RR: Red Hills (first ride with the TROGS)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trekkie Dad, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    While the Stockton bike club was out riding from Ione, the Boathouse, (or Livermore as Dr. Evil
    proposed), I elected to join the TROGS last Saturday for a mountain bike ride at Red Hills. There I
    met TROGS Alex, Dennis, Fred, and John; and they led me through 15 miles of heaven and hell. Heaven,
    because of the panoramic views, and hell because of the uncompromising rocky terrain. Though I'm a
    bit battered and and bruised, I had a great time and discovered some skill I didn't know (or
    remember) I had.

    Alex pretty much led the way, and if he's as good on the road as he is on the trail, he'll give the
    SBC boys a run for their money when he decides to come out and ride with us on the road.

    Dennis I had wanted to meet for a long time, having known him from his reputation on the internet.

    Fred was the only one close to me in age. He seemed to be the quietest one. Either that, or I never
    seemed to be in earshot.

    John's favorite word was "entertaining"--which means you'd better pay attention or you'll find
    yourself otb.

    The ride was followed by a Chinese food buffet in Oakdale.

    I am officially a TROGS now, and my next mtb ride will likely be with the TROGS at Henry Coe
    on Saturday.

    Trogs Website: http://www.trogspace.com

    Red Hills info: http://trogssite.tripod.com/trogs/id21.html

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:41:21 GMT, Trekkie Dad wrote:

    > I am officially a TROGS now, and my next mtb ride will likely be with the TROGS at Henry Coe on
    > Saturday.

    Ah, finally someobody got you off that road bike! ;-)

  3. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > While the Stockton bike club was out riding from Ione, the Boathouse, (or Livermore as Dr. Evil
    > proposed), I elected to join the TROGS last Saturday for a mountain bike ride at Red Hills. There
    > I met TROGS Alex, Dennis, Fred, and John; and they led me through 15 miles of heaven and hell.
    > Heaven, because of the panoramic views, and hell because of the uncompromising rocky terrain.
    > Though I'm a bit battered and and bruised, I had a great time and discovered some skill I didn't
    > know (or remember) I had.

    You forgot to mention the soaking you got on the creek crossing. Or the fact that 3 of the 5 of us
    wound up crashing at one point or another. I think the big problem with the creek crossing was that
    you thought about it too much.

    > Dennis I had wanted to meet for a long time, having known him from his reputation on the internet.

    None of those accusations have been proven, it was all a smear campaign. And all of the animals
    involved were fine after therapy.

    > Fred was the only one close to me in age. He seemed to be the quietest one. Either that, or I
    > never seemed to be in earshot.
    >
    > John's favorite word was "entertaining"--which means you'd better pay attention or you'll find
    > yourself otb.
    >
    > The ride was followed by a Chinese food buffet in Oakdale.

    I think next time we'll hit the deli with Fred, the buffet was overrated.

    > I am officially a TROGS now, and my next mtb ride will likely be with the TROGS at Henry Coe on
    > Saturday.

    See you at Coe, it should be a great ride.

    -- Dennis (trogs by association, Ogre by Nature :) http://ogrehut.net

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:41:21 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >While the Stockton bike club was out riding from Ione, the Boathouse, (or Livermore as Dr. Evil
    >proposed), I elected to join the TROGS last Saturday for a mountain bike ride at Red Hills. There I
    >met TROGS Alex, Dennis, Fred, and John; and they led me through 15 miles of heaven and hell.
    >Heaven, because of the panoramic views, and hell because of the uncompromising rocky terrain.
    >Though I'm a bit battered and and bruised, I had a great time and discovered some skill I didn't
    >know (or remember) I had.
    >
    >Alex pretty much led the way, and if he's as good on the road as he is on the trail, he'll give the
    >SBC boys a run for their money when he decides to come out and ride with us on the road.
    >
    >Dennis I had wanted to meet for a long time, having known him from his reputation on the internet.
    >
    >Fred was the only one close to me in age. He seemed to be the quietest one. Either that, or I never
    >seemed to be in earshot.
    >
    >John's favorite word was "entertaining"--which means you'd better pay attention or you'll find
    >yourself otb.
    >
    >The ride was followed by a Chinese food buffet in Oakdale.
    >
    >I am officially a TROGS now, and my next mtb ride will likely be with the TROGS at Henry Coe on
    >Saturday.
    >
    >Trogs Website: http://www.trogspace.com
    >
    >Red Hills info: http://trogssite.tripod.com/trogs/id21.html

    Nice, Bill(WTF TROGS)Wheeler ...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to
    bring them all and on the trails pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

  5. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    > You forgot to mention the soaking you got on the creek crossing. Or the fact that 3 of the 5 of us
    > wound up crashing at one point or another. I think the big problem with the creek crossing was
    > that you thought about it too much.

