RR: More Single Speeding

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:50:45 -0000, Dave W wrote:
>
> > http://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252158AGlMYf
>
> Nope, definitely not that! I've seen more difficult climbs ridden by by an SSer - you'd be shocked
> (I was). The kind of terrain that would be a problem for an SSer is probably more like extended
> steep climbs. One can only stand on the pedals for so long.

Ditto here. The ride from the cabin last year up to Osprey Point (AMB-ID '03) made that shot look
like a sidewalk. It also convinced me to NOT take my SS on the big ride the next day. Gman had a
shot of the view from the top called PayettePan. This link might work:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bf2g52%24abmcr%241%40ID-148440.news.uni-berlin.de&output=gplain

Seriously, though, the Freak and GMan kinda skew the averages on what can be ridden on a Ss, though.

paladin

Paladin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would care to
listen :
> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:50:45 -0000, Dave W wrote:
>>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252158AGlMYf
>>
>> Nope, definitely not that! I've seen more difficult climbs ridden by by an SSer - you'd be
>> shocked (I was). The kind of terrain that would be a problem for an SSer is probably more like
>> extended steep climbs. One can only stand on the pedals for so long.
>
> Ditto here. The ride from the cabin last year up to Osprey Point (AMB-ID '03) made that shot look
> like a sidewalk. It also convinced me to NOT take my SS on the big ride the next day. Gman had a
> shot of the view from the top called PayettePan. This link might work:
>
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bf2g52%24abmcr%241%40ID-148440.news.uni-berlin.de&output=gplain
>
> Seriously, though, the Freak and GMan kinda skew the averages on what can be ridden on a
> Ss, though.
>
> paladin

http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/ambepic this works better. Took a minute to load tho...

Paladin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would care to
listen :
> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
> Ditto here. The ride from the cabin last year up to Osprey Point (AMB-ID '03) made that shot look
> like a sidewalk. It also convinced me to NOT take my SS on the big ride the next day. Gman had a
> shot of the view from the top called PayettePan. This link might work:
>
>
>
> Seriously, though, the Freak and GMan kinda skew the averages on what can be ridden on a
> Ss, though.
>
> paladin

speaking of Idaho, any chance of meeting me and Mr Adventure in Yellow Pine? Adam the wildman sounds
like he may show??

penny

On 23 Feb 2004 12:17:19 -0800, Paladin wrote:

> Ss, though.

Good point.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:09:36 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot"
<mitchell@[nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote:

[snip]

>Uh... Was there a ride report in there somewhere?

You snipped it you knuckle head.

>I had a great ride today, conditions where terrible...go figure, but I still learned
>something,...it was a good day.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:48:56 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On the other hand, riding really technical stuff I rarely use the lowest gears, because a high
>cadence spoils the balance.

true

>
>In any case one day I will convert one of my better old MTBs to SS and give it a go.

yes

>
>Per http://lowdin.nu
>

peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:50:45 -0000, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>"p e t e f a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> had this to say
>news:[email protected]
>
>>
>> "Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> After a much heated debate about Single Speeding, I feel there is need to clear the air a bit. I
>>> promise not to preach.
>>>
>>> Myth number 1: SS bikes(ers) are slower than multi-geared bikes.
>>>
>>> Anybody who has half a brain will be able to tell you it's the rider that makes the bike go
>>> faster or slower...'nuff said.
>>
>> For the most part.
>>
>> However, there are plenty of trails/trail sections where an SS rider doesn't have a choice
>> between going faster or slower, since they have to walk. Not because of their skills or fitness,
>> but due to the terrain.
>>
>>
>
>Here's some now:
>
>http://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252158AGlMYf
>

Looks rather doable to me Dave.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind

ttp://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252987zuCQuH
>
> Also, there are several "chute" runs where you are literally 2-3 feet
below
> the surface, riding in ravines. (for lack of a better term.)
>
> Dave
>

