RR: Roadie Report

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful day
    here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30 Mile out
    and back taking the route I thought would have the least
    traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed to generate a nice burn
    in the legs. Still lots of snow and/or mud on the trails but
    this is a start. If the weather holds Hartman's will be dry
    pretty quickly. Looking forward to some real rides in the
    coming weeks!

    --

    Matt

    "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Tags:

  2. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:58:07 -0700, MattB wrote:
    > Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    > day here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30
    > Mile out and back taking the route I thought would
    > have the least traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed to
    > generate a nice burn in the legs.

    Spring has sprung! I was going to do some spinning on the
    stationary bike yesterday morning, but stepped outside to
    find it 60 degrees & sunny! So I took to the road on my
    MTB/cruiser. A little fireroad too, but it was really soupy.

    So I'm assuming you're riding a "real" road bike?

    Putting the 3.5" riser handlebars on my old Marin really
    changes the riding attitude. Its an entirely different
    seating position - far more upright; it took some getting
    used to because of the instability. It feels like the bikes
    I rode when I was a kid, and I find myself riding not simply
    for exercise but just for the heck of it. I've intentionally
    avoided putting a computer on this bike to keep from
    thinking about how fast I ride. My overall ride times are
    about the same, so I think its more a change of mindset than
    a change of speed. I'm looking forward to trying this "new"
    bike on some long fireroad rides.

    The downside is I no longer have a loaner MTB; with the high
    center of gravity, it'd be pretty useless on singletrack.

    > Still lots of snow and/or mud on the trails but this
    > is a start. If the weather holds Hartman's will be dry
    > pretty quickly. Looking forward to some real rides in
    > the coming weeks!

    Hear that...

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
    address, at least)

  3. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    > day here with
    temps
    > up to about 45 F. I just did a 30 Mile out and back taking
    > the route I thought would have the least traffic. It
    > wasn't bad and I managed to generate a nice burn in the
    > legs. Still lots of snow and/or mud on the trails but this
    > is a start. If
    the
    > weather holds Hartman's will be dry pretty quickly.
    > Looking forward to
    some
    > real rides in the coming weeks!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Good to hear you're back on the bike. 45....crap, it was 86
    here yesterday and supposed to be again all week. Started a
    ride yesterday at 8 a.m. and it was already in the mid 60's.
    Finished at 11 and it was 78. And it was flippen humid for
    Phoenix, I shed a few pounds of water.

    It was nice not having to lug around extra layers, though!

    Gary

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    BB wrote:
    > On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:58:07 -0700, MattB wrote:
    >> Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    >> day here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30
    >> Mile out and back taking the route I thought would
    >> have the least traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed
    >> to generate a nice burn in the legs.
    >
    > Spring has sprung! I was going to do some spinning on
    > the stationary bike yesterday morning, but stepped
    > outside to find it 60 degrees & sunny! So I took to the
    > road on my MTB/cruiser. A little fireroad too, but it
    > was really soupy.
    >
    > So I'm assuming you're riding a "real" road bike?

    Yeah. It's the one I bought early in college, about 1992
    IIRC: http://mattb.net/images/misc/Trek2100_web.jpg

    Not state of the art (notice the downtube shifters) but it
    does the trick for the few road rides I do every spring.

    > Putting the 3.5" riser handlebars on my old Marin really
    > changes the riding attitude. Its an entirely different
    > seating position - far more upright; it took some getting
    > used to because of the instability. It feels like the
    > bikes I rode when I was a kid, and I find myself riding
    > not simply for exercise but just for the heck of it. I've
    > intentionally avoided putting a computer on this bike to
    > keep from thinking about how fast I ride. My overall ride
    > times are about the same, so I think its more a change of
    > mindset than a change of speed. I'm looking forward to
    > trying this "new" bike on some long fireroad rides.

    My SS cruiser with big bars and the kid trailer hitch fills
    that niche for
    me. Pulling the kid on an SS is a whole new level of
    workout!

    > The downside is I no longer have a loaner MTB; with the
    > high center of gravity, it'd be pretty useless on
    > singletrack.

    I found when I had a loaner it didn't get used much anyway.
    I still have an old Cannondale HT that I keep for when my
    dad is visiting. It's available if anyone really wants to
    use a loaner, which never happens (apart from dad).

