RR: Random ponderings

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bomba, May 6, 2003.

  1. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the first
    half as it started raining.

    Will it rain? I'm sure I've missed a turn... oh, I have. Ooh, is that a deer? And is that a rabbit
    with it too? No, it's another tiny deer. Ahh, bless. Where's my crossbow? Hmm, can I clear that? Are
    X-Lite posts crap? Did I just not tighten up the bolts tight enough? Have I eaten that many pies
    that I'll break posts anyway? "The answer's 'D', Bob - all of the above." "When i am sad and weary
    When all my hope is gone I walk around my house and think of you with nothing on I have a list of
    things i go over in my mind When i can just sit right back and watch the world unwind" Have my fork
    bushings gone? Actually, Bonty Revolt ST2's are pretty crap in the wet... Is it better to hit a
    short, steep, rooty slope fast in a big gear and hope you have enough momentum, or hit it slow in a
    low gear and try and ride up it? Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible? What
    shall I have for dinner? Not as fit as I thought I was. Wonder if the old diver's trick of gobbing
    on my lenses will stop them fogging up... Have I really been out that long?

    Pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/ - some of them are a bit shaky, it's not easy taking
    still photos when you're panting like a nonce in Mothercare.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    > related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the first
    > half as it started raining.
    >
    > Will it rain? I'm sure I've missed a turn... oh, I have. Ooh, is that a deer? And is that a rabbit
    > with it too? No, it's another tiny deer. Ahh, bless. Where's my crossbow? Hmm, can I clear that?
    > Are X-Lite posts crap? Did I just not tighten up the bolts tight enough? Have I eaten that many
    > pies that I'll break posts anyway? "The answer's 'D', Bob - all of the above." "When i am sad and
    > weary When all my hope is gone I walk around my house and think of you with nothing on I have a
    > list of things i go over in my mind When i can just sit right back and watch the world unwind"
    > Have my fork bushings gone? Actually, Bonty Revolt ST2's are pretty crap in the wet... Is it
    > better to hit a short, steep, rooty slope fast in a big gear and hope you have enough momentum, or
    > hit it slow in a low gear and try and ride up it? Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots
    > - possible? What shall I have for dinner? Not as fit as I thought I was. Wonder if the old diver's
    > trick of gobbing on my lenses will stop them fogging up... Have I really been out that long?
    >
    > Pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/ - some of them are a bit shaky, it's not easy taking
    > still photos when you're panting like a nonce in Mothercare.

    Heh...yeah the silly ramblings that go through our heads on solo rides. We're never really alone as
    long as we listen to the voices in our heads. Sweet looking singletrack.

    Mike

  3. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 06 May 2003 22:20:32 +0200, bomba wrote:
    > Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    > related from this evening's ride.

    Good stuff. Reminds me a lot of my solo rides, especially when there's lots of climbing. Lots of
    time for the mind to wander. I notice the smells of the wet woods much more. I think about what
    might have been if Bob Marley hadn't died so young. I think about how hard harder this hill used to
    be when I first started. I think about how much easier it was when I was in shape(!). I think about
    how much sunlight there might be outside the woods. I find myself amazed at how I can enjoy
    something so strenuous.

    That's just what comes to mind from last night's ride.

  4. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    > related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the first
    > half as it started raining.

    Looks nice and woodsy - mint sauce calendar material..

    > Will it rain?

    If you brought a jacket- No, otherwise - Yes.

    > I'm sure I've missed a turn... oh, I have. Ooh, is that a deer? And is that a rabbit with it too?
    > No, it's another tiny deer. Ahh, bless. Where's my crossbow? Hmm, can I clear that?

    Probably, but a bit dodgy if you're out on your own. Well did you?

    > Are X-Lite posts crap?

    No comment.

    > Did I just not tighten up the bolts tight enough? Have I eaten that many pies that I'll break
    > posts anyway? "The answer's 'D', Bob - all of the above." Is it better to hit a short, steep,
    > rooty slope fast in a big gear and hope you have enough momentum, or hit it slow in a low gear
    > and try and ride up it?

    High gear with momentum. Of course either way with your flat pedals you don't have to worry about
    falling off if you stall. You DO have flat pedals - yes?

    > Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible?

    With Shauns tyres, Yes..

    > What shall I have for dinner?

    Pot noodle sandwich.