What camera are you using for these shots? A disposable? Chromatic abberation... I want to gouge out
my eyes ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> ttp://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252987zuCQuH
>>
>> Also, there are several "chute" runs where you are literally 2-3 feet
> below
>> the surface, riding in ravines. (for lack of a better term.)
>>
>> Dave
>>
>
> What camera are you using for these shots? A disposable? Chromatic abberation... I want to gouge
> out my eyes ;)
>

a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?) I'm
now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)

Dave (sorry :(

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paladin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would care to listen :
> > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>
> > Ditto here. The ride from the cabin last year up to Osprey Point (AMB-ID '03) made that shot
> > look like a sidewalk. It also convinced me to NOT take my SS on the big ride the next day. Gman
> > had a shot of the view from the top called PayettePan. This link might work:
> >
> >
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bf2g52%24abmcr%241%40ID-148440.news.uni-
> berlin.de&output=gplain
> >
> > Seriously, though, the Freak and GMan kinda skew the averages on what can be ridden on a Ss,
> > though.
> >
> > paladin
>
>
> speaking of Idaho, any chance of meeting me and Mr Adventure in Yellow Pine? Adam the wildman
> sounds like he may show??
>
> penny

luv too. when are you going to be there? There's an annual harmonica festival I've always wanted to
see, and wouldn't it be amazing if they were the same weekend.

paladin

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 23 Feb 2004 09:49:33 -0800, Paladin wrote:
>
> > Up Hill faster. Down hill, slower.
>
> Then why was JD out front when the rest of us were going as fast as we felt was (somewhat) safe?

TFE blows every statistical analysis. The Freak Exception.

But to think about it, it's not the fact that its a SS that slows me down on tricky downhill stuff,
but the fully rigid part.

paladin

[email protected] (Paladin) had this to say

> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>> On 23 Feb 2004 09:49:33 -0800, Paladin wrote:
>>
>> > Up Hill faster. Down hill, slower.
>>
>> Then why was JD out front when the rest of us were going as fast as we felt was (somewhat) safe?
>
> TFE blows every statistical analysis. The Freak Exception.
>
> But to think about it, it's not the fact that its a SS that slows me down on tricky downhill
> stuff, but the fully rigid part.
>
> paladin
>

that'd do it.

Paladin stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> speaking of Idaho, any chance of meeting me and Mr Adventure in
>> Yellow Pine? Adam the wildman sounds like he may show??
>>
>> penny
>
>
> luv too. when are you going to be there? There's an annual harmonica festival I've always wanted
> to see, and wouldn't it be amazing if they were the same weekend.
>
> paladin

Gman, too. Hey, anyone that can find Yellow Pine on a map is welcome. Details are kind of sketchy at
this point, but it's 4th Of July weekend. Mainly it's a class V cataraft rendezvous (
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/penny/boating/boating.asp for the curious) on the E fk of the S
fork Salmon. I told Craig I'd join if he thgought there'd be some riding. Adam seems to think
there's trails up there, he would know. I"m a little concerned about how snow covered everything
might be. Another option is that I can take a rig and ride somewhere else while the guys are out on
the water - I don't do class 5 scares the **** out of me.

So, I'll y'all posted.

penny

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>
> > ttp://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252987zuCQuH
> >>
> >> Also, there are several "chute" runs where you are literally 2-3 feet
> > below
> >> the surface, riding in ravines. (for lack of a better term.)
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>
> >
> > What camera are you using for these shots? A disposable? Chromatic abberation... I want to gouge
> > out my eyes ;)
> >
>
> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?) I'm
> now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)
>

Check out the cameras at gateway.com, great value. Or if they don't have the features you need I'm
very happy with my Canon A70 that I got for $270.

Greg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:33:54 -0000, Dave W wrote:

> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?) I'm
> now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)

I'm happy with my Canon A40, though there are probably better Canon A models in that price range
now. I just had some prints made at Costco from my trip last summer (19 cents for 4x6), and they
look like they came from a good 35mm camera. It actually takes reasonably good short videos, too.
The fact that it uses standard AA batteries has saved me more than once, and unlike many of the
proprietary batteries, the power of AA rechargeables has been increasing steadily.

