RR: Kewdale Crit 20.11.2005 - A fine ending

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by BrettS, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Executive Summary:
    My last race for a while because I'm moving to Bunbury so I was keen to
    win. Points race so 4 sprints (1st=5pts, 2nd=3pts, 3rd=2pts, 4th=1pt)
    Got second place in 1st and 2nd sprints, won the third one, and came 2nd
    in the finish sprint. Guy who won 1st and 2nd sprint came 2nd in third
    sprint, but his leadout man failed to do a good enough job at the end
    and he didn't place. Therefore I won by one point! Yeeeehaaaaa

    How it happened:
    Saw Duncan before the start who said that he was going to try to keep
    off the front today. Famous last words. He spent the first 2 laps
    trying to get away from the front...
    Next lap round we hear the whistle for the first sprint. I make my way
    to the front and in my over-excitement end up in second wheel. Down the
    back straight I hop on the wheel of some other bloke who came around in
    a hurry, but he didn't last too long. About 3 riders went past before
    the last corner. Into the straight and I get to the front, but I'm
    still 100m from the line. I can her Mick coming up the left and he
    musta been on the curb cause I was sure I had closed the door well
    enough. Line judge thought I got the win but the camera told a
    different story.

    Straight after the sprint there's a 2 man breakaway, the same 2 guys
    that went last week. They were away for a lap before I jumped off the
    front to try and bridge it. A lap later and I'm on the back and we come
    up on the D/E grade bunch. As we came up behind them some bloke on the
    front finishes his turn and switches to the right hand side of the road.
    Apparently shouting "B Grade, STAY LEFT" is confusing. By the time we
    got through we had been caught. Sprint lap came around and this time I
    was about 6h wheel at the last corner. I followed Mick and his lead-out
    man but ended up caught on the left side of the road. It was only as
    his leadout man gave him a final push from behind that a gap opened up,
    but it was too late. 2nd by 1/2 a wheel.

    Third sprint and I was a little smarter. I stayed about midfield down
    the back straight and kept a bit more corner on speed around the outside
    of the bunch. Everyone went left to stop others hiding in the pocket so
    the right hand side opened up beautifully. I gave it everything I had
    and got to the front with about 100m to go but this time there was
    no-one sitting on. Yee-ha!

    About this time I was feeling that I didn't have another sprint left in
    me. I asked Duncan how he was feeling and he said he was alright but
    the sprints were out of his league. (Don't worry mate by the end of the
    season you'll be right up there.) Thankfully there were others who
    chased down a last ditch breakaway and with 2 laps to go we were all
    together. Down the back straight on the last lap and I'm thinking to
    myself "You're too far back". Coming into the 2nd last corner I used my
    Days of Thunder technique of staying high and going around them on the
    outside of the corner which worked quite well. Into the straight for
    the last time and almost everyone went left except for the guy who
    stayed right and went early. I was too far back to cover the move and
    had to settle for 2nd.

    All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
    nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...

    --
    Brett"On top of the world...or at least B grade"S

    Tags:

  2. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Congrats! Its great to hear but now I might come out and play the competition is reduced =)

    I dont think Ill get a race license till Im elligble for Masters, its not that far away... at least then I wont get beaten by kids mwahaha.

    till

    ps: where was the capt stirling bunch this week? First sunday back on a bike since my holidays, and couldnt see anyone where they crossed the narrows *mutter*

    pps: any perthites seeking stocking stuffers from probikekit soonish?

  3. DeF

    DeF Guest

    BrettS wrote:
    > Executive Summary:

    < SNIP>

    > All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
    > nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...

    Well done Brett! By the time I'd left, you didn't know the
    final result so congrats.

    As to your comment re me getting the sprints together by the
    end of the season, we'll see. Last week, an average of 36.5kph
    was enough to win C-grade with a breakaway, this week, 38.8kph
    was just enough to finish with the bunch in B-grade.

    Somehow I have to work out how to get on the front of the race
    at the right time...

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected]
    To reply, you'll have to remove finger.

  4. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    DeF wrote:
    > BrettS wrote:
    >
    >> Executive Summary:

    > < SNIP>
    >

    >> All in all a hard day's racing with a pleasing result. Given that I'm
    >> nearly 36 maybe I should consider retirement...
    >>

    > Well done Brett! By the time I'd left, you didn't know the
    > final result so congrats.
    >
    > As to your comment re me getting the sprints together by the
    > end of the season, we'll see. Last week, an average of 36.5kph
    > was enough to win C-grade with a breakaway, this week, 38.8kph
    > was just enough to finish with the bunch in B-grade.
    >
    > Somehow I have to work out how to get on the front of the race
    > at the right time...
    >
    > DeF.

    Well, C-grade this week averaged nearly 38km/h so like Carl says, you
    can't judge a race on it's average speeds. I can almost guarantee that
    C didn't go over 50km/h when they surged. Plus, this week was a little
    unusual in that it was a points race. 4 x 250-300m sprints makes a
    difference to how hard the race is.

    One thing I quickly found when I started racing was that you need to be
    able to accelerate quickly to either keep up with and/or catch the
    attacks, break off the front to catch a break or get away in the sprint.
    Red light sprints are good for this. The number of times I tried
    accelerating off the front of the bunch when I first started out, only
    to find I was dragging 20 riders along with me!

    Good luck with the rest of the season. Now that I won't be around, I
    expect to hear your reports, win or lose.

    --
    BrettS

  5. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    i need some new caps. when are you looking at ordering?

  6. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Just some bling bling stuff, nothing either bulky or pricey ~$100.

    till