RR: Murarrie Crits - Sat 8/4/06

Absent Husband

Guest
My race report from Saturday....

---

I finally managed to make my crit debut for 2006 on Saturday morning,
and
boy am I glad that I finally got there!! I had a great morning, and it
reminded me of how much I enjoy crit racing...

After a slow start to the morning, rode to the Murarrie circuit
arriving at
7:50am for an 8am start - I don't like to arrive too early, but this
was
pushing a bit much!! At least I knew my legs would be warm for the
race...
Signed up for Cat 2/Div 2, and got myself organised.

Race started at about 8:05 - 40min + 3 laps, with about 30 people in
the
field (by my rough count). Pace was very slow early, with the field
taking
the first few laps at only 31-32km/h. I was sitting at the back of the
front
third, and it seemed that no-one wanted to take charge up the front -
but
eventually things got 'organised' and the pace picked up to around
38km/h.

Cat 2/Div 1 (equiv. to C-Grade) was on the course at the same time as
us (I
guess we were equiv. to D-Grade), as well as Cat 3 (E-Grade??) - so
there
were 3 packs circling around the 1.5km circuit. This had the potential
get a bit confusing, and ended up making for some interesting times
when the
packs were overtaking.

I had managed to keep a position around mid-pack, sometimes a little
bit
more forward. The first time Div 1 passed us, the front riders in our
race
sped up and tried to retake them straight away!! Luckily, being in the
front
half, I was able to sit on their wheels as they headed passed. The
peloton
split in two, and the 'chase group' had to work hard to catch back up
to us.
A good tactical lesson for me (without the hard work!!) about staying
in
touch with the front-runners.....

This same 'trick' happened again when Div 1 inevitably caught up to
overtake
and the front riders pushed past again!! I was wondering if it was ego
or
adrenalin - but at least their tactics were clear and I knew what would
happen each time!! We reached the 20min mark and the whistle blew for
the
Prime lap. A guy in Credit Agricole kit took off straight away, but
no-one
seemed keen to chase (definitely not me - I just wanted to finish with
the
group!!), so he did a one-lap ITT to take the Prime - well done!!

Just passed 30min, and I was starting to feel the effort. We got passed
again by Div 1, and once again the leaders of our group took off - but
I was
two-thirds of the way back in the pack and missed the jump!! So much
for my
being super-aware of their tactics!! Lots of yells by people for them
"calm down - let Div 1 go!!", but they took off.... So I was stuck in
the
chase group - we all worked hard, and I even took a long turn trying to
bridge the gap back. Eventually we made it back on, which was very
satisfying (don't know what Div 1 thought of all this though - they
must
have been getting dizzy!!).

The chase effort had knackered me a bit, and so I drifted to the back
of the
field. I nearly got gapped off the back a few times, but thought there
was
no way I'd let myself get dropped, so I gritted the teeth and worked to
get
back up to mid-pack. Things felt much better once I settled into a
rhythm
there and a quick drink plus a few more steadier laps had me back and
feeling good again. A few people were obviously getting nervous though,
as
we had to drop two separate dropped bottles by the leaders (hope that
wasn't
a tactic to thin the field!!).

The "3 laps to go" sign came up, and I was feeling very happy to be
sitting
back up in the front third. The pace slowed again as people started
looking
around and waiting for something to happen. Then suddenly we had
reached the
bell lap and we were all still together!! I saw the guy in CA kit who
won
the prime moving an inside line, so I jumped on his wheel as I figured
he
might be a good bet to go at the finish... He moved up the front pretty
quickly, and so I was sitting at 2nd wheel heading down the back
street,
halfway through the last lap!!!!!

I soon discovered the tactical problems with this though, as I couldn't
tell
what was happening behind me. Who was gonna jump?? As we turned the
corner,
about 6-7 riders went flying past. Luckily, I was able to jump onto the
last
of them, and the pace went berserk as everyone else tried to come with
us. I
was happy to be holding their wheels, but had no more speed to add for
final finishing sprint..... As we came down the final straight to the
line,
two guys in front of me went all "Robbie vs Stuey" and started leaning
all
over each other - so I sat up and backed off just in case, and cruised
over
the line in about 10th place (although I don't think I would have made
up
any places if I'd sprinted any further!!).

Final stats - 31km at 37.4km/h average. I had a very fun morning, and
was
stoked with my efforts. It was great to be an active participant in the
crits for a change, instead of just hanging tough at the back trying
hard
not to get dropped!!!
---

Cheers all,
Abby

Absent Husband said:
My race report from Saturday....
[chomp]
Abby

That's excellent Abby! A bit of sprint training and you'll be up for the win.

