RR: Losing Control of the Group Ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Paladin, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    We meet at the Park, its 8:15pm, finally cooling down, all set to go, but our token female is late.
    She shows up (now we are PC legal.) We had planned a long, tough one, but I change our itinerary to
    more scenic with habout 6 miles of road climbing <duck!> and 7 or 8 miles of awesome descending.

    Up Reserve Street toward the big Tablerock Mesa where there's a lighted, 60' cross. A little ways
    up, I'm in the lead, chatting with the gal, and hear some commotion behind me, some yelling,
    whatever?! Then Alex screams past us and takes a huge lead, to the point we can barely see him
    ahead. What's happenin? I learned later that he had been saying to Jim, like a mantra to get himself
    psyched up, "I'm gonna kick Brown's butt, I'm gonna kick Brown's butt..." until he got the courage
    to attack. (So whipping me's the big deal?) Ha!

    That's OK, and we catch him at the end of the pavement, waiting for us. As we approach, he takes off
    again. Whaaaat? O well, we stop for those who have water bottles, and prepare for the last lousy
    push. A steep, windy dirt road up to the stone mesa. (The Freak may remember this place: kicking
    back one night with the coolaid glasses enhancing the fireworks show down in the valley.)

    We crank it on up, and ambitious Alex, with some unknown axe to grind against me is hitting it hard.
    I'm actually ahead at one point, and we see this little side trail that goes straight up. "Where's
    that go?" he yells. "I don't know, take it and find out" [ya twit] hoping it will tire him out. I
    was joking, but he does it anyway.

    To make a long story even longer, we make it to the top, sit awhile on this huge stone bench
    overlooking the valley. Lower the seats, and head down the face, a fairly tricky descent of about
    four miles, with lots of challenges.

    Toward the bottom, we have a choice. Easy, normal and most travelled; or rare, tough and fun. I
    choose the latter for the group, and boy that was almost a mistake.

    A steep little switchback onto a bridge, scary rocky exposure to reward any false moves. I'm leading
    again, yelling back instructions to the troops. Some sphincter tightening off camber stuff that you
    could only hold your breath and roll through. Then a tight, sandy descent that was *steep* and I'm
    shouting, "weight back! Walk it if you need to." The female's behind me, she makes it down the tough
    part, then drops off the trail and her fall is stopped by a Volkswagen sized boulder. Not hurt,
    thank God. She's tough, and averages half our ages.

    I keep riding and praying that I won't have to call in Life Light, realizing this stuff was tough,
    but everybody's trying to ride it. I get toward the bottom, which is at the back of an abandoned old
    prison, and hear some screaming and yelling. Jim eventually joins us, and he's donated some blood
    and skin to the cause. Still grinning, but his "let's just straddle the bar and slide down this
    steep sucka on the feet" technique is not going into the playbook. He catapulted and cartwheeled off
    the trail pretty good.

    Another few road miles back to the park, and its 0-Dark-30 now. The others have to hit the rack, or
    whateve, but Jim and I hang out and pose, brag and try to attract attention with our ridiculous
    helmet hair and Jim's rosy red road rash.

    Paladin

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip a good read>
    > A steep, windy dirt road up to the stone mesa. (The Freak may remember this place: kicking back
    > one night with the coolaid glasses enhancing the fireworks show down in the valley.)

    Far out, man. That was great.

    Thnaks for entertaining RR, CDB. You've outdone yourself.

    JD

  3. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Cool! "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip a good read>
    > > A steep, windy dirt road up to the stone mesa. (The Freak may remember this place: kicking back
    > > one night with the coolaid glasses enhancing the fireworks show down in the valley.)
    >
    > Far out, man. That was great.
    >
    > Thnaks for entertaining RR, CDB. You've outdone yourself.
    >
    > JD

    Cool Kent

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 10:54:24 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

> [...]
    >hurt, thank God. She's tough, and averages half our ages.
    >
    >I keep riding and praying that I won't have to call in Life Light, realizing this stuff was tough,
    >but everybody's trying to ride it. I get toward the bottom, which is at the back of an abandoned
    >old prison, and hear some screaming and yelling. Jim eventually joins us, and he's donated some
    >blood and skin to the cause. Still grinning, but his "let's just straddle the bar and slide down
    >this steep sucka on the feet" technique is not going into the playbook. He catapulted and
    >cartwheeled off the trail pretty good.
    >
    >Another few road miles back to the park, and its 0-Dark-30 now. The others have to hit the rack, or
    >whateve, but Jim and I hang out and pose, brag and try to attract attention with our ridiculous
    >helmet hair and Jim's rosy red road rash.

