RR posted on behalf of the most decidedly delicious Kath:

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Ride Report Billington to Whalley (and back)

It had been a long day in the office, and it was incredibly muggy.

Got home earlier than usual, and decided to abandon four wheels in favour of two for my journey.
Dressed for the part (well, I selotaped the bottom of my trousers round my ankles) and after
wrestling my new to me bike from the shed, (recently lovingly reconditioned by the skilled but
tender hands of the gorgeous Mr Shaun Rimmer - after it had almost been cast into the skip) I set
off on my epic journey.

To start I had to negotiate cobbles and potholes, weaving unskilfully over and around them, for what
seemed like several miles, but on reflection was actually around four yards, I hit the road, and boy
could that baby move! I must have topped almost 5mph before having to screech to a halt perhaps 20
yards into my journey. No good! I had to get off and gently coax my lovely shiny bike under the
gatepost. Now the part I had been more than a little anxious about, a long narrow path, about 200
yards in length, with rusty spikes running along either side at about eye height, and huge nettles
whipping at my ankles, I tried to remember Shaun's advice and focus ahead -oh no! A woman walking
her dog approaching, I could feel panic rising into a scream! Do I stop and let her past? Would she
stop? Would the dog become entangled in my wheels and die a long painful death as I dragged its
little body along, unable to use my brakes after I froze in a blinding panic?????

The woman stopped, picked up the dog, and I edged past apologetically - god, this sport is drawing
me in now - I can feel the adrenalin kick in, and I am hungry for more! (Well, I am always hungry,
but that's another story) I get to the end of the path with no more encounters, and easily negotiate
a switch back onto the bridge (ok, it was a couple of slight bends in the path, but hey! That would
sound really pathetic, so indulge me!). As I look down to the river, I can't help but notice a
couple of ducks eying me up, now I don't know what damage a duck is capable of inflicting, but these
guys didn't look friendly, and I thought it best not to hang around too long and risk angering them,
so I pedalled for all I was worth towards the road.

(At this point I would like to point out, I have not ridden a bike since I was about.15 years old,
so bare with me!)

Thankfully there was no traffic on the road, so I took the opportunity to try those gear thingies
out. I tried to recall the instructions my beloved Shaun had tried to give me, and managed to make
my legs go from spinning round in a blur, to feeling like I was riding through treacle, then my head
feeling like it was spinning in a blur through treacle, I had to stop for a moment here.

Now all I wanted to do was get to my destination, I hung a right onto yet another treacherous path,
running along the graveyard - with my head low to avoid the metal beams covering the path. (I knew
one false head movement, and I would end up as a resident in said graveyard)

Another gatepost to negotiate, then I tore down hill over boulders, broken branches, empty coke
cans, crisp packets, the wind in my face, my hair wildly whipping my eyes, squirrels running for
cover, rooks falling out of the trees - with laughter. What a rush!

I arrived at my destination completely exhausted, and very happy. It wasn't long before Shaun turned
up to escort me back, so I knew I would be safe! Can you imagine how chuffed I was when he told me I
had travelled almost a full mile there and back! I love that guy!

Ps. can anyone tell me the best way for girls to get onto their bike? Is it correct etiquette to use
the leg over the back method??

Kath.

Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> [...]
> path, running along the graveyard - with my head low to avoid the metal beams covering the path.
> (I knew one false head movement, and I would end up as a resident in said graveyard)
>
> Another gatepost to negotiate, then I tore down hill over boulders, broken branches, empty coke
> cans, crisp packets, the wind in my face, my hair wildly whipping my eyes, squirrels running for
> cover, rooks falling out of the trees - with laughter. What a rush!
>
> I arrived at my destination completely exhausted, and very happy. It wasn't long before Shaun
> turned up to escort me back, so I knew I would be safe! Can you imagine how chuffed I was when he
> told me I had travelled almost a full mile there and back! I love that guy!
>
> Ps. can anyone tell me the best way for girls to get onto their bike? Is it correct etiquette to

No idea how the girls do it, but i got my seat so high i can't go over the back. i usually put a leg
over the top tube, and bring a pedal up and use the downward pedaling force to both get the bike
moving and as a step up so i can get on the seat.
--
~Travis

Shaun Rimmer thoughtfully penned:
> Ps. can anyone tell me the best way for girls to get onto their bike? Is it correct etiquette to
> use the leg over the back method??
>
> Kath.

etiquette?

Do what ever works, some things look more graceful than others. I personally clip in, standup and
swing leg over seat. Other times it's whatever works.

Penny

Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> Ride Report
<Still laughing from reading the post> <Chuckle>

I would imagine "etiquette" would allow the "leg over" method if you hwere wearing shorts or cycling
tights.. I would imagine that it isn't very lady like if wearing say a short skirt..<Blink>

But then again it probably wouldn't be very good if a bloke flung his leg wearing a kilt so its
probably about even..<Grin>..

I did find..the following...

