RR: Poseurama

[email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
> trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along with
> you but it sounded to me like the only crime was not meeting JD's fitness standards and spending
> too much on clothing.
>
> I'm probably making this into an issue when it really isn't. I just think that perhaps we should
> spend more time encoraging people to do the right thing (stay on the trail damnit !!) instead of
> laughing at people for not meeting our expectations of what a mountain biker should dress like.

You need to reread it Dennis. They failed to return a genuine greeting. They are not mountain
bikers, they are just more dorks on bikes. Their level of fitness and attire only made it funnier.
Read the Mike Ferrentino article on litter. That describes their type, multiple times.

JD

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I used to sneer as much as the next guy. At some point I just felt that it was taking a lot of
> > the fun out of MY ride. If someone can't afford a nice bike, I think "well at least they're
> > riding". If someone has a flash bike, I tell myself "good for them, the demand drives down the
> > cost of high-end bikes." And then I take a deep whiff of sweet mountain air and I feel better.
> > Its all good.
>
> Absolutely. As with most things in life, there will always be people who have better and worse
> equipment, better and worse skills, and it needn't detract from your enjoyment.

Again hardlow, you nmissed the points. It didn't detract from my enjoyment, it enhanced it. Now go
analyze someone else, Dr Doo(very)little.

JD

John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Take it easy on JD, he might be a tad indelicate at times but you know
> he's
> > right. How many times have you seen a mtb rider out in the matching
> jersey,
> > spandex bottoms and shoes...all colour coordinated to the rig they
bought
> > for 4 grand??
>
> Personally, I can enjoy a ride without concern or criticism of another rider's equipment or
> skill levels.

Oooo, you're such a real man! Good for you, I say, good for you!

> It's unfortunate

Yes, so very.....

> others have to attempt to demonstrate their prowess via belittling others. The arrogance touted
by
> the likes of JD simply demonstrates underlying feelings of inadequacy - at least to those of us
> who can see through it.

It's easy to see through something that isn't there, but in your case, it seems it's impossible for
you to see something that is there, plain as day, oh mightily myopic one.

> The mature mountainbiker

Pfffssts! Bwaaaaaaaaahahahahahaheheheheh! Well now, that was a classic! ',;~}

> shares knowledge, the occasional allen wrench or patch kit and remembers their roots. We all
> started off less than perfect riders, and it's helpful to all when someone more experienced comes
> along _without an attitude_ and helps us learn such non obvious things as why we need to stay on
> the trail or avoid riding when it's too muddy, and why we should become active in trail
> maintenance and special interests.

Yer a bloody funny bloke Harlow, I'll give you that ',;~}

Shaun aRe - HAND!

periplaneta <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Did you snip my rant and not read it at all, or do you lack reading comprehension? They were not
> > ON the trail in every case and I care about the desert. Your lack of care is part of the
> > problem. "Hey, have fun riding that adobe ridge, I don't care if mountain bikers get shut out of
> > this area".
>
> In your original post: "Poseur #1...Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was
> already yielding." and "Poseur #4...They were already pulled off the trail, gasping from the small
> grade they had just climbed." Since you like to assume things, how about if we assume differently?
> Why not the former tried to avoid a possible collision at a distance HE thought appropriate to is
> skill level and the latter group stopped for a breather and not be in the way of other rider(s)?

What part of (paraphrased) "Huge assed signs at the trail heads........stay

Staying on the trail means just that - it does not mean 'stay on the trail when riding, but feel
free to trample off it when not', ya gret thick headed eejit, nor does it mean 'it's OK to go off
the trail if your skills aren't up to staying on it and still avoiding an accident'.

If you have to go off trail to avoid an accident 'at a distance appropriate to [his] skill level',
then you are riding on that trail at a rate of speed 'inappropriate for your skill level', the only
possible exception is if some

physically barges you off the trail.

Hope that helps, and that the scales have now fallen from your eyes.

Shaun aRe - 'it was a revelation!'

John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:miI9a.376995$be.348788@rwcrnsc53...

> "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> > disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> > rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
>

> Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.

FFS, go and have a **** - your hardon is disturbing the natives.

Shaun aRe

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tupperware is standard issue smack talk when referring to the plastic clad
pushrod engined
> Detroit issue cars commonly known as "Vettes."

Woah woah there, you saying that there are still people making pushrod operated rocker engines apart
from Hardly Doh!?

It just gets funnier..............

Shaun aRe

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tupperware is standard issue smack talk when referring to the plastic clad
pushrod engined
> Detroit issue cars commonly known as "Vettes."

Woah woah there, you saying that there are still people making pushrod operated rocker engines apart
from Hardly Doh!?

It just gets funnier..............

