RR: McKeldin - Single Speed thinking

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Martees, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Martees

    Martees Guest

    Tossed the bike onto the rack behind the CJ and ferried it over to McKeldin. The weather is just
    about perfect. Mid 80's; slight breeze; no bugs to eat; very little mud; no people (shift work now).

    Took the entrance trail in and up the first long hill. It was cooler under the trees but not much.
    This time of year is neat because there are no leaves on the trees and it's warm so you can see the
    terrain clearly and watch the sweep of the trails long before you get to it. I did notice though
    that I have a spoke lose and creaking.

    While I was riding I couldn't help but think about a number of things. Not deep thinking mind you
    which is what I like about MTB'ing but the "skimming" kind. Moving from one topic to another almost
    in timing with the terrain. I did spend some time though thinking about SS's. I STILL DON'T GET IT.

    The one thought that stuck when I thought about SS's, like buying a car and discussing air
    conditioning. Sure the compressor sucks horse power but I wouldn't have a car without it (unless you
    count my CJ!).

    Oh well. Nice ride and great times!

    Marty

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:42:16 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tossed the bike onto the rack behind the CJ and ferried it over to McKeldin. The weather is
    >just about perfect. Mid 80's; slight breeze; no bugs to eat; very little mud; no people (shift
    >work now).
    >
    >Took the entrance trail in and up the first long hill. It was cooler under the trees but not much.
    >This time of year is neat because there are no leaves on the trees and it's warm so you can see the
    >terrain clearly and watch the sweep of the trails long before you get to it. I did notice though
    >that I have a spoke lose and creaking.
    >
    >While I was riding I couldn't help but think about a number of things. Not deep thinking mind you
    >which is what I like about MTB'ing but the "skimming" kind. Moving from one topic to another almost
    >in timing with the terrain. I did spend some time though thinking about SS's. I STILL DON'T GET IT.
    >
    >The one thought that stuck when I thought about SS's, like buying a car and discussing air
    >conditioning. Sure the compressor sucks horse power but I wouldn't have a car without it (unless
    >you count my CJ!).
    >
    >Oh well. Nice ride and great times!
    >
    >Marty

    Glad you rode McKeldin. I went out about 5:45 this morning to Avalon and was shocked and awed by
    what I saw. The Clueless Barneys are taking over. Look for my RR later, truly sad.

    :-]

  3. Gman

    Gman Guest

    > While I was riding I couldn't help but think about a number of things. Not deep thinking mind you
    > which is what I like about MTB'ing but the "skimming" kind. Moving from one topic to another
    > almost in timing with the terrain. I did spend some time though thinking about SS's. I STILL
    > DON'T GET IT.

    Been there, thought that, then I built up an SS...

  4. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:42:16 -0500, "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Tossed the bike onto the rack behind the CJ and ferried it over to
    McKeldin.
    > >The weather is just about perfect. Mid 80's; slight breeze; no bugs to
    eat;
    > >very little mud; no people (shift work now).
    > >
    > >Took the entrance trail in and up the first long hill. It was cooler
    under
    > >the trees but not much. This time of year is neat because there are no leaves on the trees and
    > >it's warm so you can see the terrain clearly and watch the sweep of the trails long before you
    > >get to it. I did notice
    though
    > >that I have a spoke lose and creaking.
    > >
    > >While I was riding I couldn't help but think about a number of things.
    Not
    > >deep thinking mind you which is what I like about MTB'ing but the
    "skimming"
    > >kind. Moving from one topic to another almost in timing with the terrain.
    > >did spend some time though thinking about SS's. I STILL DON'T GET IT.
    > >
    > >The one thought that stuck when I thought about SS's, like buying a car
    and
    > >discussing air conditioning. Sure the compressor sucks horse power but I wouldn't have a car
    > >without it (unless you count my CJ!).
    > >
    > >Oh well. Nice ride and great times!
    > >
    > >Marty
    >
    > Glad you rode McKeldin. I went out about 5:45 this morning to Avalon and was shocked and awed by
    > what I saw. The Clueless Barneys are taking over. Look for my RR later, truly sad.
    >
    > Peace, Bill

    Great, just great. Here I've been riding the road for the last month while it's wet, and the barneys
    are ruining the singletrack. I figured there would be some amount of idiots, but it sounds bad.

