Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR - N.Wales Clywdian range

Started by Spademan O----L · · Last activity · 5 posts · 674 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 November 2003
Last activity
27 November 2003
Original author
Spademan O----L
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
674
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. For the benefit of Shaun who couldn't make it, and anyone else interested in reading a poorly
    constructed RR here's a summary of last Sundays ride shenanigans.

    Setting off from Cilcain (near Mold) our route guide suggested parking in the village car-park,
    however a friendly sign stated that 'This car-park is for users of the village hall only and the
    gates may be locked at any time without warning'. Not wanting to meet the wrath of Welsh jumble
    salers and tea morningers' we opted to park on the road. The route started with a steep road climb
    so naturally we parked at the top of this. After several false-starts involving a field, a horse and
    a farmer we set off in the opposite direction down a nice rough track, ominously peering at the
    foggy hills around us and crunching through ice-filled puddles. A bit of climbing was followed by a
    fast descent which soon disintergrated into a muddy track, then gave up all pretence and turned into
    a river. A swift road descent was then followed by a not-quite-swift climb back up, re-joining the
    path we had headed down. Startling us out of our crawl uphill a low flying bird buzzed by, a
    large(ish) bird of prey, I was treated to watching it circling nearby for a minute before it perched
    on a dead tree. I'll say it was a Hen Harrier at the moment although Red Kites are sometimes seen in
    this area.

    Carrying on up we headed onto a rooty muddy path which divided, one route heading down and one up. A
    quick discussion later we headed down, following another couple of riders. The path was covered in
    leaves so it was impossible to see what was beneath, which somehow made it easier to ride fast and
    ping off the hidden rocks and roots. A fun descent indeed. We stopped for a sandwich overlooking the
    valley and as the day had brightened up we could see for miles. Apparently you can see as far as
    Snowdon from this point, but as we couldn't even decide which mountain was Snowdon when we were
    riding up it last month we resorted to pointing at the highest mountain we could see.

    We continued riding around the side of the mountain, deep mud in places made the going slow but fun.
    Eventually we came to a car park at the top of a forest, the route guide suggested taking the left
    hand path through the forest and down to the road below, but I knew we could do better. Passing by
    several vans full of armour clad DH'ers fettling their monster bikes my brother gave me a few
    nervous glances as I told him I knew a good little path which wound its way down the forest
    hillside. A short but familiar climb led to the entrance of a path running off, twisting down the
    hill out of sight. For some reason at this point I managed to get a flat tyre. While I was changing
    it the riders we had seen at the car park arrived at the top and pulled on their full-face helmets
    and goggles, looking at us in bemusement. My brother was looking distictly worried. The scousers
    track at Nannerch is infamous in the UK and is used by many DH'ers as a training run, its route
    littered with jumps and steep drop-offs. 10 minutes later words such as 'bonkers', 'absoloutely
    stupid' and 'how do more people not die here?' were uttered, but I reckon on being the first peson
    to make it down on a rigid bike with a map-holder on the bars.

    Arms pumped we picked up a track off the road at the bottom which soon had us back to normality. The
    track narrowed to singletrack which would have been excellent if the trails were a little drier, but
    still provided much enjoyment. Rejoining the traill we set-off on we sped back over the rocky track
    flinging mud as we went, racing the sun as it neared the horizon.

    Steve.

  2. "spademan o---[\) *" <[email hidden]> had this to say
    "]news:[email hidden]

    (snip "chilly" RR)

    Quoted message said:

    flinging mud as we went, racing the sun as it neared the horizon.

    Steve.

    ahh, thats what it's all about. Thanks for the post :-)

    Dave (what silly season?)

  3. "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    For the benefit of Shaun who couldn't make it,

    Hey Spadie - cheers ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    and anyone else interested in reading a poorly constructed RR here's a summary of last Sundays
    ride shenanigans.

    Setting off from Cilcain (near Mold) our route guide suggested parking in the village car-park,
    however a friendly sign stated that 'This car-park


    is

    Quoted message said:

    for users of the village hall only and the gates may be locked at any time without warning'. Not
    wanting to meet the wrath of Welsh jumble salers and tea morningers' we opted to park on the road.
    The route started with a steep road climb so naturally we parked at the top of this. After several
    false-starts involving a field, a horse and a farmer we set off in the opposite direction down a
    nice rough track, ominously peering at the foggy hills around us and crunching through ice-filled
    puddles.

