RR: New trails @ Blue Mountain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    We hadn't been to Blue Mountain since last spring, we had the chance so we decided to take the drive
    to Westchester County. Most of the trail is very very rocky, with big boulders, sheer drop-offs and
    steep-ass climbs. The typical east coast technical stuff. Weschester Mountain Biking Association are
    the people that are responsible for keeping Blue Mountain beautiful and maintained:

    http://www.wmba.org/

    They had added some new trails so we figured we would check them out because we had heard some great
    things about the new cut-ins. They had added "Chriscross", "SIS", "My Favorite Trail", "Upper SIS"
    and several others. We got in there and had to familiarize ourselves with the trail again. We
    brought a map so we could see where the new trails were. We rode in on a portion of the "Blue
    Mountain Summit Trail" and stuck to most of the blue sections. We managed to ride "My Favorite
    Trail", that sonofbitch was hard. It was hard because we wound up starting from the wrong end, we
    realized this after we completed it and another rider told us we had gone in from the wrong
    direction. The locals seemed to have no trouble riding it. Oh well, next time we'll get it right. We
    threw in "Hip-Hop" and a portion of the Dickey Brook Trail. We didn't have much time to spend there
    to check out the other new trails and the usual ones that we like to do, such as "Yin" and "Yang",
    "Crossover" and "Two Crew Live". We'll have to go back again soon when we get the opportunity.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We hadn't been to Blue Mountain since last spring, we had the chance so we decided to take the
    > drive to Westchester County. Most of the trail is very very rocky, with big boulders, sheer
    > drop-offs and steep-ass climbs. The typical east coast technical stuff. Weschester Mountain Biking
    > Association are the people that are responsible for keeping Blue Mountain beautiful and
    > maintained:
    >
    > http://www.wmba.org/
    >
    > They had added some new trails so we figured we would check them out because we had heard some
    > great things about the new cut-ins. They had added "Chriscross", "SIS", "My Favorite Trail",
    > "Upper SIS" and several others. We got in there and had to familiarize ourselves with the trail
    > again. We brought a map so we could see where the new trails were. We rode in on a portion of the
    > "Blue Mountain Summit Trail" and stuck to most of the blue sections. We managed to ride "My
    > Favorite Trail", that sonofbitch was hard. It was hard because we wound up starting from the wrong
    > end, we realized this after we completed it and another rider told us we had gone in from the
    > wrong direction. The locals seemed to have no trouble riding it. Oh well, next time we'll get it
    > right. We threw in "Hip-Hop" and a portion of the Dickey Brook Trail. We didn't have much time to
    > spend there to check out the other new trails and the usual ones that we like to do, such as "Yin"
    > and "Yang", "Crossover" and "Two Crew Live". We'll have to go back again soon when we get the
    > opportunity.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Hey Carla, Thanks for the RR. I've yet to ride that place. /s

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > We hadn't been to Blue Mountain since last spring, we had the chance so we decided to take the
    > drive to Westchester County. Most of the trail is very very rocky, with big boulders, sheer
    > drop-offs and steep-ass climbs. The typical east coast technical stuff. Weschester Mountain Biking
    > Association are the people that are responsible for keeping Blue Mountain beautiful and
    > maintained:
    >
    > http://www.wmba.org/
    >
    > They had added some new trails so we figured we would check them out because we had heard some
    > great things about the new cut-ins. They had added "Chriscross", "SIS", "My Favorite Trail",
    > "Upper SIS" and several others. We got in there and had to familiarize ourselves with the trail
    > again. We brought a map so we could see where the new trails were. We rode in on a portion of the
    > "Blue Mountain Summit Trail" and stuck to most of the blue sections. We managed to ride "My
    > Favorite Trail", that sonofbitch was hard. It was hard because we wound up starting from the wrong
    > end, we realized this after we completed it and another rider told us we had gone in from the
    > wrong direction. The locals seemed to have no trouble riding it. Oh well, next time we'll get it
    > right. We threw in "Hip-Hop" and a portion of the Dickey Brook Trail. We didn't have much time to
    > spend there to check out the other new trails and the usual ones that we like to do, such as "Yin"
    > and "Yang", "Crossover" and "Two Crew Live". We'll have to go back again soon when we get the
    > opportunity.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Sounds like pretty tough stuff for the SS. Did you dare?

