RR: Poseurama

Jd

Guest
One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
and bringing the singlespeed.

Poseur #1:

Riding some xc RM thing. Yielding by riding about 3' off of the trail mafter I was already yielding.
He sure had a cool jersey though (not).

Poseur #2:

Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right side
as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on. Didn't notice
the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.

Poseurs #3:

Walking their POS gt idontdrives up an easy grade that amost any beginner can climb. They sure had
all of the right gear though, pretty gt jerseys and all. They didn't bother returning my greeting as
the others had. That brought out a laugh.

Posuers #4:

I saw them departing from their vehicle as I was heading out on another trail that is more than
twice as long as the one they were heading up. After riding out and back, I decided to hit the
beginner loop they were on for a quick 5 mile finish. After stopping for a 15 minute trail
maintenance issue, I passed them at the apex of the loop. They were already pulled off the trail,
gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A quick estimation of total cost for gear for
these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done better on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When I
was exiting, they had just gotten to their vehicle and were talking about how rough that trail was
as I passed. What a friggin joke.

It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.

JD sticking to unpublished

JD wrote: <snip the hilarious poseur RR>
> JD sticking to unpublished

Hah!

But this can't be an official JD RR without photo's. Come on, man! We need some visuals so we can
better understand how the $10k peacocks looked as they huffed and puffed up the climbs.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

Flying Coyote says:

>We need some visuals so we can better understand how the $10k peacocks looked as they huffed and
>puffed up the climbs.

Send me some peacock threads and follow me around - you'll see what they looked like ;-))

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Flying Coyote says:
>

>>We need some visuals so we can better understand how the $10k peacocks looked as they huffed and
>>puffed up the climbs.
>

> Send me some peacock threads and follow me around - you'll see what they looked like ;-))

I'm gonna have some peacock threads soon.. Marzocchi Jersey, Shorts, and riding jacket. And I'm
going to have Marzocchi and Shimano stickers on my new bike, maybe a few more too.

Then again, my team is sponsored by marzocchi and shimano, and at least shimano makes me put
stickers on (and I'd rather have marzocchi stickers, which is why they're going on to offset it); so
that just makes me a sponsored poseur (because I'm waaaaaaay outta shape!)

Jon Bond, sponsored poseur extrodinaire!

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> JD wrote: <snip the hilarious poseur RR>
>> JD sticking to unpublished
>
> Hah!
>
> But this can't be an official JD RR without photo's. Come on, man! We need some visuals so we can
> better understand how the $10k peacocks looked as they huffed and puffed up the climbs.

they were probably smoking too.

penny s

Amen to that bruthah

TJ

Jonathan Bond wrote:

> Then again, my team is sponsored by marzocchi and shimano, and at least shimano makes me put
> stickers on (and I'd rather have marzocchi stickers, which is why they're going on to offset it);
> so that just makes me a sponsored poseur (because I'm waaaaaaay outta shape!)
>
> Jon Bond, sponsored poseur extrodinaire!

Are you sponsored? I would never have known...

bomba wrote:
> Jonathan Bond wrote:

>> stickers on (and I'd rather have marzocchi stickers, which is why they're going on to offset it);
>> so that just makes me a sponsored poseur (because I'm waaaaaaay outta shape!)
>>
>> Jon Bond, sponsored poseur extrodinaire!
>

> Are you sponsored? I would never have known...

hehe. Hey, I'm a **** rider, I gotta have SOMETHING to brag about!

Jon Bond

> One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
> can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
> and bringing the singlespeed. Poseur#1
[snip, snip]

> It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
> the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
> Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
>
> JD sticking to unpublished

Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete cycle
paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I could
have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see things differently
- read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they look like
walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they are out on the trail and
having fun who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did. If
they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit. If the latter,
then you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also, all these
"poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for everyone getting
into this hobby/habit. How can you loose?

AM

periplaneta <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > JD sticking to unpublished
>
> Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> could have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see things
> differently - read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they
> look like walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they are out on the
> trail and having fun who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I
> know I did. If they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit.
> If the latter, then you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also,
> all these "poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for
> everyone getting into this hobby/habit. How can you loose?
>
> AM

for this, he'd find something else to grump about, you can bet.

