RR: Rock, Rock and More Rock

Jd

Guest
I didn't know where the hell Kevin was taking us, other than it was going to be on some rock. This
was a good thing because the forecast was calling for breezy conditions and sunny skies with
tempratures in the 70's. Being on the rock usually means a few degrees warmer, so on the drive I was
busy doing a little prehydrating. I think Brian was crashed out in the back most of the way,
possibly fearing that Kevin and I were going to take him on a Death March.

Access to the trailhead was no problem with a high clearance vehicle and we found a nice
campsite that was sheltered from the wind by a Pinyon/Juniper forest. It was still early in the
day, so hurrying was not an option as the motions of getting ready to ride were gone through.
Sunscreen is finally being added to the ritual, as Spring is in full swing here on the Western
Slope of the Rockies.

The initial spin was a pretty good warmup on a semi-sandy doubletrack that eventually gave way to a
somewhat packed singletrack. I knew we were in for some sand pit riding as soon as the packed track
gave way to a large flat of rippled rock slabs with sand pits in-between. Soon the track began to
drop and in doing so, gave way to interspersed sections of really fun technical and steep rock.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/rockday1.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303002.jpg

Yes, this was a good thing, following a well marked route with all kinds of great moves right on the
trail. It was a technical smorgasbord and we were in a feeding frenzy. The route didn't seem to have
any rhyme or reason, except going over the most difficult terrain it possibly could. It had become
very evident why Kevin had chosen this route for our day's ride, he was up for a challenge.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303004.jpg

All of us ended up walking certain parts, even Kevin. Some of the steeps up were seemingly
impossible for all, except professional trials riders. Whomever had designed this route had a sick
mind, for which we thank them. It's a great testimonial to the fact that trails like this are needed
and not every "mountain bike" trail needs to be some groomed and sanitized piece of buff dirt.
Cleaning anything on this route was a gratifying experience, especially riding in "blind", as none
of us had been there before.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303006.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303007.jpg

The markings led us into a great sandpit wash via a good 100 yard final drop on an outstanding
series of back to back moves, highlighted with a nice roll from a slab and over a bench mark that
was set in concrete right in the middle of the trail. Those USGS dudes must have been delerious when
they added that one to the mix. In dropping in, I didn't even notice it because I was looking two
moves ahead all of the way down. We all saw it very clearly on the way back up after finding out we
had overshot our intended route a bit. No biggie though, because it was all good either direction.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303005.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/rockday3.jpg

Our intended route was not difficult to find while riding opposite direction. The markers were
somewhat hidden from view while riding in and in some places it appeared as if certain trail
markings were deliberately hidden. Some people's kids. Undaunted, there was only one thing left for
us to do, ride. That's the spirit of mountain biking and the adventures it provides.

While our original foray was quite technical, it had a different flavor than what we found ourselves
riding at this point. Our out and back had bigger moves and was more wide open, whereas this route
was tighter with harder turns and more trials oriented riding. Though Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors,
I'll go with these two over what they have any day, especially the red flavored rock.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/rockday4.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303010.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303011.jpg

Climb, drop, climb, drop, climb, drop...this is what the trail does. Most of it was on rock. Some
of it was in deep sandpits that would probably even give Lee Bridgers (aka The Sandman of Moab)
fits. Walking was not an option in a few places here as well, it was a neccessity. Both Brian and
Kevin emptied their shoes out on more than one occasion. I didn't bother, but did take one of the
breaks as an opportunity to kick back on the rock. Kevin followed my lead here and Brian
disappeared up the trail.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/rockday7.jpg

With the nature of the trail it wasn't wise to let anyone venture too far off of the group, so we
followed Brian's lead after a few minutes. The track did a few different things from this point,
most welcome was a traverse section with a view that didn't require the concentration most of what
we had ridden did. Of course that all changed quickly and we went back to the ledgy rockfest.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/rockday5.jpg

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303013.jpg

A consensus was taken after a while and all three of us were beginning to run low on water. I had
noticed a marked bailout from the maze that we were looking for more cheese in and it was decided
that a backtrack to that point and ride out would be wise The rest will have to wait for another
day. The bailout was a somewhat welcome change of dirt singletrack, except the really sandy parts.
There were a few rock slabs and ledges, but nothing like what we had ben on all day to this point.
Brian spotted a local sunning themself on one particular rock slab. They didn't mind having their
picture taken either.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/041303014.jpg

The singletrack gave way to doubletrack and an easier surface to ride as we headed back to the
Pinyon/Juniper forest we had parked in. The wind was cooking up and out of the canyons. Luckily, it
was mostly a tailwind, but riding out of a few of the high box canyons became a headwind and ws a
bit of a chore. Brian started to bonk and ran out of water just as I did. Kevin suggested I peel off
and bring the truck back for Brian because he was not doing very well, so I chunked down a few cogs
and started booking. It didn't take very long to get to the truck. By the time I had tossed my bike
in and stowed my gear in a secure manner for the drive up the rough doubletrack and started my
truck, Kevin and Brian pulled up. Brian is a great testimonial to the stubborness and intestinal
fortitude of a Fruitian of Norwegian descent.

Kevin had brought some munchies, 7Up and beer and we lit right into that while in varying stages of
of nowhere. Kevin sure has some cool places scoped out and this one was not a disappointment at all.
The cheeseburgers were fantastic and a great way to compliment such a beefy ride.

JD

Why JD, is that you freeriding? na, couldn't be that.

Dave (excellent pics!)

Very, very cool. Was this far from home?

