RR: My Legs Hurt

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    I was informed by email (glad I check it first thing in the AM) that the scheduled club ride at Fair
    Hills was cancelled. It seemed that the trail bunnies in MD didn't think the trails were suitable
    for riding. They should tell that to the equestrians as well. So, we opted for the alternate ride at
    Lebanon State Forest in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

    It was a beautiful morning. The temperature was 50 degrees and climbing. The first truly spring
    weather in our region. The trail was fast this morning. So fast, I could actually keep up with the
    'A' group, until I was blind-sided (I'll explain later). The spring smell was incredible and you can
    see the first new sprouts of the year coming up from the pine needle covered floor. You could also
    here the A-10 warthogs at Fort Dix practicing in the background. The machine gun fire almost gave us
    a rhythm to pedal by.

    Lebanon State Forest is a huge park (by New Jersey standards). It crosses several highways and
    stretches almost from Philadelphia to the New Jersey Shore. It is flat, with Mt. Misery making up
    the highest elevation at about 300'. There are miles of trails which are mostly single-track. I had
    thought that we would be doing the pink trail. An 8 mile in and 8 mile out single-track. So, I was
    giving it all I had to keep up with the leaders, and I was having a blast. When we hit the 8 mile
    mark it was decided that we'd hit the white trail since it was 60+ degrees and absolutely beautiful.
    The little loop added 11 miles to the single-track bliss. This was way past what my longest distance
    is. I was good until mile 20. Then I hit the wall. Cramps in my legs and a burning that could of set
    the forest on fire. My energy was gone. I had wasted all of it on what I thought would be a 16 mile
    ride. Needless to say, the last 7 miles over Mt. Misery were truly a misery. But I refused to give
    up and although was crawling, I never got off the bike.

    I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to pace
    myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing Kokopelli's
    trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.

    Thanks for reading!=

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BZmdnXIjI-e_pd7dRVn-
    [email protected]>... <snip>
    > I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    > pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    > Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.

    Interesting. Mountain biking to many is supposed to be fun, not "hard work". As far as upping your
    daily spinning, why don't you try riding your bicycle? Spinning is not mountain biking. If twenty
    miles in the Pine Barrens at sea level is tough to you, you're really going to have fun climbing up
    out of Dewey Bridge.

    JD

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BZmdnXIjI-e_pd7dRVn-
    > [email protected]>... <snip>
    >> I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    >> pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    >> Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.
    >
    > Interesting. Mountain biking to many is supposed to be fun, not "hard work". As far as upping your
    > daily spinning, why don't you try riding your bicycle? Spinning is not mountain biking. If twenty
    > miles in the Pine Barrens at sea level is tough to you, you're really going to have fun climbing
    > up out of Dewey Bridge.
    >
    > JD

    If my job and family didn't take most of my time, I would be out riding. Yes, it is fun but still
    hard work getting in shape. As for Dewey Bridge, I'll just have to try my best. There's nothing
    wrong with that. I'm not in a race and I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone other than myself.

  4. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > I was informed by email (glad I check it first thing in the AM) that the scheduled club ride at
    > Fair Hills was cancelled. It seemed that the trail bunnies in MD didn't think the trails were
    > suitable for riding. They should tell that to the equestrians as well. So, we opted for the
    > alternate ride at Lebanon State Forest in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
    >
    > It was a beautiful morning. The temperature was 50 degrees and climbing. The first truly spring
    > weather in our region. The trail was fast this morning. So fast, I could actually keep up with the
    > 'A' group, until I was blind-sided (I'll explain later). The spring smell was incredible and you
    > can see the first new sprouts of the year coming up from the pine needle covered floor. You could
    > also here the A-10 warthogs at Fort Dix practicing in the background. The machine gun fire almost
    > gave us a rhythm to pedal by.
    >
    > Lebanon State Forest is a huge park (by New Jersey standards). It crosses several highways and
    > stretches almost from Philadelphia to the New Jersey Shore. It is flat, with Mt. Misery making up
    > the highest elevation at about 300'. There are miles of trails which are mostly single-track. I
    > had thought that we would be doing the pink trail. An 8 mile in and 8 mile out single-track. So, I
    > was giving it all I had to keep up with the leaders, and I was having a blast. When we hit the 8
    > mile mark it was decided that we'd hit the white trail since it was 60+ degrees and absolutely
    > beautiful. The little loop added 11 miles to the single-track bliss. This was way past what my
    > longest distance is. I was good until mile 20. Then I hit the wall. Cramps in my legs and a
    > burning that could of set the forest on fire. My energy was gone. I had wasted all of it on what I
    > thought would be a 16 mile ride. Needless to say, the last 7 miles over Mt. Misery were truly a
    > misery. But I refused to give up and although was crawling, I never got off the bike.
    >
    > I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    > pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    > Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.
    >
    > Thanks for reading!=

