RR: Much better!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Got out after work last night and rode out to Hartman Rocks solo. It had rained late in the
    afternoon and the way the high desert works, that makes it a perfect time to ride. Things were tacky
    and firm. I felt like superman because it was just so easy to roll along in the middle ring and
    maintain a good pace. This was a sharp contrast to Sunday's granny gear and hike-a-bike punishment.
    I climbed up Kill Hill and turned onto a steadily climbing jeep road to hit an old favorite,
    Rattlesnake first. Gotta' hit that trail right off the bat in case the weather turns bad again. It's
    a nice shape and I clean all the fun granite sections (think granite slickrock islands in a sea of
    sage and sand connected by singletrack). I've got some good flow going and roll right into Back of
    Beck's. I keep the pace pretty high for the sage n' sand section and take a quick break at the top
    rock outcropping to look at the weather make some adjustments. Looks like the rain clouds are
    breaking up, and the sun is low enough to peek under the clouds, lighting up the rocks for a
    beautiful effect like this: http://mattb.net/images/Hartman's%207-0/mary%20matt%20ryan3.jpg (this is
    an old shot in the same area). Continuing on the technical part of B. of B. and clean it all again
    and run into an old friend from college. We chat and catch up a little and keep going on our
    respective rides. I connected up to The Luge from there. A great night for this one as the air was
    very still. I took full advantage of the fast conditions and laid into the berms with everything
    I've got. Great, fast rolling singletrack. It's all coming together. From the bottom of the Luge I
    hit Back of Hogsback, Hogsback, and then the fun, BMX-style downhill on Beck's. Back's is really
    fast and I hit the rock ramp (perfectly ramp/wedge shaped rock with about 1.5' drop and a good open
    rounout) with plenty of speed. Landing just in time to really hook up into the turns on the bottom
    stretch. The Epic and I are one and thing are just flowing so smoothly. I climbed back over the
    front ridge via The Notch, hit the bottom of the DH course, floating the gap just right and spun
    back home for some food, beer, and quality time with my son to top it all off. Perfect. Looking at
    my computer I ended up doing about 21 Miles, averaging 10.2 Mph. Much better than the 20 I did on
    Sunday averaging something like 4.5 (when we weren't hiking).

    Matt

    --

    Matt

    "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Tags:

  2. "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > drop and a
    good
    > open rounout) with plenty of speed. Landing just in time to really hook up into the turns on the
    > bottom stretch. The Epic and I are one and thing are just flowing so smoothly. I climbed back over
    > the front ridge via The
    Notch,
    > hit the bottom of the DH course, floating the gap just right and spun back home for some food,
    > beer, and quality time with my son to top it all off. Perfect. Looking at my computer I ended up
    > doing about 21 Miles, averaging 10.2 Mph. Much better than the 20 I did on Sunday averaging
    > something like 4.5 (when we weren't hiking).
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > --
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Thanks Matt, sounds great.

    Steve E.

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Got out after work last night and rode out to Hartman Rocks solo. It
    had
    > rained late in the afternoon and the way the high desert works, that makes it a perfect time to
    > ride. Things were tacky and firm. I felt like
    superman
    > because it was just so easy to roll along in the middle ring and maintain
    > good pace. This was a sharp contrast to Sunday's granny gear and
    hike-a-bike
    > punishment. I climbed up Kill Hill and turned onto a steadily climbing jeep road
    > hit an old favorite, Rattlesnake first. Gotta' hit that trail right off
    the
    > bat in case the weather turns bad again. It's a nice shape and I clean all the fun granite
    > sections (think granite slickrock islands in a sea of sage and sand connected by singletrack).
    > I've got some good flow going and roll right into Back of Beck's. I keep the pace pretty high for
    > the sage n'
    sand
    > section and take a quick break at the top rock outcropping to look at the weather make some
    > adjustments. Looks like the rain clouds are breaking up, and the sun is low enough to peek under
    > the clouds, lighting up the rocks for a beautiful effect like this:
    > http://mattb.net/images/Hartman's%207-0/mary%20matt%20ryan3.jpg (this is
    an

    Love the hand shaddow, heheheh..........

    > old shot in the same area). Continuing on the technical part of B. of B.
    and
    > clean it all again and run into an old friend from college. We chat and catch up a little and
    > keep going on our respective rides. I connected up to The Luge from there. A great night for
    > this one as
    the
    > air was very still. I took full advantage of the fast conditions and laid into the berms with
    > everything I've got. Great, fast rolling singletrack. It's all coming together. From the bottom
    > of the Luge I hit Back of Hogsback, Hogsback, and then the fun, BMX-style downhill on Beck's.
    > Back's is really fast and I hit the rock ramp (perfectly ramp/wedge shaped rock with about 1.5'
    > drop and a
    good
    > open rounout) with plenty of speed. Landing just in time to really hook up into the turns on the
    > bottom stretch. The Epic and I are one and thing are just flowing so smoothly. I climbed back over
    > the front ridge via The
    Notch,
    > hit the bottom of the DH course, floating the gap just right and spun back home for some food,
    > beer, and quality time with my son to top it all off. Perfect. Looking at my computer I ended up
    > doing about 21 Miles, averaging 10.2 Mph. Much better than the 20 I did on Sunday averaging
    > something like 4.5 (when we weren't hiking).
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > --
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Nice ride ',;~}~

    Need to get out need to get out need to get out...........

    Shaun aRe