RR: Quick decisions

Anthony Sloan

Guest
Quick Decisions

Twas an epic weekend in Durango, Colorado. We went up for the Ironhorse road ride, and whatever
else we could fit in. The road ride went well, I finished it out slightly faster than last years
time, and I beat the train. We grabbed a couple of Horse Gulch rides as well. Constant kudos and
thanks to Trails 2000 for the excellent work they have done there.

On Memorial Day proper I woke up with a sore throat, and realized that the funky feeling I had the
previous day was not due to the road ride, but was indeed the onset of a cold. Hermosa Creek was on
the books for that day. Decision #1, ride or bail.

Of course I rode. Even if you live in Durango, Hermosa is only good to go at certain times of the
year. I hardly ever get the chance to cruise this premier trail. I loaded up my system with
Emergen-C, advil and Chuck and I headed out the door. We met up with JD and Craig Brossman at the
Hermosa store, left a vehicle and drove to Durango Mountain Resort, nee Purgatory. Whats this?,
you say,  A shuttle? True. Usually I try to ride from the bottom, up, then back. But today we were
going to go for the gusto. It was only really half a shuttle, as parking at the ski area still
leaves a longish climb up over the ridge in to Hermosa Park. 8 miles later we were truly warmed up.

The day, the weather, the group. It all came together. At one point there were slated to be 8-10
people on board for this ride. But then there were 4. And it worked quite well. Craig, Chuck and I
had all done the Silverton ride, and JD was aboard a single speed, so we seemed to hang together
pretty effortlessly.

Some photos: http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa1.jpg Chuck and Craig zipping to the
trailhead.

http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa2.jpg Poorly composed and exposed pic of Chuck, but when
riding Hermoas, it is quite difficult to stop and pull out the camera and take photos, so it'll have
to scratch.

http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa3.jpg

http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa4.jpg Waders.

http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa5.jpg

http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa6.jpg JD and Craig.

The Blur was quite happy with Hermosa. The long descent holds an interesting challenge. I wasnt
pushing it hard, but I was letting the bike zip along at a decent enough pace. At that speed the
trail presents itself quickly. You have to survey the offerings, pick a line and roll it out, all
while planning your next move. This is a fascinating way to spend a morning. Jumps, teeny technical
sections, one or two creek crossings (one of which was quite deep...) unfurled under my wheels like
some sort of magic carpet.

Of course you pay for the descent twice with Hermosa. Once cranking up to the trailhead, and once
more at Dutch Creek. But despite that, and despite the puckish nature that Craigs rear hub was
exhibiting that day, it was a great, great day.

Even fighting off a cold, I had a very nice ride. I truly enjoy the feeling of being dialed in to
the bike. I dont view myself as any sort of biking expert, in fact I ran across a quote this
weekend that neatly sums up my view on my riding. I am not better than anyone else, I am as good as
anyone else can be. I was a good on the bike that day as I could be.

After, we regrouped at Old Timers for burgers n beer.

Good company, good food and well deserved barley juice.

After that I crashed out. I think I had about a 101 degree fever, and I needed to drive for 15 hours
the next day. I racked out for about 15 and managed to drag myself back to Texas in decent enough
order. Was it worth it? You bet your bippee.

Thanks JD and Craig for the company.

On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:58:03 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:

> Of course I rode. Even if you live in Durango, Hermosa is only good to go at certain times of the
> year. I hardly ever get the chance to cruise this premier trail.

Because of snow?

> After that I crashed out. I think I had about a 101 degree fever, and I needed to drive for 15
> hours the next day. I racked out for about 15 and managed to drag myself back to Texas in decent
> enough order. Was it worth it? You bet your bippee.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you're feeling better.

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Quick Decisions

<snip>

That's a ride I still need to do. Looked/sounded like fun. This shot really makes me want
to ride it.

> http://www.anthonysloan.com/dgomay03/hermosa6.jpg JD and Craig.
>
> The Blur was quite happy with Hermosa. The long descent holds an interesting challenge. I wasnt
> pushing it hard, but I was letting the bike zip along at a decent enough pace. At that speed the
> trail presents itself quickly. You have to survey the offerings, pick a line and roll it out, all
> while planning your next move. This is a fascinating way to spend a morning. Jumps, teeny
> technical sections, one or two creek crossings (one of which was quite deep...) unfurled under my
> wheels like some sort of magic carpet.

JD didn't make fun of the welds, did he?

> Of course you pay for the descent twice with Hermosa. Once cranking up to the trailhead, and once
> more at Dutch Creek. But despite that, and despite the puckish nature that Craigs rear hub was
> exhibiting that day, it was a great, great day.

<snip>

Very nice. I'll have to make the 5 Hr. trek one of these days and hit that trail.

Matt

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 10:58:03 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:
>
> > Of course I rode. Even if you live in Durango, Hermosa is only good to go at certain times of
> > the year. I hardly ever get the chance to cruise this premier trail.
>
> Because of snow?

Yeah. It is in a pretty tight valley, it is only recently that it is snow free. Higher up the trail
it can get snowed in as early as September.

> > After that I crashed out. I think I had about a 101 degree fever, and I needed to drive for 15
> > hours the next day. I racked out for about 15 and managed to drag myself back to Texas in decent
> > enough order. Was it worth it? You bet your bippee.
>
> Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope you're feeling better.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Wow, sorry you were so sick. Perhaps we should have been doing whiskey shots instead of drinking
beer. Thanks for the company as well, I had a great time!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

MattB wrote:

> JD didn't make fun of the welds, did he?

Nope. It was all about the ride.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > MattB wrote:
> >
> > > JD didn't make fun of the welds, did he?
> >
> > Nope. It was all about the ride.