    Ooo, lovely. If there's one thing I've been missing lately, it's crunching through ice
    filled puddles.

    ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    A bit of climbing was followed by a fast descent which soon disintergrated into a muddy


    track,

    Quoted message said:

    then gave up all pretence and turned into a river. A swift road descent


    was

    Quoted message said:

    then followed by a not-quite-swift climb back up, re-joining the path we


    had

    Quoted message said:

    headed down. Startling us out of our crawl uphill a low flying bird buzzed by, a large(ish) bird
    of prey, I was treated to watching it circling


    nearby

    Quoted message said:

    for a minute before it perched on a dead tree. I'll say it was a Hen


    Harrier

    Quoted message said:

    at the moment although Red Kites are sometimes seen in this area.

    Cool - big birds too.

    Quoted message said:

    Carrying on up we headed onto a rooty muddy path which divided, one route heading down and one up.
    A quick discussion later we headed down,


    following

    Quoted message said:

    another couple of riders. The path was covered in leaves so it was impossible to see what was
    beneath, which somehow made it easier to ride fast and ping off the hidden rocks and roots. A fun
    descent indeed.

    I woulda likely [censored] myself, by the sounds of that.

    Quoted message said:

    We stopped for a sandwich

    Bloody sandwiches - worse than hikers for blocking trails.

    Quoted message said:

    overlooking the valley and as the day had brightened up we could see for miles. Apparently you can
    see as far as Snowdon from this point, but as we couldn't even decide which mountain was Snowdon
    when we were riding up it last month we resorted to pointing at the highest mountain we could see.

    Heheheheheheh........ ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    We continued riding around the side of the mountain, deep mud in places


    made

    Quoted message said:

    the going slow but fun. Eventually we came to a car park at the top of a forest, the route guide
    suggested taking the left hand path through the forest and down to the road below, but I knew we
    could do better. Passing


    by

    Quoted message said:

    several vans full of armour clad DH'ers fettling their monster bikes my brother gave me a few
    nervous glances as I told him I knew a good little path which wound its way down the forest
    hillside. A short but familiar climb led to the entrance of a path running off, twisting down
    the hill


    out

    Quoted message said:

    of sight. For some reason at this point I managed to get a flat tyre.


    While

    Quoted message said:

    I was changing it the riders we had seen at the car park arrived at the


    top

    Quoted message said:

    and pulled on their full-face helmets and goggles, looking at us in bemusement. My brother was
    looking distictly worried. The scousers track


    at

    Quoted message said:

    Nannerch is infamous in the UK and is used by many DH'ers as a training


    run,

    Quoted message said:

    its route littered with jumps and steep drop-offs. 10 minutes later words such as 'bonkers',
    'absoloutely stupid' and 'how do more people not die here?' were uttered, but I reckon on being
    the first peson to make it down on a rigid bike with a map-holder on the bars.

    You're a freak Spadie, truly a freak ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:

    Arms pumped we picked up a track off the road at the bottom which soon had us back to normality.
    The track narrowed to singletrack which would have been excellent if the trails were a little
    drier, but still provided much enjoyment. Rejoining the traill we set-off on we sped back over the
    rocky track flinging mud as we went, racing the sun as it neared the horizon.

    Steve.

    Ahh, glad you had fun - cool stuff mate, nice write up. Wish I coulda been there, instead of all
    warm and cosy, in the pub, with my wife, drinking beer. I gotta go now, I believe I feel a tear
    coming on.........

    Cheers!

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  4. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    After several false-starts involving a field, a horse and a farmer we set off in the opposite
    direction down a nice rough track, ominously peering at the


    foggy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hills around us and crunching through ice-filled puddles.

    Ooo, lovely. If there's one thing I've been missing lately, it's crunching through ice filled
    puddles.

    Was fun on the way out, but after the river ride, the cooling fast road descent, the mud etc I
    wasn't quite so enthusiastic on the way back....

