RR: NYC. Chunk. Bianchi. Beer.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Corvus Corvax, May 3, 2003.

  1. few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    Chunk 666:

    http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/

    We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    the Armory:

    http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/

    CC

    Tags:

  2. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    > Chunk 666:
    >
    > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    > the Armory:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    >

    > CC

    Hey! I have the same shoes as Jeanette, can you still find those in NY or are they nonexistent there
    as well? I know they discontinued them a while back but I love mine and they're slowly starting to
    lose tread after a few years. The knobs have ripped off in a few places. Eventually I'll have to get
    new ones but I can't find the Nike's anywhere.

    Nice pics.
    --
    Chris
    ________________

  3. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Corvus Corvax wrote:

    > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    > Chunk 666:
    >
    > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    > the Armory:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    >

    > CC

    yep that bike was tasty... I think you tried about every flavor of Chunk they had there :)

    Jimbo...chunky...(san)

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 3 May 2003 21:19:24 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:

    >few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    >Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    >well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    >Chunk 666:
    >
    >http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    >We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    >the Armory:
    >
    >http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    >

    >CC

    Nice.

    I remember as a kid cutting off forks from beaters and pounding them onto another fork to make
    choppers like that.

    :-]

  5. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Sun, 04 May 2003 11:13:02 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 3 May 2003 21:19:24 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote:
    >

    >>few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    >>Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    >>well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    >>Chunk 666:
    >>
    >>http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >>
    >>We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    >>the Armory:
    >>
    >>http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    >>

    >>CC
    >
    >Nice.
    >
    >I remember as a kid cutting off forks from beaters and pounding them onto another fork to make
    >choppers like that.

    Yep, I used to do that back in the day's b-4 BMX got big (er) Problem was our skills in welding were
    prety lacking. Many a set up were broke right at the joint!!

    Dave (we got better....)

  6. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    > Chunk 666:
    >
    > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    > the Armory:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    >

    > CC

    I was riding one of the medium-tall bikes Thursday when the gooseneck stem snapped on another bike
    across from me. Not pretty, but at least it wasn't one of the tall ones, just a chopper. And there
    was no jelly-flesh attached to make one reminisce of Fagerlin's photos. GAH! All I have to say is,
    Serottas are really, really nice bikes. I mean, like, WAY nice. And if anyone from Serotta reads
    this, I'll be happy to continue singing praises of a bicycle I've never ridden until you feel I
    deserve one for all the advertising. Did I mention the Serottas are SUPER nice? I got lost in the CF
    strands of the Odonata. It was like looking into something so deep it was looking back into me. I
    started feeling guilty about my girlfriend. The freaky manufacturers (Rodeo not included) were
    absent. Last year it was the guy who created some mechanism in the cranks where you could pedal
    forwards or backwards and still apply forward motion force to the back wheel. Not this year. All in
    all, if I learned anything, it's that copious amounts of Brooklyn Pils and plateloads of Clif Bars
    aren't necessarily the best dinner, and that even though the fork is 8 feet long doesn't make it
    stable. /s

  7. [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

    > All in all, if I learned anything, it's that copious amounts of Brooklyn Pils and plateloads of
    > Clif Bars aren't necessarily the best dinner, and that even though the fork is 8 feet long doesn't
    > make it stable.

    Wise words, but I rather think that learning anything is antithetical to the basic idea of a Chunk
    bike. And besides, a couple of beers really help when riding those deranged choppers.

    "Neverending war abroad provides neverending excuses to act retarded in the streets. No, YOU
    calm down."

    CC

  8. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
    > >
    > > All in all, if I learned anything, it's that copious amounts of Brooklyn Pils and plateloads of
    > > Clif Bars aren't necessarily the best dinner, and that even though the fork is 8 feet long
    > > doesn't make it stable.
    >
    > Wise words, but I rather think that learning anything is antithetical to the basic idea of a Chunk
    > bike. And besides, a couple of beers really help when riding those deranged choppers.

    Too bad everyone missed my fall in the test ride area when I tested the tank Kona DH bike with 9"
    travel front and rear, it dove on me when I tried to nose wheelie and spit me like a sunflower seed
    to the ground. I sat there laughing like a jackass for a few minutes. This is what happens when you
    have one too many beers before throwing your leg over a 50 pound bike...

    - CA-G still laughing...

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    > Chunk 666:
    >
    > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    > the Armory:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/

    The Angry Man and I are going to build some custom choppers later ths year.

    JD

  10. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    co[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
    > >
    > > All in all, if I learned anything, it's that copious amounts of Brooklyn Pils and plateloads of
    > > Clif Bars aren't necessarily the best dinner, and that even though the fork is 8 feet long
    > > doesn't make it stable.
    >
    > Wise words, but I rather think that learning anything is antithetical to the basic idea of a Chunk
    > bike. And besides, a couple of beers really help when riding those deranged choppers.
    >
    > "Neverending war abroad provides neverending excuses to act retarded in the streets. No, YOU
    > calm down."
    >
    > CC

    Right on. How long are you in town for? I spent a little time today shopping the internet for steel
    pipes. I know, I know, it goes against the Chunk code that you must use something old, suspect, and
    brittle to increase the chance of being skewered. So sue me. I figured 2 6' lengths of pipe. Grind
    an 60 degree angle at the bottom and drill a hole through the long end and you've got your dropouts.
    Find some dual crown contraption, a wee bitty wheel, and you're ready to break the head tube clear
    off your POS frame. See you at the dentist. /s

  11. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show was
    > Chunk 666:
    >
    > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    >
    > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of
    > the Armory:
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/

    Word.

