RR: Poseurama

Cowboy hat, Carharts, and some bumps. I know a guy that can just shred. He does it to show off the
million dollar yuppies that they aint sheet when it comes to pure skill. He can do it boarding,
tele, or just good ol downhill. That is style.

TJ

> TDWFL wrote:
> >> [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote: >As long as they are out on the trail and having
> >> fun who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did. If
> >> they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit. If the
> >> latter, then you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also, all
> >> these "poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for
> >> everyone getting into this hobby/habit. How can you loose?
> >
> > Reply #1 This is all too logical. It'll never fly! Why think about how much fun you are having
> > when you can make it into a negative experience by making fun of other people? That makes more
> > sense!
> >
> > <sarcasm off>
>
> but that's no fun.. no different than me poking fun at the guys skiing in their Carharts, camo
> gear or ancient neon. That or their Bogner, at my
home
> hill....
>
> penny

>> Also, all these "poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to
decrease > the overall cost for everyone getting into this hobby/habit.

>No thanks. The recent influx of clueless dorks who watch a mt dew commercial and immediately think
>they are exreem can take up bmx instead

Oi! Actually, let them have a go, I'll bring me camera.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Take it easy on JD, he might be a tad indelicate at times but you know
> he's
> > right. How many times have you seen a mtb rider out in the matching
> jersey,
> > spandex bottoms and shoes...all colour coordinated to the rig they
bought
> > for 4 grand??
>
> Personally, I can enjoy a ride without concern or criticism of another rider's equipment or skill
> levels. It's unfortunate others have to
attempt
> to demonstrate their prowess via belittling others. The arrogance touted
by
> the likes of JD simply demonstrates underlying feelings of inadequacy - at least to those of us
> who can see through it.
>
> The mature mountainbiker shares knowledge, the occasional allen wrench or patch kit and remembers
> their roots. We all started off less than perfect riders, and it's helpful to all when someone
> more experienced comes along _without an attitude_ and helps us learn such non obvious things as
> why we need to stay on the trail or avoid riding when it's too muddy, and why we should become
> active in trail maintenance and special interests.

One point to JD though. Here in the east riding off trail doesn't cause the permanent damage that
riding off trail in the desert does. Once the 'crust' is busted no amount of trail maintenance can
fix it. http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/cyano.htm That kind of damage will get users kicked
off trails quickly. Here we can just rake some leaves and sticks over the ride around and it will be
gone in no time.

Mike

> One point to JD though. Here in the east riding off trail doesn't cause
the
> permanent damage that riding off trail in the desert does. Once the
'crust'
> is busted no amount of trail maintenance can fix it.
> http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/cyano.htm That kind of damage will get users kicked off
> trails quickly. Here we can just rake some leaves
and
> sticks over the ride around and it will be gone in no time.

That's why in highly fragile areas such as the desert it takes extra tact and patience to educate
those who may not realize the damage they're causing. Something about flies and honey...

TJ wrote:
> Cowboy hat, Carharts, and some bumps. I know a guy that can just shred. He does it to show off the
> million dollar yuppies that they aint sheet when it comes to pure skill. He can do it boarding,
> tele, or just good ol downhill. That is style.
>
> TJ

I do'nt know where you are but arond here they just show up like that because theur names are Bubba
and Billy Bob and that's how they are. They ski like geeks too, but yes it's ok they are entitles to
have their fun. (just dont' be under the chair lift when they spit a wad from chew)

>>> Reply #1 This is all too logical. It'll never fly! Why think about how much fun you are having
>>> when you can make it into a negative experience by making fun of other people? That makes more
>>> sense!
>>>
>>> <sarcasm off>
>>
>> but that's no fun.. no different than me poking fun at the guys skiing in their Carharts, camo
>> gear or ancient neon. That or their Bogner, at my home hill....
>>
>> penny

I know what you mean. I grew up in Ellensburg. Now that I am in Colorado. Carharts are the
thing to wear.

TJ

TJ wrote:
> I know what you mean. I grew up in Ellensburg. Now that I am in Colorado. Carharts are the thing
> to wear.
>
> TJ

you do have to tweak those Texans....

penny

> One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
> can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
> and bringing the singlespeed.
>
> Poseur #1:
>
> Riding some xc RM thing. Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was already
> yielding. He sure had a cool jersey though (not).
>
> Poseur #2:
>
> Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right
> side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on. Didn't
> notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.
>
> Poseurs #3:
>
> Walking their POS gt idontdrives up an easy grade that amost any beginner can climb. They sure had
> all of the right gear though, pretty gt jerseys and all. They didn't bother returning my greeting
> as the others had. That brought out a laugh.
>
> Posuers #4:
>
> I saw them departing from their vehicle as I was heading out on another trail that is more than
> twice as long as the one they were heading up. After riding out and back, I decided to hit the
> beginner loop they were on for a quick 5 mile finish. After stopping for a 15 minute trail
> maintenance issue, I passed them at the apex of the loop. They were already pulled off the trail,
> gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A quick estimation of total cost for gear for
> these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When
> I was exiting, they had just gotten to their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail
> was as I passed. What a friggin joke.
>
> It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
> the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
> Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
>
> JD sticking to unpublished

Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.

