RR Liberty Lake

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    First of all Slacker will be disappointed: the gals didn't go down. The only one who went off the
    edge was Carl the ti-man who had a good laugh about it.

    It's interesting how different folks will rate the trail, what different guide books will say and
    then one's own personal experience. When Carl, a regular riding buddy had said to me, "brutal but
    you'll be fine" I knew things were fine.

    I assembled a new group this time. I emailed my all gals bike club just for grins and actually got
    several replies back, most of the "sorry I can't make it" variety. One gal emailed just totally
    stoked, she broke up with her BF of a few years who was her biking buddy, and was looking to meet
    people. We chatted, and she sounded like a lot of fun. Then, Marty a new acquaintance of mine who
    writes for Falcon guides ( don't worry I won't show him the stuff he doesn't already know about) and
    then Carl the ti-man who Craig and I ride with pretty regularly.

    this is a good sign at the trailhead: www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/sign1.jpg

    anyway.... the trail is wholly widish bigger than singletrack, the only real disappointment. But the
    surface is sweet, and we are deep in the cool shade following Liberty Creek. The grade is steady but
    not evil and eventually we end up in a rather unimpressive old growth cedar grove. Somehow it's just
    lacking that "magic" that some old grove have. But that's OK. Marty warns us that the trail is going
    to get "interesting" and sure enough: we cross the second bridge and here's the hike a bike section
    we knew was coming. No surprise. This section turns out to be maybe a mile and a half of very short
    rideable sections alternating with set of two and three steep switch backs, combined with narrow
    trail in spots and some exposure. There's step built of roots in places, it's not really rideable.
    Some of the traverse sections are long enough to ride but just barely. It's sort of a why bother
    getting on the bike if you just have to get back off type of section. Marty comments on the trail
    improvements since he wrote it up a few years ago; no more "veggy-belay" sections.

    Our gang is in good spirits and we stop at one of the many little waterfalls along the creek. We
    take a little break and along comes this beautiful sweating sapling studly little trail runner ,
    oops I mean a guy, and we get him to take the requisite group photo.
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg April the new single gal is on the left.

    So if the hike a bike is the worst of it... IMO no big deal but if you brought some whiners along,
    or someone who was not comfortable with a exposure, climbing or hiking... then you'd have trouble.
    It's not a place for beginners, certainly. The worst is over and we're on forest trail. At the point
    where you loop down, there's another trail and this sign here:
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/sign2.jpg

    The group decision is "must explore" We've all heard of more biking up here towards Mica Peak, but
    where is it exactly. The only really bad thing up here is that the park managers have built in lot
    of those really huge sharp angled berms in an effort to keep Bubba and his ATV at bay, riding
    illegally coming in through the back way. The berms don't really work, and they kind of suck for
    breaking up the flow of the trail:Oh well. We have a general idea of where we are going, but the
    topo (old) doesn't show all the current stuff. We encounter another trail runner, some one I am
    acquainted with, who lives in the area, and he give us the cool deal on other ways to access the
    area, including permission to park on his private road which saves about 1500-2000' of climbing....

    Then, we see the gate that marks the state line ( Idaho) and turn around. We backtrack down to the
    "more biking" sign and pick up the return loop which goes on the other side of the creek. It's
    actually the horse trail but surprisingly is very smooth...it alternates between a high gear subtle
    grade to pedal down, and some really fun, smooth steep down hill. It's pretty amazing how fast you
    can cover 5 miles of down!!

    It's hot as hell, but somehow we never felt it out on the trail. I sure feel it now, hiding in my
    nice cool basement after an awesome ride.

    penny

    Tags:

  2. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:15:56 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > Our gang is in good spirits and we stop at one of the many little waterfalls along the creek. We
    > take a little break and along comes this beautiful sweating sapling studly little trail runner ,
    > oops I mean a guy, and we get him to take the requisite group photo.
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg April the new single gal is on the left.

    Dang, I was hoping it was going to be a picture of the sweating sapling. ;)

    > It's hot as hell, but somehow we never felt it out on the trail. I sure feel it now, hiding in my
    > nice cool basement after an awesome ride.

    It was something like 95+ on Whoop-de-doo yesterday. :p

    gabrielle

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg April the new single gal is on the left.

    Let me know where I can e-mail the proposal!

    Bill "off to the movies...alone" S.

  4. Ruprecte

    Ruprecte Guest

    > > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg April the new
    single
    > > gal is on the left.
    >
    > Let me know where I can e-mail the proposal!
    >
    > Bill "off to the movies...alone" S.

    Penny? Did you not go to the ironman today? -Ruprect>

  5. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ruprecte thoughtfully penned:
    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg April the new single gal is on the left.
    >>
    >> Let me know where I can e-mail the proposal!
    >>
    >> Bill "off to the movies...alone" S.
    >>
    > Penny? Did you not go to the ironman today? -Ruprect>

    why would I do that, go watch OTHER people when I can go for a ride myself??!! Plus, I hate
    crowds. I didn't go to hoopfest either ( world'd largest 3 on 3 b-ball tournament) And I never do
    bloomsday either.

    penny