RR: Poseurama

"Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
>

> > > JD sticking to unpublished
> >
> > Along these lines, it makes me gag when I see stickers on bikes with no matching components.
> >
> > Marty

We all judge or assess each other. It's human nature. To me first impressions are the ones that are
the hardest the un-do. I can't stand when someone pretends to be something they aren't. The sticker
thing, while subtle, is an indicator to me of a personality trait. Could it be that the component
was removed and they just liked the sticker? Sure but that's not my first impression. After a few
minutes of conversation I can usually figure out whether or not the first impression was correct.

You act like I stop and stew over this stuff. It's more of a passing thought and not something that
keeps me up at night. It makes me grin when I see it. That's about it. Kind of like a girl I once
saw climbing Ayres Rock in Australia in a short skirt and heals. She may have been a very nice
person but I definately questioned her judgement and smiled at the line of guys following up the
chain behind her........................................ I have to admit..... I almost turned around
and went back up.

Marty

> > > Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> > > cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as
> > > I could have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see
> > > things differently - read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or
> > > that they look like walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they
> > > are out on the trail and having fun who cares?
> >

> > Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it happens
> > all the time. It's best to just ignore him.
>
> Heed your own advice, hardlow.
>
> JD

JD,

Some folks spend half their life contemplating their naval and the other half contemplating
everybody elses. Some people cross that line allot sooner than others.

Marty

"Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?

Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.

On 5 Mar 2003 20:31:48 -0800, [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote:

>[email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...

(huge-ass-snip-)

AM said:

> if you said that you stopped and brought to their attention what they were doing was wrong. Here,
> I don't mean being abusive or threatening to get them back on trail. Instead you're here, raving.
> Why not educated somebody so that they will do the right thing next time? You can then brag about
> it here instead of whingeing.

don't expect a well thought out, meaningful reply here.

>> > How can you loose?
>>
>> Turn the wrench to the left.

ah, see. I told ya' so. And he didn't even wait till the next reply to be a doof.....

>My, you are quick to put others down. OK, I concede to your superior spelling prowess and manual
>dexterity. However, what if it was the left pedal I was trying to take off? Ever thought about
>that? There you go again. Assuming.
>>
>> JD
>
>AM

that's the JD everyone here has come to know and love......

Dave (whatever)

> > Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it happens
> > all the time. It's best to just ignore him.
>
> Heed your own advice, hardlow.
>
> JD

Sorry JD, I was just attempting to enlighten this person of who he is dealing with. Didn't mean to
hurt your feelings.

> > That's why in highly fragile areas such as the desert it takes extra
tact
> > and patience to educate those who may not realize the damage they're causing. Something about
> > flies and honey...
>
> That's why in highly fragile areas such as the desert have information posted at trailheads about
> the environment and how to behave in those environments. You've never been out here, have you
> hardlow? Keep pissing up that rope, you're only going to get urine on your hands.
>
> JD

JD, there is no doubt you do know more specifically about the area than I (I have been to the desert
exactly twice). However, the general principals of dealing with problems are universal. It has
nothing to do with pissing on ropes BTW.

Dennis Baker wrote:
>> I find humor in many things, especially tools who have gear they can't handle. That's like a
>> redneck going out on their new large displacement atv and rolling it when trying to go up an
>> adobe ridge. I don't find humor in morons who don't take the time to learn the rules of a sport
>> they decide to participate in, esecially when those rules are so readily available. Anyone with a
>> clue takes the time to know the rules before they begin.
>>
>> JD
>
> I can understand being upset about people trashing trails or as you said ignoring rules that are
> common knowledge. But seems like you were just poking fun at a couple of newbies because they
> spent more money than you on gear.
>
> Don't mind me, I'm a geek by nature and I just don't care for elitism in any form.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

not even as a form a of entertainment? Maybe it makes me evil too but I do it... The guys out on
class 3-4 rivers with 10K of new gear from NRS that don't have a friggin clue; backpackers out in
the sticks a la same. Sure you have to give them some credit for being out there and trying
something but in many cases these are the folks who have to get bailed out due to ignorance and or
stupidity, no matter how well intentioned they were when they started out.

Penny

John Harlow wrote:
> "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
>>disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
>>rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
>

> Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.

You're talking about the original post now, right? About the guys that are all show and no go? These
are the same types of people who go in to work on Monday and tell everyone what a mtn bike stud they
were on the weekend. Deceitful morons, just like guys who drive Corvettes. It's a small penis issue.

Greg

> >>I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> >>disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> >>rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
> >

> > Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about
themselves.

> You're talking about the original post now, right? About the guys that
are
> all show and no go? These are the same types of people who go in to work
> on Monday and tell everyone what a mtn bike stud they were on the weekend.
> Deceitful morons, just like guys who drive Corvettes. It's a small
penis
> issue.

No, I was referring to those who need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves -
kind of like your cheap shot in regards to me having once owned a corvette.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:25:09 GMT, John Harlow wrote:

> No, I was referring to those who need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves -
> kind of like your cheap shot in regards to me having once owned a corvette.

So not only do you have a small penis, but you were too poor to keep the vette? :)

Just kidding, I actually agree with what you say. Way too much of that goes on in mountain biking.
We can have a lot more fun if we leave our competitive instincts at work.

BB wrote:

> Just kidding, I actually agree with what you say. Way too much of that goes on in mountain biking.
> We can have a lot more fun if we leave our competitive instincts at work.

Competitive instincts at work? No-one's even got close to my front door-to-water cooler time :)

I'll stick my oar in. I have no time for people that look down their nose at others because they
have cheaper equipment. However, those that have 'all the gear, no idea' are jokes. They're the sort
of people who think expending large amounts of cash on equipment will instill them with some talent
/ skill / attractiveness, etc. They can be found throughout life and it's just a big bluff.