    Startling us out of our crawl uphill a low flying bird buzzed

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    by, a large(ish) bird of prey, I was treated to watching it circling


    nearby

    Quoted message said:

    for a minute before it perched on a dead tree. I'll say it was a Hen


    Harrier

    Quoted message said:

    at the moment although Red Kites are sometimes seen in this area.

    Cool - big birds too.

    Yep it was a big bird, flew right past me a few metres overhead, proper 'WTF was that' moment.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We stopped for a sandwich


    Bloody sandwiches - worse than hikers for blocking trails.

    Indeed. And when I stop for walkers I don't usually devour them so hungrily.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nannerch is infamous in the UK and is used by many DH'ers as a training


    run,

    Quoted message said:

    its route littered with jumps and steep drop-offs. 10 minutes later


    words

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    such as 'bonkers', 'absoloutely stupid' and 'how do more people not die here?' were uttered, but
    I reckon on being the first peson to make it


    down

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on a rigid bike with a map-holder on the bars.

    You're a freak Spadie, truly a freak ',;~}~

    It was a little surreal, in a funny way. At least I knew what was coming up, my brother had to
    follow blindly.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rejoining the trail we set-off on we sped back over the rocky track flinging mud as we went,
    racing the sun as it neared the horizon.

    Steve.

    Ahh, glad you had fun - cool stuff mate, nice write up. Wish I coulda been there, instead of all
    warm and cosy, in the pub, with my wife, drinking beer. I gotta go now, I believe I feel a tear
    coming on.........

    Oh the humanity! I'll have a couple of beers tonight to help me understand...

    Steve.

  5. "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "spademan o---[) *" <[email hidden]> wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    After several false-starts involving a field, a horse and a farmer we set off in the opposite
    direction down a nice rough track, ominously peering at the


    foggy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hills around us and crunching through ice-filled puddles.

    Ooo, lovely. If there's one thing I've been missing lately, it's


    crunching

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    through ice filled puddles.

    Was fun on the way out, but after the river ride, the cooling fast road descent, the mud etc I
    wasn't quite so enthusiastic on the way back....

    Heheheheheh.......

    Quoted message said:

    Startling us out of our crawl uphill a low flying bird buzzed

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    by, a large(ish) bird of prey, I was treated to watching it circling


    nearby

    Quoted message said:

    for a minute before it perched on a dead tree. I'll say it was a Hen


    Harrier

    Quoted message said:

    at the moment although Red Kites are sometimes seen in this area.

    Cool - big birds too.

    Yep it was a big bird, flew right past me a few metres overhead, proper


    'WTF

    Quoted message said:

    was that' moment.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We stopped for a sandwich


    Bloody sandwiches - worse than hikers for blocking trails.

    Indeed. And when I stop for walkers I don't usually devour them so


    hungrily.

    WIMP! ',;~}~

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nannerch is infamous in the UK and is used by many DH'ers as a


    training

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    run,

    Quoted message said:

    its route littered with jumps and steep drop-offs. 10 minutes later


    words

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    such as 'bonkers', 'absoloutely stupid' and 'how do more people not


    die

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    here?' were uttered, but I reckon on being the first peson to make it


    down

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on a rigid bike with a map-holder on the bars.

    You're a freak Spadie, truly a freak ',;~}~

    It was a little surreal, in a funny way. At least I knew what was coming


    up,

    Quoted message said:

    my brother had to follow blindly.

    Has he stopped trembling yet?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rejoining the trail we set-off on we sped back over the rocky track flinging mud as we went,
    racing the sun as it neared the


    horizon.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Steve.

    Ahh, glad you had fun - cool stuff mate, nice write up. Wish I coulda


    been

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    there, instead of all warm and cosy, in the pub, with my wife, drinking beer. I gotta go now, I
    believe I feel a tear coming on.........

    Oh the humanity! I'll have a couple of beers tonight to help me understand...

    ',;~}~

    Heheh -we were on mulled wine last night, made from some of my 15+% abv home-brew red, cinnamon,
    cardamom, mace, clove, ginger, caraway seed, coriander seed and sliced fragrant apples. Damned
    lovely, warming.....and oh hell, uuuuhhhhhmm...... where's my head gone?

    Cheerzsh!

    Shaun aRe - It wasn't beer, but it did the trick.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.