    Paladin

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Carla, Thanks for the RR. I've yet to ride that place.

    Gordo, we'll be going up there soon in a couple of weeks, would you like to join us for a bone
    rattling ride?

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  5. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Sounds like pretty tough stuff for the SS. Did you dare?

    Too difficult for me to attempt to ride the SS there. I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to
    climbing with it. A 32:16 just doesn't cut it there at all, no matter how strong you are. We did
    stop and chat to a guy who was riding his SS there with a 32:18, and it was way too difficult even
    with that ratio.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  6. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Sounds like pretty tough stuff for the SS. Did you dare?
    >>

    > Too difficult for me to attempt to ride the SS there. I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to
    > climbing with it. A 32:16 just doesn't cut it there at all, no matter how strong you are. We did
    > stop and chat to a guy who was riding his SS there with a 32:18, and it was way too difficult even
    > with that ratio.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I've currently got a 30x20 setup, which keeps me humming through everything. And we're sorta known
    for our steep trails. You might try something like that. I've never had to walk while geared riders
    rode. Say that 10 times fast.

    Paladin

  7. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Carla A-G wrote:
    >
    > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>Sounds like pretty tough stuff for the SS. Did you dare?
    > >>

    > > Too difficult for me to attempt to ride the SS there. I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to
    > > climbing with it. A 32:16 just doesn't cut it there at all, no matter how strong you are. We did
    > > stop and chat to a guy who was riding his SS there with a 32:18, and it was way too difficult
    > > even with that ratio.
    > >
    > > - CA-G
    > >
    > > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    > >

    > I've currently got a 30x20 setup, which keeps me humming through everything. And we're sorta known
    > for our steep trails. You might try something like that. I've never had to walk while geared
    > riders rode. Say that 10 times fast.
    >
    > Paladin

    May I ask what crankset and freewheel you are using to get that combination?

    I was looking at upgrading my ss cranks with a TruVativ Stylo cranset.

  8. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Paladin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Carla A-G wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>Too difficult for me to attempt to ride the SS there. I have yet a lot to learn when it comes to
    >>>climbing with it. A 32:16 just doesn't cut it there at all, no matter how strong you are. We did
    >>>stop and chat to a guy who was riding his SS there with a 32:18, and it was way too difficult
    >>>even with that ratio.
    >>>
    >>>- CA-G
    >>>
    >>>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
    >>>

    >>I've currently got a 30x20 setup, which keeps me humming through everything. And we're sorta known
    >>for our steep trails. You might try something like that. I've never had to walk while geared
    >>riders rode. Say that 10 times fast.
    >>
    >>Paladin
    >>

    > May I ask what crankset and freewheel you are using to get that combination?
    >
    > I was looking at upgrading my ss cranks with a TruVativ Stylo cranset.

    An ACS Claws ring on the back. Some no-name, maybe Vuelta or other generic ring on the front.

    Its standard,5-hole 110/74 with the old Shimano cranks. I thik its a Paul or CK hub.

    I don't do my own drive train work, since it takes such exteme torque from just normal use and
    really has to be done right. Gonna have a pro buddy re-fit it, as I'm

    switching to compact so I can use my shiny new Icon Sterling 180s.

    I'll probably go to 32 x 20 for all-around use. The 30x20 was in anticipation of our big ride up
    north, the AMB-03 epic, where I chickened out and ran gears.

    hth, Paladin

  9. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey Carla, Thanks for the RR. I've yet to ride that place.
    >
    > Gordo, we'll be going up there soon in a couple of weeks, would you like to join us for a bone
    > rattling ride?
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Schweet! /s