RR 'round the mountain.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of a
    mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the drainage
    that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to get
    specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. Today's crew is the two of us, our
    son, and a buddy "Big Larry" who's got a rather new Rocky Mtn Slayer and just got clearance to ride
    after breaking his arm.

    My biggest worry is that there might be a lot of blow down but in 12 miles there were two trees.
    These old fireroads double as snowmachine routes in the winter and they keep it very cleared. (
    logs. not their beer cans ;-( ) The trail is really old fire access roads, not traveled much, damp
    and soft with a duff surface. A mile up, a mile down, and a very gentle 6.5 miles climb wandering
    through the cedar forest. Most of the creek are in culverts, with the occasional mucky crossing, and
    beautiful small waterfalls. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg

    Every stream and gully had to be noted and mapped into the GPS. Earlier this year Craig had numbered
    the gullies while still on skis, note the "4"

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/ben4.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/gpsman.jpg

    The climb was wearing on some members of our group so we had a little break:
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/lunch.jpg

    and then went on our merry way. The riding was very interesting, the trail surface was deceptive as
    you knew it was soft and you were working, when you walked on it you could real tell. Then I see
    Craig stopped up ahead, fussing with his bike. What ever could be the matter?
    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg

    This brings the terms "chain suck" to a whole new level. Somehow the stick got picked right up and
    didn't get spit out. What to do? Break time, tool time. The dealer hanger is removed and straighten
    out by pounding on it with a rock. Silly me, I forgot I had the video option with the camera! Good
    repair tho... pedals smooth as long as you don't change gears.

    Finally we hit the part where we can say, really guys no more up. A quarter mile on the real road,
    cut back off through the picnic area, and hit the cat track back around the mountain. This is the
    fun part, the most technical part of the ride and I get a rush because it's been years since I've
    done this and I can really feel the great difference.

    as for the bike... new hanger, possbile new derailler, who knows what else...:-(

    The old access roads, while not the same as riding single track were a lot of fun because they are
    so untraveled. The most likely get more use for snomobiles in the winter than in the summer. Most
    people take thier mtn bikes here to shuttle runs form the top, and they are missing out as there is
    so much to explore.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    [snip nice pics and RR]

    >The old access roads, while not the same as riding single track were a lot of fun because they are
    >so untraveled. The most likely get more use for snomobiles in the winter than in the summer. Most
    >people take thier mtn bikes here to shuttle runs form the top, and they are missing out as there is
    >so much to explore.

    True.

    >Penny

    :-]

  3. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of a
    > mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the
    > drainage that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to
    > get specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. Today's crew is the two of us,
    > our son, and a buddy "Big Larry" who's got a rather new Rocky Mtn Slayer and just got clearance to
    > ride after breaking his arm.
    >
    > My biggest worry is that there might be a lot of blow down but in 12 miles there were two trees.
    > These old fireroads double as snowmachine routes in the winter and they keep it very cleared. (
    > logs. not their beer cans ;-( ) The trail is really old fire access roads, not traveled much, damp
    > and soft with a duff surface. A mile up, a mile down, and a very gentle 6.5 miles climb wandering
    > through the cedar forest. Most of the creek are in culverts, with the occasional mucky crossing,
    > and beautiful small waterfalls. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg
    >
    > Every stream and gully had to be noted and mapped into the GPS. Earlier this year Craig had
    > numbered the gullies while still on skis, note the "4"
    >

    > Penny

    Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some
    good memories.

    Paladin

  4. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of
    >> a mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the
    >> drainage that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to
    >> get specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. >
    > Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
    > memories.
    >
    > Paladin

    It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.

    www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Paladin thoughtfully penned:

    > > Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
    > > memories.
    >
    > It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.
    >
    > www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg

    May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)

    Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.

  6. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni thoughtfully penned:
    >> Paladin thoughtfully penned:
    >
    >>> Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
    >>> memories.
    >>
    >> It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.
    >>
    >> www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg
    >
    > May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
    >
    > Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.

    that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
    precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
    come too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.

    Penny

  7. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > Sorni thoughtfully penned:
    > >
    > > May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
    > >
    > > Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.
    >
    > that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
    > precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
    come
    > too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.

    Truly sad. That's why I think everyone should keep their previous bike as a backup (if
    possible/applicable), rather than selling and/or cannibalizing
    it.

    (That one pic makes it look like the seat stay snapped in half, but just an optical illusion.)

    Bill "bike shop's open today and tomorrow, honey -- wouldn't hurt to JUST LOOK, right? :)" S.

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Sorni thoughtfully penned:
    >> Sorni thoughtfully penned:
    >>>
    >>> May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
    >>>
    >>> Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.
    >>
    >> that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
    >> precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
    >> come too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.
    >
    > Truly sad. That's why I think everyone should keep their previous bike as a backup (if
    > possible/applicable), rather than selling and/or cannibalizing it.

    oh, he's taking a week for whitewater rafting with his pals, he'll get over
    it.

    > Bill "bike shop's open today and tomorrow, honey -- wouldn't hurt to JUST LOOK, right? :)" S.

    why do you think **I'm**taking it in..!?

    penny