RR McMud and some mud and a race

Penny S.

Guest
As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet LaRae
( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy race. She
convinced me to ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first lap I just had
to get my bike legs going (first time out this year) and second lap it all came back to me.

OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still going this am. I keep saying
to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again. Pack the goretex, some
tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.

The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway, one
or two train bridges and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park. Normally
I've be having a fit about the mud pits... but face it... in this park the only fair weather
activities are gay cruising and homeless camping. Not an environmentally sensitive area, what with
all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the undergrowth.

Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the pine trees,

OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a couple
of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits, did
totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
lycra) and went on my merry way.

All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe
there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
> couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
> did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
> XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
> lycra) and went on my merry way.

Slacker went all that way for a race?

> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I
was
> done and ready for another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I
> was the only old
babe
> there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
>
> Penny

A win is a win and don't let anyone tell you any different. WTG!!!

Mike

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet
> LaRae ( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy
> race. She convinced me
> ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first lap I just had to get my bike
> legs going (first time out this year) and second
lap
> it all came back to me.
>
> OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still
going
> this am. I keep saying to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again.
> Pack the goretex, some tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.
>
> The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
> park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway,
> one or two train
bridges
> and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park. Normally I've be having a fit
> about the mud pits... but face it... in
this
> park the only fair weather activities are gay cruising and homeless
camping.
> Not an environmentally sensitive area, what with all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the
> undergrowth.
>
> Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the
pine
> trees,
>
> OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
> couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
> did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
> XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
> lycra) and went on my merry way.
>
> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I
was
> done and ready for another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I
> was the only old
babe
> there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..

GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked ****!

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
>> another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old
>> babe there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
>
> GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked ****!
>

> Shaun aRe

It's all in the original post. You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.

Penny

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
> >> another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old
> >> babe there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
> >
> > GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked ****!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
>
> It's all in the original post.

You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.

> You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.

I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```

Shaun aRe

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>>> GWF! So, how many others did you beat, from whatever category? - Sure you musta kicked ****!
>>>
>>> Shaun aRe
>>
>> It's all in the original post.
>
> You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.
>
>> You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.
>
> I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```

Ok, ok.... I don't know how many women were in the class. 10-15? I got a slow start (last) and
passed 4 other women in the first lap. All the beginner women started at the same time, tho we were
on the course with beginner men and beginner teen boys, who all started at intervals before us.

Everyone I passed I stayed in front of. Does that help?

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As y'all should know by know, got the lock off my bike Thursday. the original plan was to meet
> LaRae ( cutiepie) down at High Bridge park to check out the course for the McMud fest, an easy
> race. She convinced me to ride beginner class with her. We rode the lap 2x yesterday... first
> lap I just had to get my bike legs going (first time out this year) and second lap it all came
> back to me.
>
> OK, Today is race day. It's been a steady rain since last night, still going this am. I keep
> saying to myself " I will not weenie out due to the weather" over and over again. Pack the
> goretex, some tea in a thermos, and load up the gear.
>
> The course is just a windy ( think super twisty) loop, 3.2 miles through a scummy neglected little
> park at the confluence of Latah Creek and the Spokane River. The "high bridges" are one freeway,
> one or two train bridges and a double lane thoroughfare, all above us at one end of the park.
> Normally I've be having a fit about the mud pits... but face it... in this park the only fair
> weather activities are gay cruising and homeless camping. Not an environmentally sensitive area,
> what with all the condoms, beer bottles and syringes in the undergrowth.
>
> Anyway, a few little tiny climbs, a lot of mud, windy trail thought the pine trees,
>
> OK... just out to have fun, totally non aggressive start, passed three girls, got lapped by a
> couple of kids, nailed corners that gave me fits yesterday, hung on for dear life in the mud pits,
> did totally awesome on the short/steep climbs. 3 laps for 10 miles. Then I passed the lone
> XC/downhill guy ( rules: bike must have 12" travel, one front ring, big tires, weigh +#35 and no
> lycra) and went on my merry way.
>
> All the winter spinning's paid off, I was ready for another lap when I was done and ready for
> another ride tomorrow. Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe
> there so I still haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
>
> Penny

Congratulations! Fun report on a sloppy race, but you're back in the saddle. Any pics?

Paladin

Paladin wrote:
>> Hey won my category: Beginner Old Babes...(40+) but I was the only old babe there so I still
>> haven't figured out if it really counts or not..
>>
>> Penny
>

> Congratulations! Fun report on a sloppy race, but you're back in the saddle. Any pics?
>
> Paladin

Hah you missed the post where Craig dropped the digital camera not once but twice into the crawl
space (asbestos dust? zonolite dust?) while looking at the underside of the roof. *system error*
*system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system error* *system
error* *system error* *system error*

I may get some in a few days from a team guy I know.

Penny

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >> It's all in the original post.
> >
> > You sure? You mention 'passing' 4 people, but you never said if they passed you afterwards.
> >
> >> You gotta quit scanning everything and go for the content.
> >
> > I read the whole lot, Penny - don't make such huge assumptions ',;~P```
> >

> Ok, ok.... I don't know how many women were in the class. 10-15? I got
> slow start (last) and passed 4 other women in the first lap. All the beginner women started at the
> same time, tho we were on the course with beginner men and beginner teen boys, who all started at
> intervals before
us.

> Everyone I passed I stayed in front of. Does that help?

Yes Penny - helps a lot ta! Anyhow, nice work ',;~}

Shaun aRe