    Very nice, very nice indeed.

    Where?

    :-]

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 12 Jun 2003 10:54:24 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >
    > >We meet at the Park, its 8:15pm, finally cooling down, all set to go, but our token female is
    > >late. She shows up (now we are PC legal.) We had planned a long, tough one, but I change our
    > >itinerary to more scenic with habout 6 miles of road climbing <duck!> and 7 or 8 miles of awesome
    > >descending. Paladin
    >
    > Very nice, very nice indeed.
    >
    > Where?

    http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Table_Rock_SS.jpg

    http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Boise_downtown_view.jpg (see the prison at the bottom
    of the pic?)

    http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Table_Rock_pan_sm.jpg (you can see the bench we
    rested on)

    Thanks GMan, those pictures help show the big picture.

    Paladin

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    Nice RR. Sounds like a fun descent. What was up with that Alex guy?

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We meet at the Park, its 8:15pm, finally cooling down, all set to go, but our token female is
    > late. She shows up (now we are PC legal.) We had planned a long, tough one, but I change our
    > itinerary to more scenic with habout 6 miles of road climbing <duck!> and 7 or 8 miles of awesome
    > descending.

    <snip the good goods>

    > Another few road miles back to the park, and its 0-Dark-30 now. The others have to hit the rack,
    > or whateve, but Jim and I hang out and pose, brag and try to attract attention with our ridiculous
    > helmet hair and Jim's rosy red road rash.
    >
    > Paladin

    Well, I can see you were trying, but you ain't achieved success until you busted one o' that lot up
    good, heheheheh....

    Sound like most excellent fun was had by all, wot-oh old fruit!

    Shaun aRe

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Nice RR. Sounds like a fun descent. What was up with that Alex guy?

    I really don't know. Evening too beautiful, rest of the riders too much fun to ride with that I
    really didn't give it a second thought. I'm sure he meant the attack and lose us all in fun. I
    usually hook up with him about once a week. And he's a pretty good friend, too. He's only been
    riding a couple years, but he's one of those maddening types that are so naturally athletic, it all
    seems to come easy to him.

    One thing I've noticed though, is after 4 to 5 miles of heavy climbing or technical riding,
    he'll start fading, and I'm getting warmed up. Must be something about metabolism. But he can
    usually smoke me on the shorter <10mi rides. And I don't think he's biffed more than a clipless
    fallover, too.

    He's coming to AMB-ID.

    Paladin

  9. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > We meet at the Park, its 8:15pm, finally cooling down, all set to go, but our token female is
    > > late. She shows up (now we are PC legal.) We had planned a long, tough one, but I change our
    > > itinerary to more scenic with habout 6 miles of road climbing <duck!> and 7 or 8 miles of
    > > awesome descending.
    >
    > <snip the good goods>
    >
    > > Another few road miles back to the park, and its 0-Dark-30 now. The others have to hit the rack,
    > > or whateve, but Jim and I hang out and pose, brag and try to attract attention with our
    > > ridiculous helmet hair and Jim's rosy red road rash.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > Well, I can see you were trying, but you ain't achieved success until you busted one o' that lot
    > up good, heheheheh....
    >
    > Sound like most excellent fun was had by all, wot-oh old fruit!
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Jim nearly qualified. At least he did it up good last year at AMB-ID where he busted a basket of
    ribs, right in front of me, and I alternated riding ahead, running back, walking his bike to mine,
    then repeating the process for about 5 miles. (I knew I shouldn't have bought him those v-brakes)

    Bring em back alive, that's my motto. Saves on lawsuit settlements, getting beaten up by angry
    wives, and what not.

    Paladin

  10. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Nice RR. Sounds like a fun descent. What was up with that Alex guy?
    >
    > I really don't know. Evening too beautiful, rest of the riders too much fun to ride with that I
    > really didn't give it a second thought. I'm sure he meant the attack and lose us all in fun. I
    > usually hook up with him about once a week. And he's a pretty good friend, too. He's only been
    > riding a couple years, but he's one of those maddening types that are so naturally athletic, it
    > all seems to come easy to him.
    >
    > One thing I've noticed though, is after 4 to 5 miles of heavy climbing or technical riding,
    > he'll start fading, and I'm getting warmed up. Must be something about metabolism. But he can
    > usually smoke me on the shorter <10mi rides. And I don't think he's biffed more than a clipless
    > fallover, too.
    >
    > He's coming to AMB-ID.
    >
    > Paladin

    jeez, this now gives us what, 20 guys and two women?

    penny

  11. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 21:36:45 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

    >Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 12 Jun 2003 10:54:24 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >>
    >> >We meet at the Park, its 8:15pm, finally cooling down, all set to go, but our token female is
    >> >late. She shows up (now we are PC legal.) We had planned a long, tough one, but I change our
    >> >itinerary to more scenic with habout 6 miles of road climbing <duck!> and 7 or 8 miles of
    >> >awesome descending. Paladin
    >>
    >> Very nice, very nice indeed.
    >>
    >> Where?
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Table_Rock_SS.jpg

    There's a nice one for ol' Petey!

