RR: Road again but with mtb. relevance

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Doug Taylor, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    Still raining in the northeast and the trails are not rideable.

    So, another road ride in drizzle/rain conditions this a.m., with one twist. One steep climb by road
    standards (13.5% grade for about .7 mile) not only was wet but still had patches of sand left over
    from winter road maintenance.

    Only rarely climbing on a road bike do you encounter such conditions as rear wheel spinning and/or
    front wheel coming off the ground, which, as we know, are commonplace climbing steep stuff off-road.
    Mostly, there are very few paved roads steep enough for either to occur. Off-road, we climb more
    gnarly grades, and learn instinctively and instantly to shift mass fore and aft to keep the rubber
    on the ground, traction, and balance, so as to clean the hill without having to dismount.

    So, I'm climbing standing in the wet and sand, and my rear wheel spun more than a few times up this
    grade. I figure if I didn't have an off-road backround, I wouldn't have had a clue how shift back
    quickly but smoothly so as to get traction and keep moving . I probably would have mashed and laid
    rubber, and ended up off the bike and walking. Particularly demeaning for a roadie.

    --dt

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:34:56 -0500, Doug Taylor wrote:

    > So, I'm climbing standing in the wet and sand, and my rear wheel spun more than a few times up
    > this grade. I figure if I didn't have an off-road backround, I wouldn't have had a clue how shift
    > back quickly but smoothly so as to get traction and keep moving.

    I don't do a lot of road riding (and when I do, its on an MTB), but I've found that MTB skills
    occasionally help when the road is not so clean & smooth. I've also found that road riding has
    helped me know the most efficient gearing (lots of time to focus on that while road riding, since
    boredom is the main challenge).

    Oregon's had rain for 28 days straight. Its finally slowed some so I can get in some pre-season
    riding on wet pavement. No rain yesterday, and I added in some fireroad miles. Its climbing about
    80-90% of the time (5mph up, 30mph down), and I'm pretty sore! Guess I'm getting old.

  3. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't do a lot of road riding

    Well, I do. Six of us had a great road ride today from Jamestown, CA to Coulterville and back. 58
    breathtaking miles with 5100' of climbing. The highlight was returning along Marshes Flat Road which
    gave a feeling of remoteness and beauty rivalling many a mountain bike trail. 80F high, wildflowers
    and trees in full bloom, creeks trickling down stony courses--well, you get the picture.

    Great Mexican food in Jamestown afterward.

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't do a lot of road riding
    >
    > Well, I do. Six of us had a great road ride today from Jamestown, CA to Coulterville and back. 58
    > breathtaking miles with 5100' of climbing. The highlight was returning along Marshes Flat Road
    > which gave a feeling of remoteness and beauty rivalling many a mountain bike trail. 80F high,
    > wildflowers and trees in full bloom, creeks trickling down stony courses--well, you get the
    > picture.
    >
    > Great Mexican food in Jamestown afterward.
    >
    > TD

    Come now boys! Y'all just scarin' me now... all this stuff 'n' nonsense 'bout road ridin'...
    --
    Westie

  5. Trekkie Dad

    Trekkie Dad Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Trekkie Dad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, BB <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I don't do a lot of road riding
    > >
    > > Well, I do. Six of us had a great road ride today from Jamestown, CA to Coulterville and back.
    > > 58 breathtaking miles with 5100' of climbing. The highlight was returning along Marshes Flat
    > > Road which gave a feeling of remoteness and beauty rivalling many a mountain bike trail. 80F
    > > high, wildflowers and trees in full bloom, creeks trickling down stony courses--well, you get
    > > the picture.
    > >
    > > Great Mexican food in Jamestown afterward.
    > >
    > > TD
    >

    > Come now boys! Y'all just scarin' me now... all this stuff 'n' nonsense 'bout road ridin'...
    > --
    > Westie

    You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

    TD

    --
    [email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
    http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request

  6. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Come now boys! Y'all just scarin' me now... all this stuff 'n' nonsense 'bout road ridin'...

    Well, where I live the trails are covered with 4 inches of new snow on top of 4 inches of mud. The
    roads are clear, as is the only choice if you want to ride a bike and not piss off IMBA, the people
    who maintain the trails, and anyone who rides them after the soil dries up in 3 or 4 weeks.