JD wrote:

<snip>

> Kevin had brought some munchies, 7Up and beer and we lit right into that while in varying stages
> of loading up. The great motivator to get going was the promise of a great cheeseburger in the
> middle of nowhere. Kevin sure has some cool places scoped out and this one was not a
> disappointment at all. The cheeseburgers were fantastic and a great way to compliment such a
> beefy ride.

One of the great things about this group, and one of the most infuriating, is seeing some of the
great trails that people get to ride. That looks so good, so challenging, so much fun and I'm so
insanely jealous :)

bomba wrote:

> That looks so good, so challenging, so much fun and I'm so insanely jealous :)

Me too! And I'm 3000+ miles nearer to it. ;-(

Steve

On 14 Apr 2003 10:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

[snip very nice RR]

I couldn't resist this on, as of love to ride rocks. I must say I've never seen or ridden anything
quite like that.

Thanks for making me feel small.

:-]

> I didn't know where the hell Kevin was taking us, other than it was going to be on some rock. This
> was a good thing because the forecast was calling for breezy conditions and sunny skies with
> tempratures in the 70's. Being on the rock usually means a few degrees warmer, so on the drive I
> was busy doing a little prehydrating. I think Brian was crashed out in the back most of the way,
> possibly fearing that Kevin and I were going to take him on a Death March.
>
> JD

Great Pics, you ridin fool.

Paladin

On 14 Apr 2003 10:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

<SNIP Nice RR>

Very Cool RR JD. Some very impressive terrain.

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:17:32 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On 14 Apr 2003 10:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
>>

>> I couldn't resist this on, as of love to ride rocks.
>
>Say wha'?!?
>
>Bill "a simple 'nice' would suffice :)" S.

Hey, I'm the typo King!

I couldn't resist this one, as I love to ride rocks.

By my saying "I couldn't resist this one" I meant that the title was to captivating for me to pass
up, I just had to read it. There's more to that title than I think even JD realizes.

Rock, Rock, and More Rock.

Don't you see now Sorni? Be the title, be the Rock.

Peace, Bill

:-]

JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Kevin had brought some munchies, 7Up and beer and we lit right into that while in varying stages
> of loading up. The great motivator to get going was the promise of a great cheeseburger in the
> middle of nowhere. Kevin sure has some cool places scoped out and this one was not a
> disappointment at all. The cheeseburgers were fantastic and a great way to compliment such a
> beefy ride.
>
> JD

Cheers Jock - I forwarded this to Kath, as an example of what most of us wish we could get up to -
she was very impressed, and loved the scenery. 'Honeymoon?', she said, heheheheh........

Shaun aRe

news:<[email protected]>...
> JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Kevin had brought some munchies, 7Up and beer and we lit right into that while in varying stages
> > of loading up. The great motivator to get going was the promise of a great cheeseburger in the
> > middle of nowhere. Kevin sure has some cool places scoped out and this one was not a
> > disappointment at all. The cheeseburgers were fantastic and a great way to compliment such a
> > beefy ride.
> >
> > JD
>
> Cheers Jock - I forwarded this to Kath, as an example of what most of us wish we could get up to -
> she was very impressed, and loved the scenery. 'Honeymoon?', she said, heheheheh........

Get her a trials bike, or a good solid FS XC rig for that place.

JockDuff

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 01:17:32 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> On 14 Apr 2003 10:06:07 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
> >>

> >> I couldn't resist this on, as of love to ride rocks.
> >
> >Say wha'?!?
> >
> >Bill "a simple 'nice' would suffice :)" S.
> >

> Hey, I'm the typo King!
>
> I couldn't resist this one, as I love to ride rocks.
>
> By my saying "I couldn't resist this one" I meant that the title was to captivating for me to pass
> up, I just had to read it. There's more to that title than I think even JD realizes.

I know Rock and subtle references.

> Rock, Rock, and More Rock.

BTW, Angry Man and I are going to do a series once a month on the local public radio station here on
the Roots of Metal. It's even netcast for the non-junctionites and a webpage is forthcoming.

> Don't you see now Sorni? Be the title, be the Rock.

Let There Be Rock.

JCDC

JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
news:<[email protected]>...
> > JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Kevin had brought some munchies, 7Up and beer and we lit right into that while in varying
> > > stages of loading up. The great motivator to get going was the promise of a great cheeseburger
> > > in the middle of nowhere. Kevin sure has some cool places scoped out and this one was not a
> > > disappointment at all. The cheeseburgers were fantastic and a great way to compliment such a
> > > beefy ride.
> > >
> > > JD
> >
> > Cheers Jock - I forwarded this to Kath, as an example of what most of us wish we could get up to
> > - she was very impressed, and loved the scenery. 'Honeymoon?', she said, heheheheh........
>
> Get her a trials bike, or a good solid FS XC rig for that place.

Heheheh, yeah, maybe I would, but she doesn't ride MTB - she just wanted to go for the scenery, and
to wait at the end for me with beer, cheeseburgers, firts aid kit and nurses outfit,
heheheheh...heheh......heheheh! ',;~}~

> JockDuff

Cheers again Jock, ya gruff owd bugger ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

On 16 Apr 2003 20:53:51 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>> Rock, Rock, and More Rock.
>
>BTW, Angry Man and I are going to do a series once a month on the local public radio station here
>on the Roots of Metal. It's even netcast for the non-junctionites and a webpage is forthcoming.

I'll be sure to look for the netcast.

:-]

> Truth in those words, however until you see this particular place, making that call is not really
> valid. It's pretty damn rugged.

Nothing that Ot Pi or Cesar Canas can't handle...but then again, not everybody is Ot or Cesar...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!