RR: Road

Doug Taylor

Guest
Say what you will about road riding, roadies, etc., but one thing is true: you can do it when live
in a place where the trails are covered with a few feet of unridable slush in the middle of March,
and you're jonesing for some cycling after one m-f'ing long winter. I love my winter sports, but
when the temps hit 60 deg. for the first time in 4 or 5 months, and when it was below zero not more
than 3 days ago, and the skies are sunny and blue, and the roads are clear, and the snow banks
mostly gone, you ride on the road.

So the club did 35 miles at an early season warm up average speed of 18 mph, and I feel just great.
It'll be another 3 weeks or maybe a month until the trails are dry enough for IMBA friendly riding,
so it'll have to be 100% road for the near term. But it's cycling.

-dt

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:55:58 -0500, "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Say what you will about road riding, roadies, etc., but one thing is true: you can do it when live
>in a place where the trails are covered with a few feet of unridable slush in the middle of March,
>and you're jonesing for some cycling after one m-f'ing long winter. I love my winter sports, but
>when the temps hit 60 deg. for the first time in 4 or 5 months, and when it was below zero not more
>than 3 days ago, and the skies are sunny and blue, and the roads are clear, and the snow banks
>mostly gone, you ride on the road.
>
>So the club did 35 miles at an early season warm up average speed of 18 mph, and I feel just great.
>It'll be another 3 weeks or maybe a month until the trails are dry enough for IMBA friendly riding,
>so it'll have to be 100% road for the near term. But it's cycling.
>
>-dt

Nice, although this is a MTB NG I don't mind seeing any type of RR.

Peace, Bill

:-]

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Say what you will about road riding, roadies, etc., but one thing is true: you can do it when live
> in a place where the trails are covered with a few feet of unridable slush in the middle of March,
> and you're jonesing for
some
> cycling after one m-f'ing long winter. I love my winter sports, but when the temps hit 60 deg.
> for the first time in 4 or 5 months, and when it was below zero not more than 3 days ago, and the
> skies are sunny and blue, and the roads are clear, and the snow banks mostly gone, you ride on
> the road.
>
> So the club did 35 miles at an early season warm up average speed of 18
mph,
> and I feel just great. It'll be another 3 weeks or maybe a month until
the
> trails are dry enough for IMBA friendly riding, so it'll have to be 100% road for the near term.
> But it's cycling.
>
> -dt

And with 10-20 inches in the forecast for my neck of the woods, it is my only pratical option for
2-wheel outdoor exercise.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

In article <[email protected]>, Bill Wheeler
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Nice, although this is a MTB NG I don't mind seeing any type of RR.

You may regret saying that as *I* ride the road bike all year round.

Last Saturday there was a stiff headwind as we headed west up the Altamont pass and down South
Flynn. (Imagine having to pedal to keep the speed up going downhill.) But the payback was getting to
FLY eastward down Patterson Pass with a 30mph wind at our backs. Later that afternoon was a little
flat 20-mile tour around town.

Week before: 65 miles 6400'--Ione, Sutter Creek, Jackson, Butte Mountain, Tabeaud, Pioneer, Volcano
(long lunch break), Ram's Horn to Daffodill Hill, down Hale Rd to Fiddletown, Plymouth, and Willow
Creek back to Ione.

Recently: Livermore-Mt. Diablo and return and my very first time x-country skiing at Bear Valley.

TD (tires have gone flat on the MTB)

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available on request