RR: Poseurama

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jd, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > The Dewbies who almost ran over me and my daughter last summer didn't even stop to see if we were
    > OK, or holler "Sorry!" over their shoulders.

    Heh.. Were your eyes as "wide as saucers"? ;)

  2. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 7 Mar 2003 08:59:55 -0800, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

    >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 5 Mar 2003 20:31:48 -0800, [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote:
    >
    >Remote control hump. Nice.
    >
    >Nice posting about MTBs, BTW. Ooops, no MTB content. LOL!
    >
    >Spider

    oh so you've decided to quit humping all over the NG with M.V. have ya? I am honored.

    Dave (thanks for your concern)

  3. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:55:11 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Harlow wrote:
    >> "Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>I don't understand this thread at all. Some people are better riders. Some people have more
    >>>disposable income. Why do you care? Go ride and enjoy yourself, what's the point of this "I'm
    >>>rougher and tougher and better and smarter" stuff?
    >>

    >> Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.
    >>

    >You're talking about the original post now, right? About the guys that are all show and no go?
    >These are the same types of people who go in to work on Monday and tell everyone what a mtn bike
    >stud they were on the weekend. Deceitful morons, just like guys who drive Corvettes. It's a small
    >penis issue.
    >
    >Greg

    and this effects you how? are you just jealous that they actually have a job they can go into and
    talk about the weekends festivities concerning the bike. Or are you jealous of the fact that they
    also have a life, filled with friends and family, and responsibilities that are beyond the
    bike.....finding time to ride is a struggle at best. truth is I'd love to be able to ride daily like
    you JD, and the independently wealthy Mr. Fagerlin but alas my attentions are required elsewhere
    most of the time. I squeeze a ride when I can, weather permitting. (and it hasn't been lately down
    here in the south :-( )

    Dave

  4. Curt McClure

    Curt McClure Guest

    >> pretty gt jerseys and all. They didn't bother returning my greeting
    > as the others had.

    What a hoot, JD complaining about someone not being nice to him

  5. Curt McClure

    Curt McClure Guest

    > I go, I stay - sometimes I just wander around aimlessly for the hell of
    it -
    > what's yer point?
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Sorry, American lingo. Something you Brits don't understand, much like good dental care

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Dave W wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:55:11 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>John Harlow wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Some Horse's Hangdown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]...

    >>>Sadly, it's what some need to do in order to feel better about themselves.
    >>>

    >>You're talking about the original post now, right? About the guys that are all show and no go?
    >>These are the same types of people who go in to work on Monday and tell everyone what a mtn bike
    >>stud they were on the weekend. Deceitful morons, just like guys who drive Corvettes. It's a small
    >>penis issue.
    >>
    >>Greg
    >

    > and this effects you how? are you just jealous that they actually have a job they can go into and
    > talk about the weekends festivities concerning the bike.

    Um, dude, I have a job and I don't go in on Monday to brag about my imaginary mtn bike exploits like
    the poseurs do.

    > Or are you jealous of the fact that they also have a life, filled with friends and family, and
    > responsibilities that are beyond the bike.....finding time to ride is a struggle at best.

    What's that got to do with bragging poseurs?

    > truth is I'd love to be able to ride daily like you JD, and the independently wealthy Mr. Fagerlin
    > but alas my attentions are required elsewhere most of the time. I squeeze a ride when I can,
    > weather permitting. (and it hasn't been lately down here in the south :-( )

    Again, what's that got to do with bragging poseurs?

    The whole thread was about poseurs, not about how much you ride or how much you spend on your
    equipment.

    Too much pot this week?

    Greg

  7. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    "Martees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pOA9a.5835> Some folks spend half their life
    contemplating their naval and the other
    > half contemplating everybody elses. Some people cross that line allot
    sooner
    > than others.

    So who's navel were you contemplating with that statement?

  8. Blech

    Blech Guest

    Since we have only heard JD's side of the RR, let's hear from the other people who were there.

    > One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
    > can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
    > and bringing the singlespeed.
    >
    > Poseur #1:
    >
    > Riding some xc RM thing. Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was already
    > yielding. He sure had a cool jersey though (not).

    The other view:

    Heard some old rocker hollering "get off MY trail asshole" and I had to get off as far as I could
    because his 3 Stooges shirt reeked of stale bong water.

    > Poseur #2:
    >
    > Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right
    > side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on. Didn't
    > notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.

    The other view:

    Was riding along when out of nowhere this old hippie comes flying around the corner unable to
    control his bike. My eyes got big as saucers because his shirt reeked of stale bong water.

    > Poseurs #3:
    >
    > Walking their POS gt idontdrives up an easy grade that amost any beginner can climb. They sure had
    > all of the right gear though, pretty gt jerseys and all. They didn't bother returning my greeting
    > as the others had. That brought out a laugh.

    The other view:

    Due to one of our group breaking a chain, we decided to walk up to the top of an easy grade to
    repair the chain when along comes some Deadhead struggling to make it to the top. He said "hey
    dudes, dig the colors man" but we ignored him because his shirt reeked of stale bong water.

    > Posuers #4:
    >
    > I saw them departing from their vehicle as I was heading out on another trail that is more than
    > twice as long as the one they were heading up. After riding out and back, I decided to hit the
    > beginner loop they were on for a quick 5 mile finish. After stopping for a 15 minute trail
    > maintenance issue, I passed them at the apex of the loop. They were already pulled off the trail,
    > gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A quick estimation of total cost for gear for
    > these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When
    > I was exiting, they had just gotten to their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail
    > was as I passed. What a friggin joke.

    The other view:

    After an epic 120 mile ride, we drove over to another trail that a friend had mentioned. As we were
    unloading our gear, we saw some long haired freak looking at us. He couldn't take his eyes away
    from our gear. We left and later we stopped and watched him for 15 minutes while he tried to adjust
    the playing card he had in his spokes. After he got it making just the right sound, he headed out
    and my friend said "stop and let this guy pass, he looks creapy" so we pulled off the trail as the
    ancient Woodstock rocker rode by. Again he just stared at our bikes and mumbled some weird shit
    about how if he hadn't blown all his money on dope he could be riding a better bike. When we got
    back to our vehicle, there he was yet again. Holy shit, the guy was stalking us! We turned our
    backs to him, but he started to come closer so we started talking about how rough the trail was in
    hope that he would see we weren't interested in him and maybe he would go away. Oh yeah, he smelled
    like stale bong water.

    > It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
    > the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
    > Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.

    The other view:

    Hope it rains so that dudes shirt will rinse out.

  9. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    LOL wassup with that man??

    "blech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

> [...]
    > trail as the ancient Woodstock rocker rode by. Again he just stared at our bikes and mumbled some
    > weird shit about how if he hadn't blown all his money on dope he could be riding a better bike.
    > When we got back to our vehicle, there he was yet again. Holy shit, the guy was stalking us! We
    > turned our backs to him, but he started to come closer so we started talking about how rough the
    > trail was in hope that he would see we weren't interested in him and maybe he would go away. Oh
    > yeah, he smelled like stale bong water.
    >

    > > It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is
    > > in the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama
    > > that Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
    >

    > The other view:
    >
    > Hope it rains so that dudes shirt will rinse out.

  10. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > Since we have only heard JD's side of the RR, let's hear from the other people who were there.

    <snippage of yeah whatever>

    It would be interesting I suppose, but it's highly unlikely they post to this NG. You might want to
    consider making something up off the top of your head. Oh hang on, that's exactly what you
    did.......

    Interesting handle - Peter Jackson buff?

    Andy Chequer.

  11. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 7 Mar 2003 08:59:55 -0800, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
    >
    > >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> On 5 Mar 2003 20:31:48 -0800, [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote:
    > >
    > >Remote control hump. Nice.
    > >
    > >Nice posting about MTBs, BTW. Ooops, no MTB content. LOL!
    > >
    > >Spider
    >
    > oh so you've decided to quit humping all over the NG with M.V. have ya? I am honored.

    Nice spin, dimwit.

    Thanks for playing.

    Spider

  12. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 8 Mar 2003 10:43:54 -0800, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

    >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> >Remote control hump. Nice.
    >> >
    >> >Nice posting about MTBs, BTW. Ooops, no MTB content. LOL!
    >> >
    >> >Spider
    >>
    >> oh so you've decided to quit humping all over the NG with M.V. have ya? I am honored.
    >
    >Nice spin, dimwit.
    >
    >Thanks for playing.
    >
    >Spider

    So where's my prize Johnny freakin Olsen?

    Dave

    I don't want to sail with this ship of fools!

  13. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 8 Mar 2003 10:43:54 -0800, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
    >
    > >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > >> oh so you've decided to quit humping all over the NG with M.V. have ya? I am honored.
    > >
    > >Nice spin, dimwit.
    > >
    > >Thanks for playing.
    > >
    > >Spider
    >
    > So where's my prize Johnny freakin Olsen?

    There isn't one - idiots are disqualified. That's why I continue on to the next round, and you get
    to go home and smoke some more weed.

    Toke up, fool!

    > Dave
    >

    > I don't want to sail with this ship of fools!