Marty

Martees wrote:
> Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.

Stickers!?!?!??!

John G wrote:

> Martees wrote:
>
>> Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.
>

> Stickers!?!?!??!

Its ok john, everything is going to be just fine, i promise ;) Now go get a paper bag and
breathe deeply...

Jon Bond

[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Poseur #2:
> >
> > Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right
> > side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on.
> > Didn't notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.
>
> That was me 18 months ago... it was enough just to keep the bike vertical, having someone pop out
> in front of me head on would have scared the **** out of me. Some of us aren't gifted with natural
> balance. Things are much different now, but I remember when I sucked (Some would say I still suck,
> but I suck less now).
>
> > They were already pulled off the trail, gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A
> > quick estimation of total cost for gear for these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done
> > better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When I was exiting, they had just gotten to
> > their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail was as I passed. What a friggin joke.
>
> I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with a couple of guys who spent too much money on
> gear. If they only use the gear once then at least they are supporting the industry, subsidizing
> tight wads like
> me. It wasn't too long ago that I was huffing half way through a 5 mile ride and begging for a
> break. You need to start somewhere.
>
> > It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is
> > in the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama
> > that Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
>
> Are you suggesting that perhaps there should be someone to police who goes on trails based on
> their abilities, wardrobe, or a combination (Beginners can only ride $750 bikes and must not
> wear name brand jerseys). Maybe you can recruit our local usenet kook (MV) to police the trails
> for you.
>
> -- The Ogre (Usually prefers the understated look as well) http://ogrehut.com

I find humor in many things, especially tools who have gear they can't handle. That's like a redneck
going out on their new large displacement atv and rolling it when trying to go up an adobe ridge. I
don't find humor in morons who don't take the time to learn the rules of a sport they decide to
participate in, esecially when those rules are so readily available. Anyone with a clue takes the
time to know the rules before they begin.

JD

"Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.

Now that's a poseurama! It's akin to a beater car that makes you wonder if all of those stickers are
really holding it together along with a POS trek hanging off of the ancient trunk rack that adorns
the backside of that particular boil.

JD

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<FIb9a.359433$be.332713@rwcrnsc53>...
> > Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> > cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> > could have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see things
> > differently - read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they
> > look like walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they are out on
> > the trail and having fun who cares?
>

> Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it happens
> all the time. It's best to just ignore him.

Heed your own advice, hardlow.

JD

> [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
Hi JD,

> > Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> > cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> > could have easily gone out and buy what they had.
>
> What the hell were you doing on concrete cycle paths? Are you some kinda roadie?

Most of my riding used to be commuting and general riding on a beat up tourer. Mountain biking-wise,
I've only been on a couple of trails with my friends a few years ago. Yes, we stayed on the trail at
all times. No, we neither didn't anyone to say hello to or to belittle.

[snip]

> > (Bad attitude is different though.)
>
> I thought that I mentioned that in none of the encounters. He could have at least grunted.

No, I don't believe he was obligated to return your greetings, although it would have been good
manner to do so and the expected norm. It also seems to have hurt your ego that he did not
acknowledge your salutations and presence. Just because you do things one way, do not always assume
that others will react in the same way.

> > As long as they are out on the trail and having fun who cares?
>
> Did you snip my rant and not read it at all, or do you lack reading comprehension? They were not
> ON the trail in every case and I care about the desert. Your lack of care is part of the
> problem. "Hey, have fun riding that adobe ridge, I don't care if mountain bikers get shut out of
> this area".

In your original post: "Poseur #1...Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was
already yielding." and "Poseur #4...They were already pulled off the trail, gasping from the small
grade they had just climbed." Since you like to assume things, how about if we assume differently?
Why not the former tried to avoid a possible collision at a distance HE thought appropriate to is
skill level and the latter group stopped for a breather and not be in the way of other rider(s)?

> > You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did.
>
> What a revelation. Then again it appears your idea of fun means anything goes, including
> off-trail riding.

Sorry, your assumptions are way off.

> > If they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time > or quit.
>
> If they ae new to mountain biking, they need to learn the rules of the trail. It's a crime when
> those rules are posted on the kiosk at the trailhead, oh so plainly.

[snip]

It's that idiot element that is screwing up access for
> legitimate mountain bikers.

OK, fair point on your worries about environmental damage and fear of trail privileges being
removed. However, I would have been much more respectful of you if you said that you stopped and
brought to their attention what they were doing was wrong. Here, I don't mean being abusive or
threatening to get them back on trail. Instead you're here, raving. Why not educated somebody so
that they will do the right thing next time? You can then brag about it here instead of whingeing.

