(RR) My Shelby Farms "Triathalon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clyde_in_tn

Having nothing better to do today I headed out to Shelby Farms for a little bit of fun and PT.

I started out riding the Tour de Wolf on the Single Speed...

http://midsouthtrails.com/midsouthtrails/mapmenu.html#TXTOBJ7D0341E173A3A1E01

It's a amusing trail, not overly technical but the rigid Single Speed keeps it interesting. In fact
I'm starting to actually enjoy riding it. I must admit, few weeks ago when I got here I didn't
really love riding it like the trails back home such as FOMBA, but it s growing on me. the more I
ride it, and try different lines through different sections the more amusing it is becoming. I do
also enjoy passing the "locals" on their double-boingies. I always make an effort to be friendly and
say "hello" or "good day", but they seem to be aloof. I dunno if it's because I'm a Damned Yankee or
a SingleSpeed'er.

Upon completion of the loop I still had a hankering for more so I loaded up the SS and pulled the
Beer'Cross down, switched into my Sidi's and did the Chickasaw Lake Loop on the paved Multi-Use
path. http://midsouthtrails.com/midsouthtrails/mapmenu.html#SGROBJ7D140F121B253161 It was still
early so the path was pretty deserted and I was able ot open it up a bit. I went into a few tight
turns a bit too hot and found myself sliding on the leaf/brush blow down from "Hurricane Elvis" that
blew through last month. I recovered from the slides and stayed up, but I was reminded that 700 x 23
UltraGatorSkin tires at 120psi don't handle well on wet leaves. After doing the loop twice, I rode
the Patriot Lake loop twice to cool down and gawk at the yummy mommies.

I returned to the car and loaded the 'Cross up top and still had a hankering o some more PT so I
donned the Roller Blades and did another 2 laps around Patriot Lake, As I was out of water, I just
rolled along and enjoyed the beautiful weather. People we definitely more friendly towards me when I
was on the blades, "hello's" or simple head nod's were returned and people smiled back. Odd, indeed.

Afterwards I went into the visitors center and picked up a business card for the Mid South Trails
Association. I think I'll check them out and see what they are all about.

--
John G. Send me some Singletrack!

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080703030601060906050605 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

> "I always make an effort to be friendly and say "hello" or "good day", but they seem to be aloof.
> I dunno if it's because I'm a Damned Yankee or a SingleSpeed'er."

What part of Yankee land are you from? I am also a Damned Yankee, I seem to run into the same "hello
problem with no response" as you do as I loop around the TDW. All I usually get is the blank stare
back from the other bikers/runners or dog walkers.

> "Afterwards I went into the visitors center and picked up a business card for the Mid South Trails
> Association. I think I'll check them out and see what they are all about."

You can get to the Mid-South Trails web site from www.ClubMTB.com. There are some nice people from
MST that I ride with sometimes.

--------------080703030601060906050605 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title> </head> <body
text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> <blockquote type="cite"><i>"I always make an effort to be friendly
and say "hello" or "good day", but they seem to be aloof. I dunno if it's because I'm a Damned
Yankee or a SingleSpeed'er."</i></blockquote> <br> <br> What part of Yankee land are you from?
I am also a Damned Yankee, I seem to run into the same "hello problem with no response" as you do as
I loop around the TDW. All I usually get is the blank stare back from the other bikers/runners
or dog walkers.<br> <br> <blockquote type="cite"><i>"Afterwards I went into the visitors
center and picked up a business card for the Mid South Trails Association. I think I'll check them
out and see what they are all about."</i></blockquote> You can get to the Mid-South Trails web site
from <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.ClubMTB.com">www.ClubMTB.com</a>.
There are some nice people from MST that I ride with sometimes. <br> <br> <br> <br> <br>
</body> </html>

--------------080703030601060906050605--

qa2 wrote:
>> "I always make an effort to be friendly and say "hello" or "good day", but they seem to be aloof.
>> I dunno if it's because I'm a Damned Yankee or a SingleSpeed'er."
>
>
>
> What part of Yankee land are you from?

New Hampshire

>> "Afterwards I went into the visitors center and picked up a business card for the Mid South
>> Trails Association. I think I'll check them out and see what they are all about."
>
> You can get to the Mid-South Trails web site from www.ClubMTB.com. There are some nice people from
> MST that I ride with sometimes.

Are there any upcoming group rides?

There is a couple of us that get together and do some night rides at the Stank or maybe a Sunday
ride or something. When summer is over I would suspect the rides to start again. I try to ride 6 out
of 7 day during a week but I don't know how I am going to do that the next couple of weeks. I found
two cracks in my Fisher frame today. The weld where the seat tube, top tube and seat stay meet has
two horizontal cracks across the weld at exactly the same spots on either side. Hopefully Outdoors
Inc. will corporate with me and get me a new frame.

I am from Pennsylvania. I too miss the hills....

Clyde_in_TN wrote:

> qa2 wrote:
>
>>> "I always make an effort to be friendly and say "hello" or "good day", but they seem to be
>>> aloof. I dunno if it's because I'm a Damned Yankee or a SingleSpeed'er."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> What part of Yankee land are you from?
>
>
>
> New Hampshire
>
>
>>> "Afterwards I went into the visitors center and picked up a business card for the Mid South
>>> Trails Association. I think I'll check them out and see what they are all about."
>>
>>
>> You can get to the Mid-South Trails web site from www.ClubMTB.com. There are some nice people
>> from MST that I ride with sometimes.
>
>
> Are there any upcoming group rides?

qa2 wrote:
> There is a couple of us that get together and do some night rides at the Stank or maybe a Sunday
> ride or something.

Shoot me an E-Mail if/when you want to get together or a ride

Status
Not open for further replies.