RR: Rattlesnake run

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Cleanbean, May 19, 2003.

  1. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    I usually hear them moving through the brush and don't see many but I did over the weekend. Me and
    Speedracer fall in behind these two gentlemen that look to be over 50 keeping a moderate pace. Speed
    is in front and I'm hoping he doesn't follow too close.....Woe!! is the next thing I hear with
    everyone in front lockin it up. The front two sliding to the left and Speed detouring up the side of
    the bank. (following too close). The next thing I hear, "Is that a gofer snake"?. I walk over to
    investigate and first spot the diamond shape head. Caution along with a chill go up and down my
    spine and about the time I spot the rattles that familiar noise starts....RATTLE. The reptile is
    about 2.5" wide and around 4-4.5 ft. stretched across the trail getting a sun tan. No one really
    wants to kill it so we let nature continue it's course and go on our way. I'll be watching that
    section of trail real close from now on.

    This brings me to a question. If bit and after using the snake bite kit do I lay in the 98F heat and
    call 911, ride easy for 10 min. to trailhead, walk for about 20 min. back to the trailhead, or go
    lay in the water and call 911? What would you do? Keep in mind that my heartrate would probably
    already be at 60-70% of max. Never being bit I wonder if I could stand the pain, ride in easy and
    hope EMS has the antivenom at the trailhead?

    Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I usually hear them moving through the brush and don't see many but I did over the weekend. Me and
    > Speedracer fall in behind these two gentlemen that look to be over 50 keeping a moderate pace.
    > Speed is in front and I'm hoping he doesn't follow too close.....Woe!! is the next thing I hear
    > with everyone in front lockin it up. The front two sliding to the left and Speed detouring up the
    > side of the bank. (following too close). The next thing I hear, "Is that a gofer snake"?. I walk
    > over to investigate and first spot the diamond shape head. Caution along with a chill go up and
    > down my spine and about the time I spot the rattles that familiar noise starts....RATTLE. The
    > reptile is about 2.5" wide and around 4-4.5 ft. stretched across the trail getting a sun tan. No
    > one really wants to kill it so we let nature continue it's course and go on our way. I'll be
    > watching that section of trail real close from now on.
    >
    > This brings me to a question. If bit and after using the snake bite kit do I lay in the 98F heat
    > and call 911, ride easy for 10 min. to trailhead, walk for about 20 min. back to the trailhead, or
    > go lay in the water and call 911? What would you do? Keep in mind that my heartrate would probably
    > already be at 60-70% of max. Never being bit I wonder if I could stand the pain, ride in easy and
    > hope EMS has the antivenom at the trailhead?
    >

    > Cleanbean still doing it in Texas

    That's some trail critter, Texas style! Re your question, that's a good one. I'll bet the general
    rule of thumb is to not ride out, but sit tight, so you don't vigorously stimulate blood flow &
    circulate the venom toward your heart, which is a no-no. I'd like to hear from somebody who knows
    Jack on the topic.

    Paladin

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I usually hear them moving through the brush and don't see many but I did over the weekend. Me
    >> and Speedracer fall in behind these two gentlemen that look to be over 50 keeping a moderate
    >> pace. Speed is in front and I'm hoping he doesn't follow too close.....Woe!! is the next thing I
    >> hear with everyone in front lockin it up. The front two sliding to the left and Speed detouring
    >> up the side of the bank. (following too close). The next thing I hear, "Is that a gofer snake"?.
    >> I walk over to investigate and first spot the diamond shape head. Caution along with a chill go
    >> up and down my spine and about the time I spot the rattles that familiar noise starts....RATTLE.
    >> The reptile is about 2.5" wide and around 4-4.5 ft. stretched across the trail getting a sun tan.
    >> No one really wants to kill it so we let nature continue it's course and go on our way. I'll be
    >> watching that section of trail real close from now on.
    >>
    >> This brings me to a question. If bit and after using the snake bite kit do I lay in the 98F heat
    >> and call 911, ride easy for 10 min. to trailhead, walk for about 20 min. back to the trailhead,
    >> or go lay in the water and call 911? What would you do? Keep in mind that my heartrate would
    >> probably already be at 60-70% of max. Never being bit I wonder if I could stand the pain, ride in
    >> easy and hope EMS has the antivenom at the trailhead?
    >>

    >> Cleanbean still doing it in Texas
    >

    > That's some trail critter, Texas style! Re your question, that's a good one. I'll bet the general
    > rule of thumb is to not ride out, but sit tight, so you don't vigorously stimulate blood flow &
    > circulate the venom toward your heart, which is a no-no. I'd like to hear from somebody who knows
    > Jack on the topic.
    >
    > Paladin

    first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom Exctractor, sort of a reverse
    syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry, immobilize if possible,
    and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with pen for ER.

    Penny

  4. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> I usually hear them moving through the brush and don't see many but I did over the weekend.
    > >> {snip}

    > > That's some trail critter, Texas style! Re your question, that's a good one. I'll bet the
    > > general rule of thumb is to not ride out, but sit tight, so you don't vigorously stimulate blood
    > > flow & circulate the venom toward your heart, which is a no-no. I'd like to hear from somebody
    > > who knows Jack on the topic.
    > >
    > > Paladin
    >
    > first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom
    Exctractor,
    > sort of a reverse syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry,
    > immobilize if possible, and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with pen for ER.

    Remove jewelry, Gracie? That so the EMT's get some trail swag as sort of a tip? :)

    Bill "today's ride first in a week WITHOUT seeing a rattler" S.

