RR: Kewdale Crit 20.11.2005 - A fine ending

BrettS

Guest
Executive Summary:
My last race for a while because I'm moving to Bunbury so I was keen to
win. Points race so 4 sprints (1st=5pts, 2nd=3pts, 3rd=2pts, 4th=1pt)
Got second place in 1st and 2nd sprints, won the third one, and came 2nd
in the finish sprint. Guy who won 1st and 2nd sprint came 2nd in third
sprint, but his leadout man failed to do a good enough job at the end
and he didn't place. Therefore I won by one point! Yeeeehaaaaa

How it happened:
Saw Duncan before the start who said that he was going to try to keep
off the front today. Famous last words. He spent the first 2 laps
trying to get away from the front...
Next lap round we hear the whistle for the first sprint. I make my way
to the front and in my over-excitement end up in second wheel. Down the
back straight I hop on the wheel of some other bloke who came around in
a hurry, but he didn't last too long. About 3 riders went past before
the last corner. Into the straight and I get to the front, but I'm
still 100m from the line. I can her Mick coming up the left and he
musta been on the curb cause I was sure I had closed the door well
enough. Line judge thought I got the win but the camera told a
different story.

Straight after the sprint there's a 2 man breakaway, the same 2 guys
that went last week. They were away for a lap before I jumped off the
front to try and bridge it. A lap later and I'm on the back and we come
up on the D/E grade bunch. As we came up behind them some bloke on the
front finishes his turn and switches to the right hand side of the road.
Apparently shouting "B Grade, STAY LEFT" is confusing. By the time we
got through we had been caught. Sprint lap came around and this time I
was about 6h wheel at the last corner. I followed Mick and his lead-out
man but ended up caught on the left side of the road. It was only as
his leadout man gave him a final push from behind that a gap opened up,
but it was too late. 2nd by 1/2 a wheel.

Third sprint and I was a little smarter. I stayed about midfield down
the back straight and kept a bit more corner on speed around the outside
of the bunch. Everyone went left to stop others hiding in the pocket so
the right hand side opened up beautifully. I gave it everything I had
and got to the front with about 100m to go but this time there was
no-one sitting on. Yee-ha!

About this time I was feeling that I didn't have another sprint left in
me. I asked Duncan how he was feeling and he said he was alright but
the sprints were out of his league. (Don't worry mate by the end of the
season you'll be right up there.) Thankfully there were others who
chased down a last ditch breakaway and with 2 laps to go we were all
together. Down the back straight on the last lap and I'm thinking to
myself "You're too far back". Coming into the 2nd last corner I used my
Days of Thunder technique of staying high and going around them on the
outside of the corner which worked quite well. Into the straight for
the last time and almost everyone went left except for the guy who
stayed right and went early. I was too far back to cover the move and
had to settle for 2nd.

All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...

--
Brett"On top of the world...or at least B grade"S

BrettS said:
Executive Summary:
My last race for a while because I'm moving to Bunbury so I was keen to
win....Therefore I won by one point! Yeeeehaaaaa
Congrats! Its great to hear but now I might come out and play the competition is reduced =)

All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...
I dont think Ill get a race license till Im elligble for Masters, its not that far away... at least then I wont get beaten by kids mwahaha.

till

ps: where was the capt stirling bunch this week? First sunday back on a bike since my holidays, and couldnt see anyone where they crossed the narrows *mutter*

pps: any perthites seeking stocking stuffers from probikekit soonish?

BrettS wrote:
> Executive Summary:

< SNIP>

> All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
> nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...

Well done Brett! By the time I'd left, you didn't know the
final result so congrats.

As to your comment re me getting the sprints together by the
end of the season, we'll see. Last week, an average of 36.5kph
was enough to win C-grade with a breakaway, this week, 38.8kph
was just enough to finish with the bunch in B-grade.

Somehow I have to work out how to get on the front of the race
at the right time...

DeF.

--
e-mail: [email protected]
To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

DeF wrote:
> BrettS wrote:
>
>> Executive Summary:

> < SNIP>
>

>> All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
>> nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...
>>

> Well done Brett! By the time I'd left, you didn't know the
> final result so congrats.
>
> As to your comment re me getting the sprints together by the
> end of the season, we'll see. Last week, an average of 36.5kph
> was enough to win C-grade with a breakaway, this week, 38.8kph
> was just enough to finish with the bunch in B-grade.
>
> Somehow I have to work out how to get on the front of the race
> at the right time...
>
> DeF.

Well, C-grade this week averaged nearly 38km/h so like Carl says, you
can't judge a race on it's average speeds. I can almost guarantee that
C didn't go over 50km/h when they surged. Plus, this week was a little
unusual in that it was a points race. 4 x 250-300m sprints makes a
difference to how hard the race is.

One thing I quickly found when I started racing was that you need to be
able to accelerate quickly to either keep up with and/or catch the
attacks, break off the front to catch a break or get away in the sprint.
Red light sprints are good for this. The number of times I tried
accelerating off the front of the bunch when I first started out, only
to find I was dragging 20 riders along with me!

Good luck with the rest of the season. Now that I won't be around, I
expect to hear your reports, win or lose.

--
BrettS

byron27 said:
i need some new caps. when are you looking at ordering?
Just some bling bling stuff, nothing either bulky or pricey ~$100.

till