RR: Pentland Skyline

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tim Downie, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Full results and photos at:
    http://www.carnethy.com/ri_results/skyline/skyl_2004.htm

    For those who don't know the Pentland hills, (see http://tinyurl.com/6us4u)
    they're a collection of hillocks south of Edinburgh. They may not be great
    in stature but if you join enough of them together, you can put together a
    16 mile 6,200 ft run. Fortunately, as well as having 6,200 ft of ascent,
    there's also 6,200 feet of descent so it all averages out. ;-) You can see
    that appoximate route at
    http://www.zen31010.zen.co.uk/images/Pentlandskyline2004/pentlandsroute.jpg

    We were lucky with the weather and the clouds had lifted off the tops before
    the start and no serious navigational skills were required although having
    run it now, I can see how it could be much much trickier in the mist.

    The race kicked off from the Hillend artificial ski slope centre and after
    the usual "chest out, mad sprint for the first 100yds", all the
    photographers have been passed we were able to slow to a more sensible pace
    (i.e. walking). Up to the first peak the path is too narrow to really
    enable any overtaking and besides, the thought of the 16 miles ahead helped
    to temper any thoughts of rushing for an early lead (as if!)

    The paths were clear and pretty good for the most part. Grass, mud and rock
    for the first 2/3rds of the race but nothing too tricky. With ever ascent
    and descent, you questioned your sanity but with every peak "bagged", the
    views more than compensated. I took a camera and managed to take a few
    photos (which I'll post later) but the photos on the results page really do
    give a good "feel" of the race. (the one second from the left, second row
    captures a goodly number of the hills we ran over).

    The good paths early in the race lulled me into a rather false sense of
    security and 2/3rds of the way round, we came to the top of Hare hill only
    to find that the only way off was by bounding through knee-high heather
    followed by some percipitous scrambling down tricky slopes. As ever, every
    descent was followed almost immediately by yet another crippling knee
    knobbling ascent that made your calves scream. Frotunately, selective
    amnesia is a wonderful thing and no sooner had you felt like chucking the
    whole thing in, you'd be at another top enjoying a few seconds of easy
    running before you remembered that running downhill was almost as bad.

    After a mile or so, it's back onto better paths and after another string of
    ups and downs and ups and downs, you reach the last summit and see the
    finish line below you. After a mad dash down the hill trying oh-so-hard
    *not* to do a spectacular face-plant in front of the waiting crowds, I
    crossed the finish line in 3:40:38, which works out at a spectacular pace of
    13:47 per mile!

    Despite that, I felt good at the end, happy and muddy and not feeling like I
    could realistically pushed much harder (and enjoyed myself). Overall I was
    119 out of 169 which is better than my 31st out of 35 on the Merrick last
    month.

    At only £3 to enter and (nearly) all the water you can drink at the end,
    great value for money. Highly recommended.

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Another trail run Tim. Thanks for the report and the great photos.

    So - any thoughts of running regular races/ marathons - or is it
    only trails and ultras from here on.

    Anthony.

  3. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Another trail run Tim. Thanks for the report and the great photos.

    Glad you enjoyed them. The photographs are nice mementos for me to have
    after these races and if anyone else enjoys them it's a bonus.

    > So - any thoughts of running regular races/ marathons - or is it
    > only trails and ultras from here on.

    Just what ever takes my fancy really. Over the winter there will be the odd
    cross country race and if there are any good hill races I'll have a crack at
    them. I do need some more 10k & 1/2M experience though, so I might look out
    for something before the end of the year.

    I've applied for the London marathon, more so that I can say I've done
    London than any great burning desire, and I've a recurring dream/nightmare
    about running the West Highland Way next June. (95 mile trail race).

    In general though, I am finding that I'm drifting away from road racing.
    Trail and hill racing is just so much more fun.

    Cheers.

    Tim

  4. << Another trail run Tim. Thanks for the report and the great photos.

    So - any thoughts of running regular races/ marathons - or is it
    only trails and ultras from here on.

    Anthony. >>

    Huh?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  5. << > Another trail run Tim. Thanks for the report and the great photos.

    Glad you enjoyed them. The photographs are nice mementos for me to have
    after these races and if anyone else enjoys them it's a bonus. >>

    Photos? Where?
    I can't see
    Clearly...
    What's next?

    << Just what ever takes my fancy really. Over the winter there will be the odd
    cross country race and if there are any good hill races I'll have a crack at
    them. >>

    Did I crack the code?
    Read the Book,
    My DNA code?
    Now what,
    Got nowhere
    To go...

    << In general though, I am finding that I'm drifting away >>

    Me too.
    Who's you?

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  6. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Tim Downie wrote:
    > Full results and photos at:
    > http://www.carnethy.com/ri_results/skyline/skyl_2004.htm
    >
    > For those who don't know the Pentland hills, (see http://tinyurl.com/6us4u)
    > they're a collection of hillocks south of Edinburgh. They may not be great
    > in stature but if you join enough of them together, you can put together a
    > 16 mile 6,200 ft run.

    Nice race and pictures, Tim. Thanks. You seem to have become thoroughly
    hooked on these things.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  7. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "Dot" <[email protected]#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tim Downie wrote:
    >> Full results and photos at:
    >> http://www.carnethy.com/ri_results/skyline/skyl_2004.htm
    >>
    >> For those who don't know the Pentland hills, (see
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6us4u)
    >> they're a collection of hillocks south of Edinburgh. They may not be
    >> great
    >> in stature but if you join enough of them together, you can put
    >> together a
    >> 16 mile 6,200 ft run.

    > Nice race and pictures, Tim. Thanks. You seem to have become
    > thoroughly hooked on these things.

    That Tim is one crazy SOB. :) There is a recurring metamorphosis for
    those that discover trails - roads racing and many of it's trappings
    become unfulfilling. Like getting hooked on life. I can't think of
    anyone more hooked then you Dot, living, working, and
    running/hiking/biking/walking exhaling in outdoors of Alaska. What, no
    dog sled. :)

    -DougF

  8. << There is a recurring metamorphosis for
    those that discover trails - roads racing and many of it's trappings
    become unfulfilling. Like getting hooked on life. I can't think of
    anyone more hooked then you Dot, living, working, and
    running/hiking/biking/walking exhaling in outdoors of Alaska. What, no
    dog sled. :)

    -DougF >>

    Dot's the best!
    I'll get you a sled for Cmas!
    Get dog, too.

    _______
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  9. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Doug Freese wrote:
    > "Dot" <[email protected]#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    I can't think of
    > anyone more hooked then you Dot, living, working, and
    > running/hiking/biking/walking exhaling in outdoors of Alaska. What, no
    > dog sled. :)

    That would limit single tracks and twisty trails that I could do ;) Not
    to mention that's a *lot* of work. I love dogs and don't have one, but
    I'm not ready to be married to a dog kennel. Depending upon how race
    schedule ends up next year, I may borrow a friend's dog for next year's
    Dog Dash. One of the volunteers' dogs almost came with me on my recovery
    run this year until she called him back ;) He just saw somebody running
    and decided to follow.

    Dot