    I miss my cheapo Stingray knockoff converted to a 7-ft chopper (from 1973.) Here's my recent
    Frankenbike that might be Chunkworthy. It's called Da Bull:

    http://bsanders.net/The_Bull_FWD_recumbent.jpg

    Da Bull is almost impossible to ride and hacked together dangerously from junk parts pulled from
    dumpsters, which might make it Chunk material.

    -Barry

  12. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > few beautiful things saved it from oblivion. First was the ever-welcome presence of the Brooklyn
    > > Brewery. Second was Bianchi Bikes, in particular Sky Yaeger, who is going to fix Carla up with,
    > > well, let's let Carla explain that. (Think "assimilated".) But the real highlight of the show
    > > was Chunk 666:
    > >
    > > http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/
    > >
    > > We got to ride some of their stupendous and nefarious choppers, at least around the floor of the
    > > Armory:
    > >
    > > http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/corvuscorvax/NYCChunk/
    > >

    > Word.
    >
    > I miss my cheapo Stingray knockoff converted to a 7-ft chopper (from 1973.) Here's my recent
    > Frankenbike that might be Chunkworthy. It's called Da Bull:
    >
    > http://bsanders.net/The_Bull_FWD_recumbent.jpg
    >
    > Da Bull is almost impossible to ride and hacked together dangerously from junk parts pulled from
    > dumpsters, which might make it Chunk material.
    >
    > -Barry

    ACK! MY EYES!

    It's a recumbent. Even the Chunk would shun you. Looks a little too stable anyway.

    /s

  13. [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

    > Right on. How long are you in town for?

    We're around for a couple of months yet. There seems to be a plan afoot to revisit the bridge ride
    June-ish. You interested?

    > I figured 2 6' lengths of pipe. Grind an 60 degree angle at the bottom and drill a hole through
    > the long end and you've got your dropouts.

    Sounds thoroughly dangerous and unstable. Excellent. Apparently, there is an enormous bike graveyard
    somewhere in the East Village. Might be worth investigating.

    Somebody should organize a River Road chopperfest. Drive those uptight rangers crazy.

    CC

  14. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Apparently, there
    > is an enormous bike graveyard somewhere in the East Village. Might be worth investigating.
    >
    > Somebody should organize a River Road chopperfest. Drive those uptight rangers crazy.
    >
    > CC

    You mean the public garden with the spires of garbage down around 4th and B? That's a city park,
    pal! I'd be afraid of the graveyard -- afraid that I might dig up my beloved stolen Stumpy, Tomac,
    or one of the many other rigs I've loved and lost.

    Bike chopperfest. Yes. We will instill fear among the upper west side yuppies (excluding you, of
    course). We'll cruise with sneers and bald scorn and playing cards clapping in our spokes. Until we
    get to a hill. Then we will totter and fall and cry clutching our elbows.

    Where do I get one of those cyclist's thongs? Mail-order from San Antonio?

    Are you going to hit any of the movies this week? 'Stars and Watercarriers' is on my list -- Friday
    at 9. If liking Eddy Merckx is GRS, then fix me a malibu, sweetie.

    /s

  15. [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

    > Bike chopperfest. Yes. We will instill fear among the upper west side yuppies (excluding you, of
    > course).

    I suspect it would instill fear in me too...

    > Are you going to hit any of the movies this week? 'Stars and Watercarriers' is on my list --
    > Friday at 9. If liking Eddy Merckx is GRS, then fix me a malibu, sweetie.

    We were planning on "Red Light Go" at 7. You riding in?

    CC

  16. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
    > >
    > > Bike chopperfest. Yes. We will instill fear among the upper west side yuppies (excluding you, of
    > > course).
    >
    > I suspect it would instill fear in me too...
    >
    > > Are you going to hit any of the movies this week? 'Stars and Watercarriers' is on my list --
    > > Friday at 9. If liking Eddy Merckx is GRS, then fix me a malibu, sweetie.
    >
    > We were planning on "Red Light Go" at 7. You riding in?
    >
    > CC

    I'm down. I'll be arriving on my finest fixed steed. /s

  17. [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

    > I'm down. I'll be arriving on my finest fixed steed.

    Things are not looking good on this end at all. Enjoy. We'll probably be making it to "Hardihood"
    on Sunday.

    CC

  18. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected].com...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
    > >
    > > I'm down. I'll be arriving on my finest fixed steed.
    >
    > Things are not looking good on this end at all. Enjoy. We'll probably be making it to "Hardihood"
    > on Sunday.
    >
    > CC

    We have that on DVD if you require a personal copy...its all about les.......nevermind, I won't ruin
    the ending for you...

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  19. "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote [re: "Hardihood"]

    > We have that on DVD if you require a personal copy...its all about les.......nevermind, I won't
    > ruin the ending for you...

    Heh. So what's with the pickles?

    Nicole Hahn was at the screening. Cool flick.

    CC