    > Not as fit as I thought I was. Wonder if the old diver's trick of gobbing on my lenses will stop
    > them fogging up... Have I really been out that long?
    >
    > Pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/ - some of them are a bit shaky, it's not easy taking
    > still photos when you're panting like a nonce in Mothercare.

    Cheers Bomba, nice RR spin.

    Steve E.

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    > > related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the
    > > first half as it started raining.
    >
    > Looks nice and woodsy - mint sauce calendar material..

    Oooo, pretty!

    > > Will it rain?
    >
    > If you brought a jacket- No, otherwise - Yes.

    I had a jacket when we went to Longridge. It rained? Still, know what you mean........

    > > I'm sure I've missed a turn... oh, I have. Ooh, is that a deer? And is that a rabbit with it
    > > too? No, it's another tiny deer. Ahh, bless. Where's my crossbow? Hmm, can I clear that?
    >
    > Probably, but a bit dodgy if you're out on your own. Well did you?

    Yeah, and WTF was it? Dead dear on the trail hmm?

    > > Are X-Lite posts crap?
    >
    > No comment.
    >
    > > Did I just not tighten up the bolts tight enough? Have I eaten that many pies that I'll break
    > > posts anyway? "The answer's 'D', Bob - all of the above." Is it better to hit a short, steep,
    > > rooty slope fast in a big gear and hope you have enough momentum, or hit it slow in a low gear
    > > and try and ride up it?
    >
    > High gear with momentum. Of course either way with your flat pedals you don't have to worry about
    > falling off if you stall. You DO have flat pedals - yes?

    Ahem........heh......!

    > > Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible?
    >
    > With Shauns tyres, Yes..

    He should oughta gets his own.......mebbe he can get a good deal if he gets big tyres and a set of
    flat peds at the same time........

    > > What shall I have for dinner?
    >
    > Pot noodle sandwich.

    You truly are a sick individual.

    > > Not as fit as I thought I was. Wonder if the old diver's trick of gobbing on my lenses will stop
    > > them fogging up... Have I really been out that long?
    > >
    > > Pics: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/ - some of them are a bit shaky, it's not easy
    > > taking still photos when you're panting like a nonce in Mothercare.
    > >

    > Cheers Bomba, nice RR spin.

    Aye - bet your head hurts now Jon, from all that thinking....

    Shaun aRe

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[) * wrote:

    >>Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    >>related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the first
    >>half as it started raining.
    >

    > Looks nice and woodsy - mint sauce calendar material..

    It is nice and woodsy, and most of the singletrack is empty too. I've been quite impressed with the
    local trails actually.

    >>Will it rain?
    >

    > If you brought a jacket- No, otherwise - Yes.

    Took a jacket. It rained. Didn't bother wearing it though.

    >>Hmm, can I clear that?
    >

    > Probably, but a bit dodgy if you're out on your own. Well did you?

    Yep, but didn't clear the uphill landing, which led to...

    >>Are X-Lite posts crap?
    >

    > No comment.

    Up until yesterday, I'd been quite impressed with mine. However, a couple of heavy landings on the
    nose knocked it downwards. Whether that's ruined all the notching inside, well, time will tell. It's
    a pity, I like to consider British stuff as some of the best in the world. I'll see how it lasts,
    but maybe an Alien next time (?)

    >>Is it better to hit a short, steep, rooty slope fast in a big gear and hope you have enough
    >>momentum, or hit it slow in a low gear and try and ride up it?
    >

    > High gear with momentum. Of course either way with your flat pedals you don't have to worry about
    > falling off if you stall. You DO have flat pedals - yes?

    Never miss an opportunity, do you? I don't have to worry about falling off if I stall anyway. We've
    been through this numerous times, but clipping in and out is as automatic for me as using flats.

    Still, I can take the 'criticism' from someone who has at least tried both. Unlike others I could
    mention...

    >>Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible?
    >

    > With Shauns tyres, Yes..

    I'll trade having to walk a little bit, rather than hauling round tractor tyres for the rest
    of the time.

    >>What shall I have for dinner?
    >

    > Pot noodle sandwich.

    Hmm, good choice. http://web.bham.ac.uk/s.m.stocks.cen/ListenToStum/PotNoodleOnToast/PotNoodle1.htm
    Unfortunately, the culinary genius of Pot Noodle has yet to extend to the continent. I do try and
    bring back a couple every now and again though.