    Sounds like a good ol' fashioned bonk. It is not cured by spinning, fortunately. It is prevented by
    restoring energy to your body as you go. Fast carbs. Sugar, honey. Sportsdrink, bananas, Gels
    whatever you got. You gotta eat before you bonk though.

    The way to train yourself to burn more fat instead of carbs on medium hard rides and above is just
    to ride long distances. That's why a lot of the MTB racers are seen doing maybe 50-100 mile rides on
    asphalt, just to get their endurance up.At a *low* resistance and an easy pace. The MTB racers I
    know do this on their off days. They call it active recovery and rest ;)

    --
    Perre

  5. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >> I was informed by email (glad I check it first thing in the AM) that the scheduled club ride at
    >> Fair Hills was cancelled. It seemed that the trail bunnies in MD didn't think the trails were
    >> suitable for riding. They should tell that to the equestrians as well. So, we opted for the
    >> alternate ride at Lebanon State Forest in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
    >>
    >> It was a beautiful morning. The temperature was 50 degrees and climbing. The first truly spring
    >> weather in our region. The trail was fast this morning. So fast, I could actually keep up with
    >> the 'A' group, until I was blind-sided (I'll explain later). The spring smell was incredible and
    >> you can see the first new sprouts of the year coming up from the pine needle covered floor. You
    >> could also here the A-10 warthogs at Fort Dix practicing in the background. The machine gun fire
    >> almost gave us a rhythm to pedal by.
    >>
    >> Lebanon State Forest is a huge park (by New Jersey standards). It crosses several highways and
    >> stretches almost from Philadelphia to the New Jersey Shore. It is flat, with Mt. Misery making up
    >> the highest elevation at about 300'. There are miles of trails which are mostly single-track. I
    >> had thought that we would be doing the pink trail. An 8 mile in and 8 mile out single-track. So,
    >> I was giving it all I had to keep up with the leaders, and I was having a blast. When we hit the
    >> 8 mile mark it was decided that we'd hit the white trail since it was 60+ degrees and absolutely
    >> beautiful. The little loop added 11 miles to the single-track bliss. This was way past what my
    >> longest distance is. I was good until mile 20. Then I hit the wall. Cramps in my legs and a
    >> burning that could of set the forest on fire. My energy was gone. I had wasted all of it on what
    >> I thought would be a 16 mile ride. Needless to say, the last 7 miles over Mt. Misery were truly a
    >> misery. But I refused to give up and although was crawling, I never got off the bike.
    >>
    >> I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    >> pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    >> Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.
    >>
    >> Thanks for reading!=
    >
    > Sounds like a good ol' fashioned bonk. It is not cured by spinning, fortunately. It is prevented
    > by restoring energy to your body as you go. Fast carbs. Sugar, honey. Sportsdrink, bananas, Gels
    > whatever you got. You gotta eat before you bonk though.
    >
    > The way to train yourself to burn more fat instead of carbs on medium hard rides and above is just
    > to ride long distances. That's why a lot of the MTB racers are seen doing maybe 50-100 mile rides
    > on asphalt, just to get their endurance up.At a *low* resistance and an easy pace. The MTB racers
    > I know do this on their off days. They call it active recovery and rest ;)

    Thanks for the info. I was eating and doing Cliff Shots, but maybe I need to do it more frequently.
    I also heard that an intake of Potassium, Magnisium, and good old Sodium are essential to
    preventing the bonk.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BZmdnXIjI-e_pd7dRVn-
    > > [email protected]>... <snip>
    > >> I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    > >> pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    > >> Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.
    > >
    > > Interesting. Mountain biking to many is supposed to be fun, not "hard work". As far as upping
    > > your daily spinning, why don't you try riding your bicycle? Spinning is not mountain biking. If
    > > twenty miles in the Pine Barrens at sea level is tough to you, you're really going to have fun
    > > climbing up out of Dewey Bridge.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > If my job and family didn't take most of my time, I would be out riding.

