RR: New trail!!!

Marty

Guest
Ok..... for me anyway.

Anybody who has been here any length of time knows I ride a trail system which is part of
Maryland's Patapsco State Park. I usually hook into this from my house via River Rd and ride to
Henryton Rd. The trails run along the river and up on the ridges for about 12 miles (round trip). I
have always suspected that they hook up with the McKeldin Area of Patapsco but never had the time
to check it out.

Today I decided to ride the McKeldin trails. I parked the big red Jeep thing at the Marriottsville
Rd parking lot (by the railroad tracks). As you're looking at the tracks, I decided to go west (or
right) and see if I could link the two trails instead of riding McKeldin.

I crossed the tracks and rode past an old brick furnace (Civil War vintage) and was immediately
sucked into some of the twistiest, hilliest, rootiest, rockiest, sweetiest single track I have
ever put bike tires onto. At no time could you get speed but there was climbing, STEEP
downhills, small streams, logs, tight switchbacks etc. To make it better it connected to the
other trail system.

This gives me almost 20 miles of barely touched (by bikes) contiguous single track RIGHT OUT MY
FRIGGIN' FRONT DOOR!!!

I haven't been this stoked since I got pushed out of an airplane!!!

Time for a beer and some food......................

Marty

"Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok..... for me anyway.
>
> Anybody who has been here any length of time knows I ride a trail system which is part of
> Maryland's Patapsco State Park. I usually hook into this from my house via River Rd and ride to
> Henryton Rd. The trails run along the river and up on the ridges for about 12 miles (round trip).
> I have always suspected that they hook up with the McKeldin Area of Patapsco but never had the
> time to check it out.
>
> Today I decided to ride the McKeldin trails. I parked the big red Jeep thing at the
> Marriottsville Rd parking lot (by the railroad tracks). As you're looking at the tracks, I
> decided to go west (or right) and see if I could link the two trails instead of riding McKeldin.
>
> I crossed the tracks and rode past an old brick furnace (Civil War vintage) and was immediately
> sucked into some of the twistiest, hilliest, rootiest, rockiest, sweetiest single track I have
> ever put bike tires onto. At no time could you get speed but there was climbing, STEEP
> downhills, small streams, logs, tight switchbacks etc. To make it better it connected to the
> other trail system.
>
> This gives me almost 20 miles of barely touched (by bikes) contiguous single track RIGHT OUT MY
> FRIGGIN' FRONT DOOR!!!

It was right under your nose all that time, Snoopy.

> I haven't been this stoked since I got pushed out of an airplane!!!

My first ropedope at Benning, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that Herky. All of those Army
fuzzbuts and their weak-stomach barfing had the inside of that bird smelling like a bum-filled alley
on a hot Sunday morning. Knees in the cool and unpolluted breeze were all I could think of.

JD

> "Marty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ok..... for me anyway.
> >
> > Anybody who has been here any length of time knows I ride a trail system which is part of
> > Maryland's Patapsco State Park. I usually hook into
this
> > from my house via River Rd and ride to Henryton Rd. The trails run along
the
> > river and up on the ridges for about 12 miles (round trip). I have
always
> > suspected that they hook up with the McKeldin Area of Patapsco but never
had
> > the time to check it out.
> >
> > Today I decided to ride the McKeldin trails. I parked the big red Jeep
> > thing at the Marriottsville Rd parking lot (by the railroad tracks). As
> > you're looking at the tracks, I decided to go west (or right) and see if
> > could link the two trails instead of riding McKeldin.
> >
> > I crossed the tracks and rode past an old brick furnace (Civil War vintage) and was
> > immediately sucked into some of the twistiest,
hilliest,
> > rootiest, rockiest, sweetiest single track I have ever put bike tires
onto.
> > At no time could you get speed but there was climbing, STEEP downhills, small streams, logs,
> > tight switchbacks etc. To make it better it
connected
> > to the other trail system.
> >
> > This gives me almost 20 miles of barely touched (by bikes) contiguous single track RIGHT OUT MY
> > FRIGGIN' FRONT DOOR!!!
>
> It was right under your nose all that time, Snoopy.
>
> > I haven't been this stoked since I got pushed out of an airplane!!!
>
> My first ropedope at Benning, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of that Herky. All of those Army
> fuzzbuts and their weak-stomach barfing had the inside of that bird smelling like a bum-filled
> alley on a hot Sunday morning. Knees in the cool and unpolluted breeze were all I could think of.
>
> JD

Bum filled alley? Now there is an image.

My first jump I hesitated in the door and got a size 12 boot in the a$$ for my contemplation. The
echos of "move your a$$ Marine" in my ears. I planned how I was going to kick his a$$ for the first
10 seconds then enjoyed the hell out of the rest of the ride. I never did get used to the jumps
though. Never seemed natural to me. Did 'em but hated 'em. I actually liked the night jumps better.
I have to admit though it was a HUGE adrenaline hype.

Jumping was kind of like the idea of single speeds. Just doesn't seem natural. Some days I just
don't seem to have enough gears! Some hills I find myself grabbing for another one and realize I'm
already maxed. I guess to make the analogy of SS to jumps work right though I'd have to do it
without a chute........

BTW, it's almost time to retire the Marin. I was looking at JAMIS Dakar and SPECIALIZED Rockhopper's
today. Want to stay under $1500.

ar ar ar

Marty

Henryton is a killer on the road bike, I've climbed that ******* a few times.

>The trails run along the river and up on the ridges for about 12 miles (round trip). I have
>always suspected that they hook up with the McKeldin Area of Patapsco but never had the time to
>check it out.
>
> Today I decided to ride the McKeldin trails. I parked the big red Jeep thing at the
> Marriottsville Rd parking lot (by the railroad tracks). As you're looking at the tracks, I
> decided to go west (or right) and see if I could link the two trails instead of riding McKeldin.
>
> I crossed the tracks and rode past an old brick furnace (Civil War vintage) and was immediately
> sucked into some of the twistiest, hilliest, rootiest, rockiest, sweetiest single track I have
> ever put bike tires onto. At no time could you get speed but there was climbing, STEEP downhills,
> small streams, logs, tight switchbacks etc. To make it better it connected to the other trail
> system.
>
> This gives me almost 20 miles of barely touched (by bikes) contiguous single track RIGHT OUT MY
> FRIGGIN' FRONT DOOR!!!
>
> I haven't been this stoked since I got pushed out of an airplane!!!
>
>Time for a beer and some food......................
>
>Marty

Marty, thanks for the info. I must check those trails out.

:-]