RR: On a business trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mattb

I'm in Taos this week for a company get-together (we're based in Taos, NM). We had a cookout for
lunch yesterday and then one of my coworkers who lives here and I went on a little ride. We had
someone drop us off at the top of a paved pass that was about six Miles away from the house we were
all hanging out at (it's a bad road to ride with fast traffic and no or little shoulder). After a
fast road descent down the other side of the pass we hopped on a trail that immediately started
climbing up a steep grade. It was covered in rocks and sticks that made it pretty difficult. It was
a granny gear slog up from there, sweat dripping from my nose. Every now and then I'd spin on a rock
or stick and have a really tough time getting started again. We got on a ridge top and the views
were beautiful. A rough descent to a valley floor and we repeat the process. Several times. We saw a
bunch of elk with a few calves in tow. Big thunderstorms chased us all day but never seemed to catch
up. I got poked with a stick that left a 1/4" piece of wood stuck in my bicep for a couple of miles
before I realized that's why it hurt so much and pulled it out (ouch!). My buddy's crank arm kept
loosening it's self and we found he had mashed up a bunch of the splines on his XTR crank somehow.
We cleaned it up and tightened it down and it seemed to hold for the rest of the ride (but boy is
that going to cost him to replace!). Eventually we merged with the South Boundary trail and things
are a bit more buffed out. We have a fun-filled singletrack descent with big banked turns and great
views and then drop out on a road that takes us back to where we were having the cookout. After it
was all done my computer tells me we rode about 31 Miles and climbed 4200'. My coworker is an animal
and kept me chasing him all day. It was good. Back to work...
--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

hi , I have had a pair of rockshox 2000 judy XC forks for several years now (they came with my 2000
trek 6500) and have left them pretty much "as is" , and not adjusted anything , I feel there are a
number of things I should really do , such as the clean and lube them , adjust travel , rebound
preload etc , problem is I've lost the instruction manual and this is the first proper set of forks
i've ever owned , anybody point me at useful articles / guides etc?

thanks

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:M_TTa.259$j%[email protected]... <snip>
> > After it was all done my computer tells me we rode about 31 Miles
and
> > climbed 4200'. My coworker is an animal and kept me chasing him all day.
> It
> > was good. Back to work...
>
> Great RR, but the question remains: is "Rock Penis" still there?!? (It's
a
> geological landmark located between the ski area and town.)
>

Not sure about the "Rock Penis". I asked someone who I thought might know and she hadn't heard of
it, but now wants to find it to make a pilgrimage. I've got someone else I can ask without making
them think I'm more pervy than I really am (that would be just "somewhat pervy"). I'll let you know
if I find any info, get turned in to HR or anything else entertaining. We do have one here in
Gunnison. It's out at Hartman Rocks. A popular climbing route, particularly with the ladies.

>
> Dude MUST be an animal to keep *you* chasing him all day, Bill
>

The dude is FAST. This was only his second mountain ride this summer (he has two small kids). He
rides the road a lot and has incredible natural ability. He seemed to clean everything, spinning
very smoothly in the little ring. For technical stuff, I have trouble staying smooth enough when
spinning and usually opt to mash the middle ring as much as I can take it. It works, but it's hard
to sustain. I may need to practice spinning technical climbs a bit...

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:M_TTa.259$j%[email protected]... <snip>
> > > After it was all done my computer tells me we rode about 31 Miles and climbed 4200'.
> >
> > Great RR, but the question remains: is "Rock Penis" still there?!?
(It's a
> > geological landmark located between the ski area and town.)
> >
>
> Not sure about the "Rock Penis". I asked someone who I thought might know and she hadn't heard of
> it, but now wants to find it to make a pilgrimage.

Well, that was MY name for it (this was back in 1982, moving west from DC). It's visible --
impossible to miss, really -- driving south FROM Taos Ski Area to town. (I have an old photograph
somewhere, but no scanner at moment.)

Locals prolly call it "Conehead" or something :)

Bill

Sorni scribbled :
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:M_TTa.259$j%[email protected]... <snip>
>>>> After it was all done my computer tells me we rode about 31 Miles and climbed 4200'.
>>>
>>> Great RR, but the question remains: is "Rock Penis" still there?!? (It's a geological landmark
>>> located between the ski area and town.)
>>>
>>
>> Not sure about the "Rock Penis". I asked someone who I thought might know and she hadn't heard of
>> it, but now wants to find it to make a pilgrimage.
>
>
> Well, that was MY

there is more than one, you know. There's the "valley of the dicks" on the Bruneau river, and I have
a 3 or 4 page Word document with all sorts of, um, er, "natural features" photos in it.

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorni scribbled :
> > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:M_TTa.259$j%[email protected]...

> >>> Great RR, but the question remains: is "Rock Penis" still there?!? (It's a geological landmark
> >>> located between the ski area and town.)
> >>>
> >>
> >> Not sure about the "Rock Penis". I asked someone who I thought might know and she hadn't heard
> >> of it, but now wants to find it to make a pilgrimage.
> >

> there is more than one, you know. There's the "valley of the dicks" on
the
> Bruneau river, and I have a 3 or 4 page Word document with all sorts of,
um,
> er, "natural features" photos in it.

Pervette.

Admiring Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.