    So, sitting on a spinner is "quality time" with your family?

    > Yes, it is fun but still hard work getting in shape.

    It may be for you.

    > As for Dewey Bridge, I'll just have to try my best.

    Well, you are paying money and I'm sure there is a sag wagon to collect you up.

    JD

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <Si[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qbCdnWGMp8mnCN7dRVn-
    > [email protected]>...
    >> JD wrote:
    >>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BZmdnXIjI-e_pd7dRVn-
    >>> [email protected]>... <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Interesting. Mountain biking to many is supposed to be fun, not "hard work". As far as upping
    >>> your daily spinning, why don't you try riding your bicycle? Spinning is not mountain biking. If
    >>> twenty miles in the Pine Barrens at sea level is tough to you, you're really going to have fun
    >>> climbing up out of Dewey Bridge.
    >>>
    >>> JD
    >>
    >> If my job and family didn't take most of my time, I would be out riding.
    >
    > So, sitting on a spinner is "quality time" with your family?

    After they're asleep it doesn't really matter, does it?

    >> Yes, it is fun but still hard work getting in shape.
    >
    > It may be for you.

    When you haven't been in shape most of your life, it is hard work.

    >> As for Dewey Bridge, I'll just have to try my best.
    >
    > Well, you are paying money and I'm sure there is a sag wagon to collect you up.

    Actually, in checking the itenerary, we are shuttled from Dewey Bridge to Hideout Canyon. What
    worries me more is the 4000' climb up the Manti La Sal Mountains. If I have to bail half way up,
    then so be it.

    > JD

  8. D H

    D H Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Per Elmsäter wrote:

    > > Sounds like a good ol' fashioned bonk. It is not cured by spinning, fortunately. It is prevented
    > > by restoring energy to your body as you go. Fast carbs. Sugar, honey. Sportsdrink, bananas, Gels
    > > whatever you got. You gotta eat before you bonk though.
    > >
    > > The way to train yourself to burn more fat instead of carbs on medium hard rides and above is
    > > just to ride long distances. That's why a lot of the MTB racers are seen doing maybe 50-100 mile
    > > rides on asphalt, just to get their endurance up.At a *low* resistance and an easy pace. The MTB
    > > racers I know do this on their off days. They call it active recovery and rest ;)
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I was eating and doing Cliff Shots, but maybe I need to do it more
    > frequently. I also heard that an intake of Potassium, Magnisium, and good old Sodium are essential
    > to preventing the bonk.

    You heard correctly. As for Clifshot, I believe that includes very few simple sugars? If not, it
    should. I would argue Per Elmsater's advice about sugar. Simple sugars do lead to bonking. I use
    HammerGel exclusively and it greatly helps avoid bonking, but your other mentioned items are on
    target too. I add sodium to my sports drink since I use Gatorade at about 2/3 strength, (yes,
    that's simple sugars, but in my experience, as long as I am getting regular doses of complex
    carbs, I have no bonking issues). Sodium, particularly during temps that bring on significant
    sweating (anything above about 38-40 degrees F for me), is a necessary addition to most drinks,
    I think. Finally, you ARE on target about needing to increase mileage but don't try to equal out
    your distance to the longest expected ride. Maybe 2 days a week it should be as long or longer
    than that expected distance, but the rest of the days should vary it and as Per suggested, you
    need recovery days. Maybe you can do that on the spinner, but I would be going absolutely
    bonkers on anything indoors for that long. But if you have the discipline, more power to you.
    --
    D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

    Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

  9. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    D H wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message news:hJqdnRXaH-ZqX97dRVn-
    > [email protected]
    >
    >> Per Elmsäter wrote:
    >
    >>> Sounds like a good ol' fashioned bonk. It is not cured by spinning, fortunately. It is prevented
    >>> by restoring energy to your body as you go. Fast carbs. Sugar, honey. Sportsdrink, bananas, Gels
    >>> whatever you got. You gotta eat before you bonk though.
    >>>
    >>> The way to train yourself to burn more fat instead of carbs on medium hard rides and above is
    >>> just to ride long distances. That's why a lot of the MTB racers are seen doing maybe 50-100 mile
    >>> rides on asphalt, just to get their endurance up.At a *low* resistance and an easy pace. The MTB
    >>> racers I know do this on their off days. They call it active recovery and rest ;)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info. I was eating and doing Cliff Shots, but maybe I need to do it more
    >> frequently. I also heard that an intake of Potassium, Magnisium, and good old Sodium are
    >> essential to preventing the bonk.
    >
    > You heard correctly. As for Clifshot, I believe that includes very few simple sugars? If not,
    > it should. I would argue Per Elmsater's advice about sugar. Simple sugars do lead to bonking.
    > I use HammerGel exclusively and it greatly helps avoid bonking, but your other mentioned items
    > are on target too. I add sodium to my sports drink since I use Gatorade at about 2/3 strength,
    > (yes, that's simple sugars, but in my experience, as long as I am getting regular doses of
    > complex carbs, I have no bonking issues). Sodium, particularly during temps that bring on
    > significant sweating (anything above about 38-40 degrees F for me), is a necessary addition to
    > most drinks, I think. Finally, you ARE on target about needing to increase mileage but don't
    > try to equal out your distance to the longest expected ride. Maybe 2 days a week it should be
    > as long or longer than that expected distance, but the rest of the days should vary it and as
    > Per suggested, you need recovery days. Maybe you can do that on the spinner, but I would be
    > going absolutely bonkers on anything indoors for that long. But if you have the discipline,
    > more power to you.

    Thanks for your help. I have ordered some products that contain the above items. I'm not a big fan
    of gatorade, but I think there are similar products that taste better. I will check out the
    HammerGel. I have tried the Cliffshots, Powergel, and Cytomax gel (which has helped the best so
    far). Sweating is an issue for me, even at 15 degrees.

    I will take your advice on the distance regimin. Spinning inside doesn't bother me that much. I can
    control the computer and TV with remotes while spinning and I don't even realize how long I have
    been on half the time.

  10. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message news:hJqdnRXaH-ZqX97dRVn-
    [email protected] <snip>
    > Thanks for the info. I was eating and doing Cliff Shots, but maybe I need to do it more
    > frequently. I also heard that an intake of Potassium, Magnisium, and good old Sodium are essential
    > to preventing the bonk.

    I'm a little sceptical about how technical you should get about this at you level of riding. OK,
    admittedly I'm only a recreational rider myself and haven't needed to study nutrition in any great
    detail, but try something simple taking a banana, a nut bar or two, some trail scroggin or some of
    that sports replacement drink in your camelbak before getting into the gels and the really high tech
    expensive nutrition stuff.

    Good luck with that 4000' climb. How many miles is it? Four thousand will be OK if the gradient is
    kind. I did one recently and it was not kind. :) Still, I had no-one but myself to keep up with!
    --
    Westie

  11. D H wrote:
    > I would argue Per Elmsater's advice about sugar. Simple sugars do lead to bonking.

    I think you're confusing bonking and blood sugar levels. Bonking is running out of Glucogen no
    more no less. We can store aboit 60 -90 minutes worth before we run out. This can be replenished
    on the run with anything that has a high Glucogen Index, GI. Sugar has a high GI and so does
    cornflakes, raisins, honey, white bread and a bunch of other sweet food. If this is eaten while
    exercising or just prior it will not cause a crash of the blood sugar level, which is what I think
    you're talking about. If you eat pure sugar while not exercising this will lead to a high level of
    sugar in the blood which in turn will lead to a high insulin level. This in turn always leads to a
    so called crash. Ie the bloodsugar level falls down to below where you started out. This is not so
    when you are exercising. Eating sugar while exercising will not raise your insulin level and hence
    you will not crash. There may be other reasons to not eat simple sugar but to avoid bonking is not
    one of them. This is also where the so called "Glucogen Window" stems from. Anywhere up to 30-60
    minutes after exercising your Glucogen Window is open. This means you can eat high GI products,
    like sugar, without raising your insulin level. The sugar will be immediately transformed into
    glucogen and stored in your muscles and liver. Of course I personally prefer honey to white sugar,
    but I definitely don't try to avoid it after exercising. A Snickers bar is really good stuff ;) I
    like to mix my own sportsdrinks with just water and honey and I like to bake my own powerbars.
    There is absolutely no need to get really technical about milligrams of this or that as a
    recreaqtional rider.

