RR: kew crits

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by a5hi5m, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Rolled up for my second meet of the New Year, temp was still a warm. My legs felt quite heavy and lethargic while rolling around for a look/warmup. Had already paid my cash though, so no point in not going for a few laps at least.

    Sat between the middle and back of the pack for much of the race (I actually remembered to set the lap timer this week!) and at the 15 min mark felt not too bad. I'm beginning to think I should try to stay closer to front of the pack and try and avoid some of the yoyo-ing that goes on around the corners/hills.

    With a couple of laps to go I ended up on the front coming up the hill toward the finish line and sat up a little, however someone decided to give me an encouraging push around the back end to keep me in the front. Fair enough I thought, if you want me here, i'll go at my pace and managed to actually get a bit of a breather there.

    By the time the bell lap sounded, I was feeling pretty wrecked, but was managing to hang on the back of a pack of about 12-15 riders, and pretty much stuck there until the hairpin. Rounded that, and decided F_ckit .. i cant win from here, might as well punch hard and see how close i can get.

    Sprinted up the hill going hell for leather, passed about 5 or 6 riders, and finished at about 5th place. Glanced down at the HRM and its showing 195. Somehow rolled around to the gate and got off the bike without falling off, sat down and started to re-hydrate and recover. While sitting there, figured out now I knew what maximal effort was :p. Also came away with a new figure in mind for what my MaxHR might be, and with a few ideas for what to try/do differently next week.

    Stopped the lap somewhere near the gate .. but details as follows..

    Timed: 30mins
    Dist: 18.27 kms
    Ave Spd: 35.4
    Ave Cadence: 100
    Ave HR: 176
    Max HR: 197

    (In case you didnt guess, the polar is a new toy for me, and im enjoying playing with it :p)

    Ash

    Tags:

  2. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Great report Ash. I love my heart rate monitor too. So many numbers for me to look at! :D

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    NFI what my av cadence is but 100 seems high(ish)?
    Have alwas noticed on BRs how much you grind/'push-monster-gear' so to see ave of 100 seems out of character for you?
    the alst bit is fun innit?
    Like you said/noticed, gotta be within a certain distance at the hairpin to make it count.

    stoopid cgrade did the 'chase the D', pass em and then sit up!!!
    Made Simon's job very hard tryin to designate when D should have their intermediate sprint (a first in D at Kew i fink?) and same problem for C's sprint as they were now behind D :rolleyes:
    Then D grade's finish was a mess with C hanging on to them!
    The notion of A-C + B-D (aka Glenvale) awaits, me thinks

  4. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Hmmm .. I usually sit in high 80's to mid 90's when riding, though its possible i grind a bit more on some climbs so i can keep at least one easier gear "just in case". Kangaroo ground climb I averaged 79, and about 85 for the whole BR last time I went there. That was the only time i had cadence info, and im not sure it was set up properly when I went out.

    I'll see how i go this sunday I guess.

    Ash

  5. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    a5hi5m wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > NFI what my av cadence is but 100 seems high(ish)?
    > > Have alwas noticed on BRs how much you grind/'push-monster-gear' so to
    > > see ave of 100 seems out of character for you?
    > > the alst bit is fun innit?
    > > Like you said/noticed, gotta be within a certain distance at the
    > > hairpin to make it count.
    > >

    > Hmmm .. I usually sit in high 80's to mid 90's when riding, though its
    > possible i grind a bit more on some climbs so i can keep at least one
    > easier gear "just in case". Kangaroo ground climb I averaged 79, and
    > about 85 for the whole BR last time I went there. That was the only
    > time i had cadence info, and im not sure it was set up properly when I
    > went out.
    >
    > I'll see how i go this sunday I guess.

    Don't get hung up on it .. two things that can have given you an
    unusual (or at least, noticable) average cadence of ~100.

    First, it's a crit, not a hillclimb. You're going to spin faster -
    spinning helps you react to surges better (feature!) as you can more
    easily accelerate a smaller gear than a big gear. You *want* to spin
    faster in a crit.

    Second : Polars are affected by EMI. Your average may be skewed by
    that interferance. Go near any tramtracks? Or along the yarra near
    Punt Rd? Was your top speed 104km/h and your HRmax 224? :)