RR must be summer

Penny S.

Guest
My original plan for the day was to scare up someone to join me in an all day epic/explore to a new
area I haven't ridden but it was not to be. So I hit the second tier call list and was able to plan
a little ride with a (single) gal I know who earlier this year had expressed interest in riding.

She's only ever ridden at Riverside so at my suggestion we decided to broaden her trail horizons. We
meet at Beacon where she doesn't seem to be scared off by the prospect of 1.8 miles of climbing to
get up the ridge. It's hot... I had hoped to get out early today but nope, it's noon and they are
predicting into the 90's for today. Michelle has a great attitude... the climbing is a little much
for her and she's walking a lot but I had let her know right off the bat that it was all about fun,
not who gets there first( that would be me of course) then at the top the fun begins... I ask her
how she is on technical stuff, let her know there are a couple of "interesting" corners coming up
and off we go. I'm ahead but I don't worry about her because I hear a couple of whoops and yee-haws
through the brush.

She's liking this. Instead of giving my usual non- stop tour guide commentary, I try to just give
out warnings for things that might be considered "surprises"... for example the gully run that exits
up and a hard 90 degrees around a ponderosa pine. I was hoping that the DH-er's might be practicing
for the Bomber next weekend, so I could show Michelle what that was all about ( she has asked) but
the course is surprising quiet. Eventually we end up down in what I call the play area and we mess
around on the rocks. I give her the camera and here's what she got, for all you that have been
begging for a lycra shot: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/penny6-03.jpg

Michelle is pooped, she hasn't been riding a lot so I can't convince her to do the climb back up the
ridge in the heat, we end up going around on some roads. But she got the bug for the season!

Penny

Penny says:

>I give her the camera and here's what she got, for all you that have been begging for a lycra shot:

More cleavage than lycra, but it'll keep the wolves happy ;-)

>But she got the bug for the season!

Pimpette......... (good job)

Steve

Wow that rr brings back memories of riding Beacon hill. I can remember when I first started I
couldn't ride it all the way without walking then in a few months I was doing it 3 and 4 times in a
row just to get a good work out. Does the trail still go over what we called the "CAMEL BACKS" (huge
whoops that are like strait up and down and very deep) I used to love hitting those full out.

> My original plan for the day was to scare up someone to join me in an all day epic/explore to a
> new area I haven't ridden but it was not to be. So
> hit the second tier call list and was able to plan a little ride with a (single) gal I know who
> earlier this year had expressed interest in
riding.

> She's only ever ridden at Riverside so at my suggestion we decided to broaden her trail horizons.
> We meet at Beacon where she doesn't seem to be scared off by the prospect of 1.8 miles of climbing
> to get up the ridge. It's hot... I had hoped to get out early today but nope, it's noon and
they
> are predicting into the 90's for today. Michelle has a great attitude... the climbing is a little
> much for her and she's walking a lot but I had
let
> her know right off the bat that it was all about fun, not who gets there first( that would be me
> of course) then at the top the fun begins... I ask her how she is on technical stuff, let her know
> there are a couple of "interesting" corners coming up and off we go. I'm ahead but I don't worry
> about her because I hear a couple of whoops and yee-haws through the
brush.

> She's liking this. Instead of giving my usual non- stop tour guide commentary, I try to just give
> out warnings for things that might be considered "surprises"... for example the gully run that
> exits up and a
hard
> 90 degrees around a ponderosa pine. I was hoping that the DH-er's might
be
> practicing for the Bomber next weekend, so I could show Michelle what that was all about ( she has
> asked) but the course is surprising quiet. Eventually we end up down in what I call the play area
> and we mess around
on
> the rocks. I give her the camera and here's what she got, for all you
that
> have been begging for a lycra shot: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/penny6-03.jpg
>
> Michelle is pooped, she hasn't been riding a lot so I can't convince her
> do the climb back up the ridge in the heat, we end up going around on some roads. But she got the
> bug for the season!
>
> Penny

Rick B thoughtfully penned:
> Wow that rr brings back memories of riding Beacon hill. I can remember when I first started I
> couldn't ride it all the way without walking then in a few months I was doing it 3 and 4 times
> in a row just to get a good work out. Does the trail still go over what we called the "CAMEL
> BACKS" (huge whoops that are like strait up and down and very deep) I used to love hitting those
> full out.

hehe, I know those... it's dropping into them that wigs me out. And when there's sand in
the bottom...

