RR: Love and Hate

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tom Walker, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    This time of year I have a love/hate relationship with mountain biking and New England. I love them
    both dearly but sometimes I forget how much.

    I've been away from the alt.mt-b for a while now and away from riding for almost as long. Its all
    started with me meeting a girl last spring and we all know how that can alter a person's riding
    habits. Then we got hit with an ungodly cold and snowy winter here. All but the hardiest and most
    committed riders were off their bikes from December until a couple of weeks ago.

    This is where the love and hate start to come in.

    I love the fact that New England has real seasons. Spring, summer, winter, and fall are all very
    pronounced here. There's no blending one into the other. Sometimes, however, they last longer than
    they're supposed to. I hate that. This winter lasted 14 years and it was cold. Real cold.

    Spring is supposedly here although anyone who's lived here long enough knows not to trust it until
    some time in June. Seeing my riding buddies various "season kick off" events started to get my
    juices flowing again to ride but this bring us to another love and hate issue.

    I hate the anticipation of the first rides of the season. How out of shape am I? Will I have a
    chance in hell of keeping up with the people I could toast last season? Will I even remember my
    favorite loop? Can my atrophied arms lift my bike over my head to put it on the roof rack?

    After a couple of ugly rides where some of my worst fears were confirmed I decided to take advantage
    of a gorgeous sunny day this week and load the bike onto the car for a post work ride, solo. I love
    riding alone because I ride at my own pace. No stopping to wait for slow pokes. No extended bullshit
    breaks. No discussions over which loop to ride or in what direction. I hate it because I have to
    rely on my will power to get my lazy ass out on the trails after work. After all, there's no one
    waiting for me at the trailhead and no one would know if I bagged in favor of a Friends rerun.

    I managed to overcome my laziness and fears of a crappy ride in which I get lost on my regular loop
    and have to ride out in the dark. I rode and rode well. the air was crisp, the sun was still
    shining, the bugs have yet to begin their blood harvest, and I remembered my old loop with ease.

    Its funny how all the things you worry about melt away when you ride. Everything goes away and its
    just you and the trail. Even the worries about whether or not you can clear a log or roll a rock
    disappear when you're grooving on a nice piece of singletrack. God I feel sorry for people who don't
    do this. The love is back, baby. Bring it on!

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 23 Apr 2003 06:54:44 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote:

    >This time of year I have a love/hate relationship with mountain biking and New England. I love them
    >both dearly but sometimes I forget how much.
    >
    >I've been away from the alt.mt-b for a while now and away from riding for almost as long. Its all
    >started with me meeting a girl last spring and we all know how that can alter a person's riding
    >habits. Then we got hit with an ungodly cold and snowy winter here. All but the hardiest and most
    >committed riders were off their bikes from December until a couple of weeks ago.
    >
    >This is where the love and hate start to come in.
    >
    >I love the fact that New England has real seasons. Spring, summer, winter, and fall are all very
    >pronounced here. There's no blending one into the other. Sometimes, however, they last longer than
    >they're supposed to. I hate that. This winter lasted 14 years and it was cold. Real cold.
    >
    >Spring is supposedly here although anyone who's lived here long enough knows not to trust it until
    >some time in June. Seeing my riding buddies various "season kick off" events started to get my
    >juices flowing again to ride but this bring us to another love and hate issue.
    >
    >I hate the anticipation of the first rides of the season. How out of shape am I? Will I have a
    >chance in hell of keeping up with the people I could toast last season? Will I even remember my
    >favorite loop? Can my atrophied arms lift my bike over my head to put it on the roof rack?
    >
    >After a couple of ugly rides where some of my worst fears were confirmed I decided to take
    >advantage of a gorgeous sunny day this week and load the bike onto the car for a post work ride,
    >solo. I love riding alone because I ride at my own pace. No stopping to wait for slow pokes. No
    >extended bullshit breaks. No discussions over which loop to ride or in what direction. I hate it
    >because I have to rely on my will power to get my lazy ass out on the trails after work. After all,
    >there's no one waiting for me at the trailhead and no one would know if I bagged in favor of a
    >Friends rerun.
    >
    >I managed to overcome my laziness and fears of a crappy ride in which I get lost on my regular loop
    >and have to ride out in the dark. I rode and rode well. the air was crisp, the sun was still
    >shining, the bugs have yet to begin their blood harvest, and I remembered my old loop with ease.
    >
    >Its funny how all the things you worry about melt away when you ride. Everything goes away and its
    >just you and the trail. Even the worries about whether or not you can clear a log or roll a rock
    >disappear when you're grooving on a nice piece of singletrack. God I feel sorry for people who
    >don't do this. The love is back, baby. Bring it on!
    >
    >[email protected]