I did the trek series yesterday and misjudged the finish line (which I had only passed 6 times previously!) by 100m. Uphill finish - 5th.. 4th.. 3rd... yesssss... 2nd.... oh ****... *there's* the line???...whoosh...whoosh..whoosh etc :(

Did Paulie race as well?

Adam

Absent Husband said:
My race report from Saturday....

---

I finally managed to make my crit debut for 2006 on Saturday morning,
and
boy am I glad that I finally got there!! I had a great morning, and it
reminded me of how much I enjoy crit racing...
[snip]

---

Cheers all,
Abby

Well done! - sounds like your pace is getting faster each time... a bit of sprint practice and you should be in the mix for a place.

You might also note that lower grades sitting on the back of higher grades is a definite no-no (especially if the lower grade was just lapped). It isn't fair to the weaker/unfortunate riders that are dropped because the pace was artificially increased.

Ritch

That's right ritcho, which was annoying me (and the rest of the
peloton!). In fact, on the last break which I missed and helped chase
back, a few of the chase riders said, "Don't worry about them, I reckon
they'll be DQ'ed for using the higher grade...".

Just after Div 1 went past, the Div 2 leaders would tuck in briefly
then try and drag us all past. A few of the older heads told them that
they had to drop back and let a clear gap form between the two grades
before attacking (ie. like a brief neutral period) but they didn't
listen.

After the race, I noticed the commissaires approached the serial
offenders (bloody Cycle-ogical riders!! *grins*) and explain to them
the deal. The riders didn't seeem convinced (they had a good whinge
about being punished for attacking later), but at least the officials
followed up, which was good.

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> That's right ritcho, which was annoying me (and the rest of the
> peloton!). In fact, on the last break which I missed and helped chase
> back, a few of the chase riders said, "Don't worry about them, I reckon
> they'll be DQ'ed for using the higher grade...".
>
> Just after Div 1 went past, the Div 2 leaders would tuck in briefly
> then try and drag us all past. A few of the older heads told them that
> they had to drop back and let a clear gap form between the two grades
> before attacking (ie. like a brief neutral period) but they didn't
> listen.
>
> After the race, I noticed the commissaires approached the serial
> offenders (bloody Cycle-ogical riders!! *grins*) and explain to them
> the deal. The riders didn't seeem convinced (they had a good whinge
> about being punished for attacking later), but at least the officials
> followed up, which was good.
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

You mean it wasn't the Hit Girls?

Bloody Hit Girls.

Tam

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My race report from Saturday....
> ... and cruised over the line in about 10th place
> Final stats - 31km at 37.4km/h average.
> Abby

Hey Abby,

That's fantastic. Congrats.
Cat 2 div 1 must have been pretty quick were they
if they lapped you 3 times?

I'll have to join you next week. Sounds like div 2
is a good place for a debut :)

Cheers,
Mick

Mick wrote:

> "Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My race report from Saturday....
> > ... and cruised over the line in about 10th place
> > Final stats - 31km at 37.4km/h average.
> > Abby

> Hey Abby,
>
> That's fantastic. Congrats.
> Cat 2 div 1 must have been pretty quick were they
> if they lapped you 3 times?
>
> I'll have to join you next week. Sounds like div 2
> is a good place for a debut :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mick

If they have Cat 2, Div 1 and Cat 2, Div 2, and Cat 3, and that's also
the order of their respective average speeds, etc, doesn't that mean
they have Cat 2, Cat 3, Cat 4?

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Mick wrote:

> "Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My race report from Saturday....
> > ... and cruised over the line in about 10th place
> > Final stats - 31km at 37.4km/h average.
> > Abby

> Hey Abby,
>
> That's fantastic. Congrats.
> Cat 2 div 1 must have been pretty quick were they
> if they lapped you 3 times?
>
> I'll have to join you next week. Sounds like div 2
> is a good place for a debut :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mick

If they have Cat 2, Div 1 and Cat 2, Div 2, and Cat 3, and that's also
the order of their respective average speeds, etc, doesn't that mean
they have Cat 2, Cat 3, Cat 4?

Tam

I get confused with numbers, what's wrong with A, B, C(rash) & D(estroy) ?

Adam

I know, I think they are making it more confusing than they have to.

They have Elite & Cat 1 at 7am. Then Cat 2 Div 1, Cat 2 Div 2 and Cat 3
all at 8am. I don't see why it shouldn't be just Elite, then Cat 1-4.
Or go back to the old system of A-E grades...

Oh, and Mick - they only lapped us once really. They would overtake us,
then we'd re-overtake them. So we were all usually on the same
lap...... So I don't think their average speed would have been much
greater than ours?? No crits at murarrie this Saturday (Easter and all
that), but they'll be back the following week as per normal. Will be
good to catch up again!!

