RR 'round the mountain.



Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penny S.

Guest
Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of a
mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the drainage
that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to get
specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. Today's crew is the two of us, our
son, and a buddy "Big Larry" who's got a rather new Rocky Mtn Slayer and just got clearance to ride
after breaking his arm.

My biggest worry is that there might be a lot of blow down but in 12 miles there were two trees.
These old fireroads double as snowmachine routes in the winter and they keep it very cleared. (
logs. not their beer cans ;-( ) The trail is really old fire access roads, not traveled much, damp
and soft with a duff surface. A mile up, a mile down, and a very gentle 6.5 miles climb wandering
through the cedar forest. Most of the creek are in culverts, with the occasional mucky crossing, and
beautiful small waterfalls. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg

Every stream and gully had to be noted and mapped into the GPS. Earlier this year Craig had numbered
the gullies while still on skis, note the "4"

www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/ben4.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/gpsman.jpg

The climb was wearing on some members of our group so we had a little break:
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/lunch.jpg

and then went on our merry way. The riding was very interesting, the trail surface was deceptive as
you knew it was soft and you were working, when you walked on it you could real tell. Then I see
Craig stopped up ahead, fussing with his bike. What ever could be the matter?
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg

This brings the terms "chain suck" to a whole new level. Somehow the stick got picked right up and
didn't get spit out. What to do? Break time, tool time. The dealer hanger is removed and straighten
out by pounding on it with a rock. Silly me, I forgot I had the video option with the camera! Good
repair tho... pedals smooth as long as you don't change gears.

Finally we hit the part where we can say, really guys no more up. A quarter mile on the real road,
cut back off through the picnic area, and hit the cat track back around the mountain. This is the
fun part, the most technical part of the ride and I get a rush because it's been years since I've
done this and I can really feel the great difference.

as for the bike... new hanger, possbile new derailler, who knows what else...:-(

The old access roads, while not the same as riding single track were a lot of fun because they are
so untraveled. The most likely get more use for snomobiles in the winter than in the summer. Most
people take thier mtn bikes here to shuttle runs form the top, and they are missing out as there is
so much to explore.

Penny
 
B

Bill Wheeler

Guest
[snip nice pics and RR]

>The old access roads, while not the same as riding single track were a lot of fun because they are
>so untraveled. The most likely get more use for snomobiles in the winter than in the summer. Most
>people take thier mtn bikes here to shuttle runs form the top, and they are missing out as there is
>so much to explore.

True.

>
>Penny
>

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]
 
P

Paladin

Guest
"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of a
> mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the
> drainage that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to
> get specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. Today's crew is the two of us,
> our son, and a buddy "Big Larry" who's got a rather new Rocky Mtn Slayer and just got clearance to
> ride after breaking his arm.
>
> My biggest worry is that there might be a lot of blow down but in 12 miles there were two trees.
> These old fireroads double as snowmachine routes in the winter and they keep it very cleared. (
> logs. not their beer cans ;-( ) The trail is really old fire access roads, not traveled much, damp
> and soft with a duff surface. A mile up, a mile down, and a very gentle 6.5 miles climb wandering
> through the cedar forest. Most of the creek are in culverts, with the occasional mucky crossing,
> and beautiful small waterfalls. www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/waterfall.jpg
>
> Every stream and gully had to be noted and mapped into the GPS. Earlier this year Craig had
> numbered the gullies while still on skis, note the "4"
>
>
> Penny

Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some
good memories.

Paladin
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
Paladin thoughtfully penned:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Today's ride was circumnavigation of Mt Spokane. It's a fun ride, but this had a dual purpose of
>> a mapping project that Craig (hubby ) is working on for the ski patrol. This ride follows the
>> drainage that clueless idiots drop into when they are going where they shouldn't, and he needs to
>> get specific coordinates going for the various gullies and so on. >
> Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
> memories.
>
> Paladin

It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.

www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg
 
S

Sorni

Guest
"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Paladin thoughtfully penned:

> > Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
> > memories.
>
> It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.
>
> www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg

May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)

Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
Sorni thoughtfully penned:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Paladin thoughtfully penned:
>
>>> Cool, Penny! great illustrated ride report. I used to ski mt Spokane, brought back some good
>>> memories.
>>
>> It was a fun day. Tho I am not relishing the repair bill on his bike.
>>
>> www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/craig1.jpg www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/bike/uhoh.jpg
>
> May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
>
> Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.

that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
come too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.

Penny
 
S

Sorni

Guest
"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sorni thoughtfully penned:
> >
> > May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
> >
> > Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.
>
> that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
> precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
come
> too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.

Truly sad. That's why I think everyone should keep their previous bike as a backup (if
possible/applicable), rather than selling and/or cannibalizing
it.

(That one pic makes it look like the seat stay snapped in half, but just an optical illusion.)

Bill "bike shop's open today and tomorrow, honey -- wouldn't hurt to JUST LOOK, right? :)" S.
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
Sorni thoughtfully penned:
> "Penny S." <pe[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Sorni thoughtfully penned:
>>>
>>> May I suggest saving a little extra and buying your hubby a NEW HELMET? :)
>>>
>>> Bill "unless the foo-foo colors were just camera-created" S.
>>
>> that was on the list for next item to be replaced but parts to make bike functional again take
>> precedence at this point. Poor guy, we're going out thursday and he took the day off, "hey can I
>> come too" ( the grrl's ride) and I reminded him that bike is "broken". Long face.
>
> Truly sad. That's why I think everyone should keep their previous bike as a backup (if
> possible/applicable), rather than selling and/or cannibalizing it.
> >

oh, he's taking a week for whitewater rafting with his pals, he'll get over
it.

> Bill "bike shop's open today and tomorrow, honey -- wouldn't hurt to JUST LOOK, right? :)" S.

why do you think **I'm**taking it in..!?

penny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads