RR (Race report) MTB TBF Challenge

Flyingcoyote

Guest
We raced the TBF MTB Challenge at Folsom Lake today. Fun course, but easier then expected (we didn't
preride it). I came in a measly 14th (out of 51 (I think), in the 30-39 Sport category) and made a
lot of stupid mistakes that would have undoubtably put me into the top 3 otherwise. Oh well. I
learned a great deal about how I ride against other people, which is the important part... I'm too
nice to people (I should have passed at every opportunity but instead I waited for wider areas where
we wouldn't bump shoulders & bars). I finished the 21 miles in 1.34.41.

The course was mostly flat/rolling singletrack, located at Folsom Lake park just outside Sacremento.
A fast, mostly non-technical course but a lot of fun. A few slightly technical spots (a small drop
off a washed out section of trail; some deep, rock strewn mud puddles; and a sand trap); and several
jumps. It was raining both before and after the race but the race itself was perfect.

My friends all came in 3rd in their various categories (30-39 Beginner; 30-39 Sport-Female; 20-29
Sport). None of them expected it.

Brendon, who finished 3rd in the 20-29 Sport category would have gotten 1st! But he wasn't paying
attention at the start when they said "Go through the starting area 3 times during your 2 laps, then
double back around up ahead and hit the finish". Well, he got the start for the 3rd time but he
thought that WAS the finish. The previous 5 miles he had been fighting to get ahead of the 2 guys in
front of him... had a good 30 seconds on them but stopped at the start and lost a minute. Both guys
passed him up while he was trying to figure out where he had to go. Hah! Brendon was so irritated
with himself. It was his first mtb race (he normally races cyclocross).

After, we stopped by the Sac Brewing Company Oasis for some grub (I had a Cobb Pizza). We split a
pitcher of Imperial Stout.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The course was mostly flat/rolling singletrack, located at Folsom Lake park just outside
> Sacremento. A fast, mostly non-technical course but a lot of fun.

I was just up there last weekend. A fine place for a rigid singlespeed.

JD

> FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > The course was mostly flat/rolling singletrack, located at Folsom Lake park just outside
> > Sacremento. A fast, mostly non-technical course but a lot of fun.
>
> I was just up there last weekend. A fine place for a rigid singlespeed.
>
> JD

Second place in the 20-29 Sport cat was a rigid ss'er. Impressive.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

FlyingCoyote <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> We raced the TBF MTB Challenge at Folsom Lake today. Fun course, but easier then expected (we
> didn't preride it). I came in a measly 14th (out of 51 (I think), in the 30-39 Sport category) and
> made a lot of stupid mistakes that would have undoubtably put me into the top 3 otherwise. Oh
> well. I learned a great deal about how I ride against other people, which is the important part...
> I'm too nice to people (I should have passed at every opportunity but instead I waited for wider
> areas where we wouldn't bump shoulders & bars). I finished the 21 miles in 1.34.41.
>
> The course was mostly flat/rolling singletrack, located at Folsom Lake park just outside
> Sacremento. A fast, mostly non-technical course but a lot of fun. A few slightly technical spots
> (a small drop off a washed out section of trail; some deep, rock strewn mud puddles; and a sand
> trap); and several jumps. It was raining both before and after the race but the race itself was
> perfect.
>
> My friends all came in 3rd in their various categories (30-39 Beginner; 30-39 Sport-Female; 20-29
> Sport). None of them expected it.
>
> Brendon, who finished 3rd in the 20-29 Sport category would have gotten 1st! But he wasn't paying
> attention at the start when they said "Go through the starting area 3 times during your 2 laps,
> then double back around up ahead and hit the finish". Well, he got the start for the 3rd time but
> he thought that WAS the finish. The previous 5 miles he had been fighting to get ahead of the 2
> guys in front of him... had a good 30 seconds on them but stopped at the start and lost a minute.
> Both guys passed him up while he was trying to figure out where he had to go. Hah! Brendon was so
> irritated with himself. It was his first mtb race (he normally races cyclocross).
>
> After, we stopped by the Sac Brewing Company Oasis for some grub (I had a Cobb Pizza). We split a
> pitcher of Imperial Stout.

I hadn't heard there was a race in Folsom, I might have gone. Do you know what trail it was on? I
can't really think of any loops that are right by the lake (at least none that could be described as
flat and rolling).