Shaun aRe

> > > I used to sneer as much as the next guy. At some point I just felt
that it
> > > was taking a lot of the fun out of MY ride. If someone can't afford a
nice
> > > bike, I think "well at least they're riding". If someone has a flash
bike,
> > > I tell myself "good for them, the demand drives down the cost of
high-end
> > > bikes." And then I take a deep whiff of sweet mountain air and I feel better. Its all good.
> >
> > Absolutely. As with most things in life, there will always be people
who
> > have better and worse equipment, better and worse skills, and it needn't detract from your
> > enjoyment.
>
> Again hardlow, you nmissed the points.

Err, no. I was responding to BB's post. Not surprised you missed that; you can't even spell my name
correctly.

> One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
> can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
> and bringing the singlespeed.

Boy, what a real man you are......nah just a hypocrite

> Yeah, ride all over the desert. It doesn't matter if you are riding off-trail because all that
> matters is that you are having fun. Dimwitted people defend dimwits.
>
> JD

But if it is one of JD's pals it is alright

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> Sorry JD, I was just attempting to enlighten this person of who he is dealing with. Didn't mean to
> hurt your feelings.

Considering how big an asshole JD is, he is rather thin skinned

> John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:miI9a.376995$be.348788@rwcrnsc53...
> >
> > "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
> > > disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
> > > rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
> >

> > Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about
themselves.

> FFS, go and have a **** - your hardon is disturbing the natives.
>

> Shaun aRe

You go Bean!!

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> No, I was referring to those who need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves

You hit the nail on the head. Ole JD is just a surly insecure turd because the guilt of running away
from his child is eating away at his soul.

Curt McClure <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:miI9a.376995$be.348788@rwcrnsc53...
> > >
> > > "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
tougher

> > > Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about
> themselves.
> >
> > FFS, go and have a **** - your hardon is disturbing the natives.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> You go Bean!!

I go, I stay - sometimes I just wander around aimlessly for the hell of it - what's yer point?

Shaun aRe

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I used to sneer as much as the next guy. At some point I just felt that it was taking a lot of
> > the fun out of MY ride. If someone can't afford a nice bike, I think "well at least they're
> > riding". If someone has a flash bike, I tell myself "good for them, the demand drives down the
> > cost of high-end bikes." And then I take a deep whiff of sweet mountain air and I feel better.
> > Its all good.
>
> Absolutely. As with most things in life, there will always be people who have better and worse
> equipment, better and worse skills, and it needn't detract from your enjoyment.

The point was about *attitude* not equipment.

You can buy all the equipment your bank account will allow, and that doesn't imbue you with any kind
of knowledge about trail ettiquette or how to ride. I have seen the storm troopers be total idiots
on the hills (and written about it here,) and I've also seen some excellent riders on expensive
machinery helping hapless newbies on shitty equipment. Yes, me - I have ridden crappy equipment, and
folks have stopped to help, given good advice, and been generally cool about me being a Barney.

But assholes who buy and dress the part, then don't actually *play* the part are the issue, really.
Those who have an axe to grind on JD will read whatever they like into his posts. But I'd guess that
if he had seen me pulled over on the side of the trail, on my shitty Diamondback, struggling to
change a tire, he'd lend a hand, even if I was wearing spandex or a tutu or whatever. But I would
wave, and smile and say "Hi" even if he didn't stop.

The Dewbies who almost ran over me and my daughter last summer didn't even stop to see if we were
OK, or holler "Sorry!" over their shoulders. These are the assholes that JD is describing. If you
want to bag on JD for being a USENET asshole, he's got that coming. From what everyone else says,
it's not like that on the trail.

Spider

> [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
> > trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along with
> > you but it sounded to me like the only crime was not meeting JD's fitness standards and spending
> > too much on clothing.
> >
> > I'm probably making this into an issue when it really isn't. I just think that perhaps we should
> > spend more time encoraging people to do the right thing (stay on the trail damnit !!) instead of
> > laughing at people for not meeting our expectations of what a mountain biker should dress like.
>
> You need to reread it Dennis. They failed to return a genuine greeting. They are not mountain
> bikers, they are just more dorks on bikes. Their level of fitness and attire only made it funnier.
> Read the Mike Ferrentino article on litter. That describes their type, multiple times.
>
> JD

Problem is I can too easily see a buddie of mine coming off of a contract job and deciding to get
into mountain biking. He would want to do it "Right" and would probably spend $5K on a nice bike and
gear. Then he would be exactally the guy you described.

Only he wouldn't be an obnoxious poseur to me, he would be an ignorant newbie who needs a little
direction. As far as not returning your greeting, I can think of hundreds of times when folks
haven't returned my "hello's" and "good afternoons". Seems like the more skilled cyclists are no
more likely than others to return my greetings.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com