    --
    Perre

  12. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message news:hJqdnRXaH-ZqX97dRVn-
    > [email protected] <snip>
    >> Thanks for the info. I was eating and doing Cliff Shots, but maybe I need to do it more
    >> frequently. I also heard that an intake of Potassium, Magnisium, and good old Sodium are
    >> essential to preventing the bonk.
    >
    > I'm a little sceptical about how technical you should get about this at you level of riding. OK,
    > admittedly I'm only a recreational rider myself and haven't needed to study nutrition in any great
    > detail, but try something simple taking a banana, a nut bar or two, some trail scroggin or some of
    > that sports replacement drink in your camelbak before getting into the gels and the really high
    > tech expensive nutrition stuff.
    >
    > Good luck with that 4000' climb. How many miles is it? Four thousand will be OK if the gradient is
    > kind. I did one recently and it was not kind. :) Still, I had no-one but myself to keep up with!

    I have no intention of becoming a "professional" rider. I will do a 24 hour race in August, but
    that's just to say I did it. I'm not looking to win it, just to complete it. I have a friend who is
    a personal trainer and she has been helping me somewhat. She's not a rider, so her focus is on
    weight training. I won't take the nutrition stuff to the extreme level, but it did scare me a bit on
    the 27 mile ride the other day. I don't think I would have bonked so bad if I had not tried to keep
    up with the lead group.

    The 4000' climb is a 38 mile ride. So while the vertical is high it is spread out considerably. The
    only obstical that I see is that there is no relief. It is a gradual steady climb the entire way.
    When I ride some of the more mountainous trails in my area (Brandywine, Fair Hills, and even Jim
    Thorpe), there's always some relief after a couple miles of climbing. So there is nothing here to
    practice or train on that equals that climb. Needless to say, I want to do this and I will enjoy
    trying at least.

  13. Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > My energy was gone.

    There can be another explanation apart from bonking which on second thought i believe is more
    plausible. Bonking usually takes a couple of hours to accomplish. This is going above your LT,
    lactate treshhold, for too long too early in the ride. I've gotten dropped on the warmup portion of
    a ride and those times I've never quite recovered. This is due to my muscles becoming lactic long
    before they are warmed up and for some reason or other it seems to take a really long time to wash
    them clean again. If I get a proper warmup ( 20-30 minutes) I can go all out on a hill or sprint and
    build up lots of lactic acid without any problems. I just keep going at a lower gear and a higher
    cadence to wash out the lactic acid. For some reason this seems to be really hard to do if my
    buddies waste me early in the ride. The older I get the more sensitive I am to warming up properly.

    --
    Perre

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qbCdnWGMp8mnCN7dRVn-
    > > [email protected]>...

    > >> If my job and family didn't take most of my time, I would be out riding.
    > >
    > > So, sitting on a spinner is "quality time" with your family?
    >
    > After they're asleep it doesn't really matter, does it?

    Ever hear of night riding?

    > >> Yes, it is fun but still hard work getting in shape.
    > >
    > > It may be for you.
    >
    > When you haven't been in shape most of your life, it is hard work.

    Whose fault is that?

    > >> As for Dewey Bridge, I'll just have to try my best.
    > >
    > > Well, you are paying money and I'm sure there is a sag wagon to collect you up.
    >
    > Actually, in checking the itenerary, we are shuttled from Dewey Bridge to Hideout Canyon. What
    > worries me more is the 4000' climb up the Manti La Sal Mountains. If I have to bail half way up,
    > then so be it.

    SHUTTLED up the Dewey climb? Please don't claim to have ridden the Kokopelli after your tour is all
    said and done.

    JD

  15. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected][nospam]schnauzers.ws> wrote in message news:<Er2dnXRTI-qxdt7dRVn-
    > [email protected]>...
    >> JD wrote:
    >>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qbCdnWGMp8mnCN7dRVn-
    >>> [email protected]>...

    >>> So, sitting on a spinner is "quality time" with your family?
    >>
    >> After they're asleep it doesn't really matter, does it?
    >
    > Ever hear of night riding?

    Yes, and I do it at least once a week.

    >>> It may be for you.
    >>
    >> When you haven't been in shape most of your life, it is hard work.
    >
    > Whose fault is that?

    That's a silly question. It's my own fault, but that's why I am doing something about it.