    Surely you're suggesting I ride a bike trainer?

    --dt

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Still raining in the northeast and the trails are not rideable.
    >
    > So, another road ride in drizzle/rain conditions this a.m., with one twist. One steep climb by
    > road standards (13.5% grade for about .7 mile) not only was wet but still had patches of sand left
    > over from winter road maintenance.
    >
    > Only rarely climbing on a road bike do you encounter such conditions as rear wheel spinning and/or
    > front wheel coming off the ground, which, as we know, are commonplace climbing steep stuff
    > off-road. Mostly, there are very few paved roads steep enough for either to occur. Off-road, we
    > climb more gnarly grades, and learn instinctively and instantly to shift mass fore and aft to keep
    > the rubber on the ground, traction, and balance, so as to clean the hill without having to
    > dismount.
    >
    > So, I'm climbing standing in the wet and sand, and my rear wheel spun more than a few times up
    > this grade. I figure if I didn't have an off-road backround, I wouldn't have had a clue how shift
    > back quickly but smoothly so as to get traction and keep moving . I probably would have mashed and
    > laid rubber, and ended up off the bike and walking. Particularly demeaning for a roadie.
    >
    > --dt

    Maybe you could hire a shaman to do a "no rain" dance. I rode halfway up our ski hill road the other
    day just for the training, and if it wasn't for dodging the maniacs coming down and crossing into my
    lane, the views and the cold wind that had me at a 45 degree angle at times, it would have been
    painfully boring.

    Paladin "the road to hell is paved . . . "

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 31 Mar 2003 11:47:18 -0800, Paladin wrote:

    > Paladin "the road to hell is paved . . . "

    Hehe, I like that one. I've been spending too much time on the road (well, fireroads also), and have
    a lot more to go before this place dries out. Nearly got my ass whipped by a young'en (well, 36)
    yesterday. Seems it takes a lot longer to get in shape than it used to.

  9. "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 31 Mar 2003 11:47:18 -0800, Paladin wrote:
    >
    > > Paladin "the road to hell is paved . . . "
    >
    > Hehe, I like that one. I've been spending too much time on the road (well, fireroads also), and
    > have a lot more to go before this place dries out. Nearly got my ass whipped by a young'en (well,
    > 36) yesterday. Seems it takes a lot longer to get in shape than it used to.
    >
    > --
    > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
    Been able to get a few trail rides in over the past week, a weekend with the family in Moab (kid's
    spring break and all) and one of the few dry trails here in town. I have put on a few hundred road
    miles this season training for a local race and I must say, the road to hell may be paved, but it
    sure has improved my early season mountain biking conditioning.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  10. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 31 Mar 2003 11:47:18 -0800, Paladin wrote:
    >
    > > Paladin "the road to hell is paved . . . "
    >
    > Hehe, I like that one. I've been spending too much time on the road (well, fireroads also), and
    > have a lot more to go before this place dries out. Nearly got my ass whipped by a young'en (well,
    > 36) yesterday. Seems it takes a lot longer to get in shape than it used to.

    I know. This guy I started in the sport riding just 2 years ago led the ride last night and I even
    lost sight of him a couple times. I was hoping he was a lot younger, but I learned that I only had
    him whipped by 4 years, and I've tried hard to stay in shape this winter! He's a deputy, chopper
    pilot, all that macho stuff, so maybe he's just in better shape over all. I'll chalk it up to better
    metabolism or something. ??? Some secret Amway product. That's it!

    Paladin

  11. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On 31 Mar 2003 11:47:18 -0800, Paladin wrote:
    > >
    > > > Paladin "the road to hell is paved . . . "
    > >
    > > Hehe, I like that one. I've been spending too much time on the road (well, fireroads also), and
    > > have a lot more to go before this place dries out. Nearly got my ass whipped by a young'en
    > > (well, 36) yesterday. Seems it takes a lot longer to get in shape than it used to.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
    > Been able to get a few trail rides in over the past week, a weekend with the family in Moab (kid's
    > spring break and all) and one of the few dry trails here in town. I have put on a few hundred road
    > miles this season training for a local race and I must say, the road to hell may be paved, but it
    > sure has improved my early season mountain biking conditioning.

    They also say tofu is good for you... Paladin