    >http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Boise_downtown_view.jpg (see the prison at the bottom
    >of the pic?)
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/TableRock/Table_Rock_pan_sm.jpg (you can see the bench we
    >rested on)
    >
    >Thanks GMan, those pictures help show the big picture.
    >
    >Paladin

    Nice pics.

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip the idiosynchrases of Alex>
    > He's coming to AMB-ID.

    Souns lahk dat boy needs ta be learnt reel gud.

    JD

  13. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>... <snip the idiosynchrases of Alex>
    > > He's coming to AMB-ID.
    >
    > Souns lahk dat boy needs ta be learnt reel gud.
    >
    > JD

    En you be jest dat long-haired country boy to learn him reel gud. Teach dat boah a lesson!

    Paladin

  14. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 13 Jun 2003 19:52:21 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >
    > >[email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    > >> news:<[email protected]>... <snip the idiosynchrases of Alex>
    > >>
    > >> Souns lahk dat boy needs ta be learnt reel gud.
    > >>
    > >> JD
    > >
    > >En you be jest dat long-haired country boy to learn him reel gud. Teach dat boah a lesson!
    > >
    > >Paladin
    >
    > Let me just say, on behalf of the not so visable southern contingent of AM-B, you guys are a
    > couple of morons.
    >
    > Dave (Southern by the grace of God!)

    Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta our
    bidnes, ya heah?

    Paladin

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta our
    > bidnes, ya heah?

    Thanks for the laugh, CDB.

    JD

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    news:<[email protected]

    > > Well, I can see you were trying, but you ain't achieved success until
    you
    > > busted one o' that lot up good, heheheheh....
    > >
    > > Sound like most excellent fun was had by all, wot-oh old fruit!
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    >

    > Jim nearly qualified. At least he did it up good last year at AMB-ID where he busted a basket
    > of ribs,

    BBQ or chinese?

    > right in front of me, and I alternated riding ahead, running back, walking his bike to mine, then
    > repeating the process for about 5 miles. (I knew I shouldn't have bought him those v-brakes)

    I bet that sight confused any onlookers mightily ',;~}~

    > Bring em back alive, that's my motto. Saves on lawsuit settlements, getting beaten up by angry
    > wives, and what not.

    Yes - it's the angry wives I'd be most afraid of..........heheheh..........

    Shaun aRe

  17. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 15 Jun 2003 21:37:17 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

    >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> >En you be jest dat long-haired country boy to learn him reel gud. Teach dat boah a lesson!
    >> >
    >> >Paladin
    >>
    >> Let me just say, on behalf of the not so visable southern contingent of AM-B, you guys are a
    >> couple of morons.
    >>
    >> Dave (Southern by the grace of God!)
    >

    >Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta our
    >bidnes, ya heah?
    >
    >Paladin

    hahahaha, as if.

  18. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 16 Jun 2003 10:31:24 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta
    >> our bidnes, ya heah?
    >
    >Thanks for the laugh, CDB.
    >
    >JD

    peas in a pod....

  19. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:09:21 -0400, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 16 Jun 2003 10:31:24 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    >>news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta
    >>> our bidnes, ya heah?
    >>
    >>Thanks for the laugh, CDB.
    >>
    >>JD
    >

    >peas in a pod....

    Why is it that your hypocrisy and lack of self-control is still funny, even after the
    umpteenth time?

  20. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 15 Jun 2003 21:37:17 -0700, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:
    >
    > >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> Let me just say, on behalf of the not so visable southern contingent of AM-B, you guys are a
    > >> couple of morons.
    > >>
    > >> Dave (Southern by the grace of God!)
    > >

    > >Wenz we needz yur pinyun fraidyDog, wheel beet id outta ya. In da meantime, keep ya noze outta
    > >our bidnes, ya heah?
    > >
    > >Paladin
    >
    > hahahaha, as if.

    Does 'as if' have its roots in Valley Girl speak? Like, gag me with a spoon, dude! Totally!

    /s