RR: Rollers (for DaveB)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gplama, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Rollers have always been the 'dark side' for me - something I've always heard about and seen, but never actually ridden. I've read the horror stories, I've seen the YouTube vids of people looking like muppets, I've not been looking forward to the day I first rode on rollers!

    Day 1 - Set up and spin. One hand on the wall, no worries. The first thing I noticed was the bike has yaw AND roll on these things (and maybe pitch if you really screw things up). We ain't in lock-and-load trainerville now toto! I lasted 5mins - all over the shop like a little kid without training wheels for the first time. Lucky I didn't have my HR on, it'd be hitting max. I was even forgetting to breathe at some points. Give me 85km/h+ chasing cars down Mt Hotham any day over the rollers at this point! eeeeek!!!

    Roller rest day - Had a word to the wise (the wise being JayWoo) on our Sunday training hitout in the Dandenongs about rollers. He's old hat on the rollers, and I'm sure he enjoyed my stories of white-knuckle fear. DrWoo prescribed a 30min session on the rollers, nothing less. The theory being that 30mins is enough time for _anyone_ to get the hang of rollers.

    Day 2 - Recovery day from real riding means it was time for the 30mins of prescribed fun! Latest ep of the Simpsons playing on the trainer room PC, and I was away. 5mins of wall holding and it was time to go it without assistance. After using the wall as a balance, it gave me a bit of a fright when the rear of the bike rolled up and over to the other side. A few wobbles later and "high cadence high cadence" thoughts, it was all systems go. On the tops, in the drops, tucking down changing gears, it was all happening. Then NO HANDS! HAH look mum! PRO! These things are easy!

    So, if anyone has been holding off on rollers because of the horror stories, they're not at all that bad. They'll be an awesome warm-up tool before races, and a good alternative to the stationary stomping machine during winter.

    lama

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Aaaawwww.

    not even a leeettle off in the loungeroom? :( :D

    you're no fun, Lama-man

    I'm telling Von to lube the roller surfaces.

    Lama-on-Ice-time :D

    Flying"i fought the rollers (once) and the rollers won"Dutch

  3. JayWoo

    JayWoo New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2004
    Rock & Roll(ers)!! I still haven't got the guts up to go 'no hands' & yr there already!
    Now it's your turn to show me how to attack like a MoFo up hills:) Guess I just have to try and stay with you for a start:eek:

    Jay 'racing @ 38' Woo

  4. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    Congratulations Lamadude!!!! I know what you are talking about. I hit the rollers for the 1st time on Sunday. I had a big strong security blanket beside me "holding" the bike as required. He even got me sitting up no hands ("look Ma!!") Then he walked away and, well, it was back to holding the rail.

    The whole experience brought back vivid memories of being a little kid learning how to ride for the 1st time. :D

  5. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gplama wrote:

    > Some stuff about riding rollers...
    >
    > lama

    Good work. And no hands as well. I've not managed
    that yet.

    I can remember the first time I tried rollers (with no
    help). Took me ages to get balanced but I finally
    managed to balance but I was fighting the damn things
    all the time. Exhausting. Then I realized I'd put the
    bike on backwards. The front wheel was sitting on two
    rollers which was where the back wheel was supposed to
    be. Happily, no-one saw me.

    DeF.

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Mar 6, 1:00 pm, DeF <""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au">
    wrote:
    > gplama wrote:
    >
    > > Some stuff about riding rollers...

    > > lama

    > Good work. And no hands as well. I've not managed
    > that yet.

    I reckon no hands is easier than with hands. I could ride no hands in
    a few minutes, but hands on the bars was a lot harder for me.

    My rollers weren't set up well though ... maybe that helped/hindered
    things.

  7. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    You want rollers? How about no-hands, ONE-LEG roller drills?

    http://teamchainreaction.com/video/hungerford/

    hippy
    - falls of his magtrainer

  8. What is a good brand for rollers that's not too expensive?

  9. Resound

    Resound Guest

  10. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    On Mar 14, 6:47 pm, "Spinners_are_winners" <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > What is a good brand for rollers that's not too expensive?

    I have a set of Tacx rollers, they're cheapies, but seem to roll just
    fine.

  11. DeF

    DeF Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> You want rollers? How about no-hands, ONE-LEG roller drills?
    >>
    >> http://teamchainreaction.com/video/hungerford/
    >>
    >> hippy
    >> - falls of his magtrainer
    >>

    > The thing that distracted me most was his hair standing on end. I know he
    > has a fan going, but can rollers build up a charge sort of like a ven der
    > graf generator?

    Yes they can! I don't have long hair but I put my rollers down
    between a car and a wall. After riding for a while, touching
    the metal car gives me a shock - enough to make me swear. I try
    to put my other hand flat on the wall when stopping to avoid this.

    I'm not yet ready to try the one leg drill though...

    DeF