    >>> Well, you are paying money and I'm sure there is a sag wagon to collect you up.
    >>
    >> Actually, in checking the itenerary, we are shuttled from Dewey Bridge to Hideout Canyon. What
    >> worries me more is the 4000' climb up the Manti La Sal Mountains. If I have to bail half way up,
    >> then so be it.
    >
    > SHUTTLED up the Dewey climb? Please don't claim to have ridden the Kokopelli after your tour is
    > all said and done.

    Well, I will say I have ridden it. But, I will always mention the parts I didn't or couldn't do. I
    think I will have done quite a bit of climbing by the time it is all over. More so, than we do here
    in the mideast. The tallest mountain in my state is only 1300'.

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JD wrote:
    > > SHUTTLED up the Dewey climb? Please don't claim to have ridden the Kokopelli after your tour is
    > > all said and done.
    >
    > Well, I will say I have ridden it.

    You'll only be kidding yourself. Cutting one of the most significant climbs out of a major route
    like that is cheesy at best.

    JD

  17. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Gu6dndIqxO03W9jdRVn-
    > [email protected]>...
    >> JD wrote:
    >>> SHUTTLED up the Dewey climb? Please don't claim to have ridden the Kokopelli after your tour is
    >>> all said and done.
    >>
    >> Well, I will say I have ridden it.
    >
    > You'll only be kidding yourself. Cutting one of the most significant climbs out of a major route
    > like that is cheesy at best.
    >
    > JD

    If I were doing this outside of a tour, I would give it a try. So there is no choice in this, as
    cheesy as it may be. I'll be back to CO in late July. I'll climb Vail mtn in the heat to make up
    for it. :)

    I do have to ask, and I hope you will be honest. Have you done the trail, including the Dewey climb?

  18. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:18:16 -0500, "Ride-A-Lot"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was informed by email (glad I check it first thing in the AM) that the scheduled club ride at
    >Fair Hills was cancelled. It seemed that the trail bunnies in MD didn't think the trails were
    >suitable for riding. They should tell that to the equestrians as well. So, we opted for the
    >alternate ride at Lebanon State Forest in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
    >
    >It was a beautiful morning. The temperature was 50 degrees and climbing. The first truly spring
    >weather in our region. The trail was fast this morning. So fast, I could actually keep up with the
    >'A' group, until I was blind-sided (I'll explain later). The spring smell was incredible and you
    >can see the first new sprouts of the year coming up from the pine needle covered floor. You could
    >also here the A-10 warthogs at Fort Dix practicing in the background. The machine gun fire almost
    >gave us a rhythm to pedal by.
    >
    >Lebanon State Forest is a huge park (by New Jersey standards). It crosses several highways and
    >stretches almost from Philadelphia to the New Jersey Shore. It is flat, with Mt. Misery making up
    >the highest elevation at about 300'. There are miles of trails which are mostly single-track. I had
    >thought that we would be doing the pink trail. An 8 mile in and 8 mile out single-track. So, I was
    >giving it all I had to keep up with the leaders, and I was having a blast. When we hit the 8 mile
    >mark it was decided that we'd hit the white trail since it was 60+ degrees and absolutely
    >beautiful. The little loop added 11 miles to the single-track bliss. This was way past what my
    >longest distance is. I was good until mile 20. Then I hit the wall. Cramps in my legs and a burning
    >that could of set the forest on fire. My energy was gone. I had wasted all of it on what I thought
    >would be a 16 mile ride. Needless to say, the last 7 miles over Mt. Misery were truly a misery. But
    >I refused to give up and although was crawling, I never got off the bike.
    >
    >I now know I will need to up my daily spinning to 24 miles at a high resistance. I also need to
    >pace myself a little better. There's no need to be in the front on a social ride. I am doing
    >Kokopelli's trail in May. It's going to be some hard work from this day on.
    >
    >Thanks for reading!=

    nice, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  19. SWorksRider

    SWorksRider New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    4000 feet in 38 miles? im sorry, im doing a Beech Mountain race next weekend - - no sympathies

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > If I were doing this outside of a tour, I would give it a try. So there is no choice in this, as
    > cheesy as it may be. I'll be back to CO in late July. I'll climb Vail mtn in the heat to make up
    > for it. :)

    Vail doesn't get hot, it's too high.

    > I do have to ask, and I hope you will be honest. Have you done the trail, including the
    > Dewey climb?

    Several times, which is why I referred to it in the first place.

    JD