    Matt

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:56:17 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

    > Good to hear you're back on the bike.

    Oh crap, I'd forgotten about the surgery - yes, Matt, good
    to hear you're back on a bike!

    --

  6. MattB wrote:

    > Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    > day here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30
    > Mile out and back taking the route I thought would
    > have the least traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed to
    > generate a nice burn in the legs. Still lots of snow
    > and/or mud on the trails but this is a start. If the
    > weather holds Hartman's will be dry pretty quickly.
    > Looking forward to some real rides in the coming
    > weeks!

    That is all I've been able to do lately, it will be 3 weeks
    till the lower elevation trails are open. I don't mind road
    biking that much, but once the Iron Horse is over, it will
    be all (well mostly) trails on the new ride.

    BTW, I started road riding last year to ride the Iron Horse,
    and I felt that it got me in good shape once the mountain
    biking season started. Yeah, I know, I should drive a bit to
    Utah or NM and ride, but many other factors make that
    difficult in winter or summer.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Craig Brossman wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >
    >> Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    >> day here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30
    >> Mile out and back taking the route I thought would
    >> have the least traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed
    >> to generate a nice burn in the legs. Still lots of
    >> snow and/or mud on the trails but this is a start. If
    >> the weather holds Hartman's will be dry pretty
    >> quickly. Looking forward to some real rides in the
    >> coming weeks!
    >>

    > That is all I've been able to do lately, it will be 3
    > weeks till the lower elevation trails are open. I don't
    > mind road biking that much, but once the Iron Horse is
    > over, it will be all (well mostly) trails on the new ride.
    >
    > BTW, I started road riding last year to ride the Iron
    > Horse, and I felt that it got me in good shape once the
    > mountain biking season started. Yeah, I know, I should
    > drive a bit to Utah or NM and ride, but many other factors
    > make that difficult in winter or summer.

    I've found telemark skiing also does wonders for mountain
    biking. Much more so than alpine. It's just quicker and
    easier for me to ride than ski (no car needed to ride) and
    that's all I had time for yesterday. I got a good day of
    skiing in on Saturday. I always like the time of year I can
    do sports associated with different seasons back to back.
    Kind of fun!

    Matt

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    MattB ran this through spell check:

    > I've found telemark skiing also does wonders for mountain
    > biking. Much more so than alpine. It's just quicker and
    > easier for me to ride than ski (no car needed to ride) and
    > that's all I had time for yesterday. I got a good day of
    > skiing in on Saturday. I always like the time of year I
    > can do sports associated with different seasons back to
    > back. Kind of fun!
    >
    > Matt

    drifting....

    heh, ride or ski? ;-)

    Today's my first day I've felt 100% and it's gorgeous and 60
    out. I'm playing catch up with everything, compounded by the
    fact that I ran my machine needle through my finger when I
    attempted to get workdone on Friday... how's that for a sign
    not to push it!!! Broke the machine too. ;-(

    I did get a call to do a ride with a 1500 ft climb to day,
    but I have to get at least shoveled out here.

    Sat was gorgeous. I went up to the mountain, but instead of
    skiing, I was a scripted "patient' in the region's ski
    patrol Senior first aid exam. This is a higher lever
    optional certification for patrollers than the standard
    training... I have to be a proud mama for a minute and say
    my student patroller son passed with flying colors. The bad
    part of it was laying on a foam pad in the snow all day, in
    the sun, pretending to have various sorts of injuries
    depending on what the scenario required. Heehee.... my son
    was "treating" me for a pretend disclocated shoulder, and I
    just had to say, in character... my you are such a nice
    young man...

    Yesterday I got a few turns in, but when my ( lack of
    correct) wax slowed me down to a standstill I quit for the
    afternoon.

    You are right about the tele-mtb connection. I'd better get
    out my tele skis at least once this year. I'm still havnign
    a love affair with my B2's.

    penny

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:58:07 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Yep. I got out on the road bike yesterday. Beautiful
    > day here with temps up to about 45 F. I just did a 30
    > Mile out and back taking the route I thought would have
    > the least traffic. It wasn't bad and I managed to
    > generate a nice burn in the legs. Still lots of snow
    > and/or mud on the trails but this is a start. If the
    > weather holds Hartman's will be dry pretty quickly.
    > Looking forward to some real rides in the coming weeks!

    nice, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
    than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
    immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]