I was nice to a downhiller yesterday. As we were "saddling up" in the Esmerelda lot, a guy pulls up
in a pickup with out of state plates and a pretty nice looking DH rig in the back. He says, you look
like you know what you are doing ( har, har .. do I have them all fooled) and asked for directions
to the DH course. I carefully explained that from where we were, it was 2 miles up, then down, then
another steep up ( at least 3 miles total) He said he was new to town, just moved here... So I drew
him a little map to the other access, where it's only about 1/2 mile up a jeep road to the DH runs.
It's kind of nice there's room for all... and someone's been posting IMBA trail rules signs. There
have been a lot of Minnehaha/Beacon clean-ups too, people are starting to care for it better.

Penny

I heard about the Downhill course that was built but it wasn't there when I was riding it. Maybe
someday I'll get back there to check it out on my new Bullit.

> Rick B thoughtfully penned:
> > Wow that rr brings back memories of riding Beacon hill. I can remember when I first started I
> > couldn't ride it all the way without walking then in a few months I was doing it 3 and 4 times
> > in a row just to get a good work out. Does the trail still go over what we called the "CAMEL
> > BACKS" (huge whoops that are like strait up and down and very deep) I used to love hitting those
> > full out.
> >

> hehe, I know those... it's dropping into them that wigs me out. And when there's sand in the
> bottom...
>
> I was nice to a downhiller yesterday. As we were "saddling up" in the Esmerelda lot, a guy pulls
> up in a pickup with out of state plates and a pretty nice looking DH rig in the back. He says, you
> look like you know what you are doing ( har, har .. do I have them all fooled) and asked for
> directions to the DH course. I carefully explained that from where we
were,
> it was 2 miles up, then down, then another steep up ( at least 3 miles total) He said he was new
> to town, just moved here... So I drew him a little map to the other access, where it's only about
> 1/2 mile up a jeep road to the DH runs. It's kind of nice there's room for all... and someone's
> been posting IMBA trail rules signs. There have been a lot of Minnehaha/Beacon clean-ups too,
> people are starting to care for it better.
>
> Penny

Rick B thoughtfully penned:
> I heard about the Downhill course that was built but it wasn't there when I was riding it. Maybe
> someday I'll get back there to check it out on my new Bullit.

I wouldn't call it "built". The DHer's just cleared some bushes and made some trails using the
natural terrain ( large boulders, outcrops etc) for their runs. Someone has been building gap jumps
and I did spy a ladder way off in the woods.

penny

James Messick thoughtfully penned:
> Is that a GPS on your handlebars?
>
> James

odometer. http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/penny6-03.jpg

after studying that photos I think you are seeing part of my water bottle cage sticking out right
behind the headset. it's a straight on view which makes the perspective really wierd. Or maybe
that's a bit of the rear part of the frame. (?) IF I take the gps it goes in the pack.

penny

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:39:50 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>My original plan for the day was to scare up someone to join me in an all day epic/explore to a new
>area I haven't ridden but it was not to be. So I hit the second tier call list and was able to plan
>a little ride with a (single) gal I know who earlier this year had expressed interest in riding.
>
>She's only ever ridden at Riverside so at my suggestion we decided to broaden her trail horizons.
>We meet at Beacon where she doesn't seem to be scared off by the prospect of 1.8 miles of climbing
>to get up the ridge. It's hot... I had hoped to get out early today but nope, it's noon and they
>are predicting into the 90's for today. Michelle has a great attitude... the climbing is a little
>much for her and she's walking a lot but I had let her know right off the bat that it was all about
>fun, not who gets there first( that would be me of course) then at the top the fun begins... I ask
>her how she is on technical stuff, let her know there are a couple of "interesting" corners coming
>up and off we go. I'm ahead but I don't worry about her because I hear a couple of whoops and
>yee-haws through the brush.
>
>She's liking this. Instead of giving my usual non- stop tour guide commentary, I try to just give
>out warnings for things that might be considered "surprises"... for example the gully run that
>exits up and a hard 90 degrees around a ponderosa pine. I was hoping that the DH-er's might be
>practicing for the Bomber next weekend, so I could show Michelle what that was all about ( she has
>asked) but the course is surprising quiet. Eventually we end up down in what I call the play area
>and we mess around on the rocks. I give her the camera and here's what she got, for all you that
>have been begging for a lycra shot: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/penny6-03.jpg

