RR + PR: WI ENO SS wheel at Batu Pahat, Malaysia

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bloocow

Hiya all,

I wanted to wait for my friend to send me all the pics before I posted this but he's taking forever.
Anyway a few pics have been posted at http://www.togoparts.com/showroom/categorylist.php?srid=2C
**Currently** the first 4 pics are ours, i'm no.4 from left, 1st pic. The last 3 are the same place.
and a few more of the same place on the next page.

I finally got to really test my new singlespeed rear wheel last sunday. Some friends and I drove up
to Malaysia to meet this guy (Qniux, real name, pron. Q-nix) who brought us around on a 43 km (26.7
miles) route at Batu Pahat. The area was mostly oil palm plantations. (with some surrounding hills I
think, cus there were killer climbs at the start). There was supposed to be some tough climbs at the
end as well but we skipped the last 10 km because 1 friend was almost dead and another had pinky toe
blisters. I later found out I had a blister as well.

Our guide lived nearby and had been exploring this area for a few months now. He memorised a route
through it and had previously brought 2 or 3 other Singaporean groups on it recently. I must really
credit Qniux with a great memory because Malaysian plantations are like Minotaur labyrinths. Imagine
all the same trees spaced equally apart over a huge area. And to come up with a 40+ km long route in
(under) 6 months based on weekend rides, wow!

Ok, so anyway the "trailhead" started off with this deadly climb that I barely survived on my 1.8
ratio (36-20). It had been raining yesterday but the dirt ground was relatively dry. Rain was
predicted for today as well but only some dark clouds showed up. We all brought at least 2L of water
although Qniux recommended 3L based on past trips. Fortunately the sun was quite shy and most of the
route had some shade.

About 20? min past our breathless start, we hit 2 more climbs though less steep. All of us began
asking Qniux how many more there would be, was the toughest yet to come(me), if we could bail out
now(the guy who was almost dead)... 45? min later I didn't feel warmed up yet and I felt my strength
ebbing from the climbs. Then Qniux showed us the Mother of All Climbs in the distance and I thought
it didn't look so bad, but it did look pretty longish.

Because of rocks and ruts, not much momentum could be gained before we were upon the Mother Climb.
This meant trouble for me and midway into the climb, a steeper section forced me to a standstill.
Tired but stubborn, I went back down, rested a bit, while a friend walked up, and tried again.
Reached further past the steeper bit but still couldn't make it. I gave up, realising I didn't have
enough weight on my front wheel because my risers were set up for a comfy position, too laid back to
clear this climb.

After flunking 2 other similarly steep but shorter climbs, I thought of readjusting my handlebars at
the next rest stop. But before I knew it, we were past the 8? km of climbs and went into the oil
palm plantations which were smooth dirt with occasional rocks and ruts. Gentler climbs with a few
really cool rutty descents. A longish one in particular had my arms aching from the vibration but my
mind exhilarating from the speed.

Another memorable path through the plantation was this stretch of dirt almost completely covered in
moss! It was really cool, and somewhat slippery but that only added to the coolness. I felt like I
was riding through some surreal landscape, on this mossy green ground amongst orderly palm trees. If
I wasn't with friends, it would definitely have been a very spine tingling moment.

After 30km off-road, we requested to skip the concluding climbs and took an easier way out, stopping
by at this rural grocery shop. Miraculously I still had at least half my 2L bladder but most of the
others had to top up. 10 km of relatively flat riding later, the ride ended.

This ride was a great test for my China made ti rigid forks, and White Industries ENO hub on Mavic's
X517. I've heard a couple of stories about others bending ti rigid forks but am now more confident
about mine although I believe riding style and rider weight plays a part. A week+ ago, I had to
re-true my ENO wheel after I couldn't correct a dishing problem while building it. So this ride has
also built up my faith in my wheel.

I'm so glad and relieved to finally do away with chain tensioners on my SS. I would've been *so*
annoyed to go on this ride with chain tensioning skips on climbs and chain derailment on descents.
Fortunately, my Sram chains actually fit very well with the ENO hub (with 36T front,16T and 20T
rears). Its like I don't have to do any adjustments at all. I literally just push the rear wheel to
sit properly in the vertical dropouts and the resulting tension seems ok. But I'm not sure how much
tension is ok though. It seems on the tighter side; there's maybe 2-4mm of vertical movement on the
chain if I push it down. Anyway I'm very happy with my SS now, at around 8 kg
(17.6 lbs). Next would be a vanity scheme to change my front spokes to black. ;-p

Warning: Unsolicited satisfied customer comments coming up.

PS: Have I ever mentioned how incredible Avid Ultimates are? An effortless feel on the fingers and
prompt stopping power. Expensive but so worth every cent, IMHO.

PP For more info on how the ENO works, check out: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm

bloocow

Status
Not open for further replies.