There's a lot of snobbishness in mountain biking, and I have no problem at laughing at the snobs.

> There's a lot of snobbishness in mountain biking, and I have no problem at laughing at the snobs.

Err, isn't that a bit snobby? ;)

> One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
> can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
> and bringing the singlespeed.
>
> Poseur #1:
>
> Riding some xc RM thing. Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was already
> yielding. He sure had a cool jersey though (not).
>
> Poseur #2:
>
> Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right
> side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on. Didn't
> notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.
>
> Poseurs #3:
>
> Walking their POS gt idontdrives up an easy grade that amost any beginner can climb. They sure had
> all of the right gear though, pretty gt jerseys and all. They didn't bother returning my greeting
> as the others had. That brought out a laugh.
>
> Posuers #4:
>
> I saw them departing from their vehicle as I was heading out on another trail that is more than
> twice as long as the one they were heading up. After riding out and back, I decided to hit the
> beginner loop they were on for a quick 5 mile finish. After stopping for a 15 minute trail
> maintenance issue, I passed them at the apex of the loop. They were already pulled off the trail,
> gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A quick estimation of total cost for gear for
> these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When
> I was exiting, they had just gotten to their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail
> was as I passed. What a friggin joke.
>
> It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
> the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
> Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.

You forget what a poseur is after a while. We never see the beasts around our favorite trails.
Either it's too technical or they don't know about it. It's a good thing that they know their place
lol! I'll have to lead some beginner rides this season. There's no better cure for what ails ya than
a good laugh!

SB

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dennis Baker wrote:
> >> I find humor in many things, especially tools who have gear they can't handle. That's like a
> >> redneck going out on their new large displacement atv and rolling it when trying to go up an
> >> adobe ridge. I don't find humor in morons who don't take the time to learn the rules of a sport
> >> they decide to participate in, esecially when those rules are so readily available. Anyone with
> >> a clue takes the time to know the rules before they begin.
> >>
> >> JD
> >
> > I can understand being upset about people trashing trails or as you said ignoring rules that are
> > common knowledge. But seems like you were just poking fun at a couple of newbies because they
> > spent more money than you on gear.
> >
> > Don't mind me, I'm a geek by nature and I just don't care for elitism in any form.
> >
> > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
>
> not even as a form a of entertainment?

Again from my humble geek origins I think that elitism as a form of entertainment is the worst form.
I was usually not a victem, but several of my friends were isolated and ridiculed by the in-crowd
"as a form entertainment" because they didn't fit in. This sort of **** is also what fueled the
Columbine shootings.

> Maybe it makes me evil too but I do it... The guys out on class 3-4 rivers with 10K of new gear
> from NRS that don't have a friggin clue; backpackers out in the sticks a la same. Sure you have to
> give them some credit for being out there and trying something but in many cases these are the
> folks who have to get bailed out due to ignorance and or stupidity, no matter how well intentioned
> they were when they started out.
>
> Penny

Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along with you
but it sounded to me like the only crime was not meeting JD's fitness standards and spending too
much on clothing.

I'm probably making this into an issue when it really isn't. I just think that perhaps we should
spend more time encoraging people to do the right thing (stay on the trail damnit !!) instead of
laughing at people for not meeting our expectations of what a mountain biker should dress like.

-- The Ogre (guess I should just go back into lurker mode :) http://ogrehut.com

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> John Harlow wrote:
> > "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> >>disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> >>rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
> >

> > Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.
> >

> You're talking about the original post now, right? About the guys that are all show and no go?
> These are the same types of people who go in to work on Monday and tell everyone what a mtn bike
> stud they were on the weekend. Deceitful morons, just like guys who drive Corvettes. It's a small
> penis issue.
>
> Greg

I'd love to have a Vette (or Fagerlin's mobile 'Tupperware') and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My
bitty weewee is just as God made it, after all. /s

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
> trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along with
> you but it

Where's that 5 mile downhill run?

Mike

supabonbon wrote:

> I'd love to have a Vette (or Fagerlin's mobile 'Tupperware') and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My
> bitty weewee is just as God made it, after all.

Oh believe me, I'd take Fagerlin's Tupperware anyday. In fact, unbeknownst to him I was searching
his hotel room for his keys before I headed home from Utah. He would have been quite confused seeing
the red Cherokee in his parking spot in place of the Tupperware.

But I'll never drive a Camaro or a 'vette or a big monster truck of any make or model. Ever.

Greg

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
>>trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along with
>>you but it
>

> Where's that 5 mile downhill run?

Ubiquitous out here.

Greg

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| supabonbon wrote:
| >

| > I'd love to have a Vette (or Fagerlin's mobile 'Tupperware') and I'm not ashamed to admit it. My
| > bitty weewee is just as God made it, after all.
| >

| Oh believe me, I'd take Fagerlin's Tupperware anyday. In fact, unbeknownst to him I was searching
| his hotel room for his keys before I headed home from Utah. He would have been quite confused
| seeing the red Cherokee in his parking spot in place of the Tupperware.

Point of order.

"Tupperware" refers to the plastic body of the Vette.

My kraut sled has a metal body, excluding bumpers, not Tupperware.

Tupperware is standard issue smack talk when referring to the plastic clad pushrod engined Detroit
issue cars commonly known as "Vettes."

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

"Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it
> > > happens all the time. It's best to just ignore him.
> >
> > Heed your own advice, hardlow.
> >
> > JD
>
> JD,
>
> Some folks spend half their life contemplating their naval and the other half contemplating
> everybody elses. Some people cross that line allot sooner than others.
>
> Marty

Well put, my friend.

JD navel