    Alex

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tossed the bike onto the rack behind the CJ and ferried it over to McKeldin. The weather is
    > just about perfect. Mid 80's; slight breeze; no bugs to eat; very little mud; no people (shift
    > work now).
    >
    > snip>
    > I STILL DON'T GET IT.
    >
    > The one thought that stuck when I thought about SS's, like buying a car and discussing air
    > conditioning. Sure the compressor sucks horse power but I wouldn't have a car without it (unless
    > you count my CJ!).
    >
    > Oh well. Nice ride and great times!
    >
    > Marty

    If you're a carnivore, you have the whole gamut of options from calling for a pizza delivery boy to
    bring it to your recliner, where you sit with beer in hand, all the way to the other extreme of
    hunting the animal down and killing it with your bare hands, a bow, a knife, a gun. Bowhunting is
    like singlespeeding. Why would a hunter forsake his rifle and his scope (I just don't get it!). Why
    hunt when there're grocery stores everywhere? (I just don't get it!)

    If you like to travel, you can ride in a large, air-conditioned tour bus and watch the world go by
    from your reclining coach seat, or you can get out and hoof it. Why walk, when you can ride in
    air-conditioned comfort with muzak in the background? Give up my climate-controlled environment to
    walk in the heat, the rain, the wind? Let's say it all together, class, (I just don't get it!).

    You like entertainment, and you propose to go to a live stage production. Your friends say, whoaah,
    dude, you're giving up car chases, computer enhanced graphics and animation, all that fake,
    high-tech stuff we just loooovvvee in the movies, to sit there and watch people stand on stage and
    talk???? Whaaat? Ready class, on 3: (I just don't get it!)

    O well, if I haven't made my point, I never will. It's like eating oysters. You gotta try it
    to "get it."

    Paladin

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    [email protected] (Paladin) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I STILL DON'T GET IT.

    me neither too!!

    > If you're a carnivore, you have the whole gamut of options from calling for a pizza delivery boy
    > to bring it to your recliner, where you sit with beer in hand, all the way to the other extreme of
    > hunting the animal down and killing it with your bare hands, a bow, a knife, a gun. Bowhunting is
    > like singlespeeding. Why would a hunter forsake his rifle and his scope (I just don't get it!).

    Then you've never heard brother Ted's Spirit of the Wild calling you!! (too bad!)

    Why hunt when
    > there're grocery stores everywhere? (I just don't get it!)

    It's the Spirit of the Wild!! You don't get IT, It gets you!

    > If you like to travel, you can ride in a large, air-conditioned tour bus and watch the world go by
    > from your reclining coach seat, or you can get out and hoof it. Why walk, when you can ride in
    > air-conditioned comfort with muzak in the background? Give up my climate-controlled environment to
    > walk in the heat, the rain, the wind? Let's say it all together, class, (I just don't get it!).

    Can't argue with ya there. I've been on some pretty damn nice busses. Million dollar buses. I
    caouldn't think of a better way to travel.

    > You like entertainment, and you propose to go to a live stage production. Your friends say,
    > whoaah, dude, you're giving up car chases, computer enhanced graphics and animation, all that
    > fake, high-tech stuff we just loooovvvee in the movies, to sit there and watch people stand on
    > stage and talk???? Whaaat? Ready class, on 3: (I just don't get it!)

    Then you'd be an uncultured clod!

    > O well, if I haven't made my point, I never will.

    Ok then, you won't. Sometimes ya' just gotta let the kids stuff go! Kinda like long hair on guy's.
    (Whoops, sorry there ponytail!) And that comes from someone who swore he'd never get a haircut!!

    It's like eating
    > oysters. You gotta try it to "get it."

    I love oysters, I hate Adult-BMX's. I get it just fine.

    Dave (not much for S&M!)

    > Paladin

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 4 Apr 2003 11:45:40 -0800, [email protected] (Paladin) wrote:

    [snip Paladin's SS secrets]

    >Paladin

    Well said Paladin.

    :-]

  8. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Tossed the bike onto the rack behind the CJ and ferried it over to
    McKeldin.
    > > The weather is just about perfect. Mid 80's; slight breeze; no bugs to
    eat;
    > > very little mud; no people (shift work now).
    > >
    > > snip>
    > > I STILL DON'T GET IT.
    > >
    > > The one thought that stuck when I thought about SS's, like buying a car
    and
    > > discussing air conditioning. Sure the compressor sucks horse power but I wouldn't have a car
    > > without it (unless you count my CJ!).
    > >
    > > Oh well. Nice ride and great times!
    > >
    > > Marty
    >
    > If you're a carnivore, you have the whole gamut of options from calling for a pizza delivery boy
    > to bring it to your recliner, where you sit with beer in hand, all the way to the other extreme of
    > hunting the animal down and killing it with your bare hands, a bow, a knife, a gun. Bowhunting is
    > like singlespeeding. Why would a hunter forsake his rifle and his scope (I just don't get it!).
    > Why hunt when there're grocery stores everywhere? (I just don't get it!)

    I read the above rel to bowhunting vs hunting and I actually think I saw the glare of the light bulb
    over my shoulder. THAT description is the tipping point. I think I get

    God help me.

    Score a victory for Paladin.

    Marty