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...> I hadn't heard there was a race in Folsom,
I might have gone. Do you
> know what trail it was on? I can't really think of any loops that are right by the lake (at least
> none that could be described as flat and rolling).
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

I think most of the course wasn't actually on marked trails. Much of it just seemed like walking
trails through the picnic grounds and such, a few short trails mixed in here and there, and
fireroads along the lake shore. Many times, the course almost doubled back on itself and each
direction was only separated by ropes. It was only a 10 mile course (plus maybe another mile to the
finish line). 1 loop for Novice/Beginner, 2 loops for Sport, and 3 for Expert. I don't think the
course really covered much ground.

Although the course didn't seem to be anything more than hiking and walking paths/trails, apparently
they are open to mountain biking normally.

It was (more specifically) at Granite Bay in Folsom Lake, SP. It was race 2 of 2 (the 2st being
Feb 23rd).

http://www.tbfracing.com/2003events.htm

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...> I hadn't heard there was a race in
> Folsom, I might have gone. Do you
> > know what trail it was on? I can't really think of any loops that are right by the lake (at
> > least none that could be described as flat and rolling).
> >
> > -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
>
> I think most of the course wasn't actually on marked trails. Much of it just seemed like walking
> trails through the picnic grounds and such, a few short trails mixed in here and there, and
> fireroads along the lake shore. Many times, the course almost doubled back on itself and each
> direction was only separated by ropes. It was only a 10 mile course (plus maybe another mile to
> the finish line). 1 loop for Novice/Beginner, 2 loops for Sport, and 3 for Expert. I don't think
> the course really covered much ground.
>
> Although the course didn't seem to be anything more than hiking and walking paths/trails,
> apparently they are open to mountain biking normally.
>
> It was (more specifically) at Granite Bay in Folsom Lake, SP. It was race 2 of 2 (the 2st being
> Feb 23rd).
>
> http://www.tbfracing.com/2003events.htm

Ahh, granite bay, I kindof suspected. I haven't ridden there because I have heard that the trails
are exactally as your described. Ok for a raceday, but sounded pretty boring for a weekend ride. I
guess most XC race courses are boring though, people would die on "interesting" courses :)

If you are ever looking for a ride partner in the central valley (Sac/ Auburn/ Folsom area mostly)
let me know.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ahh, granite bay, I kindof suspected. I haven't ridden there because I have heard that the trails
> are exactally as your described. Ok for a raceday, but sounded pretty boring for a weekend ride. I
> guess most XC race courses are boring though, people would die on "interesting" courses :)

Some of the courses I've seen (especially the Tahoe races) are pretty sweet trails and fairly
technical in places. Just depends on the race, methinks.

> If you are ever looking for a ride partner in the central valley (Sac/ Auburn/ Folsom area mostly)
> let me know.
>
> -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Cool deal! I ride up in Auburn every once in a while (not as often now that my gf doesn't live in
Sac). Love the Upper Lake Clementine Loop. :)

Same goes if you come down to the Bay Area. Weekends see us riding anywhere within 3 driving hours
of the East Bay.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > a raceday, but sounded pretty boring for a weekend ride. I guess most XC race courses are boring
> > though, people would die on "interesting" courses :)
>
> Some of the courses I've seen (especially the Tahoe races) are pretty sweet trails and fairly
> technical in places. Just depends on the race, methinks.

Must be, the few courses I've ridden were pretty tame.

> > If you are ever looking for a ride partner in the central valley (Sac/ Auburn/ Folsom area
> > mostly) let me know.
> >
> Cool deal! I ride up in Auburn every once in a while (not as often now that my gf doesn't live in
> Sac). Love the Upper Lake Clementine Loop. :)
>
> Same goes if you come down to the Bay Area. Weekends see us riding anywhere within 3 driving hours
> of the East Bay.

Then you are closer than I thought. I live in Stockton but mostly ride in the Folsom/ Auburn area
because my brother lives in Sac. I'm actually going to be riding Skeggs or something in the South
Bay area Friday afternoon because I'm working there that evening.

Clementine is one of my favorite loops in the Auburn area also, lately we've been riding it as
a double loop with Stagecoach or with Foresthill Divide because Clementine by itself isn't
enough mileage.

-- THe Ogre http://ogrehut.com

"Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Clementine is one of my favorite loops in the Auburn area also, lately we've been riding it as a
> double loop with Stagecoach or with Foresthill Divide because Clementine by itself isn't enough
> mileage.
>
> -- THe Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Yeah, we/I usually ride Upper Lake Clementine, Forest Hill Divide and Salmon Creek Falls one after
the next in line, with lunch at the Cool Pizza Parlor.
:) Haven't ridden Stagecoach yet, but I've heard it's fun.

--

FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com