Shaun aRe

> One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the tourons
> can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three Stooges tshirt
> and bringing the singlespeed. Snip

> JD sticking to unpublished

Consider myself entertained. Nice RR. We have been deluged with rain for the past 2 weeks. I've been
forced to the asphalt to keep some semblance of fitness.

Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

> Poseur #2:
>
> Just about crapped himself when I buzzed around a turn on a fast doubletack. I was on the right
> side as was he. By his reaction, one may have thought a train was going to hit him head on. Didn't
> notice the bike because those saucers he calls eyes were too amusing.

That was me 18 months ago... it was enough just to keep the bike vertical, having someone pop out in
front of me head on would have scared the **** out of me. Some of us aren't gifted with natural
balance. Things are much different now, but I remember when I sucked (Some would say I still suck,
but I suck less now).

> They were already pulled off the trail, gasping from the small grade they had just climbed. A
> quick estimation of total cost for gear for these peacocks over $10K. Many would have done better
> on a beat up Huffy singlespeed cruiser. When I was exiting, they had just gotten to their vehicle
> and were talking about how rough that trail was as I passed. What a friggin joke.

I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with a couple of guys who spent too much money on
gear. If they only use the gear once then at least they are supporting the industry, subsidizing
tight wads like
me. It wasn't too long ago that I was huffing half way through a 5 mile ride and begging for a
break. You need to start somewhere.

> It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is in
> the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama that
> Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.

Are you suggesting that perhaps there should be someone to police who goes on trails based on their
abilities, wardrobe, or a combination (Beginners can only ride $750 bikes and must not wear name
brand jerseys). Maybe you can recruit our local usenet kook (MV) to police the trails for you.

-- The Ogre (Usually prefers the understated look as well) http://ogrehut.com

> [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote: >As long as they are out on the trail and having fun
> who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did. If they are
> new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit. If the latter, then
> you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also, all these "poseurs"
> buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for everyone getting into
> this hobby/habit. How can you loose?

Reply #1 This is all too logical. It'll never fly! Why think about how much fun you are having when
you can make it into a negative experience by making fun of other people? That makes more sense!

<sarcasm off>

Reply #2 Amen! Ride and have fun and don't worry about the other guy!

tim

TDWFL wrote:
>> [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote: >As long as they are out on the trail and having fun
>> who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did. If they
>> are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit. If the latter, then
>> you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also, all these "poseurs"
>> buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for everyone getting into
>> this hobby/habit. How can you loose?
>
> Reply #1 This is all too logical. It'll never fly! Why think about how much fun you are
> having when you can make it into a negative experience by making fun of other people? That
> makes more sense!
>
> <sarcasm off>

but that's no fun.. no different than me poking fun at the guys skiing in their Carharts, camo gear
or ancient neon. That or their Bogner, at my home hill....

penny

> Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> could have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see things
> differently - read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they
> look like walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they are out on the
> trail and having fun who cares?

Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it happens all
the time. It's best to just ignore him.

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FIb9a.359433$be.332713@rwcrnsc53...
> > Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> > cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> > could have easily gone out and buy what they had. To cut a long story short, I now see things
> > differently - read old age. So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they
> > look like walking bill boards? (Bad attitude is different though.) As long as they are out on
> > the trail and having fun who cares?
>

> Heh - new 'round these parts, ain't ya? JD builds himself up by putting others down; it happens
> all the time. It's best to just ignore him.

Take it easy on JD, he might be a tad indelicate at times but you know he's right. How many times
have you seen a mtb rider out in the matching jersey, spandex bottoms and shoes...all colour
coordinated to the rig they bought for 4 grand??

Don't you laugh when you see them cherry picking up a moderate climb that is ordinarily a piece of
cake for most serious riders?

Anyway, every good rider starts out somewhere, hopefully their riding skill catches up to the
flashy gear.