Cheers,
Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> I know, I think they are making it more confusing than they have to.
>
> They have Elite & Cat 1 at 7am. Then Cat 2 Div 1, Cat 2 Div 2 and Cat 3
> all at 8am. I don't see why it shouldn't be just Elite, then Cat 1-4.
> Or go back to the old system of A-E grades...
>
> Oh, and Mick - they only lapped us once really. They would overtake us,
> then we'd re-overtake them. So we were all usually on the same
> lap...... So I don't think their average speed would have been much
> greater than ours?? No crits at murarrie this Saturday (Easter and all
> that), but they'll be back the following week as per normal. Will be
> good to catch up again!!
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

I think they have Cat 1, Cat 2 etc because they combine Elite and
Masters, Men's and Women's grades. So Cat 2 might be Elite Men's C
grade and Elite Women's B Grade and Masters Men's B Grade or something.

Tam

"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Oh, and Mick - they only lapped us once really. They would overtake us,
> then we'd re-overtake them. So we were all usually on the same
> lap...... So I don't think their average speed would have been much
> greater than ours?? No crits at murarrie this Saturday (Easter and all
> that), but they'll be back the following week as per normal. Will be
> good to catch up again!!
>
> Cheers,
> Abby

Doh! Ok, week after next then. I could use the extra pre-race training.

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If they have Cat 2, Div 1 and Cat 2, Div 2, and Cat 3, and that's also
> the order of their respective average speeds, etc, doesn't that mean
> they have Cat 2, Cat 3, Cat 4?
>
> Tam

You'd think so. Sounds like they've just split Cat 2 'cos of the numbers.
Maybe it'll take them a while to get the split right so div 2 isn't
overtaking
div 1.

Mick wrote:

> "Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Oh, and Mick - they only lapped us once really. They would overtake us,
> > then we'd re-overtake them. So we were all usually on the same
> > lap...... So I don't think their average speed would have been much
> > greater than ours?? No crits at murarrie this Saturday (Easter and all
> > that), but they'll be back the following week as per normal. Will be
> > good to catch up again!!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Abby

> Doh! Ok, week after next then. I could use the extra pre-race training.

According to Andrew von Berky's website, it's still on. As well as:

Sunshine Coast Tour - Elite and Masters - Day 1 (*SEQ Tour event*) 9am
start - Tinbeerwah RR. FLYER. (SCCC)

Lakeside closed circuit kermesse racing, all grades. Reverse
direction circuit, hilltop finish. 1:30pm start at Lakeside motor
raceway, Kurwongbah. (HPRW)

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Tam

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> I think they have Cat 1, Cat 2 etc because they combine Elite and
> Masters, Men's and Women's grades. So Cat 2 might be Elite Men's C
> grade and Elite Women's B Grade and Masters Men's B Grade or something.

err...or not! Sounds like you're thinking of open events like the Trek
series. The splitting of the two groups just happened as they had too many
for one. They should all come out to lakeside for a challenge but they're
too scared of the hills :)

Adam

Tamyka Bell said:
If they have Cat 2, Div 1 and Cat 2, Div 2, and Cat 3, and that's also the order of their respective average speeds, etc, doesn't that mean
they have Cat 2, Cat 3, Cat 4?
Given that they also have Elite it would be Cat 1 - 5.

adam85 said:
Did Paulie race as well?
Nope. This week, I was the b!tch w!fe and held him at home because we had to clean the house as we had an architect coming over... as much as he thought it would be OK for him to race whilst I go grocery shopping and clean the house, I informed him that this was not OK ;-)

I'm fairly sure he'll be out there this Saturday... he's up North working on some sh!t plant in a remote deadbeat area...

Lotte

Lotte:
>he's up North working on some sh!t plant in a remote deadbeat area...

Not a good thing to complain about, for a sewerage engineer!

Donga

PHP:
Donga said:
Lotte:
>he's up North working on some sh!t plant in a remote deadbeat area...

Not a good thing to complain about, for a sewerage engineer!

Donga
PHP:

I'm sure he'll carry on undeturd.

adam85 wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> > I think they have Cat 1, Cat 2 etc because they combine Elite and
> > Masters, Men's and Women's grades. So Cat 2 might be Elite Men's C
> > grade and Elite Women's B Grade and Masters Men's B Grade or something.

> err...or not! Sounds like you're thinking of open events like the Trek
> series. The splitting of the two groups just happened as they had too many
> for one. They should all come out to lakeside for a challenge but they're
> too scared of the hills :)
>
> Adam

No no no, the splitting of the Cat into two Divs is because Cat 2 is too
large. I'm talking about why they have Cats, and not Grades.

Tam

Donga said:
Not a good thing to complain about, for a sewerage engineer!
He's not complaining. I am! I've had to cook my own f*cken dinner for TWO NIGHTS now!!

Lotte