RR: Point Mugu State Park

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Steve Petree, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Steve Petree

    Steve Petree Guest

    June 1st, 2003, Feeling pretty good, so I decided that I would go further than I usually do, on a
    weekend, also, I couldn't get out yesterday.

    The weather was socked in, morning fog, in our coastal area. I thought it would burn off by
    mid-morning. It was cool, but not cold. I grabbed my sweatshirt, and a sleeveless shell.

    I parked in the lot, & dragged out the bike, and took off. I decided to go all the way to the beach,
    straight down Sycamore Canyon.

    I kept the sweatshirt on, as I knew there would be a fast hill coming up, which would be cool,
    (not kewl).

    I took off from the parking lot, and hit the axis road that runs through the National Park, on the
    way to the State Park, (Rancho Sierra Vista/Satwiwa to Point Mugu). That time of the morning, and
    also because of the overcast, there weren't too many people on the road, so I had an easy time
    getting to the top of the canyon.

    I started down the hill, putting my bandana around my mouth, (this is to keep the bugs out of the
    mouth). I always take it easy, and slow, going down the hill, (I've crashed on this hill, and am
    always leery).

    I buzz through the bridge, as there is a wild bee hive under the bridge, which get upset every time
    someone goes over the bridge. (I don't know if they're africanized, but I don't want to find out the
    hard way).

    From here on down, it's an easy coast, through a lush canopy of sycamore, and oak, trees, past
    a former horse ranch. Since the road is paved all the way to Danielson Ranch, it doesn't take
    much time.

    Once past the ranch house, I hit the dirt part of the fire road down. It crosses the creek an number
    of times, but there isn't any water, anywhere. The road is hard packed, in most places, and rutted
    in a few others, but easily passible.

    I keep going straight, down to the rest area, just two, or so, miles up from the beach, and
    stop to use the facilities, and to try to decide if I should press on to the beach or wimp out
    & turn around.

    On the off chance there may be dolphins playing in the surf, I decide to continue down to the beach,
    just to see what's going on. Nope, I didn't see any dolphins.

    After hanging out at the beach, for just ten minutes or so, long enough to take off the sweatshirt,
    and put on a sleeveless shell, I head back up Sycamore Canyon.

    I take it easy, husbanding my energy for the climb at the end. I stop at the multi-use area, just
    north of the ranch house, to remove my sleeveless shell, to cool off a little, and scarf down my Fig
    Newton, to re-fuel for the tortuous climb back up to the parking lot.

    After cooling off, and re-hydrated, I moved on up the canyon. One of the greatest things about late
    spring in this canyon is the aroma of all the flowers, and lush vegetation. I've been known to stop,
    and just smell the manzanita, (watch out for the poison ivy!).

    I rest, briefly, just shy of the bridge, to catch my breath, and to drink as much water as I can,
    before the more serious climb.

    I'd like to brag that I cleaned this hill, but that wouldn't be quite true. In fact, I had to jump
    off just when it was getting steep, as I couldn't keep my speed up. I'll also blame my back, which,
    due to fatigue, was tightening up, and walking takes the tension out of it. (what a wimp!)

    After ten minutes of walking, I felt silly with all the bikers passing me by, and decided to hop
    back on the bike. (of course, the steepest part of the hill was behind me).

    I topped the hill, and whiffed in relief, I knew it was an easy coast back to the car.

    By this time my legs were like rubber, thank goodness it was close to lunchtime, and I had nothing
    on the schedule for the afternoon, so I could take a nap. (It's kinda funny that when you reach a
    certain age, it's desirable to take afternoon naps again.)

    Another ride on the books!

    Tags:

  2. "Steve Petree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > before the more serious climb.
    >
    > I'd like to brag that I cleaned this hill, but that wouldn't be quite true. In fact, I had to jump
    > off just when it was getting steep, as I couldn't keep my speed up. I'll also blame my back,
    > which, due to fatigue, was tightening up, and walking takes the tension out of it. (what a wimp!)
    >
    > After ten minutes of walking, I felt silly with all the bikers passing me by, and decided to hop
    > back on the bike. (of course, the steepest part of the hill was behind me).
    >
    > I topped the hill, and whiffed in relief, I knew it was an easy coast back to the car.
    >
    > By this time my legs were like rubber, thank goodness it was close to lunchtime, and I had nothing
    > on the schedule for the afternoon, so I could take a nap. (It's kinda funny that when you reach a
    > certain age, it's desirable to take afternoon naps again.)

    Sounds like a great area. Soon that ride will be easy and you will look to expand again.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message

    just put us back where you found us when you're finished.
    > ;-)
    >
    > Steve

    Why would you want that?

    Shaun aRe

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun R says:
    >
    > >Why would you want that?
    >
    > So when I cross one of the bridges to get off this [email protected]#$%^ed island, I'll
    know
    > where the fsck I am.

    Where TF is your sense of adventure owd geezer?

    > Simple ;-)

    Sounds like a confession, heheheheh.......

    > Steve

    Shaun aRe reminded of The Faraway Tree.