RR: Maybe I am getting stronger

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Craig Brossman, May 6, 2003.

  1. On Saturday morning Patrick and I had thought about a ride, but he couldn't go in the morning and I
    couldn't get time in the afternoon. "Tomorrow, unless it is raining of snowing at exactly the time
    we plan, we ARE riding". Sunday came, it had snowed a bit the evening before, but true to our plans
    we went. We left from his house in town, about 3.5 miles to the trail head of Colorado Trail up
    Junction Creek. The trail is damp, but not at all muddy, the creek is flowing well, no one else
    around with a little snow dusted everywhere. Patrick usually kicks my butt, he is strong, in his
    twenties, and a very good rider. I've been riding a lot lately, so I felt this would be a good test.
    Once the climb starts, it is a few miles to Guddy's Rest. Not too technical a climb, but steep
    enough to get a sweat up. Still cold, but warming fast, we comment that it feels like fall instead
    of spring. I hang on Pat's wheel with little difficulty, maybe he is just warming up. We hang out at
    the rest for a bit, what a beautiful morning. You can hear the creek some 1000 feet below, no other
    bikers or hikers around, steam coming from our breath. We continue on. Over to Hoffin's (sp)
    Connection and drop down into Lightner Creek. (Remember when they brought the herd in in City
    Slickers, it was filmed in this area). I feel real good and take the lead, pretty fast down hill,
    the trail is in great shape, the snow made it tacky in this area. At the bottom we start the climb
    back up again on Dry Fork Trail. This is a lollypop-loop. The climb is nice, a little pocked up from
    cattle, wetter and slick in spots (the Python on the rear is really pissing me off), but easy to
    sustain, nothing too technical. Still hanging on Patrick's wheel. We arrive back at Guddy's Rest and
    continue down into the Junction Creek drainage. Now we begin to see other trail users and have to
    take it easy in spots. Lots of blind corners, switch backs and all. What a fun down hill (why is it
    you only realize how much uphill you did when you go down it?). Back to the road and cruise back to
    his house. He is coasting much faster than I but I still have lots of legs so I can hang ok. I get
    to my truck and have already noticed my rear wheel is a bit wobbly, perhaps I kicked it out of true
    somewhere. I lift the bike and can barely spin the wheel a 1/4 of a turn. How long have I been
    riding like this? Oh well, I had not problems hanging on this ride (and Patrick told me he was
    working pretty hard) and at least some of it was with a seized rear wheel. Maybe all this road
    training is helping a bit. 23 miles, seized rear wheel, lots of energy left.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Tags:

  2. Nice report. That's one of my favorite rides in the area. I never feel as if I've arrived in Durango
    until I've ridden up to Gudy's.

    Still up for a beer?

  3. Craig Brossman wrote:
    > On Saturday morning Patrick and I had thought about a ride, but he couldn't snip<

    > (why is it you only realize how much uphill you did when you go down it?).

    See, for me, its usually "why is it you only realize how much downhill you did when you go up it?".

    >snip< I get to my truck and have already noticed my rear wheel is a bit wobbly, perhaps I kicked it
    >out of true somewhere. I lift the bike and can barely spin the wheel a 1/4 of a turn. How long have
    >I been riding like this? Oh well, I had not problems hanging on this ride (and Patrick told me he
    >was working pretty hard) and at least some of it was with a seized rear wheel. Maybe all this road
    >training is helping a bit. 23 miles, seized rear wheel, lots of energy left.

    I had a similar (but smaller) effect when I replaced my bottom bracket and crankset. I took the
    bottom bracket out, and could barely turn it by hand. it was that gunked up. It might have been
    placebo, what with new parts, a pound of the bike, etc., but I swear I was riding a gear higher than
    normal at least.

    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    Nice RR!

    Jon Bond

  4. "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I had a similar (but smaller) effect when I replaced my bottom bracket and crankset. I took the
    > bottom bracket out, and could barely turn it by hand. it was that gunked up. It might have been
    > placebo, what with new parts, a pound of the bike, etc., but I swear I was riding a gear higher
    > than normal at least.
    >

    > Nice RR!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Turns out that the free wheel may have come a little loose and added pressure to the drive side
    cone, thus causing all the stiction. Rebuild tonight, ride tomorrow!
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  5. Tom Porter

    Tom Porter Guest

    I will be doing a couple hill climb races on paved roads this summer. I will be using a hard tail
    MTB made lighter with a rigid aluminum fork and skinny slicks. With these mods, it is lighter than
    my road bike, without the hassle of changing out the gearing.

    However, I can barely fit Conti Grand Prix 26 x 1" tires on my Bontrager Race (tubeless compatible)
    rims. These tires have a wire bead. Once I get them on (with 1" tubes), they hold pressure well, but
    they have at least one flat spot which renders them unrideable. It appears that they are stretched
    to the limit around these rims, even though they are supposed to fit.

    Can anyone recommend a light, skinny (1" or 1.2") slick? Can anyone recommend a 26" rim or built-up
    wheel that is narrower than the typical 26" wheel? The width of the rim is one dimension that is
    hard to come by when shopping for wheels/rims, since they must all be close to standard width.

    I think Mavic has a new wheel that is 700c with MTB hub width for this purpose, but it can only be
    used with disc brakes. I have canti brakes.

    Your help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Tom