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>Doesn't really deserve its own RR, but a selection of thoughts and ponderings that may or not be
    >>>related from this evening's ride. Also a few photos of my local trails - they only cover the
    >>>first half as it started raining.
    >>
    >>Looks nice and woodsy - mint sauce calendar material..
    >

    > Oooo, pretty!

    'Tis, isn't it?

    >>>Hmm, can I clear that?
    >>
    >>Probably, but a bit dodgy if you're out on your own. Well did you?
    >

    > Yeah, and WTF was it? Dead dear on the trail hmm?

    http://j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09.jpg I'll admit that if someone showed me that picture and told
    me they were having trouble clearing it, I'd laugh. The stream is only a couple of foot wide, but
    it's not easy. The bank drops away a couple of foot before too, so you generally have to leap well
    before the gap. Then, it does the same on the other side, so you tend to land on an upslope. To
    clean it nicely, you need to hop about 6 foot. Again, normally not a problem, but the gap is on a
    bend and the run up doesn't allow for any speed. You can't hit it with the speed you'd normally
    need, and even if you did, you'd end up in the bushes.

    It ends up more of a trials move, throwing your bike and following with your body, but that isn't
    such a great move when your saddle is set up for XC.

    >>>Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible?
    >>
    >>With Shauns tyres, Yes..
    >

    > He should oughta gets his own.......mebbe he can get a good deal if he gets big tyres and a set of
    > flat peds at the same time........

    Well, I have a set of 2.3's and several sets of flats in the cellar, but there's a reason they're
    not on the bike...

    >>>What shall I have for dinner?
    >>
    >>Pot noodle sandwich.
    >

    > You truly are a sick individual.

    Why? Pot Noodle's scrumptious.

    >>Cheers Bomba, nice RR spin.
    >

    > Aye - bet your head hurts now Jon, from all that thinking....

    My brain is forever pondering useless conundrums anyway. Being on the bike just tends to make them
    more bike-oriented.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > spademan o---[) * wrote:

    > >>Are X-Lite posts crap?
    > >

    > > No comment.
    >
    > Up until yesterday, I'd been quite impressed with mine. However, a couple of heavy landings on the
    > nose knocked it downwards. Whether that's ruined all the notching inside, well, time will tell.
    > It's a pity, I like to consider British stuff as some of the best in the world. I'll see how it
    > lasts, but maybe an Alien next time (?)

    X-tas-y make a decent one at a reasonable price with a good 2 bolt clamp (rocker clamp). My bike
    (all 36 lb of it) fell on the seat from over 15 feet up, landed on the nose of the seat. Got bent
    seat rails, torn vinyl, but the seat never moved (can't do I suppose, without snapping the
    bolts....) and the (rather long and slightly <cough> overextended seatpost was fine. Google search
    turned up zilch though.

    > Never miss an opportunity, do you? I don't have to worry about falling off if I stall anyway.
    > We've been through this numerous times, but clipping in and out is as automatic for me as
    > using flats.
    >
    > Still, I can take the 'criticism' from someone who has at least tried both. Unlike others I could
    > mention...

    OK, but if Steve has tried both, and I agree with him, that makes my argument just as valid,
    errmmmm..........

    > >>Oh, it's the headset. Uphill, stepped wet roots - possible?
    > >

    > > With Shauns tyres, Yes..
    >
    > I'll trade having to walk a little bit, rather than hauling round tractor tyres for the rest of
    > the time.

    Well, I only have to haul mine on the bike, so, unlike you, at least I can leave mine behind if
    I want to.

    > >>What shall I have for dinner?
    > >

    > > Pot noodle sandwich.
    >
    > Hmm, good choice.

    http://web.bham.ac.uk/s.m.stocks.cen/ListenToStum/PotNoodleOnToast/PotNoodle
    1.htm
    > Unfortunately, the culinary genius of Pot Noodle has yet to extend to the continent. I do try
    > and bring back a couple every now and again
    though.

    You're as sick as each other........

    Shaun aRe

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>Looks nice and woodsy - mint sauce calendar material..
    > >

    > > Oooo, pretty!
    >
    > 'Tis, isn't it?

    Yup! Most of the stuff I've seen like that over here is footpath only -( though there is some of
    that sort of trail in Billinge Woods ',;~}~ just not a lot......

    > > Yeah, and WTF was it? Dead dear on the trail hmm?
    >
    > http://j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09.jpg I'll admit that if someone showed me that picture and
    > told me they were having trouble clearing it, I'd laugh. The stream is only a couple of foot wide,
    > but it's not easy. The bank drops away a couple of foot before too, so you generally have to leap
    > well before the gap. Then, it does the same on the other side, so you tend to land on an upslope.