Nice arms BTW

>Michelle is pooped, she hasn't been riding a lot so I can't convince her to do the climb back up
>the ridge in the heat, we end up going around on some roads. But she got the bug for the season!
>
>Penny

Nice RR thanks Penny, Bill

:-]

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 19:39:50 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>My original plan for the day was to scare up someone to join me in an all day epic/explore to a new
>area I haven't ridden but it was not to be. So I hit the second tier call list and was able to plan
>a little ride with a (single) gal I know who earlier this year had expressed interest in riding.
>
>She's only ever ridden at Riverside so at my suggestion we decided to broaden her trail horizons.
>We meet at Beacon where she doesn't seem to be scared off by the prospect of 1.8 miles of climbing
>to get up the ridge. It's hot... I had hoped to get out early today but nope, it's noon and they
>are predicting into the 90's for today. Michelle has a great attitude... the climbing is a little
>much for her and she's walking a lot but I had let her know right off the bat that it was all about
>fun, not who gets there first( that would be me of course) then at the top the fun begins... I ask
>her how she is on technical stuff, let her know there are a couple of "interesting" corners coming
>up and off we go. I'm ahead but I don't worry about her because I hear a couple of whoops and
>yee-haws through the brush.
>
>She's liking this. Instead of giving my usual non- stop tour guide commentary, I try to just give
>out warnings for things that might be considered "surprises"... for example the gully run that
>exits up and a hard 90 degrees around a ponderosa pine. I was hoping that the DH-er's might be
>practicing for the Bomber next weekend, so I could show Michelle what that was all about ( she has
>asked) but the course is surprising quiet. Eventually we end up down in what I call the play area
>and we mess around on the rocks. I give her the camera and here's what she got, for all you that
>have been begging for a lycra shot: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/penny6-03.jpg

Nice arms BTW

>Michelle is pooped, she hasn't been riding a lot so I can't convince her to do the climb back up
>the ridge in the heat, we end up going around on some roads. But she got the bug for the season!
>
>Penny

Nice RR thanks Penny, Bill

:-]

Penny S. <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> here's some pics of some of the DH stuff at Beacon that I don't ride:
>
> http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54573 and there is a lot more
> than this.
>
> Penny

Drool, Nice! that is some tasty looking terrain. we got nothing like that here, i have to improvise
by using trail side obstacles now and then (actually on the trail, but a bit off the beaten path.
doesn't eat any foliage, and they are actually established obstacles, like a log with a dirt built
up in front.

Though i found out one thing, riding trails normally is one thing, but ride in the other direction,
and they are a whole new monster. i rode a
1/4 loop several times, just because it was fun. i forgot to log it on my site, but it don't matter,
it was perhaps a very short ride as far as distance, but it was the most fun i have had.

But those pictures get my blood pumping and making the bike god prayers more intense as i pray that
the letter of application i just turned in (actually looked very nice IMO) will result in a job. I
started it with a nice introduction, to get the bearing of what i am applying for, followed it up
with some very subtle begging, and closed it with a paragraph emphasizing my ability to learn this
area of knowledge very quickly, and stating the usual garbage that may be over used, but subtlety,
and with good finesse, closes out the letter.

...Oh ****, i forgot to sign it, damn, damn, damn. ah well, i guess i can kiss that job goodbye.

Ah well, guess it is time to face the music and get an application for **** patties R us (aka
McDonalds) where i can make minimum wage, work chaotic hours, and earn money that no longer has
purpose as my lifeforce has been sucked dry by the sound of psudo meat being heated on a psudo grill
(aka, heated sheet of stainless steel).
--
~Travis