[email protected] (periplaneta) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > One might think that a Monday in Loma might garner empty trails in the Winter. Not if the
> > tourons can help it. Figuring on this, I had preplanned by wearing my most obnoxious Three
> > Stooges tshirt and bringing the singlespeed. Poseur#1
> [snip, snip]
> >
> > It's no wonder so many of our trails are jacked-up. It's supposed to rain again tonight and is
> > in the forecast for the next few days. At least it'll give the trails a break from the poseurama
> > that Fruita seems to becoming inflicted with.
> >
> > JD sticking to unpublished
>
> Hi JD, you know, I used to think like that when I saw guys in flash mountain bikes on concrete
> cycle paths - flat ones at that and I was on my hired bike. It wasn't a case of sour grapes as I
> could have easily gone out and buy what they had.

What the hell were you doing on concrete cycle paths? Are you some kinda roadie?

> To cut a long story short, I now see things differently - read old age.

Can I buy some rose colored bifocals too?

> So what if you think their bikes are too good for them, or that they look > like walking
> bill boards?

Yeah, so what?

> (Bad attitude is different though.)

I thought that I mentioned that in none of the encounters. He could have at least grunted.

> As long as they are out on the trail and having fun who cares?

Did you snip my rant and not read it at all, or do you lack reading comprehension? They were not ON
the trail in every case and I care about the desert. Your lack of care is part of the problem. "Hey,
have fun riding that adobe ridge, I don't care if mountain bikers get shut out of this area".

> You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did.

What a revelation. Then again it appears your idea of fun means anything goes, including
off-trail riding.

> If they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time > or quit.

If they ae new to mountain biking, they need to learn the rules of the trail. It's a crime when
those rules are posted on the kiosk at the trailhead, oh so plainly.

> If the latter, then you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices.

Yeah, overpriced cookie cutter bikes, previously owned by Club Dork. I don't think so.

> Also, all these "poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease > the overall cost
> for everyone getting into this hobby/habit.

No thanks. The recent influx of clueless dorks who watch a mt dew commercial and immediately think
they are exreem can take up bmx instead. It's that idiot element that is screwing up access for
legitimate mountain bikers.

> How can you loose?

Turn the wrench to the left.

JD

[email protected] (TDWFL) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (periplaneta) wrote: >As long as they are out on the trail and having
> > fun who cares? You did get into cycling because you found it fun didn't you? I know I did. If
> > they are new to mountain biking, they may either get better at it in time or quit. If the
> > latter, then you'll have a chance to buy very good nick rides at secondhand prices. Also, all
> > these "poseurs" buying expensive biking gears will help to decrease the overall cost for
> > everyone getting into this hobby/habit. How can you loose?
>
> Reply #1 This is all too logical. It'll never fly! Why think about how much fun you are
> having when you can make it into a negative experience by making fun of other people? That
> makes more sense!
>
> <sarcasm off>
>
> Reply #2 Amen! Ride and have fun and don't worry about the other guy!

Yeah, ride all over the desert. It doesn't matter if you are riding off-trail because all that
matters is that you are having fun. Dimwitted people defend dimwits.

JD

<huge snip>

> > How can you loose?
>
> Turn the wrench to the left.
>
> JD

It's not very often, but once in awhile you do get a funny....ROTFL!!!
---
Slacker

> Take it easy on JD, he might be a tad indelicate at times but you know
he's
> right. How many times have you seen a mtb rider out in the matching
jersey,
> spandex bottoms and shoes...all colour coordinated to the rig they bought for 4 grand??

Personally, I can enjoy a ride without concern or criticism of another rider's equipment or skill
levels. It's unfortunate others have to attempt to demonstrate their prowess via belittling others.
The arrogance touted by the likes of JD simply demonstrates underlying feelings of inadequacy - at
least to those of us who can see through it.

The mature mountainbiker shares knowledge, the occasional allen wrench or patch kit and remembers
their roots. We all started off less than perfect riders, and it's helpful to all when someone more
experienced comes along _without an attitude_ and helps us learn such non obvious things as why we
need to stay on the trail or avoid riding when it's too muddy, and why we should become active in
trail maintenance and special interests.