    Are we talking take off on the furthest bank (from angle of picture) or nearest? Furthest bank
    looks lower.

    > To clean it nicely, you need to hop about 6 foot. Again, normally not a problem, but the gap is on
    > a bend and the run up doesn't allow for any speed. You can't hit it with the speed you'd normally
    > need, and even if you did, you'd end up in the bushes.
    >
    > It ends up more of a trials move, throwing your bike and following with your body, but that isn't
    > such a great move when your saddle is set up for XC.

    Ouch! Could you not just up the front, put it down, then lift the rear? Or is it too much
    of a slope?

    > >>With Shauns tyres, Yes..
    > >

    > > He should oughta gets his own.......mebbe he can get a good deal if he
    gets
    > > big tyres and a set of flat peds at the same time........
    >
    > Well, I have a set of 2.3's and several sets of flats in the cellar, but there's a reason they're
    > not on the bike...

    Weight weenie XC freak roadie wannabe.......

    > >>Pot noodle sandwich.
    > >

    > > You truly are a sick individual.
    >
    > Why? Pot Noodle's scrumptious.

    Like stringy shit.

    > >>Cheers Bomba, nice RR spin.
    > >

    > > Aye - bet your head hurts now Jon, from all that thinking....
    >
    > My brain is forever pondering useless conundrums anyway. Being on the bike just tends to make them
    > more bike-oriented.

    Aye, tellmeboudit "Always thinkin' me!", heheheheh.........

    Shaun aRe

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > X-tas-y make a decent one at a reasonable price with a good 2 bolt clamp (rocker clamp). My bike
    > (all 36 lb of it) fell on the seat from over 15 feet up, landed on the nose of the seat. Got bent
    > seat rails, torn vinyl, but the seat never moved (can't do I suppose, without snapping the
    > bolts....) and the (rather long and slightly <cough> overextended seatpost was fine. Google search
    > turned up zilch though.

    I'll be snobby and say there is no way on earth I will buy something from a company that has zero
    web presence. Thomson would be the other option, but they ain't British...

    >>Never miss an opportunity, do you? I don't have to worry about falling off if I stall anyway.
    >>We've been through this numerous times, but clipping in and out is as automatic for me as
    >>using flats.
    >>
    >>Still, I can take the 'criticism' from someone who has at least tried both. Unlike others I could
    >>mention...
    >

    > OK, but if Steve has tried both, and I agree with him, that makes my argument just as valid,
    > errmmmm..........

    Er... no.

    >l trade having to walk a little bit, rather than hauling round
    >>tractor tyres for the rest of the time.
    >

    > Well, I only have to haul mine on the bike, so, unlike you, at least I can leave mine behind if I
    > want to.

    That would damage your rims.

    > http://web.bham.ac.uk/s.m.stocks.cen/ListenToStum/PotNoodleOnToast/PotNoodle
    > 1.htm
    >
    >> Unfortunately, the culinary genius of Pot Noodle has yet to extend to the continent. I do try
    >> and bring back a couple every now and again
    >
    > though.
    >
    > You're as sick as each other........

    But it's lovely...

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > X-tas-y make a decent one at a reasonable price with a good 2 bolt clamp (rocker clamp). My bike
    > > (all 36 lb of it) fell on the seat from over 15
    feet
    > > up, landed on the nose of the seat. Got bent seat rails, torn vinyl, but
    the
    > > seat never moved (can't do I suppose, without snapping the bolts....)
    and
    > > the (rather long and slightly <cough> overextended seatpost was fine.
    Google
    > > search turned up zilch though.
    >
    > I'll be snobby and say there is no way on earth I will buy something from a company that has zero
    > web presence.

    Just 'cos I couldn't find 'em, doesn't mean to say they ain't there - I'm not the world's best
    googler, heheheheh..........

    > Thomson would be the other option, but they ain't British...
    >
    > >>Never miss an opportunity, do you? I don't have to worry about falling off if I stall anyway.
    > >>We've been through this numerous times, but clipping in and out is as automatic for me as using
    > >>flats.
    > >>
    > >>Still, I can take the 'criticism' from someone who has at least tried both. Unlike others I
    > >>could mention...
    > >

    > > OK, but if Steve has tried both, and I agree with him, that makes my argument just as valid,
    > > errmmmm..........
    >
    > Er... no.

