RR - Last ride in track mitts for the year.

vernon

Guest
The weekend before last's DIY Audax turned out to be probably the last one
done in shorts in its entirety until the spring. I started this weekend's
DIY 100km Audax ride in shorts and admitted defeat when I reached Ripon
halfway towards my destination of Darlington. I'd had a short break at
Wetherby where the Remembrance Sunday service was taking place on the bridge
over the River Wharfe. It was well attended by ex-service men and the Scout
and Guide movement along with the general public.

I normally enjoy the ride to Darlington but this time despite the sun and
bracing air, a strong North/North-easterly wind was in my face for the
entire ride and was energy sapping. It was a good time however to
re-acquaint myself with the strengths and weaknesses of some of my riding
kit.

Fingerless gloves are definitely out now. When the sun dropped the
temperatures plummeted and my fingers felt the change markedly. I took the
precaution of wearing an amourguard base lyer normally used by rugby
players. It and an Aldi cycle shirt proved to be sufficient for most of the
ride with me resorting to adding an Altura Nevis jacket for the last 10km
for its wind blocking effect. I'm most impressed with the base layer made
by Canterbury. Last year it enabled me to cycle in v. low temperatures with
only two additional layers of clothing on top.

My favourite bit of the ride to Darlington is along the A61 from Ripon
towards Thirsk before branching off towards Northallerton at Busby Stoop
(what a wonderful name!). I was noticeably faster along here possibly
because the headwind was more oblique or because my legs were warmer after
donning tracksuit bottoms. I dropped in to see a friend at Croft and took
advantage of the generous time allocation for DIY 100km perms to have a
cuppa and a chat before getting my final proof of passage in Darlington
before I caught the train back to Leeds. My average speed was a lowly
14km/hr taking pedalling time alone into account and my legs are still
aching after yesterday's exertions.

It's now time to dig out my Aldi winter cycling jacket, Aldi winter gloves
and a thicker wooly hat.

On Nov 12, 9:12 pm, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The weekend before last's DIY Audax turned out to be probably the last one
> done in shorts in its entirety until the spring. I started this weekend's
> DIY 100km Audax ride in shorts and admitted defeat when I reached Ripon
> halfway towards my destination of Darlington.

<snip>
> Fingerless gloves are definitely out now. When the sun dropped the
> temperatures plummeted and my fingers felt the change markedly. I took the
> precaution of wearing an amourguard base lyer normally used by rugby
> players.

<snip>
> It's now time to dig out my Aldi winter cycling jacket, Aldi winter gloves
> and a thicker wooly hat.

Hardy man, Vernon.
I've been commuting in longs, full gloves, long jersey and gilet for a
couple of weeks now.
Early and late commutes, when the sun is down/hasn't come up yet are
getting pretty parky.

bookieb.

bookieb wrote:

> I've been commuting in longs, full gloves, long jersey and gilet for a
> couple of weeks now.
> Early and late commutes, when the sun is down/hasn't come up yet are
> getting pretty parky.

It's highly variable round here, with some snow out the back of Dundee
last night and it /was/ cold then, but soon warming up so I came back
from playing Go at the pub with no gloves on at all. Down to town this
lunchtime was also quite benign and my gloves stayed in my pocket, and
walking in to work may be in shoes, or still in Tevas and no socks.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Nov 13, 4:34 pm, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> bookieb wrote:
> > I've been commuting in longs, full gloves, long jersey and gilet for a
> > couple of weeks now.
> > Early and late commutes, when the sun is down/hasn't come up yet are
> > getting pretty parky.

> It's highly variable round here, with some snow out the back of Dundee
> last night and it /was/ cold then, but soon warming up so I came back
> from playing Go at the pub with no gloves on at all. Down to town this
> lunchtime was also quite benign and my gloves stayed in my pocket, and
> walking in to work may be in shoes, or still in Tevas and no socks.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Snow eh?

I remember snow. Used to have it round here when I was a child.
Haven't seen real snow in here years - literally.

We get the odd bit of sleet, but a few inches of real snow? Can't
remember the last time...

bookieb.

"bookieb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 13, 4:34 pm, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>> bookieb wrote:
>> > I've been commuting in longs, full gloves, long jersey and gilet for a
>> > couple of weeks now.
>> > Early and late commutes, when the sun is down/hasn't come up yet are
>> > getting pretty parky.

>> It's highly variable round here, with some snow out the back of Dundee
>> last night and it /was/ cold then, but soon warming up so I came back
>> from playing Go at the pub with no gloves on at all. Down to town this
>> lunchtime was also quite benign and my gloves stayed in my pocket, and
>> walking in to work may be in shoes, or still in Tevas and no socks.

> Snow eh?
>
> I remember snow. Used to have it round here when I was a child.
> Haven't seen real snow in here years - literally.
>
> We get the odd bit of sleet, but a few inches of real snow? Can't
> remember the last time...

I can remember the last major visitation of snow - I wrote off an FJ 1200
Yamaha in it...around 1998/9

The previous winter it took four hours to ride the Yamaha 15 miles home -
six hours faster than some of my colleagues who lived only ten miles from
work...

Not as foolhardy now. Immortal is no longer my middle name ;-)

Cant rememebr the last time ponds froze enough to skate on them....cor I'm
beggining to sound like my parents describing the winter of '47 when High
Force froze etc.....

I'm up for a mild winter again. Want to get the miles in.....