> > How can you loose?
>
> Turn the wrench to the left.

My, you are quick to put others down. OK, I concede to your superior spelling prowess and manual
dexterity. However, what if it was the left pedal I was trying to take off? Ever thought about that?
There you go again. Assuming.

> JD

AM

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cowboy hat, Carharts, and some bumps. I know a guy that can just shred. He does it to show off the
> million dollar yuppies that they aint sheet when it comes to pure skill. He can do it boarding,
> tele, or just good ol downhill. That is style.

Hence the Three Stooges tshirt, rigid singlespeed and toeclips.

JD

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Take it easy on JD, he might be a tad indelicate at times but you know
> he's
> > right. How many times have you seen a mtb rider out in the matching
> jersey,
> > spandex bottoms and shoes...all colour coordinated to the rig they bought for 4 grand??
>
> Personally, I can enjoy a ride without concern or criticism of another rider's equipment or skill
> levels. It's unfortunate others have to attempt to demonstrate their prowess via belittling
> others. The arrogance touted by the likes of JD simply demonstrates underlying feelings of
> inadequacy - at least to those of us who can see through it.

Thank you Sigmund Fraud. Go analyze yourself now.

> The mature mountainbiker shares knowledge, the occasional allen wrench or patch kit and remembers
> their roots. We all started off less than perfect riders, and it's helpful to all when someone
> more experienced comes along _without an attitude_ and helps us learn such non obvious things as
> why we need to stay on the trail or avoid riding when it's too muddy, and why we should become
> active in trail maintenance and special interests.

Like I said, when the information is posted on a huge kiosk at the trailhead, there is no excuse.
Read Pete Jones' "litter" thread. I think Mike has something to call you.

JD

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > One point to JD though. Here in the east riding off trail doesn't cause
> the
> > permanent damage that riding off trail in the desert does. Once the
> 'crust'
> > is busted no amount of trail maintenance can fix it.
> > http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/cyano.htm That kind of damage will get users kicked off
> > trails quickly. Here we can just rake some leaves
> and
> > sticks over the ride around and it will be gone in no time.
>
> That's why in highly fragile areas such as the desert it takes extra tact and patience to educate
> those who may not realize the damage they're causing. Something about flies and honey...

That's why in highly fragile areas such as the desert have information posted at trailheads about
the environment and how to behave in those environments. You've never been out here, have you
hardlow? Keep pissing up that rope, you're only going to get urine on your hands.

JD

I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?

> > JD sticking to unpublished
>
> Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.
>
> Marty

[email protected] (JD) wrote in message

> > > Poseur #2:
> > >
> > > Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the
> > > right side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head
> > > on. Didn't notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.
> >
> > That was me 18 months ago... it was enough just to keep the bike vertical, having someone pop
> > out in front of me head on would have scared the **** out of me. Some of us aren't gifted with
> > natural balance. Things are much different now, but I remember when I sucked (Some would say I
> > still suck, but I suck less now).
> >
> > > They were already pulled off the trail, gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A
> > > quick estimation of total cost for gear for these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done
> > > better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When I was exiting, they had just gotten to
> > > their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail was as I passed. What a friggin
> > > joke.
> >
> > I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with a couple of guys who spent too much money on
> > gear. If they only use the gear once then at least they are supporting the industry, subsidizing
> > tight wads like
> > me. It wasn't too long ago that I was huffing half way through a 5 mile ride and begging for a
> > break. You need to start somewhere.
> >
> > > It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is
> > > in the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the
> > > poseurama that Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
> >
> > Are you suggesting that perhaps there should be someone to police who goes on trails based on
> > their abilities, wardrobe, or a combination (Beginners can only ride $750 bikes and must not
> > wear name brand jerseys). Maybe you can recruit our local usenet kook (MV) to police the trails
> > for you.
> >
> > -- The Ogre (Usually prefers the understated look as well) http://ogrehut.com
>
> I find humor in many things, especially tools who have gear they can't handle. That's like a
> redneck going out on their new large displacement atv and rolling it when trying to go up an adobe
> ridge. I don't find humor in morons who don't take the time to learn the rules of a sport they
> decide to participate in, esecially when those rules are so readily available. Anyone with a clue
> takes the time to know the rules before they begin.
>
> JD

I can understand being upset about people trashing trails or as you said ignoring rules that are
common knowledge. But seems like you were just poking fun at a couple of newbies because they spent
more money than you on gear.

Don't mind me, I'm a geek by nature and I just don't care for elitism in any form.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Martees wrote:
> > Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.
>

> Stickers!?!?!??!

Don't panic John.... the only sticker on my Marin is a small Eagle Globe and Anchor on the
seat tube.

Some habits die hard.

Marty