RR: (my first) different pace

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rich, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Our local (Madison wi) lovable trail is the Quarry. About 2-4 blocks of woods in an urban area with
    an estimated 7 miles of super fun technical trail. It's within riding distance of my house so I ride
    there *all* the time. Without realizing it, I've been riding there exclusively for the last 6 months
    so Sunday I figured it was time to experience other trails again.

    I called Bob because he's always ready to ride on a moments notice. We head out to the Camrock
    trails to see the new sections that they've been working on for the last few months. Neither of us
    had been out there more than once and didn't think to get directions so we wandered around this
    quaint little town that was having a pottery fest until we found a road that looked familiar.

    Once we got to the trail we were most surprised to see absolutely no one else there. The weather was
    perfect but alas no one seemed to notice. Their loss.

    Now Bob is great company and an amazing rider, I swear he can climb and descend what can only be
    described as rock walls, but speed really isn't his thing. We're talking about a mosey. I knew this
    starting off so I mentally prepared to not hammer and just hang out. I had to keep reminding myself
    to slow down and admire the greenery but still managed to gain a few hundred meters every few
    minutes. Normally that wouldn't be a problem but prolonged waiting screams buffet to the swarms of
    mosquitoes.

    We had purchased a disposable underwater camera for a previous adventure and had a few shots left so
    we took some poses (I'll post them when I get them developed, where is a good place to upload
    them?). There is a pretty spooky double drop on the new section that I wouldn't even think about
    doing last year but felt a little more confident on that day. The first drop is still out of my
    league but I took a go at the second and got both attempts on film. Bob doesn't really do drops, his
    specialty is the no dab ride which he skillfully demonstrated in numerous spots.

    On one of the loops we found a friendly little mouse that didn't run away! We played with the little
    fella until the mosquitoes zeroed in and then moseyed back to the truck.

    So the weather was great, the new trail fun, the company friendly and the pace slow. Made for a very
    relaxing day.

    Tags:

  2. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Our local (Madison wi) lovable trail is the Quarry. About 2-4 blocks of woods in an urban area
    > with an estimated 7 miles of super fun technical trail. It's within riding distance of my house so
    > I ride there *all* the time. Without realizing it, I've been riding there exclusively for the last
    > 6 months so Sunday I figured it was time to experience other trails again.
    <snip>

    I find myself doing that too - one area is so close, and has some sweet trails, so I just go there
    all the time. Of course, now with all the rain, its one big mudpit. I found two places further down
    the ridge that drain a lot better, and as soon as I get the bike going, I'm going to explore some
    other areas to ride.

    you have more photos than that, just put them all in one zip file and upload the zip. Shhhhhh, don't
    tell pbase ;)

    Jon Bond has about 30mb of pictures on www.pbase.com/tuftscrit .... hehe ;)

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Jon Bond wrote:

    > if you have more photos than that, just put them all in one zip file and upload the zip. Shhhhhh,
    > don't tell pbase ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond has about 30mb of pictures on www.pbase.com/tuftscrit .... hehe ;)

    Ahhh, thanks. That was easy. I even had two pretty pictures of myself to practice with.
    http://www.pbase.com/kanotspell/galleries

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:02:11 -0500, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip nice stuff]

    Keep posting, Bill

    :-]