> [...]
> positions in the saddle. How to Ride
>
> Above all else a lady should at all times maintain an upright position, and on this account should
> be provided with a machine on which the handles turn upward rather than downward. The stooping
> posture assumed by so many ladies on the wheel is not only coarse and decidedly ugly, but
> exceedingly harmful, and will, in a very short time, tend to curvature of the spine, compression
> of the lungs and their consequent diseases. Many riders claim that one rides much more easily,
> when facing the wind, to bend forward, and thus break its force, but it were far better to ride a
> shorter distance than to risk the ills of which we have spoken. Indeed, no woman should ever ride
> after a feeling of weariness is experienced; the strain on the nerves and muscles is great and
> should never be protracted after Nature gives the warning.
>
> The limit of speed is only a little less important than the limit of distance, which is designated
> by the feeling of weariness. No man can ride at full speed for long distances and still retain
> health and perfect vigor, and it is certain that no woman can maintain a high rate of speed for
> one mile without laying the foundation for future suffering. There is no relaxation of the tension
> of either muscles or nerves between the revolutions of the pedals. Many ladies complain, after
> riding for a time, of a stinging sensation in the limbs and feet. The heart forcing the blood into
> the arteries more rapidly than the veins can return it, and incipient paralysis or apoplexy may
> result. Tandem Wheels
>
> are very popular, for they give a sense of nearness and protection. Still, the genious who invents
> a double wheel providing for sitting side by side will have the blessings of many who like to see
> the face of their fair companion. Properly used, the bicycle is considered a promoter of health,
> developing, as it does, muscles which are otherwise seldom brought into play. It secures for women
> that highly desirable condition of flesh, a firm, solid tissue, when muscles are flexed and a
> velvety softness with muscular relaxation. Reminders for the use of Cyclers
>
> Don't try to raise your hat to a lady passing you until you are an expert on your wheel.
>
> Don't wear a red or gay-colored cap, under the impression that it is stylish.
>
> Don't laugh at the figure other riders present, for it is not given us to "Sae oorsel's as ithers
> sae us."
>
> Don't neglect to turn to the right in passing another wheel or a vehicle.
>
> Don't ride fast down a steep hill with a curve at its foot.
>
> Don't ride fifteen miles at a scorching pace, and then drink copiously of water and lie down in
> the grass.
>
> Don't carry your bicycle down stairs under your arm. Your shoulder is better adapted to it.
>
> Don't leave your wheel in a dark hall for other people to fall over.

Gyp

Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer thoughtfully penned:
> > Ps. can anyone tell me the best way for girls to get onto their bike? Is it correct etiquette to
> > use the leg over the back method??
> >
> > Kath.
>
> etiquette?
>

> Do what ever works, some things look more graceful than others. I personally clip in, standup and
> swing leg over seat. Other times it's whatever works.
>
> Penny

What are you like! She was just having a giggle with that ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Vaughn wrote:
> "Gyp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>I did find..the following...
>>

> Wonderful stuff!! Where did you find it?

it is quoted directly from Chapter XXVI.Cycling,gold,dancing and games" of "Twentieth Century
Etiquette" by Annie Randall White, copyright © 1901 (Totally without permission, though I doubt
Annie or the publisher really care anymore):

I quite liked the fore word..

In America

the woman who minds her business may go wherever duty calls her.

Of course, the first essential in cycling is a perfect wheel, safe, easy-running, with saddle built
high and wide in the back, sloping away and downward in front, and fitted out with a clock, a bell,
luggage carrier, and if the rider cares for records, a cyclometer.

A lady can be as reserved upon a wheel as in her parlor. No lady will permit a stranger to accost
her, even if she is riding alone, unless an accident or mishap to herself or wheel occurs, and then
a true gentleman may offer his assistance, which may be accepted or not, without misconstruction or
familiarity.

The etiquette to be observed in cycling is to be civil to all; assist the timid, and do not mock or
laugh at awkwardness. If you have an appointment to ride with a lady, be punctual, and accomodate
your pace to hers. A good rule to be observed in this respect is to never go faster than you find it
possible, and breathe through the nostrils. The moment you are inclined to open your mouth you may
know that you are over-exerting yourself. Of course this advice would fall numb on the ears of a
"scorcher."

<Chuckle>

Gyp

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Ride Report
> <Still laughing from reading the post> <Chuckle>

She's a smart girl, and out matches my wit on many an occasion (all the occasions
actually....heheheheheheheh!).

> I would imagine "etiquette" would allow the "leg over" method if you hwere wearing shorts or
> cycling tights.. I would imagine that it isn't very lady like if wearing say a short
> skirt..<Blink>
>
> But then again it probably wouldn't be very good if a bloke flung his leg wearing a kilt so its
> probably about even..<Grin>..
>
> I did find..the following...
>
> > A Gentleman Escort

Heheheh - cheers Gyp, that was some good stuff, and duly forwarded to the lady herself ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

They didn't like GRS stuff back then, either!!! Funnyhow much of this stuff still hold true.

