RR out my back door

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 11, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Hubby proposed the tower loop. Now I've done a lot of up and backs, been out to the Rocks of Sharon
    once, but that was years ago when I bonked on the ride and had a general bad time.

    This is out my back door, we live right below a ridge that has lots of trails and old jeep roads all
    over the place, radio tower and a large satellite installation. It's the first really warm day we've
    had, and I was pulling juniper stumps all morning so yes, need to play for a bit. The usual suspects
    are my, DH ( dear hubby) Kamikaze #2 and Carl the ti-man.... ( hip replacement due to climbing fall
    a few years ago) The first three miles are just a dirt road climb, but at least it's been bladed
    recently. About 1200' of climbing, hit the single track at the top, then through the logged area
    where a road was put it, then back onto a nice wide dirt track up some more over to the Rocks of
    Sharon. It's a beautiful, the greens are very intense, flowers are blooming and we get some great
    views. We stop at the Rocks for a while and enjoy the view over the Palouse. Then it's along the
    crest of the ridge for a while, and then DOWN... Here's where the trail gets wild. Originally a dirt
    bike track, now it's just a deep gully with a narrow track on either side. At one point there's a
    creek running down middle. Sketchy to say the least if you don't keep your line. I manage to loose
    the line as the trail portion turns into a trail surface of about a 30 degree slope, 12" wide and
    slide into the ankle deep water right in front of some guys pushing pig rigs up the trail. But
    everyone's laughing including me, we decide I get bonus chick points for that one.

    Then the trail mellows into a long run with other creek crossings. There are hikers, a dirt bike and
    ATV, and then a mountain biker(?) with no helmet, flip-flops and an FSR. Some suburban gal out for a
    fitness ride I guess. Almost at the trail head for the other side, we turn off for the return. More
    jeep road climbing. At one point we turn onto a nice piece of singletrack that gently traverses the
    ridge at a gentle grade. Then more jeep road climbing... this is beginning to feel like all up. At
    9.5 miles I'm really wishing I had a few more gears to shift down to, and at the last push for the
    top we're all walking.

    Then, downhill all the way home...both on some single track that's one way and on the bladed road.
    12.5 miles, 2927 feet of elevation gain... we are all beat. Dang those steaks tasted good
    last night.

    we did some GPSing too.

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/rxsharonmap.jpg map.
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/rxsharonmap.jpg elevation profile

    These were all taken looking south over the Palouse (wheat growing region) form the top.
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/palouseview.jpg
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/prxsharon.jpg

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/rxsharon2.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/pview2.jpg

    all links have been tested. ;-)

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    These are trails out of "your" backyard"? Wow!

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

> [...]
    > singletrack that gently traverses the ridge at a gentle grade. Then more jeep road climbing...
    > this is beginning to feel like all up. At 9.5 miles I'm really wishing I had a few more gears to
    > shift down to, and at the
    last
    > push for the top we're all walking.
    >
    > Then, downhill all the way home...both on some single track that's one way and on the bladed road.
    > 12.5 miles, 2927 feet of elevation gain... we are all beat. Dang those steaks tasted good last
    > night.
    >
    > we did some GPSing too.
    >

    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/rxsharonmap.jpg map.
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/rxsharonmap.jpg elevation profile
    >
    > These were all taken looking south over the Palouse (wheat growing region) form the top.

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    James Messick wrote:
    > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> These are trails out of "your" backyard"? Wow!
    >
    > Ditto, makes me feel like I'm planted in the wrong place.

    actually they are 1/2 mile down the pavement then two miles up the dirt road...

    penny

  5. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 08:34:49 -0700, Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This is out my back door, we live right below a ridge that has lots of

    Nice ride Penny!

    Thx for the GPS data too. I love to see the El profile and maps of a ride. Since I've been keeping
    some GPS data myself and am getting familiar with what profile = what kind of work, seeing the maps
    is the next best thing to actually taking the ride myself! :)

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 12 May 2003 00:08:22 GMT, Stephen Baker wrote:
    > James Messick says:
    >
    >>Ditto, makes me feel like I'm planted in the wrong place.
    >
    > That's what I thought until I looked at the profile. Glad I live on a nice flat island now. ;-)

    Yeah, that's the problem with having climbs right near the house; the temptation to keep climbing
    them. I can see mine right out the front window.

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Gman wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 May 2003 08:34:49 -0700, Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> This is out my back door, we live right below a ridge that has lots of
    >
    > Nice ride Penny!
    >
    > Thx for the GPS data too. I love to see the El profile and maps of a ride. Since I've been keeping
    > some GPS data myself and am getting familiar with what profile = what kind of work, seeing the
    > maps is the next best thing to actually taking the ride myself! :)

    for us we're trying to see how various area's trails all link up... sometime you'll have three
    people that know three different routes, so we ride them all and see how they connect up...

    penny

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 12 May 2003 00:08:22 GMT, Stephen Baker wrote:
    > > James Messick says:
    > >
    > >>Ditto, makes me feel like I'm planted in the wrong place.
    > >
    > > That's what I thought until I looked at the profile. Glad I live on a
    nice
    > > flat island now. ;-)
    >
    > Yeah, that's the problem with having climbs right near the house; the temptation to keep climbing
    > them. I can see mine right out the front window.

    Yeah, I have the same "problem". I just try to work through it when I can.

    Penny that's looks like a nice one. That's pretty big vertical for such a short distance. I have a
    ~3000' loop out my back door too, but it's 20 Miles and doesn't seem all that flat.

    ...and JD - if you loop Old Monarch and Agate with me sometime it's about 6500' (actually that's
    what it is weather you join me or not). I like my gears on that ride but my buds will SS it. Maybe I
    will sometime too.

    > --
    > -BB-

    Matt

  11. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Gman wrote:
    > > On Sun, 11 May 2003 08:34:49 -0700, Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> This is out my back door, we live right below a ridge that has lots of
    > >
    > > Nice ride Penny!
    > >
    > > Thx for the GPS data too. I love to see the El profile and maps of a ride. Since I've been
    > > keeping some GPS data myself and am getting familiar with what profile = what kind of work,
    > > seeing the maps is the next best thing to actually taking the ride myself! :)

    > for us we're trying to see how various area's trails all link up... sometime you'll have three
    > people that know three different routes, so we ride them all and see how they connect up...
    >
    > penny

    Very Nice! Glad you have the techno wherewithal to share the pics, etc. Reminds me of Schaeffer
    Butte just a tad south of you...

    Paladin