    Damn, you would have have to bring that up! It was the only crossing I had actually scouted first to
    plan a line. Now, who was it that fell in the mud hole?

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  6. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Trekkie Dad retorted :
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (The
    > Ogre) wrote:
    >
    >> You forgot to mention the soaking you got on the creek crossing. Or the fact that 3 of the 5 of
    >> us wound up crashing at one point or another. I think the big problem with the creek crossing was
    >> that you thought about it too much.
    >
    > Damn, you would have have to bring that up! It was the only crossing I had actually scouted first
    > to plan a line. Now, who was it that fell in the mud hole?
    >
    > TD

    cookie and sporkie ride again. I thought that guy talking smack to each other was a made up
    phenomena, sort of like chicks having catfights with mascara brushes...

    http://teamsmack.org/ride/ride1.htm

  7. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (The
    > Ogre) wrote:
    >
    > > You forgot to mention the soaking you got on the creek crossing. Or the fact that 3 of the 5 of
    > > us wound up crashing at one point or another. I think the big problem with the creek crossing
    > > was that you thought about it too much.
    >
    > Damn, you would have have to bring that up! It was the only crossing I had actually scouted first
    > to plan a line. Now, who was it that fell in the mud hole?

    John fell in the mudhole. I launched over the bars trying to take a log at 15 MPH. Get you facts
    straight :)

    -- The Ogre

  8. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    > Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<trekkiedad-
    > [email protected]>...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (The Ogre)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > You forgot to mention the soaking you got on the creek crossing. Or the fact that 3 of the 5
    > > > of us wound up crashing at one point or another. I think the big problem with the creek
    > > > crossing was that you thought about it too much.
    > >
    > > Damn, you would have have to bring that up! It was the only crossing I had actually scouted
    > > first to plan a line. Now, who was it that fell in the mud hole?
    >
    > John fell in the mudhole. I launched over the bars trying to take a log at 15 MPH. Get you facts
    > straight :)
    >
    > -- The Ogre

    Hey, Dennis, I only asked because I didn't remember who it was. I wasn't implying that it was you,
    but thanks anyway for revealing your own crash.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  9. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > While the Stockton bike club was out riding from Ione, the Boathouse, (or Livermore as Dr. Evil
    > proposed), I elected to join the TROGS last Saturday for a mountain bike ride at Red Hills. There
    > I met TROGS Alex, Dennis, Fred, and John; and they led me through 15 miles of heaven and hell.
    > Heaven, because of the panoramic views, and hell because of the uncompromising rocky terrain.
    > Though I'm a bit battered and and bruised, I had a great time and discovered some skill I didn't
    > know (or remember) I had.
    >
    > Alex pretty much led the way, and if he's as good on the road as he is on the trail, he'll give
    > the SBC boys a run for their money when he decides to come out and ride with us on the road.
    >
    > Dennis I had wanted to meet for a long time, having known him from his reputation on the internet.
    >
    > Fred was the only one close to me in age. He seemed to be the quietest one. Either that, or I
    > never seemed to be in earshot.
    >
    > John's favorite word was "entertaining"--which means you'd better pay attention or you'll find
    > yourself otb.
    >
    > The ride was followed by a Chinese food buffet in Oakdale.
    >
    > I am officially a TROGS now, and my next mtb ride will likely be with the TROGS at Henry Coe on
    > Saturday.
    >
    > Trogs Website: http://www.trogspace.com
    >
    > Red Hills info: http://trogssite.tripod.com/trogs/id21.html

    Wow. You mean you can actually mountain bike with other people? I've been riding solo for so long if
    someone actually rode with me, at some point, I'd think they were following me.....................

    Great RR. Even the mangled crossing sounded like fun.

    Marty