> I figured as much, but had to ask!
>
> Matt

You and I know (I'm sure many do as well) that Mr. Daniels is a big pussycat. Strong rider, bright
and interesting guy, very knowledgable about Colorado and biking, but he is basically a nice guy.
The only thing I regret about his recent visit is that I didn't think of stuffing my cat in one of
his bags before he left, so now I still have the cat :)
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in

> You and I know (I'm sure many do as well) that Mr. Daniels is a big pussycat. Strong rider, bright
> and interesting guy, very knowledgable
about
> Colorado and biking, but he is basically a nice guy. The only thing I regret about his recent
> visit is that I didn't think of stuffing my cat in one of his bags before he left, so now I still
> have the cat :)
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Shhhh! You'll tarnish his image!

Too bad about the cat though. I think he needs one. I've got a couple plus a few who seem to have
adoped us. Maybe I can sneak one of the extras into his stuff on the next visit...

Matt

BB wrote:

>On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:46 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:
>

>>http://www.anthonysloan.com/FUSSY.html
>>

>Where in the world did you get that cap for the stem?

That is the steed of the good doctor. Shurley is her name. I b'lieve the cap came from some
dude on mtbr.

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 11:21:46 -0500, Anthony Sloan wrote:
>
> > http://www.anthonysloan.com/FUSSY.html
>
> Where in the world did you get that cap for the stem?

I have one of those. Gary Saenz kindly sent me one out of the blue and it's adorning the Ritchie
Blackmore. He may know where to find one if you care to switch to the Dark Side. He has the coolest
return address labels...nyuk nyuk nyuk.

JD

On 29 May 2003 14:24:52 -0700, JD wrote:

> I have one of those. Gary Saenz kindly sent me one out of the blue and it's adorning the Ritchie
> Blackmore. He may know where to find one if you care to switch to the Dark Side. He has the
> coolest return address labels...nyuk nyuk nyuk.

*Sigh* I'd have to have it permanently in granny; I can barely keep my knees working as it is.

> On 29 May 2003 14:24:52 -0700, JD wrote:
>
> > I have one of those. Gary Saenz kindly sent me one out of the blue and it's adorning the Ritchie
> > Blackmore. He may know where to find one if you care to switch to the Dark Side. He has the
> > coolest return address labels...nyuk nyuk nyuk.
>
> *Sigh* I'd have to have it permanently in granny; I can barely keep my knees working as it is.

just keep your multi-speed bike in one gear. i tried it today on my quickie ride to see how i would
like it. rode an entire section in one gear (middle ring, and 5th of 7 on back). was a learning
experience in that i actually made it up hills that i normally have to ride in the little ring.
could be good practice for if and when i buy a real single speed (or frame to use as a single
speed). though i have noticed with this frame i can use the big ring much more on trails than before
(flats and some hills). but i think i am going to break out the file and carve some points on them
pedals as they have no traction when wet.

But anyway, like i said (before going off on a tangent), try staying in one gear for a while. you
may find out more about yourself than you were aware of.
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:

> just keep your multi-speed bike in one gear.

It is NOT the same as a true SS, not even close, no way.

Just get a Rigid SS and be done with the *****-footin' around.

> Technician wrote:
>
> > just keep your multi-speed bike in one gear.
>
> It is NOT the same as a true SS, not even close, no way.
>

> > But anyway, like i said (before going off on a tangent), try staying in one gear for a while.
> > you may find out more about yourself than you were aware of.
>
> Just get a Rigid SS and be done with the *****-footin' around.

ahh, but it is training for that glories day when i can buy a frame for SS conversion, although, it
may be better to buy a upgrade frame for regular riding, and convert the GT to single speed for when
i am in an SS mood.

BTW, for future reference (yes, it's that phrase again), what stipulates a single speed (other than
just one speed). is there a certain type of brakes that are "tradition"? what about pedals, just a
pare of flats? I assume the drive wheel has a freewheel of sorts (is it just a threaded hub, or
something more specific).
--
~Travis

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >
> > You and I know (I'm sure many do as well) that Mr. Daniels is a big pussycat. Strong rider,
> > bright and interesting guy, very knowledgable
> about
> > Colorado and biking, but he is basically a nice guy. The only thing I regret about his recent
> > visit is that I didn't think of stuffing my cat in one of his bags before he left, so now I
> > still have the cat :)

Tastes just like chicken, right?

> Shhhh! You'll tarnish his image!

Nah, I work hard enough to counteract any propaganda.

> Too bad about the cat though. I think he needs one. I've got a couple plus a few who seem to have
> adoped us. Maybe I can sneak one of the extras into his stuff on the next visit...

I'll be bringing the small bag.

JD

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Technician wrote:
>
> > just keep your multi-speed bike in one gear.
>
> It is NOT the same as a true SS, not even close, no way.
>

> > But anyway, like i said (before going off on a tangent), try staying in one gear for a while.
> > you may find out more about yourself than you were aware of.
>
> Just get a Rigid SS and be done with the *****-footin' around.

What he said.

JD

> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Technician wrote:
> >
> > > just keep your multi-speed bike in one gear.
> >
> > It is NOT the same as a true SS, not even close, no way.
> >

> > > But anyway, like i said (before going off on a tangent), try staying
in
> > > one gear for a while. you may find out more about yourself than you
were
> > > aware of.
> >
> > Just get a Rigid SS and be done with the *****-footin' around.
>
> What he said.
>
> JD

Or be really touch and walk! And don't even wear shoes, your feet will toughen up. And forget the
food and water. Just run naked through the forest, yeah, that's the ticket!