RR: Palleranda, Townsville, North Qld, Aus

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trevor S, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Trevor S

    Trevor S Guest

    We decided to ute the bikes down to Rose Bay and do a ride along the edge of the Pacific Ocean,
    towards Cape Paleranda. There is a concrete bike path along the forshore, making for a spectacular
    morning ride, with the early morning sun low on the horizon.

    For those not in the know:

    http://townsville.citysearch.com.au/feature/148/

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1302.jpg

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1305.jpg

    This part of the ride, while only 5km's allows you to stetch your legs to warm up and to enjoy the
    view. We were taking it easy as young Mitchell (my riding partners son was with us, he was on
    school holidays)

    The bikepath follows the ocean, then an offroad track winds it's way through the National Park,

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1308.jpg

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1311.jpg

    with side diversions to the World War II cannon emplacements forts, long since abandonded. These
    forts were put in place to repel any attempted invasion by the Japenese in WWII.

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1318.jpg

    http://home.st.net.au/~pdunn/[email protected]

    One part of the ride neccesitates riding along the beach for some 500m to bypass a rocky outcrop,
    even though the sand was hard (in places), this still took a lot more out of me then I expected.

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1313.jpg

    http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1315.jpg

    The track circles back, an d comes out in the carpark of the National Park. We continued on back
    down the cycle path for the 5km back to Rose Bay.

    Only a small ride, all up about 20km or so but very scenic.

    That beach riding is for those a little fitter then me !

    Trevor S

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Trevor S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We decided to ute the bikes down to Rose Bay and do a ride along the edge of the Pacific Ocean,
    > towards Cape Paleranda. There is a concrete bike path along the forshore, making for a spectacular
    > morning ride, with the early morning sun low on the horizon.
    >
    > For those not in the know:
    >
    > http://townsville.citysearch.com.au/feature/148/
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1302.jpg
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1305.jpg
    >
    > This part of the ride, while only 5km's allows you to stetch your legs to warm up and to enjoy the
    > view. We were taking it easy as young Mitchell (my riding partners son was with us, he was on
    > school holidays)
    >
    > The bikepath follows the ocean, then an offroad track winds it's way through the National Park,
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1308.jpg
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1311.jpg
    >
    > with side diversions to the World War II cannon emplacements forts, long since abandonded. These
    > forts were put in place to repel any attempted invasion by the Japenese in WWII.
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1318.jpg
    >
    > http://home.st.net.au/~pdunn/[email protected]
    >
    > One part of the ride neccesitates riding along the beach for some 500m to bypass a rocky outcrop,
    > even though the sand was hard (in places), this still took a lot more out of me then I expected.
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1313.jpg
    >
    > http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1315.jpg
    >
    > The track circles back, an d comes out in the carpark of the National Park. We continued on back
    > down the cycle path for the 5km back to Rose Bay.
    >
    > Only a small ride, all up about 20km or so but very scenic.
    >
    > That beach riding is for those a little fitter then me !
    >
    > Trevor S

    Oh http://tgs7.d2.net.au/pal_apr03/dscn1315.jpg you poor bastard!

    Nice pix!
    --