RR Mt Hood area

gabrielle

Guest
The weather gods & my work schedule finally aligned properly to allow
me a few rides this week, and Momma & I sought relief from the 90+ heat
in the shadow of Mt Hood. Did the Eightmile-Knebal Springs loop, which
was in absolutely perfect shape. The trail was slightly tacky in the
bare spots & covered with lovely soft pine needles elsewhere. We
stopped & soaked up the view of Hood, Helens, Rainier and Adams at the
halfway point. (This is the ride that the guidebook says is "not much
for views". Hmph.)

It's been a year & a half since I'd ridden Knebal, and I had
conveniently blocked the hellacious climb out of Fifteenmile Creek from
my memories. I won't make that mistake again. At least not until I've
had a few Old Boardheads down at Full Sail.

Eightmile is still my favorite trail - talk about low investment/high
payoff. Wowee. The view from the firetower was stupendous this
weekend.

I tried a new trail snack - "Alpsnack - the exciting Hemp Treat from
Europe." (Wonder what crazy6er's going to have to say about *that*. ;)
) The local grocery store was giving away bite-size versions on Earth
day and I saved mine up for a bike trip. The dark chocolate is the
best, of course. Still, no pre-made snack can compare with my own
rosemary egg salad with havarti on olive bread. I'm all about the
food.

Today, I opted for a quick spin through Post Canyon to check out the
candystripe & phantom orchids. Over the winter, the trail elves
replaced a couple of the old, rotting bridges with newer smooth ones &
refined some of the structures up on Family Man. Toilet Bowl is
already starting to have mild "ball-bearing" action on the way down -
this summer is going to be hell for dust. *cough cough*

gabrielle

gabrielle wrote:
> The weather gods & my work schedule finally aligned properly to allow
> me a few rides this week, and Momma & I sought relief from the 90+ heat
> in the shadow of Mt Hood. Did the Eightmile-Knebal Springs loop, which
> was in absolutely perfect shape. The trail was slightly tacky in the
> bare spots & covered with lovely soft pine needles elsewhere. We
> stopped & soaked up the view of Hood, Helens, Rainier and Adams at the
> halfway point. (This is the ride that the guidebook says is "not much
> for views". Hmph.)

All those beautiful volcanoes in one place. Too cool!

> refined some of the structures up on Family Man. Toilet Bowl is
> already starting to have mild "ball-bearing" action on the way down -
> this summer is going to be hell for dust. *cough cough*

And you were worried about clicking on my bathroom break? I wonder how
many trails are named after the porcelain gods?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On 30 May 2005 17:12:17 -0700, gabrielle wrote:
> The weather gods & my work schedule finally aligned properly to allow
> me a few rides this week, and Momma & I sought relief from the 90+ heat
> in the shadow of Mt Hood. Did the Eightmile-Knebal Springs loop, which
> was in absolutely perfect shape.

Nice! Last time I got into your part of the woods, it was also mid-May
(well I guess its not mid anymore) and the trail was covered with
blowdown. I gues its not always that way!

Sounds like fun.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

>Last time I got into your part of the woods, it was also mid-May
(well I guess its not mid anymore) and the trail was covered with
blowdown.

That's normal, AFAIK. "They" just cleared these trails earlier last
week.

They did a little too good a job this time - there were some do-able
log obstacles on 8-mile which are gone now.

gabrielle

gabrielle wrote:
> >Last time I got into your part of the woods, it was also mid-May

> (well I guess its not mid anymore) and the trail was covered with
> blowdown.
>
> That's normal, AFAIK. "They" just cleared these trails earlier last
> week.
>
> They did a little too good a job this time - there were some do-able
> log obstacles on 8-mile which are gone now.
>
> gabrielle

Woe to the sanitizers!

JD

The *real* Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>And you were worried about clicking on my bathroom break? I wonder how

many trails are named after the porcelain gods?

Well, there's another portion of this same ride my friends & I call
"Puke Hill." Same equipment, different function.

"Talking to Ralph on the Big White Phone"
"Driving the Porcelain Bus"

gabrielle