--

"G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say

>
> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> had this to say
>> news:[email protected]
>>
>> > ttp://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252987zuCQuH
>> >>
>> >> Also, there are several "chute" runs where you are literally 2-3 feet
>> > below
>> >> the surface, riding in ravines. (for lack of a better term.)
>> >>
>> >> Dave
>> >>
>> >
>> > What camera are you using for these shots? A disposable? Chromatic abberation... I want to
>> > gouge out my eyes ;)
>> >
>>
>> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?)
>> I'm now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)
>>
>
> Check out the cameras at gateway.com, great value. Or if they don't have the features you need I'm
> very happy with my Canon A70 that I got for $270.
>
> Greg

I've been eye-balling the Canon line a great deal. They seem like they're right up my alley.
Although I WAS leaning more toward the 4.0 megapixel models, they are a little higher than I
wanted to go.
>

BB stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:33:54 -0000, Dave W wrote:
>
>> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?)
>> I'm now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)
>
> I'm happy with my Canon A40, though there are probably better Canon A models in that price range
> now. I just had some prints made at Costco from my trip last summer (19 cents for 4x6), and they
> look like they came from a good 35mm camera. It actually takes reasonably good short videos, too.
> The fact that it uses standard AA batteries has saved me more than once, and unlike many of the
> proprietary batteries, the power of AA rechargeables has been increasing steadily.

That is a very good price on an A70, I paid more than that for mine.

penny

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "G.T." <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>
> >
> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> "ZeeExSixAre" <[email protected]> had this to say
> >> news:[email protected]
> >>
> >> > ttp://community.webshots.com/photo/120249685/120252987zuCQuH
> >> >>
> >> >> Also, there are several "chute" runs where you are literally 2-3 feet
> >> > below
> >> >> the surface, riding in ravines. (for lack of a better term.)
> >> >>
> >> >> Dave
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> > What camera are you using for these shots? A disposable? Chromatic abberation... I want to
> >> > gouge out my eyes ;)
> >> >
> >>
> >> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?)
> >> I'm now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)
> >>
> >
> > Check out the cameras at gateway.com, great value. Or if they don't have the features you need
> > I'm very happy with my Canon A70 that I got for $270.
> >
> > Greg
>
> I've been eye-balling the Canon line a great deal. They seem like they're right up my alley.
> Although I WAS leaning more toward the 4.0 megapixel models, they are a little higher than I
> wanted to go.
> >

I think Gateway has a 5MP camera at $299. Don't know what features it has, though.

Greg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:30:33 -0000, Dave W wrote:

> I've been eye-balling the Canon line a great deal. They seem like they're right up my alley.
> Although I WAS leaning more toward the 4.0 megapixel models, they are a little higher than I
> wanted to go.

It all depends on the size you'll want to print. My A40 is 2.1 megapixel, which looks great at 4x6,
and IIRC will be good for 5x7 or maybe even 8x10. Anything bigger, and you need more megapixels.
More megapixels, and you need more flash memory.

(the A70 now sells for the same price I paid - damn technology!)

--

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> BB stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would listen :
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:33:54 -0000, Dave W wrote:
> >
> >> a POS Oregon Scientific DS 6618 credit card camera. (It was a freebie, should I give it back?)
> >> I'm now in the market for a new digi. Got any ideas? ($250-300 range)
> >
> > I'm happy with my Canon A40, though there are probably better Canon A models in that price range
> > now. I just had some prints made at Costco from my trip last summer (19 cents for 4x6), and they
> > look like they came from a good 35mm camera. It actually takes reasonably good short videos,
> > too. The fact that it uses standard AA batteries has saved me more than once, and unlike many of
> > the proprietary batteries, the power of AA rechargeables has been increasing steadily.
>
> That is a very good price on an A70, I paid more than that for mine.
>

It was on sale at buy.com, I even scored free shipping.

Greg