    Damn nice RR Tom. Thanks

    Dave

  3. Tom says:

    > This winter lasted 14 years and it was cold. Real cold.

    No sh*t!

    >I hate the anticipation of the first rides of the season. How out of shape am I?

    Hope you're in better shape than I was when I went out the first time..... Ugh!!!!!

    >God I feel sorry for people who don't do this. The love is back, baby. Bring it on!

    Amen.

    Steve fellow NE-er

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This time of year I have a love/hate relationship with mountain biking and New England. I love
    > them both dearly but sometimes I forget how much.

    <snip excellent report>

    Glad to see that you're still around and riding strong, Tom. Are you going to JT this year?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    Tom Walker wrote:
    > Its all started with me meeting a girl last spring

    <queue "taps">

    > and we all know how that can alter a person's riding habits. Then we got hit with an ungodly cold
    > and snowy winter here. All but the hardiest and most committed riders were off their bikes from
    > December until a couple of weeks ago.

    Thank's for the props ;-)

    > Can my atrophied arms lift my bike over my head to put it on the roof rack?

    12 Oz Curls can help.

    > Its funny how all the things you worry about melt away when you ride. Everything goes away and its
    > just you and the trail.

    Better than a Vallium!

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 23 Apr 2003 06:54:44 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote:

    [snip good stuff]

    >After a couple of ugly rides where some of my worst fears were confirmed I decided to take
    >advantage of a gorgeous sunny day this week and load the bike onto the car for a post work ride,
    >solo. I love riding alone because I ride at my own pace. No stopping to wait for slow pokes. No
    >extended bullshit breaks. No discussions over which loop to ride or in what direction. I hate it
    >because I have to rely on my will power to get my lazy ass out on the trails after work. After all,
    >there's no one waiting for me at the trailhead and no one would know if I bagged in favor of a
    >Friends rerun.

    ;-) very nice,

    >I managed to overcome my laziness and fears of a crappy ride in which I get lost on my regular loop
    >and have to ride out in the dark. I rode and rode well. the air was crisp, the sun was still
    >shining, the bugs have yet to begin their blood harvest, and I remembered my old loop with ease.
    >
    >Its funny how all the things you worry about melt away when you ride. Everything goes away and its
    >just you and the trail. Even the worries about whether or not you can clear a log or roll a rock
    >disappear when you're grooving on a nice piece of singletrack. God I feel sorry for people who
    >don't do this. The love is back, baby. Bring it on!

    Incredible RR, very real!

    >[email protected]

    Remember New England may have seasons but MTBing doesn't.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  7. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Glad to see that you're still around and riding strong, Tom. Are you going to JT this year?
    >
    > - CA-G

    Thanks, Carla. I am indeed going this year. In fact, I think we have about 20 people going this year
    from my little riding crew. Word has gotten out about how sweet the riding is and how fun the
    weekend is.

    Tom

  8. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Glad to see that you're still around and riding strong, Tom. Are you
    going
    > > to JT this year?
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    >
    > Thanks, Carla. I am indeed going this year. In fact, I think we have about 20 people going this
    > year from my little riding crew. Word has gotten out about how sweet the riding is and how fun the
    > weekend is.
    >
    > Tom

    Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it this year :-(. Make sure you post pics and a RR of
    the event.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  9. John G

    John G Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:
    > Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it this year :-(.

    <harrumph> No Maudite for YOU!

  10. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Unfortunately, we won't be able to make it this year :-(. Make sure you post pics and a RR of
    > the event.
    >
    > - CA-G

    Well, I hope you can make it due to another fun event going on at the same time! I will definitely
    post some RRs and pics!

    [email protected]