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > > > "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > > That's some trail critter, Texas style! Re your question, that's a good one. I'll bet the
    > > > general rule of thumb is to not ride out, but sit tight, so you don't vigorously stimulate
    > > > blood flow & circulate the venom toward your heart, which is a no-no. I'd like to hear from
    > > > somebody who knows Jack on the topic.
    > > >
    > > > Paladin
    > >
    > > first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom
    > Exctractor,
    > > sort of a reverse syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry,
    > > immobilize if possible, and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with pen for ER.
    >
    > Remove jewelry, Gracie? That so the EMT's get some trail swag as sort of
    > tip? :)

    Because if you don't, in conjunction with venom induced swelling, asphyxiation can occur, as can
    loss of appendages due to highly restricted blood flow, but you knew that.............

    Shaun aRe

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:47:42 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

    > first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom Exctractor, sort of a reverse
    > syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry, immobilize if possible,
    > and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with pen for ER.

    Seems the point was this: since he's on a bike, he has to CHOOSE whether to immobilize *OR* get to
    the EMS as fast as possible.

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni thoughtfully penned:
    > "Penny S.">>
    >> first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom Exctractor, sort of a reverse
    >> syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry, immobilize if possible,
    >> and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with pen for ER.
    >
    > Remove jewelry, Gracie? That so the EMT's get some trail swag as sort of a tip? :) a rattler" S.

    no--- that's in case of swelling.. .nothing like them having to try and cut a ring off when the hand
    is swelling...

    Penny

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB thoughtfully penned:
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:47:42 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    >
    >> first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom Extractor, sort of a reverse
    >> syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry, immobilize if possible,
    >> and get to EMS as fas as possible. Mark bite with pen for ER.
    >
    > Seems the point was this: since he's on a bike, he has to CHOOSE whether to immobilize *OR* get to
    > the EMS as fast as possible.

    Depends on how far out you are I guess, and whether your local bike patrol is around, and whether
    they have a trailer gurney type thing,

    P.

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom
    > > Exctractor,
    > > > sort of a reverse syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay
    calm,
    > > > remove any jewelry, immobilize if possible, and get to EMS as fas as possilbe. Mark bite with
    > > > pen for ER.
    > >
    > > Remove jewelry, Gracie? That so the EMT's get some trail swag as sort
    of
    > > tip? :)
    >
    > Because if you don't, in conjunction with venom induced swelling, asphyxiation can occur, as can
    > loss of appendages due to highly restricted blood flow, but you knew that.............

    So one should remove one's rings from ALL one's appendages if one is bitten by a snake.

    Bill "on notice" S.

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Exctractor,
    > calm,
    > > >
    > > > Remove jewelry, Gracie? That so the EMT's get some trail swag as sort
    > of
    > > > tip? :)
    > >
    > > Because if you don't, in conjunction with venom induced swelling, asphyxiation can occur, as can
    > > loss of appendages due to highly
    restricted
    > > blood flow, but you knew that.............
    >
    > So one should remove one's rings from ALL one's appendages if one is
    bitten
    > by a snake.

    Yes - even your cock-ring Bill.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    > BB thoughtfully penned:
    > > On Mon, 19 May 2003 20:47:42 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
    > >
    > >> first of all snake bite kits are passe`, you want a Sawyer Venom Extractor, sort of a reverse
    > >> syringe device. Then, the basic rules are: stay calm, remove any jewelry, immobilize if
    > >> possible, and get to EMS as fas as possible. Mark bite with pen for ER.
    > >
    > > Seems the point was this: since he's on a bike, he has to CHOOSE whether to immobilize *OR* get
    > > to the EMS as fast as possible.
    >
    > Depends on how far out you are I guess, and whether your local bike patrol is around, and whether
    > they have a trailer gurney type thing,
    >
    > P.

    The area in which I saw the snake is about a 10 min. ride at easy pace to a point where EMS could
    get to. You would think the only way to really get bit by said reptile would be to be stopped and
    get bit by surprise or fall on top of one getting bit. I guess one would really not expect it but it
    is entirely possible. There are very few Mtbers where I ride and no patrols. You would think that
    with the heart rate already up around 150-160 bpm that to be still would be the best bet. Water down
    the head to cool down and slow heart rate. Landing a helicopter would not be out of the question
    since there are some open areas closer then the trailhead. I think I'd mention that to 911 if
    called. I just might get one of those venom extractors too!

    Cleanbean

  12. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in news:ZNsya.955$%[email protected]:

    >> BB thoughtfully penned:

    >> > Seems the point was this: since he's on a bike, he has to CHOOSE whether to immobilize *OR* get
    >> > to the EMS as fast as possible.
    >>
    >> Depends on how far out you are I guess, and whether your local bike patrol is around, and whether
    >> they have a trailer gurney type thing,
    >>
    >> P.
    >>
    > The area in which I saw the snake is about a 10 min. ride at easy pace to a point where EMS could
    > get to. You would think the only way to really get bit by said reptile would be to be stopped and
    > get bit by surprise or fall on top of one getting bit. I guess one would really not expect it but
    > it is entirely possible. There are very few Mtbers where I ride and no patrols. You would think
    > that with the heart rate already up around 150-160 bpm that to be still would be the best bet.
    > Water down the head to cool down and slow heart rate. Landing a helicopter would not be out of the
    > question since there are some open areas closer then the trailhead. I think I'd mention that to
    > 911 if called. I just might get one of those venom extractors too!
    >
    > Cleanbean

    Bst bet is not to ride alone. The main reason most people get bi by snakes is because they mess with
    them. If you see a snake ont he trail, stop a good distance away and alert anyone coming down the
    trail. With a few people around a snake will usually move off the trail into a more secluded area.
    Do NOT try to move the snake off of the trail or kill it. You are not the crocodile hunter and the
    snake will bite you. Also, the cut and suck poison extraction method doesn't really work that well.
    Best bet is to get medical help ASAP.