RR: New Trail, Sans Shoesies

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Anthony Sloan, May 2, 2003.

  1. So Reimer's Ranch is gonna be opened up to mountain bikers. Some dedicated trail builders have spent
    the last two months putting in a very sweet 12 mile loop. We did a sneak peek preview ride out there
    this morning. There were about 7 of us. I drove out there and realized on arrival that I had left my
    shoes on the porch from last night's ride. Luckily X-Ray had a set of flat pedals, so I kept my
    light hikers on and hit the trail. I have been on clipless pedals for well over a decade. Lemme tell
    you, in case for some reason you were doubting, there is definite benefit to clipless! I especially
    noticed it on technical climbs and going off of ledges. I also had no idea how much I am used to
    using my feet to move the bike around.

    The trail was uber sweet. rolling through open oak scrubland, with some nice transitions, tasty
    little pockets of technical chunkiness and some nice "open up the bike" sections.

    I snapped a few pics, none of trail though. There is a gorgeous grotto out there. Should be perfect
    for post ride swims.

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers1.jpg

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers2.jpg

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers3.jpg

    http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimerscave.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 02 May 2003 11:56:01 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > I drove out there and realized on arrival that I had left my shoes on the porch from last night's
    > ride. Luckily X-Ray had a set of flat pedals, so I kept my light hikers on and hit the trail.

    I carry a set of flats now for that very reason. Doesn't help much if you're wearing
    sandals, though!

    > I have been on clipless pedals for well over a decade. Lemme tell you, in case for some reason
    > you were doubting, there is definite benefit to clipless! I especially noticed it on technical
    > climbs and going off of ledges. I also had no idea how much I am used to using my feet to move
    > the bike around.

    I've ridden flats on rental bikes, it drives me nuts. My feet are always coming off the pedals
    during techncail stuff.

    > The trail was uber sweet. rolling through open oak scrubland, with some nice transitions, tasty
    > little pockets of technical chunkiness and some nice "open up the bike" sections.

    Sounds like your trailbuilders did a great job!

    > I snapped a few pics, none of trail though. There is a gorgeous grotto out there. Should be
    > perfect for post ride swims.
    >
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers1.jpg http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers2.jpg
    > http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimers3.jpg http://www.anthonysloan.com/reimerscave.jpg

    Really nice. I don't remember anything looking like that when I was San Antonio, but I probably
    wasn't looking for much beyond margaritas.

    Good stuff!