RR NSW State XC Round 2 (Sport Class)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Parbs, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    This was the second State round for this year. The plan was to take it
    easy & keep the leaders in sight, hopefully conserving enough in my legs
    to storm past on the climbs on the final lap

    The field took off very quickly then slowed down through the first
    single track and out of sight of the few gathered around the start
    except for one guy who really took off. On the flat I didn't have the
    gearing to chase him so I sat in behind Stu from TORC in 3rd knowing I
    could pretty well pass him anywhere in the tight single track and get a
    sufficient gap on him to hold him out on the fire trails.

    Got to the first hill and had to pass Stu as he was too slow. I also
    catch go past the guy who'd gone off front at the start, he couldn't
    climb at all. Down through the descent I'm taking it easy, then after
    the creek crossing someone behind me call track - yeah not likely while
    I'm in the lead. I picked up the pace a little and got a little gap
    through all the little gullies that you went in and out of and opened a
    small gap. Passed a guy on a who was having a very bad day at the back
    of the elite field that was still finishing. Arriving at the bottom of
    the 2nd hill there are two guys right behind me, couldn't see who they
    were & I asked if he was the guy I just passed - no answer, the riding
    was tight & twisty & I couldn't look around to see who it was. There
    was no way I was letting any of the sport guys pass me up the hill so I
    hammered it, got to almost the top & the guy that behind me called on
    your right & I had nothing left so I let him pass to see it was actually
    another Elite rider finishing his last lap after have a mechanical
    earlier. The other sport guys where nowhere in sight!

    I backed off a lot after this, really hurting from that effort. A group
    of about 4 riders eventually caught me just before the final descent.
    The guy that originally was in the lead passed me, no worries I think,
    I'll just stick close to him I'll get him on the climbs. Stay close I
    wish! He was one of the fastest & smoothest on the descents all day! &
    in very short distance he'd opened up a 100m on me (turns out he's a
    local downhiller). I let Stu past after the start/finish (probably a
    mistake as he was just a little to slow in the single track) but passed
    him again on the first hill. I got to within 5 m of the lead guy before
    it turned down hill & he ran away again. Didn't get as close on the
    second hill.

    As I came through the start finish line for the last time my mate told
    me he only had 10 seconds on me. Mmm that's doable I thing=k to myself
    - I grab a full water bottle & head off - 10 seconds my arse! It turned
    out it was closer to a half a minute. I was charging a bit too hard on
    the down hill which cause a little off, and another one at the creek
    crossing. I did sight him again when I was half way up the second climb
    he was already at the top so I had no chance of catching him.

    Very nice to pick up some cash for the 2nd place thanks to Gateshead
    Cycles. Woot! :)

    Some pictures of the other classes here
    http://singlespeed.smugmug.com/gallery/1392938

    Parbs

    Tags:

  2. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > This was the second State round for this year. The plan was to take it
    > easy & keep the leaders in sight, hopefully conserving enough in my legs
    > to storm past on the climbs on the final lap

    <snip>

    > Very nice to pick up some cash for the 2nd place thanks to Gateshead
    > Cycles. Woot! :)

    Good work. Are you taking part in the DW100 next week?

  3. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:14:10 -0700, petulance wrote:

    > Good work. Are you taking part in the DW100 next week?

    I hear a rumour that he's doing the DiWo50. Soft!!!

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam

  4. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    looks fun, dusty.
    is yours an ss?

  5. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    Random Data wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:14:10 -0700, petulance wrote:
    >
    >> Good work. Are you taking part in the DW100 next week?

    > I hear a rumour that he's doing the DiWo50. Soft!!!

    Rumour confirmed. I am not 'core enough to do 2 100km races in 8 days.

    Parbs

  6. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

  7. petulance

    petulance Guest

    Parbs wrote:
    > Random Data wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:14:10 -0700, petulance wrote:
    >>
    >>> Good work. Are you taking part in the DW100 next week?

    >> I hear a rumour that he's doing the DiWo50. Soft!!!
    >>

    > Rumour confirmed. I am not 'core enough to do 2 100km races in 8 days.
    >
    > Parbs

    I have signed up for the half century as well.

    Let's see, I have done the carbo loading and tapering. Too bad I haven't
    done that much riding.

    2 out of 3 ain't bad ...

  8. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Nice single speed. Must be good for hopping over logs, but do you find it difficult steering it or do you just pull back on each one of the ears?