    And yet you still do - because you are the most foolish of them all. Where's the MTB content, Dave?

    Spider

  14. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

    On 8 Mar 2003 14:38:12 -0800, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

    >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> >Nice spin, dimwit.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for playing.
    >> >
    >> >Spider
    >>
    >> So where's my prize Johnny freakin Olsen?
    >
    >There isn't one - idiots are disqualified. That's why I continue on to the next round, and you get
    >to go home and smoke some more weed.

    hey it's a win win for me then. I get to leave your presence, and get a good buzz. Excellent. Now go
    hump the troll some more.

    >Toke up, fool!

    O.K. I think I will. You can take the credit for telling to enjoy something I already do if you
    like, but that would be stating the obvious, and takes no foresight on your part, but then what
    else is new.

    >> Dave
    >>

    >> I don't want to sail with this ship of fools!
    >
    >And yet you still do - because you are the most foolish of them all. Where's the MTB content, Dave?
    >
    >Spider

    Over at mtbr, or ridemonkey or gearhead. Pretty much anywhere but here it seems.

    Dave (very little anyway, especially from Spiders part of the world...)

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip too muc time on their hands>

    I could write until my fingers bled and you'd never get it. Too bad, so sad.

    JD

  16. Jd

    Jd Guest

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Dennis Baker) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Now if you wanted to poke fun of a bunch of shuttle jockey's who get to the bottom of a 5 mile
    > > > trail and strut around and brag like they are 'leet cyclists then I will laugh right along
    > > > with you but it sounded to me like the only crime was not meeting JD's fitness standards and
    > > > spending too much on clothing.
    > > >
    > > > I'm probably making this into an issue when it really isn't. I just think that perhaps we
    > > > should spend more time encoraging people to do the right thing (stay on the trail damnit !!)
    > > > instead of laughing at people for not meeting our expectations of what a mountain biker should
    > > > dress like.
    > >
    > > You need to reread it Dennis. They failed to return a genuine greeting. They are not mountain
    > > bikers, they are just more dorks on bikes. Their level of fitness and attire only made it
    > > funnier. Read the Mike Ferrentino article on litter. That describes their type, multiple times.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Problem is I can too easily see a buddie of mine coming off of a contract job and deciding to get
    > into mountain biking. He would want to do it "Right" and would probably spend $5K on a nice bike
    > and gear. Then he would be exactally the guy you described.
    >
    > Only he wouldn't be an obnoxious poseur to me, he would be an ignorant newbie who needs a little
    > direction. As far as not returning your greeting, I can think of hundreds of times when folks
    > haven't returned my "hello's" and "good afternoons". Seems like the more skilled cyclists are no
    > more likely than others to return my greetings.
    >
    > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

    So the humor and irony of it all is lost on you. I'll not lose any sleep.

    JD

  18. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > FlyingCoyote wrote:
    > > JD wrote: <snip the hilarious poseur RR>
    > >> JD sticking to unpublished
    > >
    > > Hah!
    > >
    > > But this can't be an official JD RR without photo's. Come on, man! We need some visuals so we
    > > can better understand how the $10k peacocks looked as they huffed and puffed up the climbs.
    >
    > they were probably smoking too.

    Don't get the LBDog excited! ;-)

    Westie

    > penny s

  19. Dennis Baker

    Dennis Baker Guest

    [email protected] (JD) wrote in message

    > > Problem is I can too easily see a buddie of mine coming off of a contract job and deciding to
    > > get into mountain biking. He would want to do it "Right" and would probably spend $5K on a nice
    > > bike and gear. Then he would be exactally the guy you described.
    > >
    > > Only he wouldn't be an obnoxious poseur to me, he would be an ignorant newbie who needs a little
    > > direction. As far as not returning your greeting, I can think of hundreds of times when folks
    > > haven't returned my "hello's" and "good afternoons". Seems like the more skilled cyclists are no
    > > more likely than others to return my greetings.
    > >
    > > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
    >
    > So the humor and irony of it all is lost on you. I'll not lose any sleep.
    >
    > JD

    In the same way that the humor of kicking a sleeping dog is "lost" on
    me. Didn't intend to make anyone lose sleep, just through a different perspective.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Curt McClure <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I go, I stay - sometimes I just wander around aimlessly for the hell of
    > it -
    > > what's yer point?
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >

    > Sorry, American lingo.

    You need to take that comma out of there for it to make sense.

    > Something you Brits don't understand,

    You small and silly fool - In all likelihood, Iunderstand it more than you
    do. It appears, however, your mind is too slow to dance a step or two.

    > much like good dental care

    STFU gummy.

    Shaun aRe