>> Reminders for the use of Cyclers
>>
>> Don't try to raise your hat to a lady passing you until you are an expert on your wheel.
>>
>> Don't wear a red or gay-colored cap, under the impression that it is stylish.
>>
>> Don't laugh at the figure other riders present, for it is not given us to "Sae oorsel's as ithers
>> sae us."
>>
>> Don't neglect to turn to the right in passing another wheel or a vehicle.
>>
>> Don't ride fast down a steep hill with a curve at its foot.
>>
>> Don't ride fifteen miles at a scorching pace, and then drink copiously of water and lie down in
>> the grass.
>>
>> Don't carry your bicycle down stairs under your arm. Your shoulder is better adapted to it.
>>
>> Don't leave your wheel in a dark hall for other people to fall over.
>>

> Gyp

> I arrived at my destination completely exhausted, and very happy. It wasn't long before Shaun
> turned up to escort me back, so I knew I would be safe! Can you imagine how chuffed I was when he
> told me I had travelled almost a full mile there and back! I love that guy! Kath.

Untie that girl immediately and let her out of the basement, hasn't she suffered enough?

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:03:40 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>> > Ride Report
>> <Still laughing from reading the post> <Chuckle>
>
>She's a smart girl, and out matches my wit on many an occasion (all the occasions
>actually....heheheheheheheh!).

Is that really saying alot?

Penny S. wrote:
> They didn't like GRS stuff back then, either!!! Funnyhow much of this stuff still hold true.

Indeed but some are not quite in vogue now <Chuckle>

Still as a Victorian (US Publisher) guide its not half as bad as I expected it to be... Not quite
sure what the point of the "incipient paralysis or apoplexy" is about but I guess anyone can get our
if breath <Smile> even ladies..

Gyp (Doffs hat)

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Ride Report
> <Still laughing from reading the post> <Chuckle>
>
> I would imagine "etiquette" would allow the "leg over" method if you hwere wearing shorts or
> cycling tights.. I would imagine that it isn't very lady like if wearing say a short
> skirt..<Blink>
>
> But then again it probably wouldn't be very good if a bloke flung his leg wearing a kilt so its
> probably about even..<Grin>..
>
> I did find..the following...
>
> > A Gentleman Escort

<snip>

Stylin'! /s

Kath says:

>Dressed for the part (well, I selotaped the bottom of my trousers round my ankles)

Man, you can tell the Northerners from a mile off. ;-P

>the shed, (recently lovingly reconditioned by the skilled but tender hands of the gorgeous Mr Shaun
>Rimmer - after it had almost been cast into the skip)

Shaun does sheds, too? ;-)

> so bare with me!

NOW I see what Shaun sees in yez......

>I love that guy!

And we thank you for it - he's been much improved of late.

Nice RR, Kath, keep em coming. The frist mile is the toughest, and it's all downhill..... well, OK,
it's all easier from there.

Steve "Southern Poofta" Baker

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:57:45 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ride Report Billington to Whalley (and back)

[snip one of the most entertaining RR available!]

>Kath.

Nice, Bill

:-]

Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I arrived at my destination completely exhausted, and very happy. It wasn't long before Shaun
> > turned up to escort me back, so I knew I
would
> > be safe! Can you imagine how chuffed I was when he told me I had
travelled
> > almost a full mile there and back! I love that guy! Kath.
> >

> Untie that girl immediately and let her out of the basement, hasn't she suffered enough?

Heheheheh - you'd think >',;~}~

Shaun aRe - it's my turn next week..........heheheheheh............

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Ride Report
>
> WHAT???? No pictures !?!?!?!?!?

Nope - not yet. She has threatened to 'Lady Gadyier' (sp?) it soon, so, maybe then, eh?
Heheheheheh......

Shaun aRe

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kath says:
>
> >Dressed for the part (well, I selotaped the bottom of my trousers round my ankles)
>
> Man, you can tell the Northerners from a mile off. ;-P

Yeah - we know better than to use twisties like you lot, heheheh..........

> >the shed, (recently lovingly reconditioned by the skilled but tender hands of the gorgeous Mr
> >Shaun Rimmer - after it had almost been cast into the
skip)

> Shaun does sheds, too? ;-)

Don't be daaaaffft! ',;~}~

> > so bare with me!
>
> NOW I see what Shaun sees in yez......

You don't know the half of it........heheheh........

> >I love that guy!
>
> And we thank you for it - he's been much improved of late.

I've always been ace, but now I'm much 'acer', heheheheh.........

> Nice RR, Kath, keep em coming. The frist mile is the toughest, and it's
all
> downhill..... well, OK, it's all easier from there.

I'll pass this on Steve.

> Steve "Southern Poofta" Baker

Cheers Shandy Pants! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Heyyyy! And yet another one - this from a guy of very few words, unless he's preaching about single
speed bikes, heheheh......... You have a fan club here now! :

news:[email protected]...

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:03:40 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> <Still laughing from reading the post> <Chuckle>
> >
> >She's a smart girl, and out matches my wit on many an occasion (all the occasions
> >actually....heheheheheheheh!).
>
> Is that really saying alot?

Heheheheh - Gotcha, hook, line, and stinker, heheheheh - you really are quite the epitome of
'stupid-slow' ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - 'I love it when a plan comes together.....' '