RR Kew crit 14/3

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
My first ride in A-grade, with the sole objective to last as long as I could with the bunch. With no racing at Sandown tue night, A-grade numbers swelled to 35, which is alot for a midweek crit at Kew. 31 riders in B-grade meant the circuit would be a bit crowded, so any rider that was more than 1/2 a lap down would be pulled out.

45min +3 laps

Started at the back as I always do, (yeah I know not a good place to be, but it's a bad habit I've developed) and just tried to get a handle of the pace. The hammer was put down on lap 2, I was wondering what I'd got myself into.

With 22min gone the bunch slowed coming around the sweeper, a perfect chance to see what life was like at the front. Two guys jump away, and foolishly I decide to bridge the gap, this lasted for 3 laps, with HR not dropping below 185. From here it was a case of hanging on, and hoping I was still there at the end.

Passing B-grade for the second time got a bit tricky, as the leading girls refused to back off, I reckon it took almost 3 laps to complete the pass.

With 3 laps to go I tried to move up, but I was really starting to struggle, made up a bit of ground with 2 to go, but gave it up on the bell lap.
The encouragement I was getting around the circuit really helped, and made me even more determined to hang on. Really proud of my effort, and even though I found it bloody hard, I still enjoyed myself.

The Average speed was 40.6, quickest B-grade race I'd done was 37.8!

Legs are feeling the pinch today...well actually they're f#%#@#...but it was well worth it :)

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
Well done ess, just help me chase down peter next week would ya?;)

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
Jono L said:
Well done ess, just help me chase down peter next week would ya?;)
If by some miracle I've got something left in the tank, then yeah sure.. I don't mind sacrificing myself to get you off the front....now back to reality :rolleyes:

Dave A

Guest
On Mar 15, 8:24 pm, essendon93 <[email protected]
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> My first ride in A-grade, with the sole objective to last as long as I
> could with the bunch. With no racing at Sandown tue night, A-grade
> numbers swelled to 35, which is alot for a midweek crit at Kew. 31
> riders in B-grade meant the circuit would be a bit crowded, so any
> rider that was more than 1/2 a lap down would be pulled out.
>
> 45min +3 laps
>
> Started at the back as I always do, (yeah I know not a good place to
> be, but it's a bad habit I've developed) and just tried to get a handle
> of the pace. The hammer was put down on lap 2, I was wondering what I'd
> got myself into.
>
> With 22min gone the bunch slowed coming around the sweeper, a perfect
> chance to see what life was like at the front. Two guys jump away, and
> foolishly I decide to bridge the gap, this lasted for 3 laps, with HR
> not dropping below 185. From here it was a case of hanging on, and
> hoping I was still there at the end.
>
> Passing B-grade for the second time got a bit tricky, as the leading
> girls refused to back off, I reckon it took almost 3 laps to complete
> the pass.
>
> With 3 laps to go I tried to move up, but I was really starting to
> struggle, made up a bit of ground with 2 to go, but gave it up on the
> bell lap.
> The encouragement I was getting around the circuit really helped, and
> made me even more determined to hang on. Really proud of my effort,
> and even though I found it bloody hard, I still enjoyed myself.
>
> The Average speed was 40.6, quickest B-grade race I'd done was 37.8!
>
> Legs are feeling the pinch today...well actually they're f#%#@#...but
> it was well worth it :)
>
> --
> essendon93

Wow Ess!

Well Done. I feel better about the fact I could not keep up with you
guys on the last BR.

It good to see that some of the old BRs are kicking ****.

Well done guys.

DaveB

Guest
Dave A wrote:
> It good to see that some of the old BRs are kicking ****.

And some are just getting old.

Dave"about to hit one of those x0 ages"B

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
essendon93 said:
[...]

Well done, the pace was on Wednesday due to the inflated numbers. Usually, with only about 15 riders the lackey band breaks after 2-3 tough laps and the pace will drop off for the main group but with 35 it kept on stretching.

That course always rips me a new one and being 90kgs i find it hard to keep up with the little whippets.

What kit were you wearing?

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
Uhhh,

Ess would have been wearing his red lotto gear with red helmet

I was wearing black BikeNow gear...

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
Jono L said:
Uhhh,

Ess would have been wearing his red lotto gear with red helmet

I was wearing black BikeNow gear...
i met you Jono.

Dont remember the red lotto gear though...

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
byron27 said:
Well done, the pace was on Wednesday due to the inflated numbers. Usually, with only about 15 riders the lackey band breaks after 2-3 tough laps and the pace will drop off for the main group but with 35 it kept on stretching.

That course always rips me a new one and being 90kgs i find it hard to keep up with the little whippets.

What kit were you wearing?
Yep I had the Davitamon-Lotto on, riding that sexy Cervelo :)

Jono L

Well-Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
4,434
byron27 said:
i met you Jono.

Dont remember the red lotto gear though...
Yeh thought so..

Thing is Ess has nothing but red lotto tops, you'd think he's sponsored by them or something!

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
Jono L said:
Yeh thought so..

Thing is Ess has nothing but red lotto tops, you'd think he's sponsored by them or something!
I wish
When Cadel and Robbie depart then that may change. I've got a couple of Hawthorn jerseys as well, with the new one on the way...and a yellow which I use mid week ;)