    Err, duh! Course it does - he's right, and I'm right, because we agree - simple logic. Ner.

    > >l trade having to walk a little bit, rather than hauling round
    > >>tractor tyres for the rest of the time.
    > >

    > > Well, I only have to haul mine on the bike, so, unlike you, at least I
    can
    > > leave mine behind if I want to.
    >
    > That would damage your rims.

    OK, edited for the dumkopf Jon:

    "Well, I only have to haul mine on the bike, so, unlike you, at least I can leave mine behind with
    the bike if I want to, you fat bastard."

    HTH.

    Shaun aRe ',;~}~

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>Yeah, and WTF was it? Dead dear on the trail hmm?
    >>
    >>http://j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09.jpg I'll admit that if someone showed me that picture and
    >>told me they were having trouble clearing it, I'd laugh. The stream is only a couple of foot wide,
    >>but it's not easy. The bank drops away a couple of foot before too, so you generally have to leap
    >>well before the gap. Then, it does the same on the other side, so you tend to land on an upslope.
    >

    > Are we talking take off on the furthest bank (from angle of picture) or nearest? Furthest bank
    > looks lower.

    Taking off from the the nearest side. It's just perspective, they're both about the same height. To
    give you some idea of distance, I've stuck on a couple of white lines - these are the breaks of the
    banks and that's the distance needed for a clean clearance:
    http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09a.jpg

    >>To clean it nicely, you need to hop about 6 foot. Again, normally not a problem, but the gap is on
    >>a bend and the run up doesn't allow for any speed. You can't hit it with the speed you'd normally
    >>need, and even if you did, you'd end up in the bushes.
    >>
    >>It ends up more of a trials move, throwing your bike and following with your body, but that isn't
    >>such a great move when your saddle is set up for XC.
    >

    > Ouch! Could you not just up the front, put it down, then lift the rear? Or is it too much of
    > a slope?

    Too much of a slope. As soon as the front hits the other side, you'd stop, and the rear would end up
    in the stream.

    >>Well, I have a set of 2.3's and several sets of flats in the cellar, but there's a reason they're
    >>not on the bike...
    >

    > Weight weenie XC freak roadie wannabe.......

    Actually, some of the flats probably weigh less than the SPuDs.

    >>My brain is forever pondering useless conundrums anyway. Being on the bike just tends to make them
    >>more bike-oriented.
    >

    > Aye, tellmeboudit "Always thinkin' me!", heheheheh.........

    Not sure I want to know what you're thinking about though... :)

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>http://j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09.jpg I'll admit that if someone

    > > Are we talking take off on the furthest bank (from angle of picture) or nearest? Furthest bank
    > > looks lower.
    >
    > Taking off from the the nearest side. It's just perspective, they're both about the same height.

    Thought it my be, which is why I asked.

    > To give you some idea of distance, I've stuck on a couple of white lines - these are the breaks of
    > the banks and that's the distance needed for a clean clearance:
    > http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ratingen/09a.jpg

    Cheers - got it.

    > >>To clean it nicely, you need to hop about 6 foot. Again, normally not a problem, but the gap is
    > >>on a bend and the run up doesn't allow for any speed. You can't hit it with the speed you'd
    > >>normally need, and even if you did, you'd end up in the bushes.
    > >>
    > >>It ends up more of a trials move, throwing your bike and following with your body, but that
    > >>isn't such a great move when your saddle is set up for XC.
    > >

    > > Ouch! Could you not just up the front, put it down, then lift the rear?
    Or
    > > is it too much of a slope?
    >
    > Too much of a slope. As soon as the front hits the other side, you'd stop, and the rear would end
    > up in the stream.

    Furry muff, wet arse.....

    > >>Well, I have a set of 2.3's and several sets of flats in the cellar, but there's a reason
    > >>they're not on the bike...
    > >

    > > Weight weenie XC freak roadie wannabe.......
    >
    > Actually, some of the flats probably weigh less than the SPuDs.

    Heheheheh..........

    > >>My brain is forever pondering useless conundrums anyway. Being on the bike just tends to make
    > >>them more bike-oriented.
    > >

    > > Aye, tellmeboudit "Always thinkin' me!", heheheheh.........
    >
    > Not sure I want to know what you're thinking about though... :)

    Pure deviosity and evility old fruit >',;~}~