RR: Local exploration & reflection (long-winded)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    We're having our living room floor refinished, so I send the mother and child away from all the dust
    and fumes for a few days. I'm staying to hold down the fort (feed the animals).

    This gave me an opportunity to ride yesterday afternoon that I haven't had in a while. No curfew, no
    guilt about the Mrs. worrying about me, etc. I had to help the floor guys get going until about
    11:30 and then I was free. Where to go? I considered heading to CB for a "Classic" like 401 or 403,
    neither of which I had done in a while. But Labor Day is bound to be busy on those trails. I'm in
    the mood for solitude.

    I decided to just ride from the house. I came down with a cold over the last few days, but the sore
    throat has let up and my energy is coming back. I just did a short ride on Sunday to get my heart
    going. Yesterday I started up the same route, a rolling ~800 Ft.climb over six Miles or so towards
    Signal Peak. This route would give me ample opportunity to turn back if I don't feel good, or pretty
    much unlimited (for the time available) riding if I wanted to keep going.

    I started spinning up the initial pitch, thinking about my life. I'm a fortunate guy. I've come this
    conclusion before, but the feeling was even stronger yesterday. There was a cool breeze, bluebird
    skies, and a nice firm riding surface resulting from recent rains. My six-month-old son is doing
    really well, and charming us more and more every day. My wife is happy with her new role as a mother
    as I am about being a father. She's gotten her self back into good shape (Tony the Tiger would agree
    she looks Grrrrreat!) and will be following her passion by teaching some Spanish courses at the
    local college this fall. My work is going well and I've just gotten some nice recognition from the
    company in the form of a compensation increase and a great review.

    I snap back into the ride and realize I'm already at the top. The air is a little cooler and I take
    in the views. A hawk circles overhead and I stop for a snack. I'm feeling physically good too, so I
    continue on some beautifully buff twisty singletrack through the sage.

    I made my way to a piece of trail I've been meaning to explore. It looks a little unused, but I've
    always wanted to check it out so I head up a steep, loose climb. I climbed, descended, traversed,
    and eventually found myself just standing in the middle of the sage with some game trails twisting
    around, but no really defined route. I decided this way wasn't ready for riding, but I'll keep an
    eye out for future possibilities here. I'm overlooking a jeep trail, so I just took the game trail
    headed that way and dropped out to that jeep trail.

    At this point I've been out for several Hours, but I see a lone set of MTB tracks in the dirt. I
    could just drop back out from here, but it looks almost like these track might make a connection
    I've been wanting to make for some time. I decided to follow them back up to see if they do. After
    climbing for quite a while I eventually hit a "Spur" sign. This means I've made the connection from
    the valley floor to the Signal Mesa Gunnison Spur of the Colorado trail. This is great! I turn onto
    the spur trail, and start spinning back toward familiar territory.

    I found my way back to the little singletrack that peels off and descends through the aspens off
    Signal Mesa and back toward the house. Again the trail is in great shape and I keep finding myself
    smiling. It's been a day of good thoughts and good riding. As I pass by the top of that first
    section I climbed, I revisit my happy thoughts and smile some more.

    Then it's a bomb down the ridge top to the Rasta Gulch trail, out the contour, and back home. The
    floor is now sanded and I have some beers with the floor guys before getting a Blue Iguana
    Chimichanga and turning in early.

    I figure the ride was somewhere in the 30 Mile/3500 Ft. neighborhood (not sure because my bike
    computer sensor broke a couple of weeks ago). It took about five hours, but could probably be done
    in four minus the bushwhacking. I'm looking forward to getting back up there more this fall.

    --

    Matt

    "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Tags:

  2. Nice RR Matt, you have got the perspective nailed.

    I too did a solo yesterday, the Mrs. and I just haven't been "clicking" lately, maybe it is my time
    of the month. Sweating and breathing hard up Log Chutes seems to have straightened me out.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    <snip das goods>
    > I'm looking forward to getting back up there more this fall.

    I'll be over there for some of that really soon. It's almost time for some color riding as well.
    Good stuff and I know where you are talking about, Marlboro Country.

    JD

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We're having our living room floor refinished, so I send the mother and child away from all the
    > dust and fumes for a few days. I'm staying to hold down the fort (feed the animals).
    >
    > This gave me an opportunity to ride yesterday afternoon that I haven't had in a while. No curfew,
    > no guilt about the Mrs. worrying about me, etc. I had to help the floor guys get going until about
    > 11:30 and then I was free. Where to go? I considered heading to CB for a "Classic" like 401 or
    > 403, neither of which I had done in a while. But Labor Day is bound to be busy on those trails.
    > I'm in the mood for solitude. <snip> I figure the ride was somewhere in the 30 Mile/3500 Ft.
    > neighborhood (not sure because my bike computer sensor broke a couple of weeks ago). It took about
    > five hours, but could probably be done in four minus the bushwhacking. I'm looking forward to
    > getting back up there more this fall.

    Very Nice. Guilt-free epic riding is always awesome. And glad you're enjoying fatherhood,
    husbandhood, and riding in the hood.

    Paladin

  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I started spinning up the initial pitch, thinking about my life.

    Great RR. One of the main reasons I ride is the "mental enema" factor.

    As JD says, I'd to get over to that Marlboro Country.

    Later.

    Marty