RR Rollercoaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penny S.

In case you are wondering why a ride would be called this:
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/rollercoaster.jpg

just fun and games. The beginning was a little hard to find since a few acres was logged at the
road. So we literally XC'd our way until we hit the jeep road that turns into wide trail. Then
the fun begins: up down up down up down up down on the rollers. I haven't been out here in 3
years, and it's lots easier than I remember. Craig's into speed and leaves the rest of us
behind.. it IS a fun trail to just fly on but I have a hard time letting go... I experiment with
how little brake I can get away with, maintaining momentum to get up the rollers, and shifting so
I can maintain my climbing.

Sometimes the bottoms of the rollers are sand pits. Not too bad today, the biggest hazard is
pinecones all over the place. The bummer is this area is utility land, posted no motorized
vehicles... I guess the 4x4ATV driver we say are typical bubbas and don't care. The super bummer is
that what once was single track is getting widened ;-(

Our two friends haven't been out here before and they are having a blast. Remember Michelle form
last week ( pimping, enthusiast newbie? She has a pretty big grin after I told her she's been bumped
up to the A list for phone calls, showing up for two rides in a row.

On the way back I experiment with really letting it rip on the rollers; the rush when you have
enough speed going back up, to pedal evenly, no spinning or pushing, , right at the top and then get
thrown right down into the next one...

10 miles, ups and downs, fun day

Penny

Penny says:

>In case you are wondering why a ride would be called this:
>www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/rollercoaster.jpg

That looks like fun. And exactly the opposite of what I did yesterday with the kid. We have a
bike-path that goes from Bristol to Providence, up the east side of Narragansett Bay, about 15 miles
from end to end and most of it beside water. It's something I had always wanted to try, so (in
honour of Father's Day) I was given a Day Pass and a kid for company, and away we went. Being as how
it is all next to the ocean, the elevation really doesn't change (AT ALL!), until you get near the
city and have to climb the bluffs to get above and behind some abandoned oil-port facilities. A
quick flit up and over the bridge to Fox Point, where the path officially ends, and it is time to
turn around and go home again. Not the most eventful ride, unless you count encounters with idiots
on the trail (such as the two _bike patrollers_, FFS, who ignored every stop sign), but a nice
gentle Daddy's Day ride. The kid was good company, too. Every now and then we'd get passed by some
GRS with a USPS uniform on, so Rob would boogie out after them, reel them in with the knobiies
singing a merry tune, and then pull over and shout "Hey, Dad, look at this!" while bending over
something trailside, as though he had been JRA. Gotta love the brat sometimes ;-)

Steve

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:37:13 -0700, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>In case you are wondering why a ride would be called this:
>www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/rollercoaster.jpg
>
>just fun and games. The beginning was a little hard to find since a few acres was logged at the
>road. So we literally XC'd our way until we hit the jeep road that turns into wide trail. Then the
>fun begins: up down up down up down up down on the rollers. I haven't been out here in 3 years, and
>it's lots easier than I remember. Craig's into speed and leaves the rest of us behind.. it IS a fun
>trail to just fly on but I have a hard time letting go... I experiment with how little brake I can
>get away with, maintaining momentum to get up the rollers, and shifting so I can maintain my
>climbing.
>
>Sometimes the bottoms of the rollers are sand pits. Not too bad today, the biggest hazard is
>pinecones all over the place. The bummer is this area is utility land, posted no motorized
>vehicles... I guess the 4x4ATV driver we say are typical bubbas and don't care. The super bummer is
>that what once was single track is getting widened ;-(
>
>Our two friends haven't been out here before and they are having a blast. Remember Michelle form
>last week ( pimping, enthusiast newbie? She has a pretty big grin after I told her she's been
>bumped up to the A list for phone calls, showing up for two rides in a row.
>
>
>On the way back I experiment with really letting it rip on the rollers; the rush when you have
>enough speed going back up, to pedal evenly, no spinning or pushing, , right at the top and then
>get thrown right down into the next one...
>
>
>10 miles, ups and downs, fun day
>
>Penny
>

Nice, sorry about what used to be single track.

Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should
give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Status
Not open for further replies.